Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-17, 09:10 AM
Junior Varsity

MikeSkripac is on a distinguished road
Cooperstown players needed!

I have 6 players from the Ohio Steel 12U team based out of Youngstown, OH and have added two additional strong players. We need 2-4 more players to get to 10-12, and 11 is ideal if we have enough pitching. WE ARE GOING TO COOPERSTOWN DREAMS PARK IN COOPERSTOWN, NY THE WEEK OF 8/26-7/1 AND A LOT OF KIDS HAVE FOOTBALL AND/OR SCHOOL DURING THIS TIME. If you are not familiar with our team please call me for details on the team and how it is run. Since the boys will stay on-site an ideal situation is to have a group of 3 players join us with a qualified coach that will stay on-sight as well (at no cost to the coach) so parents feel comfortable with the arrangements, but I will talk to anyone alone or otherwise who is interested. The cost will be roughly $1500 per kid and accounting will be transparent (I can explain when you call). In fairness to the group a tryout may be needed, and with the possibility of playing 10 games in a week we can't take too much pitching. Thanks, Mike 330-550-2625
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-17, 06:22 PM
Freshman

swobldad is on a distinguished road
$1500 per kid? Good luck with that. When my son went to Cooperstown four years ago he played on a team that had three non-parent coaches, started indoor practices in January, played in multiple tournaments, played in a league, got helmets, bags, etc. Cost was about $1500. Not sure how you justify $1500 a kid for one tournament in Cooperstown, but best of luck to you.
Old 06-13-17, 07:22 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSkripac View Post
I have 6 players from the Ohio Steel 12U team based out of Youngstown, OH and have added two additional strong players. We need 2-4 more players to get to 10-12, and 11 is ideal if we have enough pitching. WE ARE GOING TO COOPERSTOWN DREAMS PARK IN COOPERSTOWN, NY THE WEEK OF 8/26-7/1 AND A LOT OF KIDS HAVE FOOTBALL AND/OR SCHOOL DURING THIS TIME. If you are not familiar with our team please call me for details on the team and how it is run. Since the boys will stay on-site an ideal situation is to have a group of 3 players join us with a qualified coach that will stay on-sight as well (at no cost to the coach) so parents feel comfortable with the arrangements, but I will talk to anyone alone or otherwise who is interested. The cost will be roughly $1500 per kid and accounting will be transparent (I can explain when you call). In fairness to the group a tryout may be needed, and with the possibility of playing 10 games in a week we can't take too much pitching. Thanks, Mike 330-550-2625
$1,500 per kid and u have to try out....good luck with that.... did you already put money down to Cooperstown for this trip?
Old 06-14-17, 05:12 AM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Is it really $1500 to go to Cooperstown these days? I think it was $850 when my son went 5 years ago...
Old 06-14-17, 11:50 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
It's $995 now....so if he's looking for 2-3 kids and wanting to cover the cost of the coach just with those kids, you're at $1300 or so. Cooperstown was great, but I think it was $795 when we went.....at $995, it's getting close to the point that I'm not sure I would do it again.....but that's just me I guess. Either way, seems strange a team planning on going to Cooperstown only has 6 original kids going when the trip is 2 weeks away
Old 06-14-17, 12:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
It's $995 now....so if he's looking for 2-3 kids and wanting to cover the cost of the coach just with those kids, you're at $1300 or so. Cooperstown was great, but I think it was $795 when we went.....at $995, it's getting close to the point that I'm not sure I would do it again.....but that's just me I guess. Either way, seems strange a team planning on going to Cooperstown only has 6 original kids going when the trip is 2 weeks away
Ouch...I agree. I didn't know it was now almost $1k.

BTW, strange is a nice way of saying it.
Old 06-16-17, 12:28 AM
Junior Varsity

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
End of august beginning of september
Old 06-23-17, 07:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Here is some additional info. The dates are 8/26 - 9/1. The costs are only exactly what we have to pay to make it happen. There are no coaches fees, profits, or anything else being added that isn't being paid out to Cooperstown or someone else for another expense. It is $995 per kid X a minimum 11 spots, and we will be using 3 coaches that we also have to pay $995 apiece for. Of course we aren't going to ask coaches to not only do all the work of a coach but also pay $995 to do it, so the coaches fees will be divided among the player's families as I am sure is done with most teams that go. Cooperstown also makes you pay for 2 pairs of pants per kid, plus just about every team brings trading pins and we are going to have a sizable bill for that, and every team is required to bring an ump and we have figured in an estimated $500 for that. Do the math and depending on variables it will be up to about $1500. All accounting will be transparent and any money left over will be paid back to families. EVERY TEAM THAT GOES TO COOPERSTOWN HAS THESE SAME REQUIREMENTS AND EXPENSES YET THEY ARE ALWAYS SOLD OUT 3 YEARS IN ADVANCE! That tells you what people think of the experience. To the people that are trashing this post with uninformed incorrect remarks please stop. You are only making it more difficult to give these families what they want. ANYONE WHO WANTS REAL INFORMATION PLEASE IGNORE THESE RIDICULOUS REMARKS AND CALL ME. Thanks, Mike
Old 06-23-17, 09:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSkripac View Post
Here is some additional info. The dates are 8/26 - 9/1. The costs are only exactly what we have to pay to make it happen. There are no coaches fees, profits, or anything else being added that isn't being paid out to Cooperstown or someone else for another expense. It is $995 per kid X a minimum 11 spots, and we will be using 3 coaches that we also have to pay $995 apiece for. Of course we aren't going to ask coaches to not only do all the work of a coach but also pay $995 to do it, so the coaches fees will be divided among the player's families as I am sure is done with most teams that go. Cooperstown also makes you pay for 2 pairs of pants per kid, plus just about every team brings trading pins and we are going to have a sizable bill for that, and every team is required to bring an ump and we have figured in an estimated $500 for that. Do the math and depending on variables it will be up to about $1500. All accounting will be transparent and any money left over will be paid back to families. EVERY TEAM THAT GOES TO COOPERSTOWN HAS THESE SAME REQUIREMENTS AND EXPENSES YET THEY ARE ALWAYS SOLD OUT 3 YEARS IN ADVANCE! That tells you what people think of the experience. To the people that are trashing this post with uninformed incorrect remarks please stop. You are only making it more difficult to give these families what they want. ANYONE WHO WANTS REAL INFORMATION PLEASE IGNORE THESE RIDICULOUS REMARKS AND CALL ME. Thanks, Mike
this part of Ohio(west central ohio) most schools are starting schools.....and it is football season......but wish you luck, I heard it is a great experience.....we tried it one year, didn't make the cut...and I know their is a waiting list

maybe you can reach out to playersthat is on a team that is on a waiting list and get some of their players...
Old 06-23-17, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
this part of Ohio(west central ohio) most schools are starting schools.....and it is football season......but wish you luck, I heard it is a great experience.....we tried it one year, didn't make the cut...and I know their is a waiting list

maybe you can reach out to players that is on a team that is on a waiting list and get some of their players...
Nice thoughts, but he's got a much better shot if he eats the pin cost, fund-raises to cover the coaches if they aren't daddies (and if they are, find a team dad that isn't looking for a free ride), and just asks for the kid share.
Old 06-24-17, 08:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Nice thoughts, but he's got a much better shot if he eats the pin cost, fund-raises to cover the coaches if they aren't daddies (and if they are, find a team dad that isn't looking for a free ride), and just asks for the kid share.
fund raising should have been started a year ago

I wonder how much the deposit was?
Old 06-24-17, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
One would be a fool to jump in on this. If you want to blow 1500 you can get your kid a lot of personal instruction that will help hi, become a better player.
Old 06-24-17, 02:20 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Why did the other half of team not go?
Old 06-24-17, 05:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
One would be a fool to jump in on this. If you want to blow 1500 you can get your kid a lot of personal instruction that will help hi, become a better player.
The Cooperstown Dreams Park experience is pretty cool, but a lot of what makes it is sharing it with the team. Not sure about just jumping in with "some guys"......
Old 06-24-17, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Why did the other half of team not go?
Didn't want to pay for coaches and pins ?
Old 06-25-17, 01:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Cooperstown Dreams Park experience is pretty cool, but a lot of what makes it is sharing it with the team. Not sure about just jumping in with "some guys"......
If it was a team you have been a part of then so be it. Back in the late 80s I got a call from some tool bag a coach to play in some continental all star tournament with a chance to move onto the national version if we won. I had much more fun on my regular hometown team than with the hodge podge group put together for that so callex special tourny.

Sounds as if some families did not want to be involved with this one, pr the team I just tjrown together. Either way that should be a warning to prospective players but there willmbe some daddy who will pony up the dough and brag how their son was selected tp be in this son called elite experience
Old 06-25-17, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

Cant imagine bringing guys that happened to have a bad weekend, easy chance for a toxic situation. I think 12u is to young for the hired gun thing, but 16u plus can handle.
Old 06-25-17, 08:44 PM
All American

Quote:
that is a great point......
Old 06-26-17, 06:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I had a great experience at Cooperstown with my son...even got to coach. Expensive, but very fun with lots of great memories. 2nd year with that team...I see your point.

Though, we did have to pay as coaches...we weren't able to pass that along to the other players. Barrack sleeping wasn't my idea of a vacation though...LOL!
Old 06-27-17, 02:24 AM
All Yappi

[QUOTE=boomer24;6782609]I had a great experience at Cooperstown with my son...even got to coach. Expensive, but very fun with lots of great memories. 2nd year with that team...I see your point.

Though, we did have to pay as coaches...we weren't able to pass that along to the other players. Barrack sleeping wasn't my idea of a vacation though...LOL![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't pay to sleep in barracks....
Old 09-11-17, 05:36 PM
Junior Varsity

This is my final post on this thread and is directed at swobldad, bigkat, tcgobucks, boomer24, cabezadecaballo, and thavoice. You all need to step back and take a look at what you are doing on this sight. Without knowing anything about our team or the head coach (me) you all made comments, some much worse than others, suggesting this opportunity was shady (hidden profits), falsely advertised, involved a poor team, had an environment that caused people to not want to continue with the team, or was impossible to put together and have a good week in Cooperstown. I waited until the playing week was over to respond so that our teams effort would speak for itself. We spent the week in Cooperstown WITH A FULL SQUAD OF 11 LIKE WE WANTED which ended up including 8 of our regular players. All Ohio Steel players have started and finished their season happy every year in our existence so far. The reasons for lack of full participation in this tournament include cost, burnout, and most importantly it was a tough week to go needing to miss school and football. Neverless we collected $1500 per family which went toward the kids fee of $995, the coaches fees of $270 per kid, pants were $36 (read the fine print on the Dream's Park sight, you have to provide pants), $112 per kid for 45 trading pins, and $9 per kid for a $100 gift for our ump. Refunds were issued to each family for $78 each. We spent a week in this tournament playing and coaching at the highest level posting a 6-0 pool play record while giving up less than 2 runs per game and securing a 2 seed out of 104 teams. THEN WE WON 4 ELIMINATION GAMES AND PLAYED IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE PARK IN WHAT WILL BE THE GREATEST EXPERIENCE OF MOST OF THESE BOYS' AND PARENTS' BASEBALL LIVES!!! We lost a great game 4-1 against a highly skilled team. We did all this showing everyone there the highest level of sportsmanship all the way through earning the respect of so many other teams there and we ended up gathering a following that was routing for us to the end. It felt as if the entire stadium routed for Ohio Steel in the championship game. Coach after coach and umpire after umpire commended us on both our level of skill and the way we presented ourselves professionally on the field. So you see all of your comments were just inaccurate bashing. All you did was scare away kids from what could have been the best baseball experience of their lives, and force a man (me) who was working his butt off to provide this for the kids to have to work even harder to provide it. What good does it do to get on this sight and bash what you have no idea about, especially when it has nothing to do with you and you have nothing to gain? You need to find a more productive way to spend your time and stop hurting others. Respectfully, Coach Mike Skripac, manager of the 2017 Kentucky Nationals week 2 champions, and 2017 week 13 Cooperstown Runner-up Champions!
Old 09-12-17, 09:40 AM
Freshman

shawnp is on a distinguished road
Well said Mike. The team's success is summarized in another post here on Yappi (Link provided below). Congratulations Ohio Steel. Every boy, including the 3 that joined for Cooperstown that weren't part of our core squad, walked away with memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. That record of accomplishment will always endure in their hearts as well as on the Cooperstown Dreams Park website.

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305334
Old 09-12-17, 10:43 AM
All Ohio

Mike,

That sounds like a great weekend. But, not every one of these turn out this way. For every success story, there are many stories also that have ended poorly. It sounds like you have been in the game a while, you understand this. I do not think its a bad thing that folks on here bring a cautions eye towards these events. While yours seem to go very well, it does not mean that valid questions/concerns should be expressed on a public internet forum.

Again congrats to you and the great weekend you gave those kids.
Old 09-14-17, 12:22 PM
Freshman

shawnp is on a distinguished road
Yakyak, well said. I agree, there are a lot of parents out there that don't know the right questions to ask or what the pitfalls may be when joining a team. I'm always a big advocate for laying out the risks of any decision and highlighting what key questions people should ask. Like...

How many players will be on the team?
What is the exact breakdown of costs and what am I getting for that money?
How is playing time handled?
(if existing team), how many players are returning and what positions did those players play. And why did they decide not to return?
Is there a player handbook and team rules that I can review prior to making a decision?
What will my commitment be for making practices, games and will I be allowed to play on another team along with my commitment to your team?
etc
etc

However, the comments that many on the forum made were not constructive. There is a fine line between telling people what they need to know to make a wise decision and screaming "the sky is falling". The accusations being levied openly on this forum that may have prevented good families and kids from even contacting Mike were primarily accusations of team disharmony, dishonesty, overcharging and malfeasance. Let me give you a few examples:

"$1500 per kid? Good luck with that. When my son went to Cooperstown four years ago [the cost for Cooperstown plus practices and the season was $1500]. Not sure how you justify $1500 but best of luck with that"

Note the sarcasm and underlying implication....namely anyone willing to consider this is getting ripped off. He didn't have a clue yet he was willing to scare everyone away from even inquiring.

"It's $995 now...so if he's looking for 2 to 3 kids and he wants to cover the cost of the coach just with those kids, you're at $1300 or so"

Again, every family got a detailed breakdown of costs with which to make an upfront decision and when it was all said and done everyone got money back after the trip was completed and good money management maintained. A comment like this is not constructive and steers someone away from even asking for the breakdown because they then assume they are getting ripped off without ever learning the true story for themselves.

We didn't have all of our core team players secured for Cooperstown because our Cooperstown bid didn't come to us until April. By that time we had already committed to 11 tournaments with 1 being in Kentucky. Some parents couldn't do Cooperstown because of the additional cost. Some couldn't do it because they couldn't get time off from work. Some decided not to do it because of football and the start of school. Instead, people implied it was a toxic situation. It wasn't but the accusation no doubt scared some away.

The point is, what you say has the ability to steer people in a direction. Several of the posts were not meant to inform people what to ask. Nor were they meant to educate people on areas in which they need to exercise caution to protect themselves. Instead, they were snarky comments meant to degrade and undermine any potential interest. With that said, anyone who meant to throw water on the team's prospects failed. The three boys and families who joined us shared a fun, rewarding and forever-memorable experience with some new friends. Sometimes there is justice in the world.

Best wishes all....and happy baseballing.
Old 09-15-17, 08:34 AM
All Ohio

Shawn,

Its Yappi. Usually you have to dig through the bluster and noise (and many trolls) to get value out of what is posted. Most of the people on this thread are not trolls, but have had passionate experiences on the subject (I guess, dont know them personally)

Personally, I have seen both sides of this fence. Very good, and some poor situations when it comes to joining a team mid stride/season.

If coaches want/need to get information out on a public forum they better expect some negative feedback. That is one reason why going the social media route for information/posts is tough, you cant control the message your getting back. What is great about this teams situation is now there is a reference point for a successful situation, and your program will reap the benefits. I think this is worth the risk of taking some arrows from folks who know/experienced some of the darker aspects.
Old 09-18-17, 11:35 PM
Junior Varsity

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Good job guys. I guess many people on this forum have had bad club experiences. No one on this forum knew your team's particular circumstances. You managed things well and had success on multiple levels. Congratulations and best of luck on your future seasons.
Old 09-19-17, 05:38 PM
All Region

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Congrats Ohio Steel on a tremendous run at Cooperstown.
No joke to make it to the finals there.

We saw you guys at this year's Nations Baseball Ohio State Championships.
Your team played after the Lyndhurst, OH Team that was in the semifinals.
We were talking to some of your folks and remember commenting at the time we though you guys were a class act.

Don't get ruffled on here as people throw bombs.
I have done it myself once or twice but its really stupid.
Not proud of it.

Good luck next season and take care.