Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-18, 04:18 AM
Percidae Percidae is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-02-15
Posts: 82
Percidae is on a distinguished road
States?

I did a search and could not find a thread on this. I have had this question for a while so maybe someone here can help.

What is the etiology of the word "States" as it refers to a state championship event? At some point, I believe mainly the kids, started to refer to the "State" meet or game as "States"? To which States are they referring?

So, instead of saying "Good luck at State" or "See you at State" it is now pluralized.

Does anyone know the when and how of this transition?

This does not really bother me, I am just curious.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-02-18, 06:47 AM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,997
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Brings back memories of the old JJhuddle threads about state vs states. Epic meltdowns on there about it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-18, 07:13 AM
Altor Altor is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-29-10
Posts: 1,139
Altor is on a distinguished road
Two possibilities I see:

1. People pluralize District(s) and Regional(s) in the same way. This is not as offensive because there are at least multiple district and regional contests, even if you are only referring to the one you attend. Since we tend to pluralize these contests, it is somewhat natural to use the plural for State, even if it is wholly incorrect.

2. This is an extension from the trend, at least in Michigan and northern Ohio, to add a possessive S on certain things, especially stores that sound like people's names. How many of you say Kroger's, Meijer's, or JCPenney's? The urban legend is that people in Detroit who worked for Henry Ford years ago would say they worked at "Ford's". This made sense because it was "Ford's plant." But, the name stuck (still a lot of people in Detroit who work at "Ford's") and the possessive S worked it's way into Ohio and other places and also to other businesses where it doesn't belong.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-02-18, 07:13 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,399
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post
I did a search and could not find a thread on this. I have had this question for a while so maybe someone here can help.

What is the etiology of the word "States" as it refers to a state championship event? At some point, I believe mainly the kids, started to refer to the "State" meet or game as "States"? To which States are they referring?

So, instead of saying "Good luck at State" or "See you at State" it is now pluralized.

Does anyone know the when and how of this transition?

This does not really bother me, I am just curious.
Either poor grammar...OR...in the mind of the user they could think of the 3 divisions as being an individual "state meet" themselves. Hence 3 divisions = 3 "state" meets. Hence, "states". That's where my logical mind leads me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-18, 07:37 AM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,957
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
People are wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-02-18, 02:21 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 498
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Brings back memories of the old JJhuddle threads about state vs states. Epic meltdowns on there about it.
Totally remember those threads and I was one losing my mind. I fall decidedly on the non-pluralized side. I have no idea why, but I have an irrational reaction to the word “states”. When I hear somebody refer to states, I asked them when we began inviting Michigan and Indiana to our tournament.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-02-18, 03:06 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 3,020
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Probably not going to help, but could it also be the fact that three state titles are conferred on one day at one site making it not a state title that you went to but states?

I ran in the 80's and recall girls using the term at that time, don't remember guys using it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-02-18, 03:31 PM
Altor Altor is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-29-10
Posts: 1,139
Altor is on a distinguished road
OK. I'm going to be more pedantic now that two people have said this. There are SIX championships held at the State meet, not three.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-18, 09:23 PM
Eye89 Eye89 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-17-14
Posts: 84
Eye89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post



This does not really bother me, I am just curious.

Genuinely happy you are in a place of serenity. I AM bothered by it. It is “State” and I am overt in teaching my kids that it is “State.”



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-18, 06:38 AM
Percidae Percidae is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-02-15
Posts: 82
Percidae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye89 View Post
Genuinely happy you are in a place of serenity. I AM bothered by it. It is “State” and I am overt in teaching my kids that it is “State.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason I am not bothered is the first time I heard it was from my exuberant daughter when she was recounting a discussion she had with her team about their upcoming trip to Hebron. When I first heard her talking about going to States, I thought it was a cute colloquialism. So I have mostly found the term endearing. And I can see some validity to using the plural when they are handing out more than one title at the same event. But I have seen it used by young people to refer to a single event as well. Like a state softball or soccer game. I am now starting to see them on signs. So there is increasing buy-in from older folks that should know better. But it still seems like it is mostly used by the younger crowd.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-03-18, 08:15 AM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 3,020
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
OK. I'm going to be more pedantic now that two people have said this. There are SIX championships held at the State meet, not three.
For boys CC, there are three. I was not including girls in the discussion simply because I clicked on boys track/cross country in the menu.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-03-18, 09:07 AM
SLS SLS is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-29-07
Posts: 162
SLS is on a distinguished road
I prefer "state" because it's one meet with six races, but you are not really going to "state" because presumably you are already in the state and must be a resident of the state in order to qualify.I can accept "states" as a "cute colloquialism" and wouldn't want any quest for linguistic perfection to damper a kid's enthusiasm.

If you plan to attend multiple state meets, maybe "states" would function as as a viable choice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-03-18, 09:23 AM
KevinL KevinL is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-18-15
Posts: 129
KevinL is on a distinguished road
STATE championshipS

STATE...S

STATES

Not a big deal either way.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-03-18, 10:43 AM
avnspc avnspc is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-05-03
Posts: 262
avnspc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
For boys CC, there are three. I was not including girls in the discussion simply because I clicked on boys track/cross country in the menu.
The boys and girls forum were merged quite some time ago

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213886
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-03-18, 07:36 PM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 1,023
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
I concur with Altor about the vernacular of adding an 'S' to words.


It is mostly from the larger industrial cities of Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh from post WW2 in my opinion. Especially when a relative knew the owner of the store. Especially when it was a big whoopie to go the store on the weekend. Many equate this with an educational aspect because these industrial cities are not known for education and smart citizens. But truly it has nothing to do with education.

Decent article on this subject. My in-laws are from Pittsburgh and I deal with this all through the holidays.

https://theincline.com/2018/03/26/wh...-end-of-words/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miss America Organization strikes back at rebellious states Yappi Debate Forum 6 10-12-18 01:06 AM
New York and three other states claim Trump tax law is unconstitutional Yappi Debate Forum 27 07-18-18 10:42 PM
Supreme Court rules states can force online retailers to collect sales tax Yappi General Board 1 06-21-18 02:17 PM
USA at U23s bdhof Wrestling 12 11-28-17 12:44 PM
2017 Senior World Championships Yankeefan33 Wrestling 160 08-27-17 10:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz