Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-18, 08:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Julian and Ricky is on a distinguished road
This would never happen but it would be fun to see

Moeller
X
Elder
Lasalle
Colerain
Wayne
WW

Possibly add an 8th team to even things out!
Old 04-21-18, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I would add Berea-Midpark. They play in an all D2 league. They need to be in this league and they are built like Mentor. High flying passing attack. Fun to watch. And Solon should stay.
They aren't even all that competitive yet in the SWC, even though they are by far the largest school.

I think they would prefer something with their old Pioneer Conference buddies. Something like this:

Berea-Midpark
Brunswick
Elyria
Lakewood
Lorain
Medina
Parma (consolidated)
Strongsville
Old 04-21-18, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I'd like to add either Stow or Cleveland Heights to the Greater Cleveland Conference, and let Elyria join another league. Elyria is just too far away from the East Side schools.
I'm sure Elyria would love to get a soft landing into some sort of west side based alignment, but that didn't happen. As you know the eight schools in the GCC are in as a marriage of convenience with their overarching commonality being that they don't fit in any of the other existing league configurations.

I can't see Stow leaving the SL. I know Cleveland Hts wanted "in" the GCC when it formed but the powers that be chose Euclid instead for the most notable reason of Euclid being an easier travel trip off the highway (i.e. right off an exit, while Cleveland Hts is not an easy highway trip).
Old 04-21-18, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian and Ricky View Post
This would never happen but it would be fun to see

Moeller
X
Elder
Lasalle
Colerain
Wayne
WW

Possibly add an 8th team to even things out!
So you don't like this proposal?

North:

St. Eds
Iggy
SVSM
Hoban

South:

Moeller
St. X
Elder
LaSalle

Then play everyone once. That would be 7 games. That would be a lot of great games annually. Then schedule 3 other games on their own.
Old 04-21-18, 03:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
They aren't even all that competitive yet in the SWC, even though they are by far the largest school.

I think they would prefer something with their old Pioneer Conference buddies. Something like this:

Berea-Midpark
Brunswick
Elyria
Lakewood
Lorain
Medina
Parma (consolidated)
Strongsville
Not yet. But with their highly touted new coach from 2 years ago, they should be competitive in the very near future.
Old 04-21-18, 09:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
So you don't like this proposal?

North:

St. Eds
Iggy
SVSM
Hoban

South:

Moeller
St. X
Elder
LaSalle

Then play everyone once. That would be 7 games. That would be a lot of great games annually. Then schedule 3 other games on their own.
I like your conference on paper. Every game would be great. Travel would be an issue as each team would have to travel across the state twice a year. Also not sure how SVSM would fare against these teams
Old 04-21-18, 10:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian and Ricky View Post
I like your conference on paper. Every game would be great. Travel would be an issue as each team would have to travel across the state twice a year. Also not sure how SVSM would fare against these teams
As far as travel goes, most of them already travel a ton as it is. They come and go to and from NEO to and from Cincy a lot now. Plus they play out of state. As a fan, that would be an awesome schedule of the private big boys playing each other.
Old 04-21-18, 11:22 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post

Berea-Midpark
Brunswick
Elyria
Lakewood
Lorain
Medina
Parma (consolidated)
Strongsville
I think if gasoline continues to go upward and funding road trips in all sports starts becoming problematic for some/most school districts, you will see this league or something close to it on the West Side.

Perhaps the GCC's 4 East Side survivors would try to form another East Side league with some or all of the LEL's surviving band &/or possibly Garfield Heights.

Euclid has done two separate terms in the LEL already 1949-1974 or so and then their more recent stint before joining the newest version of the GCC. So I could see something like that happening, if the new GCC ever fell apart. Has there ever been a trans Cuyahoga River league that lasted for an extended period of time (besides some past versions of the 100 year old LEL.) ?
Old 04-22-18, 10:42 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Who would you like to add to your conference?

NCLís small school division has been a revolving door since 2011 with Trinity now leaving. This would be my updated NCL realignment

Football/All other sports Alignment
Lake Catholic and NDCL would be a protected rivalry game, Holy Name and Padua would be a locked crossover game.

Blue Division

Lake Catholic
Hoban
Padua
Walsh Jesuit
St.Vincent-St.Mary
Benedictine (St.Joseph Academy for girls sports)

Red Division

Villa Angela-St.Joseph
Cleveland Central Catholic
Norte Dame-Cathedral Latin
Elyria Catholic
Holy Name
University School (Beaumont for girls sports)

White Division

Warren JFK
St.Thomas Aquinas
Gilmour Academy
Lutheran East
Canton Central Catholic
Hawken

Basketball (competitive based) (Girls would follow same format of competitive based placement into tiers)

Tier 1:
STVM
VASJ
Lake Catholic
Cleveland CC
Benedictine
Lutheran East

Tier 2:

Hoban
Holy Name
Walsh Jesuit
Canton Central Catholic
Gilmour Academy
University School

Tier 3:

NDCL
Elyria Catholic
Warren JFK
Padua
St.Thomas Aquinas
Hawken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by C'Town216; 04-23-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 11:48 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
NCL’s small school division has been a revolving door since 2011 with Trinity now leaving. This would be my updated NCL realignment

Football/All other sports Alignment
Lake Catholic and NDCL would be a protected rivalry game, Holy Name and Padua would be a locked crossover game.

Blue Division

Lake Catholic
Hoban
Padua
Walsh Jesuit
St.Vincent-St.Mary

Red Division

Villa Angela-St.Joseph
Cleveland Central Catholic
Norte Dame-Cathedral Latin
Elyria Catholic
Holy Name

White Division

Warren JFK
St.Thomas Aquinas
Gilmour Academy
Lutheran East
Canton Central Catholic

Basketball (competitive based)

Tier 1:
STVM
VASJ
Lake Catholic
Cleveland CC
Lutheran East

Tier 2:

Hoban
Holy Name
Walsh Jesuit
Canton Central Catholic
Gilmour Academy

Tier 3:

NDCL
Elyria Catholic
Warren JFK
Padua
St.Thomas Aquinas

C'town,
In your above scenario, would Benedictine then become and independent or join another conference?
Old 04-23-18, 07:01 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Who would you like to add to your conference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
C'town,
In your above scenario, would Benedictine then become and independent or join another conference?

Sorry I accidentally forgot to place them in the scenario. With the correction, I also added University School to counter St.Joseph Academy and added Hawken for the 3rd tier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-18, 07:29 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
As far as travel goes, most of them already travel a ton as it is. They come and go to and from NEO to and from Cincy a lot now. Plus they play out of state. As a fan, that would be an awesome schedule of the private big boys playing each other.
I can see travel being more common for Ed's and Iggy's, but the Cincinnati teams usually travel across the state only once a year and I think they can find quality competition closer to home.
Old 04-23-18, 07:34 PM
Varsity

Fake Taxi is on a distinguished road
Merge the GCL South and GMC and add Winton Woods. That gives you 15.
You could do 3 divisions of 5.

East
Moeller
X
Sycamore
Mason
Middletown

Central
Winton Woods
Lasalle
Princeton
East
West

West
Elder
Colerain
Hamilton
Oak Hills
Fairfield
Old 04-23-18, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
CBC-OHC merger and split into three 8 school divisions based on enrollment, fluctuating every 3-5 years. I don't love the idea, but I think it makes sense with school size fluctuation and the ever present threat of school consolidation, closure, or "over growing" in the long-term for a few schools. There is significant history and yearly scheduling between many of these schools as is. There are a few replacements waiting in the wings IMO if needed in East Clinton and Riverside.

Big - Tecumseh, Jonathan Alder, Bellefontaine, Kenton Ridge, Shawnee, London, Urbana and Graham

Mid - Greeneview, Northwestern, Northeastern, Greenon, Indian Lake, Benjamin Logan, West Liberty-Salem and Fairbanks

Small - Madison-Plains, West Jefferson, North Union, Triad, Mechanicsburg, Southeastern, Cedarville and Catholic Central

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-18, 07:46 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
CBC-OHC merger and split into three 8 school divisions based on enrollment, fluctuating every 3-5 years. I don't love the idea, but I think it makes sense with school size fluctuation and the ever present threat of school consolidation, closure, or "over growing" in the long-term for a few schools. There is significant history and yearly scheduling between many of these schools as is. There are a few replacements waiting in the wings IMO if needed in East Clinton and Riverside.

Big - Tecumseh, Jonathan Alder, Bellefontaine, Kenton Ridge, Shawnee, London, Urbana and Graham

Mid - Greeneview, Northwestern, Northeastern, Greenon, Indian Lake, Benjamin Logan, West Liberty-Salem and Fairbanks

Small - Madison-Plains, West Jefferson, North Union, Triad, Mechanicsburg, Southeastern, Cedarville and Catholic Central

Fairbanks and WLS are same size or smaller than WJ and NU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-18, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Fairbanks and WLS are same size or smaller than WJ and NU.

North Union is actually much bigger than I thought. West Liberty a bit smaller. I thought WLS, WJ, MP, Fairbanks, NU and NE were all about the same size with some individual class variation occasionally skewing the numbers. At the top end, I expected London, Urbana, Graham, NW and BL to all be about the same size. NW's enrollment has rebounded while Urbana's has dropped significantly over the last few years; I would have expected them to be roughly the same size as London.

By the current numbers:

Tecumseh -- 781
Bellefontaine -- 623
Jonathan Alder -- 498
Kenton Ridge -- 483
Shawnee -- 477
London -- 453
Graham -- 448
Northwestern -- 448

Urbana -- 412
Benjamin Logan -- 406
Indian Lake -- 389
North Union -- 357
Greenon -- 347
Greeneview -- 335
West Jefferson -- 303
Madison-Plains -- 299

Northeastern -- 287
Fairbanks -- 286
West Liberty-Salem -- 273
Triad -- 212
Mechanicsburg -- 197
Southeastern -- 165
Cedarville -- 151
Catholic Central -- 126
Old 04-24-18, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
North Union is actually much bigger than I thought. West Liberty a bit smaller. I thought WLS, WJ, MP, Fairbanks, NU and NE were all about the same size with some individual class variation occasionally skewing the numbers. At the top end, I expected London, Urbana, Graham, NW and BL to all be about the same size. NW's enrollment has rebounded while Urbana's has dropped significantly over the last few years; I would have expected them to be roughly the same size as London.

By the current numbers:

Tecumseh -- 781
Bellefontaine -- 623
Jonathan Alder -- 498
Kenton Ridge -- 483
Shawnee -- 477
London -- 453
Graham -- 448
Northwestern -- 448

Urbana -- 412
Benjamin Logan -- 406
Indian Lake -- 389
North Union -- 357
Greenon -- 347
Greeneview -- 335
West Jefferson -- 303
Madison-Plains -- 299

Northeastern -- 287
Fairbanks -- 286
West Liberty-Salem -- 273
Triad -- 212
Mechanicsburg -- 197
Southeastern -- 165
Cedarville -- 151
Catholic Central -- 126

Just for giggles add Milton-Union at 367 in place of, say, Greenon.

Old 04-24-18, 03:28 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
I'm sure Elyria would love to get a soft landing into some sort of west side based alignment, but that didn't happen. As you know the eight schools in the GCC are in as a marriage of convenience with their overarching commonality being that they don't fit in any of the other existing league configurations.

I can't see Stow leaving the SL. I know Cleveland Hts wanted "in" the GCC when it formed but the powers that be chose Euclid instead for the most notable reason of Euclid being an easier travel trip off the highway (i.e. right off an exit, while Cleveland Hts is not an easy highway trip).
I know that Stow would rather stay in the Suburban League. It's closer and it's less competitive than the GCC. But the question was, "Who would YOU like to see in your league."
Old 04-24-18, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I'd gladly have Milton-Union if they came with Miami East (336) and Bethel (300).

I don't think it's that crazy either. I could see at least that many spots opening due to numerous issues, mostly financial, resulting in closure or consolidation within the next decade. Assuming their levy passes, I look for Northeastern (NE and KR) to do what Springfield did and change building plans to one high school after the fact due to cost. It's no secret that the best cost and offering opportunities are together, and that long-term maintenance costs less together. Housing development has pretty much ended around KR, and their enrollment has begun to taper off. Going by the figures, their three grade enrollment would be about the same as Tecumseh. There's no logical reason to spend more to build and operate two separate schools with steady or declining enrollment with that number of kids in the present.

Old 04-24-18, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I'd also be intrigued by a Milton-Union, Miami East, Bethel, Northwestern, Greenon, Graham, Urbana and West Liberty-Salem league. There's some size disparity, but competition would be reasonable in most sports. I expect Bethel and possibly WLS to grow some. Urbana seems to be in free fall. The "big fish", NW and Graham, generally aren't that great in basketball and football.

Old 04-25-18, 06:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'd also be intrigued by a Milton-Union, Miami East, Bethel, Northwestern, Greenon, Graham, Urbana and West Liberty-Salem league. There's some size disparity, but competition would be reasonable in most sports. I expect Bethel and possibly WLS to grow some. Urbana seems to be in free fall. The "big fish", NW and Graham, generally aren't that great in basketball and football.

Tons of travel for MU in that lineup. I canít see Milton ever leaving the SWBL but you never know.

Old 04-25-18, 07:20 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'm likely one of the few who remember the old Three Rivers Conference when Bethel took their football program to new lows vs teams such as Urbana and Graham. Not sure that playing field has leveled enough for them to compete in football. I do think their boys basketball could compete in such a conference. Ten years from now, if building continues north of Huber, Bethel will be 50% larger than today.
Old 04-25-18, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
I'm likely one of the few who remember the old Three Rivers Conference when Bethel took their football program to new lows vs teams such as Urbana and Graham. Not sure that playing field has leveled enough for them to compete in football. I do think their boys basketball could compete in such a conference. Ten years from now, if building continues north of Huber, Bethel will be 50% larger than today.
Honestly, football probably wouldn't be too bad in that theoretical league. The CBC MRD teams are all somewhere between awful and okay at best. WLS IMO currently has the best football program of those 8 schools, and I don't think it's really that close.

Bethel is definitely intriguing. I recall reading a future enrollment outlook (I think on here), and the foreseeable future looks rather rosy. I'd expect them to rapidly close the numbers gap over the next decade or so.

Old 04-25-18, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Taxi View Post
Merge the GCL South and GMC and add Winton Woods. That gives you 15.
You could do 3 divisions of 5.

East
Moeller
X
Sycamore
Mason
Middletown

Central
Winton Woods
Lasalle
Princeton
East
West

West
Elder
Colerain
Hamilton
Oak Hills
Fairfield
Swap La Salle and Hamilton and Fairfield and Winton Woods.
Old 04-25-18, 11:43 AM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Maybe Wauseon to the NLL?
Old 04-25-18, 12:15 PM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
Make 2 conferences out of the CMAC, CHL, and MVC.

New CMAC (Big School Division)

Withrow
Western Hills
Taft
Woodward
Hughes

New CMAC (Mid-size Division)

Clark
Finneytown
Aiken
Shroder
North College Hill
Deer Park

New CMAC (Small School Division)

Gamble
Cincinnati College Prep
Riverview East
Lockland
St. Bernard
New Miami

New CHL (West Division)

Taylor
Wyoming
Reading
Summit Country Day
Norwood

New CHL (East Division)

CHCA
Indian Hill
Madeira
Mariemont
MVCA

All schools would play at least one crossover game between divisions but not sure how it would work yet.
This is quite interesting....I'll throw another team in there for the big school division - Mt. Healthy. They simply cannot compete in anything in the SWOC but football basketball and track. And even in basketball they have only ever tied for the league title in 6 seasons of it's existence. Big school league would be super competitive in football and an unreal basketball league. Crossover games would be exciting too for both sports. These teams lineup better to be competitive with each other in ALL sports.

Winton Woods can replace Mt. Healthy in the SWOC, or they could keep it at 6 teams without Winton Woods/Mt. Healthy and have an even number of teams, but this would make football scheduling very difficult.
Old 04-25-18, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Tons of travel for MU in that lineup. I canít see Milton ever leaving the SWBL but you never know.

To be fair, you guys already travel a ton going to Waynesville, Dixie, etc.

Distance and time aren't exactly a 1:1 correlation. I've heard one of the newer OHC schools has a few longer trips than in their former Columbus based league, but overall travel time is way down due to eliminating rush hour traffic. I'd think the same may be true for Milton cutting down on, if not eliminating entirely, trips through downtown Dayton.

Old 04-25-18, 04:16 PM
All Yappi

I would like to see MU move to a more rural and northern league. When we were in the SW Division of the SWBL it was very nice. But travel to Carlisle, Waynesville, Preble Shawnee and Middletown Madison gets old.
I’m sure they hate it too. MU is the furthest away of any SWBL school. But the travel in the CBC would be worse. Northwestern is a great matchup that is fairly close. But at the same time we are not scheduling the Bethel’s, Covington’s, etc. I always thought Bethel vs MU would be a decent game most years. MU is not the MU of a decade ago. Enrollment is down and the kids are different. Coaching is different.
Back before 2012 we would have competed in the CBC and against anyone. But times change.
I am looking forward to travel to NW and see MU play in that new stadium of yours. You guys have great facilities.
We played NW in my day and whipped them 55-20. Beat up Greenon too, but that was when Greenon was bigger and better.
Old 04-25-18, 05:04 PM
Varsity

Fake Taxi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Swap La Salle and Hamilton and Fairfield and Winton Woods.
I know my proposal wasn't completely geographical. I was just trying to make all the divisions balanced.
Old 04-25-18, 08:30 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Here's an idea, what if the Buckeye Border Conference started sponsoring football and added a few members?

Buckeye Border Conference:

Antwerp
Edgerton
Edon
Hilltop
Holgate
Montpelier
North Central
Stryker

Non Football Members: Fayette and Pettisville

This would be probably the worst football league in the entire state but I think It'd make sense.