Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-24-18, 08:43 AM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Number of Teams That Scored at Districts

I went and counted scoring team at districts.

Boys-d1-202, d2-206, d3-202 total 610
Girls-d1-164, d2-177, d3-181 total 522

For comparison here 2017 and 18-19 divisional breakdown.
Boys-d1-204, d2-206, d3-196 total 606
Girls-d1-165, d2-181, d3-181 total 527

18-19 divisional breakdown
Boys-d1-199, d2-201, d3-200 total 600
Girls-d1-167, d2-167, d3-167 total 501

The most interesting is the growth in d2 and d3 girls teams. I thought with more schools playing soccer the girls teams would continue to decline it is great to see that trend reversed. With these additional schools that will push some of the bigger d2 teams to d1 with the biggest one could be Lexington. Will be too bad for them having to compete against schools 4 times their size.

Any big changes in divisions next year on the boys side will be due to true enrollment changes as the number of teams didn't change much but I am glad to see the number went up some.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-18, 10:24 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
What should happen is 4 divisions. Take the top 60 or so schools in a super DI and then split the rest evenly. Funny how the OHSAA cant figure out that this creates a better sport and more money.
Old 10-24-18, 10:34 AM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
What should happen is 4 divisions. Take the top 60 or so schools in a super DI and then split the rest evenly. Funny how the OHSAA cant figure out that this creates a better sport and more money.
I have to realize in minor sports like track and xc.

(1) Don't lose money.
(2) They want a short concise state meet that is smooth. No controversies.
(3) Make it look good to the public. Check off the following off the list:
Easy time schedule, wheelchair events, central part of state.

That is it. Nothing else matters.
Old 10-24-18, 11:48 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I think those are 3 things all of us want! I could care less if it's the central part of the sate or not though at this point.

I for one would rather see Wheel Chair races than to add another division if that was the trade off.

The State meet is the tip of the iceberg. Yes it should be great, but we all need to make the sport and meets better for the 90% of kids that never make it to the state meet. More dual meets and JV type meets where the non elite kids get to compete. Fill up the lanes. A, B, C and D relays if needed. Starting heights at non championship meets that most kids can get. Not having 4 Pole Vaulters monopolize the entire event for an entire day. Not having kids with No Times and No Distances. Make your meet the best it can be and help everyone else make their meet the best it can be when you are there.

I sort of read the Wheel Chair thing as something you do not like or don't feel it belongs. I strongly disagree.

We had a kid a few years back that had a hard life. More responsibility than any kid his age should ever have. He was trying to get into the military and needed to lose a certain amount of weight and run a mile in a certain time. To watch him work and to see his transformation was good for every kid in the program and coaches too. Watching him break 6 min in the 1600 was the highlight of the season for me. We have kids every year that aren't going to set records or help us win a single meet, but the importance of the sport to them is far greater than if we win a state championship or how well the state meet is managed or how much money it may or may not make.

We host a couple of very good invitationals in track and we have tons of experience and we make mistakes. We have distances that are not keyed in correctly. We have start sensors that don't work or runners from teams with similar uniforms misplaced or kids from the same team flip flopped in the standings. Whenever the camera misses a race or an athlete, it is guaranteed that the people at the line hand timing and picking as a back up miss that heat too. We need to always do better.
Old 10-24-18, 12:48 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I think those are 3 things all of us want! I could care less if it's the central part of the sate or not though at this point.

I for one would rather see Wheel Chair races than to add another division if that was the trade off.

The State meet is the tip of the iceberg. Yes it should be great, but we all need to make the sport and meets better for the 90% of kids that never make it to the state meet. More dual meets and JV type meets where the non elite kids get to compete. Fill up the lanes. A, B, C and D relays if needed. Starting heights at non championship meets that most kids can get. Not having 4 Pole Vaulters monopolize the entire event for an entire day. Not having kids with No Times and No Distances. Make your meet the best it can be and help everyone else make their meet the best it can be when you are there.

I sort of read the Wheel Chair thing as something you do not like or don't feel it belongs. I strongly disagree.

We had a kid a few years back that had a hard life. More responsibility than any kid his age should ever have. He was trying to get into the military and needed to lose a certain amount of weight and run a mile in a certain time. To watch him work and to see his transformation was good for every kid in the program and coaches too. Watching him break 6 min in the 1600 was the highlight of the season for me. We have kids every year that aren't going to set records or help us win a single meet, but the importance of the sport to them is far greater than if we win a state championship or how well the state meet is managed or how much money it may or may not make.

We host a couple of very good invitationals in track and we have tons of experience and we make mistakes. We have distances that are not keyed in correctly. We have start sensors that don't work or runners from teams with similar uniforms misplaced or kids from the same team flip flopped in the standings. Whenever the camera misses a race or an athlete, it is guaranteed that the people at the line hand timing and picking as a back up miss that heat too. We need to always do better.
Well said. I like winning. A lot. But that honestly is not my primary motivation. And it certainly is not the most important part of my job. Making sure as many kids as possible have a good experience is.
Old 10-24-18, 01:27 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post

100% I want to keep the wheelchair or the 'seated races.'

I think it is great for the sport and gives more opportunity.

But from my perspective OHSAA wants to look good and having one sport display an event one time per year is ridiculous. This is just a box checker on OHSAA's diversity box.
Old 10-24-18, 03:11 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I think it's a genuine attempt to do the right thing. I think it's been well done.

The OHSAA gets a lot of deserved criticism and a lot of not so deserved criticism. I like how they changed the CC to unbalanced regions and added teams and competitors. I think the Seated events and even adding the extra qualifiers in track and (not field) is a good start and forward thinking and inclusive. We have to give them credit for what they do right and not just complain when they get it wrong.
Old 10-24-18, 06:35 PM
All District

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
True dat.
Old 10-25-18, 03:24 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
We are talking about CC, right?

Has anyone ever discussed "seated race" in CC?
Old 10-26-18, 07:42 AM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
We are talking about CC, right?

Has anyone ever discussed "seated race" in CC?
I can see it now.... "You want me to wheel up that hill with in that mud"