Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-03-18, 12:40 PM
Varsity

OVTC is on a distinguished road
Strategy for running in bad weather/sloppy conditions

1) A positive attitude goes a long way for both coaches and team members.
2) Select the natural leaders that will focus on the conditions as a positive challenge and not a negative experience
3) Run the race aggressively when encountering the sloppy parts of the track, others will take a more cautious approach and an advantage could be gained
4) It's important to develop a strategy when encountering the challenges posed by a sloppy course and team participation is a must when walking the course to solicit ideas on how best to run it.

Any other ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-18, 01:21 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
A good shoe for running in muddy conditions

As expected, your shoes are important when running in muddy conditions. Here is one of the better ones.

https://runnerclick.com/salomon-speedcross-4-review/
Old 11-03-18, 01:46 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Socks are really important

For many runners, the worst part about muddy runs is not the mud itself, it’s the cold, wet feet caused by moisture seeping in. For temperature management, consider a pair of neoprene running socks, which acts as an insulating layer on wet runs.
Old 11-03-18, 01:48 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Sloppy conditions in cross country becomes fun, if you're not slipping and sliding every step. Some longer spikes and having a shorter stride makes all the difference.

Last edited by said_aouita; 11-06-18 at 05:45 PM..
Old 11-03-18, 02:02 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Runner's World staff posted this about how to run through muddy terrain.

To avoid slipping, shorten your stride, run more upright than normal, and keep your elbows more angled for lateral balance. If you start to slip, try to relax, slide with the skid, and control the recovery so as not to over-react and fall in the opposite direction.
Old 11-03-18, 02:23 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
Sloppy conditions in cross country becomes fun, if you're not slipping and sliding every step. Some longer spikes and having a shorter stride makes all the difference.
There is a tradeoff on longer spiles. Longer spikes certainly help with the traction, but they can also pick up more mud, putting more weight at the end of the leg.
Old 11-03-18, 03:10 PM
Freshman

needforspeed is on a distinguished road
Start out runners cautiously. Take positions between 30th and 40th place. At the two mile mark breakout to a faster pace, at the 176 yard mark sprint for the podium. Clothing should be light weight, if running in rain avoid long sleeves and running pants as this could absorb the rain and slow you down.
Old 11-03-18, 07:22 PM
All Region

billrodgers is on a distinguished road
The course could be firm and dry too
Old 11-03-18, 07:29 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrodgers View Post
The course could be firm and dry too
Rain is expected 3 out of 4 days before the state meet. Not going to happen.
Old 11-03-18, 08:26 PM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
SUN NOV 4
Partly Cloudy
58°49°
0% chance of rain
MON NOV 5
Cloudy
61°53°
20% chance of rain
TUE NOV 6
Rain
60°39°
80% chance of rain
WED NOV 7
Sunny
53°32°
0% chance of rain
THU NOV 8
Mostly Cloudy
47°37°
20% chance of rain
FRI NOV 9
Rain/Snow Showers
41°25°
60% chance of rain
SAT NOV 10
Partly Cloudy
40°25°
0% chance of rain
Old 11-03-18, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
An overnight low on Friday of 25 could breed another set of problems if the place isn't somewhat dried out by then...
Old 11-03-18, 11:16 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
Snow, ice, mud, hills, etc. have all been a part of late season cross country. They might be a problem for spectators, cars, etc., but let's find a way to ensure those issues don't hinder the state meet. The runners will be fine.

2014 NXN Regional
Old 11-04-18, 05:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
There is a tradeoff on longer spiles. Longer spikes certainly help with the traction, but they can also pick up more mud, putting more weight at the end of the leg.
Great point. This could be a side conversation about shoes. Has any coaches ever noticed if particular brands, because of tread patterns seem to get caked and hold onto mud longer?

Many distance spikes have quite a flexible plate, so clumpy mud normally doesn't stay on the bottom of shoes long. Having longer spikes, the grass with a mud mix can stay stuck to the bottom of shoes longer. I'd rather carry a little mud weight on my shoes, than slip every step.
Old 11-04-18, 08:46 AM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Snow, ice, mud, hills, etc. have all been a part of late season cross country. They might be a problem for spectators, cars, etc., but let's find a way to ensure those issues don't hinder the state meet. The runners will be fine.

2014 NXN Regional
This was never about the runners. The course was runnable on Saturday.

This was about $$$$$ and parking. Not enough parking= less money.
Old 11-04-18, 09:13 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
I was going to Columbus Friday and convinced my wife to drive by on the way there from eastern ohio. We were on 70. I pulled over on the road running behind NTR and climbed a small old fence. The new loop area was not runable. It was standing water and shin deep mud and incredibly uneven, like running in a rutted cornfield. It obviously had not been rolled yet. It appeared that a tractor would have gotten stuck trying. Also the starting line and area behind the start was submerged and not visable. The small drainage ditch at the 400 meter mark was 1-2 foot high standing water on the course. The course was not able to handle one race and six were scheduled, and parking is a necessity as well. I just returned home this morning and catching up with the comments, but the course was not able to handle a race when I saw it Friday.
Old 11-04-18, 09:26 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
For the bollionth time, the OHSAA is non-profit. Anything they do outside of Basketball and football does not need a single dime to be generated. It is not about the money. It may not have been about the races, but parking is a big deal. The second year they had it at NTR, I got caught in traffic and it took me over an hour to go the last 10 minutes of the drive. People were jumping out of their cars and running across fields to try and get there. I missed one of the races I wanted to see and just barely got there in time to see the start of another. I did get to see the two main races I wanted to watch, but I like seeing all of them. They fixed the issue and now I arrive more than an hour early every year just in case. If I drove down there yesterday and could not park, I would be irate. Being able to park is a big deal. It is integral to the entire state meet thing. Not enough parking = disaster. Some of you need to talk to people from the OHSAA and try and find out what the OHSAA really is about and does.

There are also laws and ordinances that NTR most likely has to follow. I am sure they can't just have an event there with law enforcement helping direct traffic, where they obstruct the roads and can't park everyone at their facility. They probably have fines or other consequences that could affect their primary operations going forward. This would go for anyplace that hosted the event. Let's see how long the Saturday Night Lights meet would be allowed to continue if people were parking cars illegally down side streets and obstructing emergency vehicles etc. Enough complaints by residents or one Ambulance that can't get to where it needs to go and it's done.

The biggest thing at either our track and field invites or CC invite is parking and restrooms. Running the races and timing and putting out results is the easy part.

From the pictures people put out, It did not look like it could be made able to run races on the course.
Old 11-04-18, 10:09 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Right,psycho. The issue isn’t whether or not the meet could have been held. The issue is hosting the meet at a venue that can’t handle a couple of days of heavy rain the week of the meet. How many weeks could this go on? How dry does it have to be to park in the grass? If this isn’t a wake up call for the good old boys then there’s no hope.
Old 11-04-18, 10:29 AM
All American

If it comes down to a choice of not holding the meet or severely restricting the number of spectators this year, I would vote for the spectator restrictions. We've lost our way if they choose otherwise.
Old 11-04-18, 11:12 AM
All World

If they don't hold the meet, I will be more than upset. It is one thing to postpone because of weather and parking, but to drop the ball so hard that the meet does not go off at all is negligent. They will have had more than a week to figure this out and that is more than enough time. It's a bit concerning that someone can just jump a fence and roam the course, but that's another discussion for another time.
Old 11-04-18, 12:18 PM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
For the bollionth time, the OHSAA is non-profit. Anything they do outside of Basketball and football does not need a single dime to be generated. It is not about the money. It may not have been about the races, but parking is a big deal. The second year they had it at NTR, I got caught in traffic and it took me over an hour to go the last 10 minutes of the drive. People were jumping out of their cars and running across fields to try and get there. I missed one of the races I wanted to see and just barely got there in time to see the start of another. I did get to see the two main races I wanted to watch, but I like seeing all of them. They fixed the issue and now I arrive more than an hour early every year just in case. If I drove down there yesterday and could not park, I would be irate. Being able to park is a big deal. It is integral to the entire state meet thing. Not enough parking = disaster. Some of you need to talk to people from the OHSAA and try and find out what the OHSAA really is about and does.

There are also laws and ordinances that NTR most likely has to follow. I am sure they can't just have an event there with law enforcement helping direct traffic, where they obstruct the roads and can't park everyone at their facility. They probably have fines or other consequences that could affect their primary operations going forward. This would go for anyplace that hosted the event. Let's see how long the Saturday Night Lights meet would be allowed to continue if people were parking cars illegally down side streets and obstructing emergency vehicles etc. Enough complaints by residents or one Ambulance that can't get to where it needs to go and it's done.

The biggest thing at either our track and field invites or CC invite is parking and restrooms. Running the races and timing and putting out results is the easy part.

From the pictures people put out, It did not look like it could be made able to run races on the course.
I agree with everything but bold part. If it wasn't about the CC money OHSSA wouldn't not have required regional sites to figure out a way to charge $7 per person or lose the ability to host. Wouldn't charge the assistant coaches to be able to coach kids he or she has been coaching all year. The last three years the OSHAA has had a net gain from CC tournament of $179k.

Non profit or not money is always a factor in everything they do.
Old 11-04-18, 01:15 PM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
Long spikes can be difficult for those not accustomed to them. I grew up running on cinder tracks back in the sixties and got used to them.The that I coached athletes found that duct tape helped keep their shoes on their feet. Of course, if you just tie your shoes correctly in the first place, that would go a long way in keeping the foot inside the shoe.
Old 11-04-18, 02:58 PM
All World

Quote:

2014 NXN Regional
Kenosha gets snow for Footlocker once of a while, too. Makes it fun.

Snow and cross country are a wonderful mix!

Half a foot of snow makes for a great race! Six inches of standing water, not so much....
Old 11-04-18, 04:09 PM
All American

If you are suggesting that if the course is still under water next weekend that they should cancel the race if another site is not available, you and I will have to agree to disagree.

While I would not choose such conditions, this is cross country. It's not track, despite the best efforts of some to make it so.
Old 11-04-18, 04:44 PM
All World

I have a Cistern, so I have to have water brought in from time to time. They use a pump that transfers 2000 gallons in well under 10 minutes. I know construction, so I've had to rent things from time to time. They make gas powered pumps that can move "trash" water at 200-300 gallons per minute that are easily gotten. Rent for under $100 a day. 3 or 4 of those for a day will get you on the course. Don't care how much it rains. If you put in the proper drainage going forward, they should never have this issue again. It's a matter of parking at that point. Shuttle people from paved parking areas somewhere and get it done.
Old 11-04-18, 10:14 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I have a Cistern, so I have to have water brought in from time to time. They use a pump that transfers 2000 gallons in well under 10 minutes. I know construction, so I've had to rent things from time to time. They make gas powered pumps that can move "trash" water at 200-300 gallons per minute that are easily gotten. Rent for under $100 a day. 3 or 4 of those for a day will get you on the course. Don't care how much it rains. If you put in the proper drainage going forward, they should never have this issue again. It's a matter of parking at that point. Shuttle people from paved parking areas somewhere and get it done.
Or how about getting some civil engineers out there to resolve this situation once and for all. I'm currently a civil engineering major and I know a thing or two about the discipline.
Old 11-04-18, 11:48 PM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If it comes down to a choice of not holding the meet or severely restricting the number of spectators this year, I would vote for the spectator restrictions. We've lost our way if they choose otherwise.
I would agree. Only allow spectators that can fit on the team bus or van, and they can park in the paved area behind the grandstand. Many would be upset, but it could be a way to salvage the event.
Old 11-05-18, 03:20 AM
All World

Quote:
If you are suggesting that if the course is still under water next weekend that they should cancel the race if another site is not available, you and I will have to agree to disagree.

While I would not choose such conditions, this is cross country. It's not track, despite the best efforts of some to make it so.
Totally agree they should not cancel the race. I'd expect the decision makers to be smart enough not to do that. Cutting the race course a few meters short and avoiding the standing water is a better option than cancelling.

State last weekend was postponed because of parking concerns.
Old 11-05-18, 01:10 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Relax, people. They aren’t going to cancel the race.
Old 11-05-18, 01:42 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
Relax, people. They aren’t going to cancel the race.
How many times will they postpone it?
Old 11-06-18, 10:42 AM
Freshman

oncearunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
Kenosha gets snow for Footlocker once of a while, too. Makes it fun.

Snow and cross country are a wonderful mix!

Half a foot of snow makes for a great race! Six inches of standing water, not so much....
Yep... anyone run Kinney Midwest in '89? This is exactly what it looked like.