Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-16-18, 04:25 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Oldest Prep Meet

I saw this thread on T&FN about what is the oldest prep meet still running.

https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...et-You-Know-Of

I know the OHSAA meet has been going since its inception in 1908, and there were at least a few earlier non-official "state" meets before OHSAA came into being. However, I also know that the Public schools of Cincinnati have had at least some form of a city championship going since 1895. Can any other organization in Ohio beat that?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-18, 06:18 AM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Is Ohio's state meet continuous? No breaks due to depression and wars?
Old 10-16-18, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Is Ohio's state meet continuous? No breaks due to depression and wars?
It is continuous. The OHSAA's website has meet results for every year since 1908 and also has the annual list of team champions and runner-ups.

Now, that's not to say that all schools were in a position to compete every year. I know some schools couldn't field athletic teams for various reasons, especially during WWII due to both rationing of materials (some schools couldn't get tires for their buses due to rubber rationing) and older students getting jobs after school or leaving school altogether to either take factory jobs or join the service.
Old 10-16-18, 08:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
It is continuous. The OHSAA's website has meet results for every year since 1908 and also has the annual list of team champions and runner-ups.

Now, that's not to say that all schools were in a position to compete every year. I know some schools couldn't field athletic teams for various reasons, especially during WWII due to both rationing of materials (some schools couldn't get tires for their buses due to rubber rationing) and older students getting jobs after school or leaving school altogether to either take factory jobs or join the service.
With regard to OHSAA & their state meet statistics, I wouldn't put 100% faith in them except for meets after about 1940 (that's my best estimate to date). Before then, information starts becoming less than 100% accurate as I've found that scoring the meet vs. the listed information doesn't add up in quite a few cases. I'm working on a complete documentation of the state meets since 1908 that match the scoring with the listed scorers. I'm also adding first names to last names, finding graduation years, and loading in other information where I find it.

As a teaser, I've attached a file of my raw research to date for the years 1908-1920 as of this date. I work on this periodically as my work schedule allows for, and my current goal is to have it all documented up through the 1970 meets. I've got much of the information from 1921-1970, including field event non-winning marks for many meets for the 1950s-1960s meets, which OHSAA doesn't list. I've also come across other field event non-winning marks for some meets before then. Unfortunately, non-winning times in the running events are frequently only found in researching individual local newspapers covering a given set of local athletes. Even then, it's a challenge.

In order to read my work, information listed in RED type has yet to be verified. In some cases, the winning athlete(s) or winning marks are in conflict with scoring or information listed on OHSAA's site. Meets listed through 1912 have been scored thoroughly. 1913-1920 are still in the resolution stage.

So, enjoy, and as I said, this is a work in progress (8+ years now). I've attached a link to the OHSAA results as a comparison. I'll let you all make your own judgements.

https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/track/past-results

P.S. - OHSAA doesn't even list the Class C meets (county vs. county) that took place from 1926-1928, and they don't mention that in the 880 yard run from 1928-1931 in both Class A & Class B meets, there were 2 sections of the 880 that scored EQUALLY. TWO WINNERS. I have no idea why they did that, but they did. The scoring works out that way. Bizarre.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf State Meet Results - 1908-1920.pdf (172.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by JAVMAN83; 10-17-18 at 08:23 AM..
Old 10-16-18, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
With regard to OHSAA & their state meet statistics, I wouldn't put 100% faith in them except for meets after about 1940 (that's my best estimate to date). Before then, information starts becoming less than 100% accurate as I've found that scoring the meet vs. the listed information doesn't add up in quite a few cases. I'm working on a complete documentation of the state meets since 1908 that match the scoring with the listed scorers. I'm also adding first names to last names, finding graduation years, and loading in other information where I find it.

As a teaser, I've attached a file of my raw research to date for the years 1908-1920 as of this date. I work on this periodically as my work schedule allows for, and my current goal is to have it all documented up through the 1970 meets. I've got much of the information from 1921-1970, including field event non-winning marks for many meets for the 1950s-1960s meets, which OHSAA doesn't list. I've also come across other field event non-winning marks for some meets before then. Unfortunately, non-winning times in the running events are frequently only found in researching individual local newspapers covering a given set of local athletes. Even then, it's a challenge.

In order to read my work, information listed in RED type has yet to be verified. In some cases, the winning athlete(s) or winning marks are in conflict with scoring or information listed on OHSAA's site. Meets listed through 1912 have been scored thoroughly. 1913-1920 are still in the resolution stage.

So, enjoy, and as I said, this is a work in progress (8+ years now). I've attached a link to the OHSAA results as a comparison. I'll let you all make your own judgements.

https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/track/past-results

P.S. - OHSAA doesn't even list the Class C meets (county vs. county) that took place from 1926-1928, and they don't mention that in the 880 yard run from 1928-1931 in both Class A & Class B meets, there were 2 sections of the 880 that scored EQUALLY. TWO WINNERS. I have no idea why they did that, but they did. The scoring works out that way. Bizarre.
I'm pretty sure I can trust the OHSAA results as far as whether or not a state meet was held each year since 1908. I'm quite aware of the inaccuracies/ discrepancies of past meet results. For example, the OHSAA lists the winning height in the 1914 high jump as being 5' 6.75". My local newspaper reported the winning height as 5' 8". We go with what we know until we find more reliable information.
Old 10-16-18, 08:26 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I can trust the OHSAA results as far as whether or not a state meet was held each year since 1908. I'm quite aware of the inaccuracies/ discrepancies of past meet results. For example, the OHSAA lists the winning height in the 1914 high jump as being 5' 6.75". My local newspaper reported the winning height as 5' 8". We go with what we know until we find more reliable information.
That's the purpose of my research. To eliminate conflicts where found, if possible.
Old 10-17-18, 08:26 AM
All American

File has been updated, thanks to several names clarified by Mr. Slippery of Stark County athletes. Those first names are in PURPLE in the years 1914 & 1916. Thanks so much, Mr. Slippery!
Old 10-17-18, 08:46 AM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
The Columbiana County meet in Ohio has been held every year since 1904. If I can find one of the more recent programs I may have around the house, I can provide more info.
Old 10-18-18, 09:43 AM
All District

badger1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
The Columbiana County meet in Ohio has been held every year since 1904. If I can find one of the more recent programs I may have around the house, I can provide more info.
As a proud participant in that meet I believe it has always been touted as the longest running meet in Ohio. It's always a great meet with every school in the county represented, big and small, all competing against each other for bragging rights.
Old 10-18-18, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
As a proud participant in that meet I believe it has always been touted as the longest running meet in Ohio. It's always a great meet with every school in the county represented, big and small, all competing against each other for bragging rights.
That has always been a hot area for track and field. Salem's Reilly Stadium has hosted a sectional or district level meet every year since the late '20s. I have tournament results from the Salem paper as far back as 1927.

For which school did you compete?
Old 10-18-18, 01:43 PM
All American

Quote:
That has always been a hot area for track and field. Salem's Reilly Stadium has hosted a sectional or district level meet every year since the late '20s. I have tournament results from the Salem paper as far back as 1927.

For which school did you compete?
Salem was DEFINITELY the hotbed for all things pole vault in 1927-1928 with National HS record-setter, Lowell Allen, vaulting to new prep heights. He was the first prep boy to clear 13 feet (mind you this was off of cinder and vaulting with bamboo or ash poles then! Allen was a serious stud, clearing 13' + at least twice his senior - 13' 1 1/4' at his District meet on 19 May 1928, then 13' 3 3/10" at the big Chicago Interscholastic at Stagg Field on 2 June 1928. His back up at Salem, Keith Roessler, as also a mid-12 foot vaulter himself & 2nd to Allen at State in 1928. Tied for 3rd in that Class A '28 vault competition at State was former Fremont star and big OHSAA name, Ron Althoff.
Old 10-18-18, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Salem was DEFINITELY the hotbed for all things pole vault in 1927-1928 with National HS record-setter, Lowell Allen, vaulting to new prep heights. He was the first prep boy to clear 13 feet (mind you this was off of cinder and vaulting with bamboo or ash poles then! Allen was a serious stud, clearing 13' + at least twice his senior - 13' 1 1/4' at his District meet on 19 May 1928, then 13' 3 3/10" at the big Chicago Interscholastic at Stagg Field on 2 June 1928. His back up at Salem, Keith Roessler, as also a mid-12 foot vaulter himself & 2nd to Allen at State in 1928. Tied for 3rd in that Class A '28 vault competition at State was former Fremont star and big OHSAA name, Ron Althoff.
The major irony here is that Salem hasn't had a PV facility for a long time, and the athletes in Salem's district meet who PV have to go to Austintown and vault with the DI athletes. One such year, the only schools with vaulters were: Fairless, Canton CC, and Akron St. V. - all on the extreme western end of that district, and they still had to go all the way to Austintown to contest the PV.

Many schools in eastern Stark County and the Mahoning Valley haven't offered PV in years.
Old 10-18-18, 03:35 PM
All American

Sad to hear, Mr. Slippery.