Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Does This Seem Unsavory?

This story got a small amount of attention here but not what it deserved.

This tweet was sent by Villa Angela St. Joseph Football this past weekend. They brag of the number of football players they have recruited and mention there are still a few outstanding "offers."

I can't believe this is what high school football has come to. I would be embarrassed to be a part of the VASJ community.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZEYjy7XkAAPePM.jpg
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-18, 04:39 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
I'm not a huge private school fan, but I'm also not really worked up over some incoming freshman. I don't really get the whole feeder school thing. They've got to start some time, right? Some people here won't be happy until every private school player recites the catechism and produces a baptismal certificate to prove they aren't recruits.

Pretty tacky to describe them as "commits" though. Priorities!
Old 03-28-18, 05:12 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post

This tweet was sent by Villa Angela St. Joseph Football this past weekend. They brag of the number of football players they have recruited and mention there are still a few outstanding "offers."

I can't believe this is what high school football has come to. I would be embarrassed to be a part of the VASJ community.

It is actually pretty common for kids to attend Catholic school up to 8th grade, then go to public school for high school. So my guess is, they are emulating what high school kids do when the move on to college. Since no one is compelled to go to a private school, all of their kids have to be recruited.
Old 03-28-18, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
I'm not a huge private school fan, but I'm also not really worked up over some incoming freshman. I don't really get the whole feeder school thing. They've got to start some time, right? Some people here won't be happy until every private school player recites the catechism and produces a baptismal certificate to prove they aren't recruits.

Pretty tacky to describe them as "commits" though. Priorities!
Most catholic schools (at least in SWO) refer to all incoming freshmen as ďcommits,Ē regardless whether they play sports or not.
Old 03-28-18, 06:56 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Does This Seem Unsavory?

As an alum. Itís honestly good we are finally getting the kids back into the school regardless of interest. And from a Football perspective it was needed considering we havenít fielded a true freshman team or jv team in almost 10 years. I agree itís in bad taste to refer to them as commits/offers. Offers is an invitation to attend the school as itís around this time they pick schools and most of these kids played for feeder school Ss.Robert and William in Euclid consisting of kids from Our Lady of the Lake SSRW St.Jerome and St.Alís with those schools not sponsoring a football team all within 5-10 minute driving radius. And I can confirm 100% that there are NO scholarships involved... They have to at least maintain a School GPA requirement which is higher than the OHSAA mandated to even be eligible for extra curricular activities including non athletic groups. In hindsight itís a sigh relief knowing that our football program is rebuilding to where it should at a consistent competitive program. Besides you have to promote your school somehow with a high demographic and with how Euclid City Schools and CMSD are in academics and having to compete with bigger names schools like St.Edward, St.Ignatius, Benedictine, Lake Catholic, and NDCL.
Old 03-29-18, 05:14 AM
Varsity

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
They also have to outbid the maniac down the street for the best players or they will never field a decent team.
Old 03-29-18, 05:43 AM
Varsity

foreword is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hey Mac'n beaner,

Why don't you just worry about your own school instead of bringing up others? I'm sure the VASJ community will be just fine at their tailgates this coming season as well..............
Old 03-29-18, 08:16 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Nothing will happen on this incident because OHSAA doesnít have a pair.
Old 03-29-18, 08:53 AM
All District

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
As a product of a private school, there is nothing unsavory about this, it's what they do.

And the OHSAA doing nothing about it has nothing to do with their lack of testicular consciousness, and everything to do with the confines of which the private school sectors operate.
Old 03-29-18, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
oK Mack is a well-know idiot/troll, although...

This notion that private schools HAVE to recruit is complete BS. Maybe 30 years ago was different, but in this era parents are more than well aware of school choices and available schools in their area, and are obviously free to contact/research any and all at their discretion.

In that regard, today, the rules should be NO DIFFERENT between public and private schools. Ie. regarding initiating contact.
Old 03-29-18, 09:16 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Nothing will happen on this incident because OHSAA doesnít have a pair.
If the eeeeevil private schools are stealing "your kids", it's only possible because there's something lacking in the experience your school is offering. That's the real problem.
Old 03-29-18, 09:37 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post

This notion that private schools HAVE to recruit is complete BS. Maybe 30 years ago was different, but in this era parents are more than well aware of school choices and available schools in their area, and are obviously free to contact/research any and all at their discretion.

In that regard, today, the rules should be NO DIFFERENT between public and private schools. Ie. regarding initiating contact.
Not entirely. There's still a lot of families of feeder and non-feeder schools who see "private school" and $8k+ yearly tuition and immediately write it off not knowing 1) many private schools offer academic scholarships based on grade school GPA and entrance testing; 2) most, if not all, allow for a payment plan. While it's still a lot of money, it's not like you need to drop $8+ plus all at once. There's other things too.
Old 03-29-18, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

I see how you roll.

When I expose the dirt on Massillon's football program, you see me as a troll.

But, when I shine a light on the dirt on a different program, you're jumping on my bandwagon.
Old 03-29-18, 09:48 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
If the eeeeevil private schools are stealing "your kids", it's only possible because there's something lacking in the experience your school is offering. That's the real problem.
Doesnít matter..itís open season! If OHSAA isnít going to enforce its rules, do the same thing the other school is doing.
Old 03-29-18, 09:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Not entirely. There's still a lot of families of feeder and non-feeder schools who see "private school" and $8k+ yearly tuition and immediately write it off not knowing 1) many private schools offer academic scholarships based on grade school GPA and entrance testing; 2) most, if not all, allow for a payment plan. While it's still a lot of money, it's not like you need to drop $8+ plus all at once. There's other things too.
By the looks of that tweet, it looks like one of the main questions on that "entrance testing" is "Do you play football?"

Embarrassing.
Old 03-29-18, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

That is willfully ignorant Taco. Less affluent (or poor) families of bright students, and/or especially parents of athletic kids, are acutely aware they offer financial assistance. That is common knowledge among everyone.
Old 03-29-18, 09:50 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
Hey Mac'n beaner,Why don't you just worry about your own school instead of bringing up others? I'm sure the VASJ community will be just fine at their tailgates this coming season as well..............
Oh look. Heff/chiefy/sam the b has a new account.
Old 03-29-18, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I see how you roll.

But, when I shine a light on the dirt on a different program, you're jumping on my bandwagon.
Not trolling St. Joe nor accusing them of wrongdoing. Just responding to the notion that we need 2 sets of rules.

The only thing you expose on Massillon threads is your troll ***.
Old 03-29-18, 09:55 AM
All World

Quote:
That is willfully ignorant Taco. Less affluent (or poor) families of bright students, and/or especially parents of athletic kids, are acutely aware they offer financial assistance. That is common knowledge among everyone.
I can tell you for a fact that it is not common knowledge. Sorry. Maybe to those who post on Yappi, but that's a pretty damn small sample size. And there's a lot of students who aren't bright or athletic.

Above average intelligence, I wouldn't have considered 14 year old Taco to be bright. 14 year old Taco definitely wasn't athletic. I ended up running cross country. Yet I was recruited to my alma mater.
Old 03-29-18, 09:57 AM
All World

Quote:
By the looks of that tweet, it looks like one of the main questions on that "entrance testing" is "Do you play football?"

Embarrassing.
That's awfully presumptuous of you.
Old 03-29-18, 09:59 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Doesnít matter..itís open season! If OHSAA isnít going to enforce its rules, do the same thing the other school is doing.
Again, if they can "steal your kids", the problem isn't them, it's you.
Old 03-29-18, 10:09 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Its a sad but true fact that many communities could never win with home grown kids so they have to recruit. I wish it were different but its is no longer the way is used to be. When it does still occur, it adds a special dimension to the victors.

Some schools recruit and recruit and still can't produce a title. So those recruits don't achieve their goal and miss out on playing with their childhood friends. Sad.
Old 03-29-18, 11:16 AM
All American

Quote:

Embarrassing.

It asks nothing about extra curricular interests at all on the placement exam. Source.... a recent grad who took the same placement exam. Go cry how things are unfair like all the other snowflakes around the country.
Old 03-29-18, 11:22 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Its a sad but true fact that many communities could never win with home grown kids so they have to recruit. I wish it were different but its is no longer the way is used to be. When it does still occur, it adds a special dimension to the victors.

Some schools recruit and recruit and still can't produce a title. So those recruits don't achieve their goal and miss out on playing with their childhood friends. Sad.

Most on the team have all played football together in grade school for a local as stated by CB ďdesignated feeder schoolsĒ with it being Ss Robert and William in Euclid. Right in our backyard. So if you think we are taking kids from out of small towns, you are sadly mistaken. Because about 90% of our students come from local catholic schools around Euclid/Cleveland
Old 03-29-18, 11:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Again, if they can "steal your kids", the problem isn't them, it's you.

Actually, it is the OHSAA and the school administrators for not standing up for themselves or school systems and/or changing the rules. The school administrators across Ohio are the only individuals who can report a school, rally together to grab OHSAA's attention, and create new bylaws.

I would love for OHSAA to do random checks with schools with regards to tuition reimbursement and using the Ed Choice for students. That would create a better balance between the publics and privates. It would also punish the private schools who are buying kids.
Old 03-29-18, 11:44 AM
All American

And in all honesty if that was the case from my previous post, the CB numbers would of bumped St.Joes up a division or two but instead kept them right in D-V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-18, 11:48 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Most on the team have all played football together in grade school for a local as stated by CB ďdesignated feeder schoolsĒ with it being Ss Robert and William in Euclid. Right in our backyard. So if you think we are taking kids from out of small towns, you are sadly mistaken. Because about 90% of our students come from local catholic schools around Euclid/Cleveland
I don't agree with the twitter post that was made by VASJ. It appears as an act of desperation to grab talent. I wouldn't be surprised if local schools already reported VASJ for this tweet.

4-9-4 Forms of recruiting that are prohibited by this bylaw include but are not limited to:

1. Using direct mailings or electronic communication to send information to a specific
individual or individuals by name.
2. Meetings with, functions for or marketing to a select athletic group or individual/ individuals, i.e., eighth grade team or individual sports participant for the purpose of influencing enrollment at the high school.
3. Any coach or group of coaches having any contact with prospective student-athletes, except as permitted in Bylaw 4-9-3, who are not presently enrolled in the schoolís educational program, or their parents, prior to written acceptance notification. Note: For the purposes of this section of Bylaw 4, the description of ďcoachesĒ as stated in Bylaw 6-1-1 and 6-1-2 shall be applicable. Furthermore, the mere fact that a coach may also have another job title with his/her employer does not relieve that individual from this prohibition.
4. Interscholastic coaches answering athletic questions from prospective student-athletes and/ or their parents and describing their programs except within the school in accordance with approved administrative policies and procedures (i.e. via admissions offices) and consistent with the provisions set forth in Bylaw 4-9-3. Note: When an admissions officer is also a member of a coaching staff, that admissions officer shall have no contact with prospective enrollees except as specified within these bylaws as permissible for coaching staff
members.
5. Member schools distributing athletic publications or advertising solely for athletics. All athletic materials must be accompanied by general school information prior to student registration.

What does #5 say?
Old 03-29-18, 11:50 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Impressive that you can somehow know what all of these people know. But your point doesn't change the fact that after 8th grade, they have to make a decision. And to that, each child would not know specifically what kind of aid they would qualify for.
Old 03-29-18, 11:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
As an alum. Itís honestly good we are finally getting the kids back into the school regardless of interest. And from a Football perspective it was needed considering we havenít fielded a true freshman team or jv team in almost 10 years. I agree itís in bad taste to refer to them as commits/offers. Offers is an invitation to attend the school as itís around this time they pick schools and most of these kids played for feeder school Ss.Robert and William in Euclid consisting of kids from Our Lady of the Lake SSRW St.Jerome and St.Alís with those schools not sponsoring a football team all within 5-10 minute driving radius. And I can confirm 100% that there are NO scholarships involved... They have to at least maintain a School GPA requirement which is higher than the OHSAA mandated to even be eligible for extra curricular activities including non athletic groups. In hindsight itís a sigh relief knowing that our football program is rebuilding to where it should at a consistent competitive program. Besides you have to promote your school somehow with a high demographic and with how Euclid City Schools and CMSD are in academics and having to compete with bigger names schools like St.Edward, St.Ignatius, Benedictine, Lake Catholic, and NDCL.
I think it is great that you guys are rebounding, but that was not a good idea to make a tweet about that.
Old 03-29-18, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
I see how you roll.

Maybe you should concentrate about the "dirt" in your community.
Closed Thread