Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-17, 06:51 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Will D7 Fisher Cath. ever return to playoffs?

Irish haven't made it since 2006. In '07, they beat state champion Newark Cath.

40 players on the roster, many many underclassmen.

What gives? How hasn't FC been more successful on the gridiron lately?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-17, 08:50 PM
Freshman

philly1622 is on a distinguished road
School is small, tuition is expensive, 2nd private school in Lancaster (FCA). All seem to hurt them right now.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-17, 08:28 AM
All Ohio

They also sponsor golf, XC, and soccer, which is pretty insane for a school with so few boys to work with.

Do they just schedule stupidly? I remember five or so years ago they would play D3's like Buckeye Valley and Whitehall, and would drive all across Ohio to get whipped by teams like McComb and Paint Valley. Seems like other teams in their league figured out how to schedule winnable games out of conference.

Something's got to give: they almost always have talent, and they do always have smart & dedicated kids that make great student-athletes.
Old 09-14-17, 08:30 AM
All District

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Not sure the school will be around long enough for them to make it back to the playoffs.
Old 09-14-17, 09:01 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Not sure the school will be around long enough for them to make it back to the playoffs.
This is also a (grim) possibility.
Old 09-14-17, 09:16 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
This is also a (grim) possibility.
Somewhat off topic but relevant....

Have there been more private (mainly Catholic) schools that have closed/been consolidated across the state over the past say 50-75 years then are actually still in existence today?

My gut guess is yes but I don't really know. Seems like every decent sized city in Ohio had at least one Catholic high school that grew up with the influx of industry (and population). Portsmouth Notre Dame or Lancaster Fisher Catholic, for example.

I know that there have been quite a few mergers of single gender schools into coed to keep things afloat over the years. In the Cincinnati area I think that's true for most of the smaller GCL schools. Two all-girls Catholic high schools, Mercy and McAuley, who have been D1 for sports most of their existence, are merging into one starting next year.

Roger Bacon and Purcell used to go toe to toe with the other GCL big boys once upon a time but a football game between those schools and the GCL South big schools would be a bad thing for everyone involved. I would some of the mid to small Catholics in Cleveland were more of a challenge to say St. Ignatius back in the day, too.
Old 09-14-17, 09:19 AM
Junior Varsity

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Probably not this year... 0-3 with at least three more likely losses on their schedule.
Old 09-14-17, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post

Have there been more private (mainly Catholic) schools that have closed/been consolidated across the state over the past say 50-75 years then are actually still in existence today?

My gut guess is yes but I don't really know. Seems like every decent sized city in Ohio had at least one Catholic high school that grew up with the influx of industry (and population). Portsmouth Notre Dame or Lancaster Fisher Catholic, for example.

I know that there have been quite a few mergers of single gender schools into coed to keep things afloat over the years. In the Cincinnati area I think that's true for most of the smaller GCL schools. Two all-girls Catholic high schools, Mercy and McAuley, who have been D1 for sports most of their existence, are merging into one starting next year.

Roger Bacon and Purcell used to go toe to toe with the other GCL big boys once upon a time but a football game between those schools and the GCL South big schools would be a bad thing for everyone involved. I would some of the mid to small Catholics in Cleveland were more of a challenge to say St. Ignatius back in the day, too.
Yep. Here's some SE Ohio towns that have/had Catholic high schools:

New Lexington
Bellaire
Ironton
Chillicothe
Portsmouth
Lancaster
Zanesville

It'll be very interesting to see if they can do it. Lancaster's economy is dead in the water.
Old 09-14-17, 09:35 AM
All District

Quote:

I'm not sure. I have personally been involved in 2 elementarys that closed. They were in rural areas and it was just after the 2008 market crash.
Old 09-14-17, 11:46 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Hoping to make it to the Berne Union game to see my nephew's kid play. Would have been nice to go to Fairbanks game to see him play against his cousin. He's just a freshman, but I'm guessing he'll see some varsity action all four years. Looks fast and shifty on the Hudl videos. Dad was a stud athlete at Hartley (but I don't remember him playing football) back in the 80's - was the starting pitcher for the Hawks in a game at Cooper stadium against Dublin and Kent Mercker that was billed as a showdown between the two best lefties in Columbus. A few years back, I'd have guessed that the kid would quit football after St Mary's. Good to see some excitement back in the program. I think the lack of success is mostly due to the lack of player development possible with the lack of full commitment that a program that's basically just playing for fun gets. The school is always full of good kids - many of whom are multi-sport athletes - that many programs would love to have. Success can be elusive even when all the right factors seem to be in place. I remember scratching my head at Hartley during the tough years. We have good friends who put three boys thru Fisher ending maybe five years ago. They'd have been great football players, and, if they'd stayed at Lake Catholic, peer pressure would have ensured it. Even then, there was a lot of concussion / maiming injury talk. The demographic that can afford private tuition these days - even as affordable as Fisher - is drifting away from football. And I hope Fisher can stay open. I would have never guessed that the Diocese would just give up on Marion Catholic.
Old 09-14-17, 12:24 PM
All District

MSU2016 is on a distinguished road
It would be sad to see Fisher Catholic Go! I have been following them since I graduate, always am rooting for them and checking in on their scores. I hope that with the numbers increased to 40 and a new head coach that they can turn it around once again. There was nothing like playing football for Fisher Catholic. I remember watching the 98 highlight film every time I would get ready to play a game. Always thinking we were going to win and never once thought we'd lose a game. It was a great time! I hope those kids get to experience those moments that other players have had going through that school. Trust me everyone still supports you guys and roots for the IRISH! Always stay positive and have a good attitude. What makes a turn around is attitude and effort. If you can get all the kids on the team to buy in with a positive attitude and a great effort it can make waves for a program. GO IRISH!
Old 09-14-17, 04:57 PM
Freshman

Natty Daddy is on a distinguished road
Its an enrollment problem. Those FC teams in the early 2000's had 55 to 60 kids in the football program & had a JV team. Kids transferring in & getting seniors to come out and play won't be a long-term solution. They do have a very good qb who is only a sophomore and they do have a good coaching staff. Several very good freshmen also.

FC probably won't close. Its the oldest standing catholic high school in Ohio and they can raise money between its alumni and the Lancaster community.
Old 09-14-17, 06:32 PM
All District

Red Right 88 is on a distinguished road
Insane for a private school to offer golf, cross country & soccer as it may effect football numbers? That's funny actually.

Golfers typically can't tackle worth crap. And the little CC runners? Can't block worth a darn or read a defense. The school could cancel those sports right now and there'd be no additional players for the football team.
Old 09-14-17, 06:37 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

New Lexington
Bellaire
Ironton
Chillicothe
Portsmouth
Lancaster
Zanesville

It'll be very interesting to see if they can do it. Lancaster's economy is dead in the water.
Yep and all poor towns now
Old 09-14-17, 11:56 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:

New Lexington
Bellaire
Ironton
Chillicothe
Portsmouth
Lancaster
Zanesville

If you want to venture into Eastern Ohio, add Cambridge (St. Benedict and later Guernsey Catholic), Coshocton (Sacred Heart), Carrollton (St. Edward), Lafferty (Seton Catholic), Dover (St. Joseph), and Dennison (St. Mary) to that list. The latter 2 combined to form Tusky Central Catholic. Not sure if any of these towns' parochial schools ever offered football.
Old 09-15-17, 10:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Right 88 View Post
Insane for a private school to offer golf, cross country & soccer as it may effect football numbers? That's funny actually.

Golfers typically can't tackle worth crap. And the little CC runners? Can't block worth a darn or read a defense. The school could cancel those sports right now and there'd be no additional players for the football team.
Seeing as how they only have 59 boys 9-11...
Old 09-15-17, 10:47 AM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Probably not. Coaches of the past were better recruiters.
Old 09-15-17, 02:44 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
If you want to venture into Eastern Ohio, add Cambridge (St. Benedict and later Guernsey Catholic), Coshocton (Sacred Heart), Carrollton (St. Edward), Lafferty (Seton Catholic), Dover (St. Joseph), and Dennison (St. Mary) to that list. The latter 2 combined to form Tusky Central Catholic. Not sure if any of these towns' parochial schools ever offered football.
St Ed never played football. I had a cousin who lived in Malvern and went there.

Dover and Dennison played football and, in fact, Dover won a poll title in the late 1960s if I remember.
Old 09-15-17, 02:56 PM
All American

Quote:

Canton - Mount Marie (all girls) and St John (co-ed) merged to form Central Catholic, Brunnerdale Seminary High School (had 400 boys at one point)

Bellevue - Immaculate Conception

Marietta - St. Mary

Celina - Immaculate Conception

Lima - St. Rose, St. Johns and St. Gerard merged to form LCC but, at first St. Gerard refused and actually operated alongside LCC for a period of a few years

Cleveland - Our Lady of Lourdes, Saint John Cantius, St. Michael's, St. Stanislaus merged to form CCC (could have been others), Borromeo Seminary High School, Byzantine, Cathedral Latin, Lourdes Academy, St. Augustine Academy, Sacred Heart Academy

Lorain - Lorain Catholic 1892-1971

Bedford - Chanel and Lumen Cordium

Columbus - Aquinas, Wherle

Hamilton - Hamilton Catholic (boys) and Notre Dame Academy (girls) merged to form Badin

Chillicothe - Central Catholic/Flaget

Delaware - St. Mary

Mt. Vernon - St. Vincent

New Lexington - Holy Redeemer

Somerset - Holy Trinity
Old 09-15-17, 02:57 PM
All American

There were a TON of parish high schools in the big cities (Columbus and Cleveland) before the 1950s consolidations and then 1960s/1970s closures but I cannot remember many of them.
Old 09-15-17, 03:59 PM
All Ohio

New Lexington was actually St. Alyosius.

Chillicothe was Bishop Flaget
Old 09-18-17, 11:47 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Yep and all poor towns now
Lancaster and Chillicothe are not poor towns. Zanesville is a step below them but not poor either. Portsmouth is a poor town and the others are all less than 10,000 people. Hard to keep a private school open if you don't have a population base to sustain it. I cover the SE Ohio region for my company and I see a lot of new businesses opening in Lancaster and Zanesville.
Old 09-18-17, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lancaster and Chillicothe are not poor towns. Zanesville is a step below them but not poor either. Portsmouth is a poor town and the others are all less than 10,000 people. Hard to keep a private school open if you don't have a population base to sustain it. I cover the SE Ohio region for my company and I see a lot of new businesses opening in Lancaster and Zanesville.
In addition to having less population to support parochial schools, I'm also going to guess that SE Ohio has a much smaller percentage of Catholics living there as compared to other parts of the state.
Old 09-18-17, 12:12 PM
All District

SE Ohio is so sparsely populated I would assume there are less Catholics there. Probably the driving force for why so many have closed is the blue collar workers. A lot of blue collar families sent their kids to Catholic schools in the 40s-70s. As manufacturing jobs headed overseas and 2008 crushed the economy you are seeing less families who fall into that category sending their kids to parochial schools. I don't see a lot of white collar families making up the difference. I see them going to Columbus Academy or the newer Protestant private schools. Why send your kid to the 100 year old Catholic school when there are newer Christian schools being built.
Old 09-18-17, 01:46 PM
Freshman

Forepar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly1622 View Post
School is small, tuition is expensive, 2nd private school in Lancaster (FCA). All seem to hurt them right now.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
No doubt all of these are factors...Enrollment issue has been a problem, and the issue isn't getting any easier when the two primary feeder grade schools and one primary feeder junior high are declining in enrollment.

Three other factors - a) St Mary Jr High has NO football for the 2nd straight year. That makes the 40 on the roster this year close to a miracle, but unsustainable in the long run if there is no junior high team in the future.

b) While thrilled to see 40 players, the downside is that there is no JV schedule. Partly because some freshman are getting varsity minutes, but the need to develop game experience for all of them (and be competitive week in / week out) is critical.

c) Football has become even more the "haves" vs the "have nots" in terms of good play. FC beat Millersport handily this past weekend, but a program is not going to be attractive to kids by simply beating Millersport - and there are years Millersport will handle FC. No slight to Millersport, they are in the same predicament. It's simply being the smallest of the smalls in D-VII. Same issues are facing Fairfield Christian - enrollment declining some and they are getting man-handled this year, just a few years removed from some short-term success. Not just losing, but not competitive, barely enough kids to field a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Hoping to make it to the Berne Union game to see my nephew's kid play. Would have been nice to go to Fairbanks game to see him play against his cousin. He's just a freshman, but I'm guessing he'll see some varsity action all four years. Looks fast and shifty on the Hudl videos. Dad was a stud athlete at Hartley (but I don't remember him playing football) back in the 80's - was the starting pitcher for the Hawks in a game at Cooper stadium against Dublin and Kent Mercker that was billed as a showdown between the two best lefties in Columbus. A few years back, I'd have guessed that the kid would quit football after St Mary's. Good to see some excitement back in the program. I think the lack of success is mostly due to the lack of player development possible with the lack of full commitment that a program that's basically just playing for fun gets. The school is always full of good kids - many of whom are multi-sport athletes - that many programs would love to have. Success can be elusive even when all the right factors seem to be in place. I remember scratching my head at Hartley during the tough years. We have good friends who put three boys thru Fisher ending maybe five years ago. They'd have been great football players, and, if they'd stayed at Lake Catholic, peer pressure would have ensured it. Even then, there was a lot of concussion / maiming injury talk. The demographic that can afford private tuition these days - even as affordable as Fisher - is drifting away from football. And I hope Fisher can stay open. I would have never guessed that the Diocese would just give up on Marion Catholic.
"with the lack of full commitment that a program that's basically just playing for fun gets."

Not even close. The full commitment is there, they aren't "just playing for fun." They have not had the numbers in recent years, and if there will be no junior high program, that will be the case moving forward. It isn't about commitment - those that are in the boat are committed like crazy.

Quote:
They also sponsor golf, XC, and soccer, which is pretty insane for a school with so few boys to work with.

Do they just schedule stupidly? I remember five or so years ago they would play D3's like Buckeye Valley and Whitehall, and would drive all across Ohio to get whipped by teams like McComb and Paint Valley. Seems like other teams in their league figured out how to schedule winnable games out of conference.

Something's got to give: they almost always have talent, and they do always have smart & dedicated kids that make great student-athletes.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't on both counts.

First, in order to maintain what enrollment they do have, they must offer soccer, X-country and golf - otherwise they lose 15-25 students - at a school that cannot afford to lose 1. But if football doesn't improve, they will lose 10-15 kids who want to and can play football elsewhere (LHS or county school, depending upon residence).

Second, scheduling is a continuing problem - they scheduled ultra-tough historically outside the league, and the "old" MSL was tough enough - playing "up" was good for computer points and toughening up for the league season.
However, now, other than the Harvest Prep emergence in the past 2-3 years in football, the MSL Cardinal has probably been one of the weakest leagues in the state (based on out-of-conference records, computer points, etc...). FC, Millersport, Grove City Christian, Worthington Christian, Berne Union, all are admittedly weak in football over the past 5-10 years (with an occasional aberration and WC in the infancy stage of football). It is hard to schedule similar programs outside the league when you are the smallest on the block in the first place. In the big picture, not sure that Crooksville, Fairbanks and Northridge (this year's non-league opponents) would have been seen as playing up in the past, but that's where FC football is at the moment. And when the scheduling/league get watered down, interest (from parents who pay the tuition and from the kids who play) will wane for many.

Maybe a "closer to home" example (with a twist) is that FC formerly scheduled Newark Catholic. That morphed into a competitive series with "big brother" for a while - but that series eventually became too lopsided (not just in terms of wins but in terms of competitiveness within a game). The series was dropped for good reason on both sides (although NC is gradually starting to see enrollment/football declines as families shift away from NC (for several reasons not the fault of NC, just demographics/economics/preferences) and from football generally. NC never offered soccer, supposedly to avoid negative effect on football - whether that was successful move or good move can be debated, but declining enrollments and fading interest in playing HS football at that level is starting to hit NC as well. Glad to see Rosecrans in the MSL and having some early season success - that is one hope for FC, as Rosecrans is even smaller in enrollment. Glad to see FC get a win, but worried about Millersport's ability/desire to keep its program going - they are as small as FC, if not smaller, in terms of enrollment and roster size.

One other factor that is unrelated to sports but I think is critical to the enrollment issue. FC, Newark Catholic, Catholic schools in general, were historically seen as being better academically than the public school alternatives. That is not the perception any longer in our area. That may still be true in comparing Columbus city schools to Watterson, Desales, St. Charles, Hartley and even Ready....but not when those schools are compared to the suburban schools (Olentangy, Dublin, Hilliard, UA). And in Fairfield County, Lancaster has built all new grade schools, is building new junior highs, and has implemented the latest in technology, etc... (as have several of the county schools surrounding Lancaster). FC's building is 45 years old; there is a PERCEPTION that technology is lagging. Without question, the Jr. High is an antiquated 100 yr old building with no plan of replacement. The faculties of both (and at any smaller Catholic school) is perceived as weaker than it has ever been. Not saying it is absolutely true, but younger teachers with school loans cannot afford to teach at FC - there is an ever-widening gap in pay/benefits compared to their public school peers. And younger teachers are needed to teach/implement the technology (that FC doesn't have enough of in the first place). The perception is that older teachers are hanging on, because they have no large pension to support them and because they have given their professional lives to the schools where they teach (which is laudable in a vacuum, but does not result in healthy influx of new teachers and concepts). Given these perceptions. a parent (even a staunch Catholic parent) has to question whether the investment of $7,000 in tuition at FC (or a lesser amount at a feeder school) is worth it. Some of the issue is PERCEPTION, but some of the differences are now very real - from my own experience with my kid, FC's academic quality may be just as good as it was, but everyone around it has improved by a large margin. FC has stayed the same. Larger schools offer a breadth of course offerings and extra-curricular activities that rival a small college - and they look it (go look at FU's campus, Amanda's school, Liberty Union's upgrades). Not saying better academics, but the appearance of at least equal academics is becoming clear. Further, FC has dropped languages and a science offering. Add to that a comparative decline in sports (whether it be in terms of wins/losses/ competitiveness/ game attendance or media coverage), and FC, the "little engine that could" is facing a steep mountain, whether it be football playoffs or just long-term survival.

Last edited by Forepar; 09-19-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 03:51 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
I apologize if prior post came across heavy-handed. Very frustrated with the decline at FC in many areas, and especially with the Diocese's policy of requiring every Catholic high school to be self-sufficient. And none of the parishes feel much responsibility - it's not their school, it's a Diocesan school, they've got their own grade school and other agenda items to be concerned about (the consistent response for the past 10+ years).

So I don't see that the Diocese gave up on Marion Catholic. The Diocese gave up on every high school that can't financially support itself, and with tuition dollars being the primary source of income, declining enrollment is a challenge that schools outside I-270 cannot readily fix, if they can fix it at all. I know enrollment is down at some high schools within I-270 (Desales, Watterson, etc...) but their enrollment figures (800 +/-) still provide some economies of scale and breadth of offerings that FC cannot match. And the Columbus market has a higher overall volume of target students to reach (number of Catholics, number of families with sufficient income to pay tuition, etc...) - Lancaster does NOT have nearly the number of POTENTIAL families, both in terms of raw number of Catholics and in terms of financial wherewithal). Every school faces that to an extent, but when enrollment is at 160, followed by rumors of cuts/closings, enrollment will drop further, and drop of only 20 students is almost catastrophic at that size. After which there will be courses dropped, faculties will shrink or be less-qualified (due to pay discrepancy in a world where teachers have $100,000 of school loans to pay), and enrollment drops even further. Becoming a perennial loser on the football field doesn't help the cause. No fault of the kids or the coaches or the effort - it's a numbers game that doesn't add up for smaller communities, even the sizes of Lancaster, Newark or Zanesville in the not-to-distant future --- unless there is a massive shift in philosophy with the Diocese that putting dollars into Catholic high school education is a higher priority. And the Diocese would also need to put some of the onus back on the parishes as well. I've been told that is NOT happening, and thus my angst.

Last edited by Forepar; 09-18-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 04:13 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Not poor, but Lancaster's median household gross income is $36,000 per 2015 statistics. If you have 2 students at FC, you are looking at $12,000 per year in tuition, 1/3 of the median income. Sure, the term median implies that 1/2 of households make more than $36,000, but even in a household making $70,000 per year, $7,000 (or $12,000) for FC tuition, on top of saving for college and paying grade school tuition for younger brother Johnny, makes FC steep.
Old 09-18-17, 04:16 PM
All Region

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Canton - Mount Marie (all girls) and St John (co-ed) merged to form Central Catholic, Brunnerdale Seminary High School (had 400 boys at one point)

Bellevue - Immaculate Conception

Marietta - St. Mary

Celina - Immaculate Conception

Lima - St. Rose, St. Johns and St. Gerard merged to form LCC but, at first St. Gerard refused and actually operated alongside LCC for a period of a few years

Cleveland - Our Lady of Lourdes, Saint John Cantius, St. Michael's, St. Stanislaus merged to form CCC (could have been others), Borromeo Seminary High School, Byzantine, Cathedral Latin, Lourdes Academy, St. Augustine Academy, Sacred Heart Academy

Lorain - Lorain Catholic 1892-1971

Bedford - Chanel and Lumen Cordium

Columbus - Aquinas, Wherle

Hamilton - Hamilton Catholic (boys) and Notre Dame Academy (girls) merged to form Badin

Chillicothe - Central Catholic/Flaget

Delaware - St. Mary

Mt. Vernon - St. Vincent

New Lexington - Holy Redeemer

Somerset - Holy Trinity
My grandpa graduated from there! I heard a few years ago that they were close to closing the elementary due to declining enrollment. People just don't want to pay tuition when you have good public schools in the area as is the case here in MAC land. Hope you guys can turn it around
Old 09-18-17, 05:31 PM
Freshman

Natty Daddy is on a distinguished road
FC has steered from the image of being a solid academic school that teaches religion into a solid religious school that teaches subjects. Yes it is a catholic school, yes most students are catholic but the schools height owes to the academic reputation and the belief that a Fisher diploma would write a students toward a good school. Their test scores put them below Bloom Carroll and just above Liberty Union. Including Pickerington schools Fisher ranks 4th or 5th in the county depending on the year. There isn't anything academic fc offers that isn't offered at BC or FU or LHS. Back in the day Fisher had the best slate of academic activities in the area like NJCL In The Know and model UN. They would make the newspaper and the school prided itself on being that little engine with good sports, good academics and clubs.

Other than religion Fisher is basically a tiny version of Bloom Carroll or FU that charges tuition. I used to be a huge fan of the Irish but the school has lost its identity I think. Yes great kids that play hard but that trope isn't different than any other school. Times have changed and unless more parents choose to send their kids there it's just going to be the school with a big white cross on 37 that has good sports once every four years and down years all the others.
Old 09-19-17, 11:32 AM
All Ohio

I believe it's still a good school academically. Economics of Lancaster + the school losing the competitive edge in all facets is what's hurting.