Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-18, 02:19 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
State Meet Cross Country Results

Someone asked me for state cross country results from the 1980s. The OHSAA web site shows some state results going back to the first state meet in 1929. They only list team scores and some individuals. 1980 showed the top 20 while 1989 was showing the top 25. Didn't the top 25 used to get certificates from OATCCC calling the top 25 All Ohio.
https://ohsaa.org/sports/cc/pastresults
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-18, 02:28 PM
All District

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
the top 25 have been considered "ALL-OHIO" and got a certificate since, at least, 1989 (my first year coaching)..... This year, with the addition of 4 teams (now 20 instead of 16) they will have the top 30 in each race be considered "ALL-OHIO" and i have heard that the top 20 will get on the Podium.

NOTE: i know that 20 teams qualified last year too, but the OATCCC did not move to make the top 30 All-Ohio until too late for last year's group.
Old 11-08-18, 02:33 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
NOTE: i know that 20 teams qualified last year too, but the OATCCC did not move to make the top 30 All-Ohio until too late for last year's group.
20 teams also qualified two years ago in 2016 https://ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments...s-Country-2016
Old 11-08-18, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
20 teams also qualified two years ago in 2016 https://ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments...s-Country-2016
Believe me. ENA is well aware of that fact.
Old 11-08-18, 03:01 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Why did OATCCC pick to increase the All Ohio to 30. When 16 teams/16 individuals qualified picking 25 for all ohio was around 20% of the total finishers. Now picking 30 from the total number of runners say in 2017 was like picking 16% of the race for All Ohio. I contend if you want to be close to what it was when 16 teams/16 individuals qualified, you should make it 35 and not 30 to get the comparable 20% of the numbers now finishing at the state meet.
Old 11-08-18, 04:04 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
In '82, I thought 12th place was cut off for "ALL-OHIO" but I see they listed 20, but I know it wasn't more than 15th.

We ran at the Scarlet and Gray that year and the start funneled down to a real narrow gate. I was in perfect position. Got to an outside line and had a great position right with Ben Weeman and Eric Buckner. About two strides from the gate, someone fell from my right pushing people as he went down and cutting off and pushing me into the post. Weeman was one step in front of it and missed it completely and Buckner just had a slight jump to get around it. I thought I had corrected and go out of it in the blink of an eye, but when I looked up. Weeman was gone and Buckner was 30 meters ahead of me. It took all race to get back even close. Might have been one of my best races ever, but the results don't show that.

A more interesting thing, and I might be way off on this because I'm going off straight memory, is Oberlin Firelands was a great team back then and won the team race. Whenever I see Firelands, I just think how tough they were and expect them to be that good now. I see them at the start line and my mind just goes back to "They are good!"

It's funny how memories are. I can actually smell the smell of the dew and grass right now just thinking of that race. I know where trees were and the sounds of birds and spectators. It's like I'm right there again. Please tell me Firelands won, so I don't think I'm a liar.
Old 11-08-18, 04:57 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Yes, Oberlin Firelands won in 1982 with 121 points, but they didn't even qualify to state in 1981 or 1983. Ben Weeman won the individual qualifiers race with Eric Buckner 6th.
Old 11-08-18, 06:43 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Yes, Oberlin Firelands won in 1982 with 121 points, but they didn't even qualify to state in 1981 or 1983. Ben Weeman won the individual qualifiers race with Eric Buckner 6th.
Oh, I know all to well where Weeman and Buckner finished. Firelands had a very tough 1-2 from what I remember. I guess 121 points isn't quite as good as I thought they were. Kenston and Chagrin Falls were pretty good too from our area. Dan Franek I think won the Team race. My time was better than Scott Fry. Holy Name. I think Holy name was runners up. NE District went 1,2,3,4 for teams and we dominated the team and individual top places. I remember I was really hoping to be top 10 and thought I could be top 5. The start killed that. There are a lot of schools that are no longer around anymore, or are just terrible in CC now. We only knew the teams and individuals from our area. Knew nothing about the competition until we got to columbus.
Old 11-08-18, 07:20 PM
All Region

ccalum
I think it was only the podium guys (top 12) who got recognition pre-1989.
And psycho, one of my most vivid memories of state was also a fall near the start. In the mud at Scioto in 88, a guy went down in the crowd in front of me right by the first turn. We had no time to think -- just react. I hurdled straight over him, and in the process accidentally elbowed the guy next to me in the chest/neck. The guy taking photos for our team got a great shot of it -- a photo that sadly got lost in a move years ago. I was lucky, cleared the fallen guy and had a decent race. Amazing to think how different it could have been.