Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-02-18, 04:18 AM
Varsity

Percidae is on a distinguished road
States?

I did a search and could not find a thread on this. I have had this question for a while so maybe someone here can help.

What is the etiology of the word "States" as it refers to a state championship event? At some point, I believe mainly the kids, started to refer to the "State" meet or game as "States"? To which States are they referring?

So, instead of saying "Good luck at State" or "See you at State" it is now pluralized.

Does anyone know the when and how of this transition?

This does not really bother me, I am just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-18, 06:47 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Brings back memories of the old JJhuddle threads about state vs states. Epic meltdowns on there about it.
Old 11-02-18, 07:13 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Two possibilities I see:

1. People pluralize District(s) and Regional(s) in the same way. This is not as offensive because there are at least multiple district and regional contests, even if you are only referring to the one you attend. Since we tend to pluralize these contests, it is somewhat natural to use the plural for State, even if it is wholly incorrect.

2. This is an extension from the trend, at least in Michigan and northern Ohio, to add a possessive S on certain things, especially stores that sound like people's names. How many of you say Kroger's, Meijer's, or JCPenney's? The urban legend is that people in Detroit who worked for Henry Ford years ago would say they worked at "Ford's". This made sense because it was "Ford's plant." But, the name stuck (still a lot of people in Detroit who work at "Ford's") and the possessive S worked it's way into Ohio and other places and also to other businesses where it doesn't belong.
Old 11-02-18, 07:13 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post
I did a search and could not find a thread on this. I have had this question for a while so maybe someone here can help.

What is the etiology of the word "States" as it refers to a state championship event? At some point, I believe mainly the kids, started to refer to the "State" meet or game as "States"? To which States are they referring?

So, instead of saying "Good luck at State" or "See you at State" it is now pluralized.

Does anyone know the when and how of this transition?

Either poor grammar...OR...in the mind of the user they could think of the 3 divisions as being an individual "state meet" themselves. Hence 3 divisions = 3 "state" meets. Hence, "states". That's where my logical mind leads me.
Old 11-02-18, 07:37 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
People are wrong!
Old 11-02-18, 02:21 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Brings back memories of the old JJhuddle threads about state vs states. Epic meltdowns on there about it.
Totally remember those threads and I was one losing my mind. I fall decidedly on the non-pluralized side. I have no idea why, but I have an irrational reaction to the word “states”. When I hear somebody refer to states, I asked them when we began inviting Michigan and Indiana to our tournament.
Old 11-02-18, 03:06 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Probably not going to help, but could it also be the fact that three state titles are conferred on one day at one site making it not a state title that you went to but states?

I ran in the 80's and recall girls using the term at that time, don't remember guys using it.
Old 11-02-18, 03:31 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
OK. I'm going to be more pedantic now that two people have said this. There are SIX championships held at the State meet, not three.
Old 11-02-18, 09:23 PM
Varsity

Eye89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post

Genuinely happy you are in a place of serenity. I AM bothered by it. It is “State” and I am overt in teaching my kids that it is “State.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-18, 06:38 AM
Varsity

Percidae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye89 View Post
Genuinely happy you are in a place of serenity. I AM bothered by it. It is “State” and I am overt in teaching my kids that it is “State.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason I am not bothered is the first time I heard it was from my exuberant daughter when she was recounting a discussion she had with her team about their upcoming trip to Hebron. When I first heard her talking about going to States, I thought it was a cute colloquialism. So I have mostly found the term endearing. And I can see some validity to using the plural when they are handing out more than one title at the same event. But I have seen it used by young people to refer to a single event as well. Like a state softball or soccer game. I am now starting to see them on signs. So there is increasing buy-in from older folks that should know better. But it still seems like it is mostly used by the younger crowd.
Old 11-03-18, 08:15 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
OK. I'm going to be more pedantic now that two people have said this. There are SIX championships held at the State meet, not three.
For boys CC, there are three. I was not including girls in the discussion simply because I clicked on boys track/cross country in the menu.
Old 11-03-18, 09:07 AM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
I prefer "state" because it's one meet with six races, but you are not really going to "state" because presumably you are already in the state and must be a resident of the state in order to qualify.I can accept "states" as a "cute colloquialism" and wouldn't want any quest for linguistic perfection to damper a kid's enthusiasm.

If you plan to attend multiple state meets, maybe "states" would function as as a viable choice.
Old 11-03-18, 09:23 AM
All District

KevinL is on a distinguished road
STATE championshipS

STATE...S

STATES

Not a big deal either way.
Old 11-03-18, 10:43 AM
All Region

avnspc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
For boys CC, there are three. I was not including girls in the discussion simply because I clicked on boys track/cross country in the menu.
The boys and girls forum were merged quite some time ago

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213886
Old 11-03-18, 07:36 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
I concur with Altor about the vernacular of adding an 'S' to words.

It is mostly from the larger industrial cities of Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh from post WW2 in my opinion. Especially when a relative knew the owner of the store. Especially when it was a big whoopie to go the store on the weekend. Many equate this with an educational aspect because these industrial cities are not known for education and smart citizens. But truly it has nothing to do with education.

Decent article on this subject. My in-laws are from Pittsburgh and I deal with this all through the holidays.

https://theincline.com/2018/03/26/wh...-end-of-words/