Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-19-17, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
News flash- you can't pick your parents. You shouldn't be punished for them.

Lonzo is a kid being held to a pretty high adult standard with the spotlight focused on him. He's also an average NBA player and is likely to get better. Were his father not an attention grubbing azzwipe, he'd be viewed as just a promising young NBA player.
Uh....OK. I'm not sure anyone is advocating that Lonzo be "punished". The old man's behavior has ensured that the two are inseparable in the public consciousness. It is what it is at this point.

The old man's braggadocio has painted an indelible bullseye on the kid's back. Those that find Lavar objectionable are likely to draw a little schadenfreude from any of Lonzo's struggles. While that is unfortunate, it should surprise no one, Lonzo included.

At this point, the kid's ceiling appears to be Ricky Rubio talent. As the kid's formative coach and dominant influence, that's on dad. Time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-17, 02:48 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Uh....OK. I'm not sure anyone is advocating that Lonzo be "punished". The old man's behavior has ensured that the two are inseparable in the public consciousness. It is what it is at this point.

The old man's braggadocio has painted an indelible bullseye on the kid's back. Those that find Lavar objectionable are likely to draw a little schadenfreude from any of Lonzo's struggles. While that is unfortunate, it should surprise no one, Lonzo included.

At this point, the kid's ceiling appears to be Ricky Rubio talent. As the kid's formative coach and dominant influence, that's on dad. Time will tell.
Agreed. I always thought OJ Mayo was a similar talent.
Old 11-19-17, 03:04 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
It isn't difficult for me to separate my feeling on Lavar from my feelings on Lonzo. Not sure why it would be for anyone.
Old 11-19-17, 03:11 PM
All Yappi

Nothing difficult at all about anticipating and forgiving the early-season struggles of a novice NBA guard, yet also enjoying the fails of Lavar Ball's son. Too complex a dynamic for you to grasp ?
Old 11-19-17, 03:16 PM
All Yappi

LaVar Ball and Donald Trump- two guys without the ability to just shut up.
Old 11-19-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
LaVar Ball and Donald Trump- two guys without the ability to just shut up.
They both seem to have garnering free pub as a primary goal. Trump has a lot more experience in doing it to effectively achieve goals.
Old 11-19-17, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They both seem to have garnering free pub as a primary goal. Trump has a lot more experience in doing it to effectively achieve goals.
I would say that this situation, where he's essentially said he should have left the UCLA kids in jail, is a rare situation where I'm glad he tweeted.

As long as the media keeps thrusting the microphone in LaVar's ugly and giving him a forum, he's just going to keep up the mindless jabbering.
Old 11-20-17, 07:25 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Nice stat line last night 11-16-11 for ball.
Old 11-20-17, 08:04 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Most rebounds by a rookie guard since 2000. But who cares? He played 40 minutes. Shoulda grabbed 20.
Old 11-21-17, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is on a distinguished road
I like the kid but i don't ever see him averaging over 15 points a game.

But 15-10 isn't to shabby.
Old 11-22-17, 09:56 AM
All American

joesports is on a distinguished road
The NBA is full of elite athletes at PG ... and he is not an elite athlete ... will struggle.
Old 11-22-17, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Nice stat line last night 11-16-11 for ball.
Were the numbers legit or part of the marketing campaign by the home team ?
I think he is having a decent year considering.
Old 11-22-17, 10:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Most rebounds by a rookie guard since 2000. But who cares? He played 40 minutes. Shoulda grabbed 20.
Very undervalued guard stat. When Rondo was at his best it was a significant part of his game, and Ball at least shoots better than Rondo ever did. Ending their possessions or extending your own while simultaneously putting the ball in the hands of the primary distributor is huge.
Old 11-27-17, 08:37 AM
All American

Quote:
Very undervalued guard stat. When Rondo was at his best it was a significant part of his game, and Ball at least shoots better than Rondo ever did. Ending their possessions or extending your own while simultaneously putting the ball in the hands of the primary distributor is huge.
Yup. Especially for a guy like Lonzo who is best at running the transition offense. Excellent post, cabe.
Old 11-27-17, 10:29 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Top rookies shooting percentage from 3: Ball 23%,Jackson 27%,Fox 26%,
Isaacs 29%,Ntilikina 24%, Smith Jr. 28% Monk&Mitchell 33%. Apparently, these rookies can't shoot either but only one person is terrible. Let him be.
Old 11-27-17, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Isaacs 29%,Ntilikina 24%, Smith Jr. 28% Monk&Mitchell 33%. Apparently, these rookies can't shoot either but only one person is terrible. Let him be.
Only one has a self promoting black dad.
Old 11-27-17, 08:01 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Got tickets to Knicks vs Lakers on 12/12 for my bday. Will certainly be one of the most anticipated games of the regular season.
Old 11-30-17, 11:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Only one has a self promoting black dad.
I gotcha but the son has nothing to do with that.
Old 12-05-17, 04:56 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
This probably belongs on the college basketball thread, but it involves the Ball family - and they seem to be connected thick or thin so I'm putting it here.

What and absolute screwball LeVar Ball is. He's now taking his son at UCLA and pulling him out of school. Going overseas to "get him ready" for the NBA draft. Remember this is the kid who got nailed shoplifting in China. Gotta believe UCLA coach Steve Alford is the happiest man on earth today.
Old 12-05-17, 07:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
This probably belongs on the college basketball thread, but it involves the Ball family - and they seem to be connected thick or thin so I'm putting it here.

What and absolute screwball LeVar Ball is. He's now taking his son at UCLA and pulling him out of school. Going overseas to "get him ready" for the NBA draft. Remember this is the kid who got nailed shoplifting in China. Gotta believe UCLA coach Steve Alford is the happiest man on earth today.
I'm guessing Alford may have tipped the Chinese cops
Old 12-05-17, 07:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I gotcha but the son has nothing to do with that.
I hope e_p's kids are never punished for his poor behavior.
Old 12-06-17, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I hope e_p's kids are never punished for his poor behavior.
What poor behavior weirdo?
Old 12-06-17, 03:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Jackson, Fox, Isaacs, Ntilikina, Smith Jr. Monk and Mitchell's Dad didn't say their son is better than Steph Curry. No mercy on Lonzo, his Daddy wrote checks he'll never be able to pay. Incredible that in 2017, a blowhard Dad can punk the media and and entire pro sports league and parlay it into the #2 overall pick and a meal ticket for his entire family. So much for scouts and experts knowing anything about the game.
Old 12-06-17, 03:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Incredible that in 2017, a blowhard Dad can punk the media and and entire pro sports league and parlay it into the #2 overall pick and a meal ticket for his entire family. So much for scouts and experts knowing anything about the game.
This might be your best take yet. Well done!
Old 12-06-17, 03:24 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I certainly have never been a fan of him. I really don't think he is that good or will ever be an elite NBA player but he certainly had some intangibles to warrant the number 2 pick. The only team he punked was the 76ers by saying he wouldn't play for them and then they took Fultz.
Old 12-06-17, 03:48 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I certainly have never been a fan of him. I really don't think he is that good or will ever be an elite NBA player but he certainly had some intangibles to warrant the number 2 pick. The only team he punked was the 76ers by saying he wouldn't play for them and then they took Fultz.
Thank goodness, I wouldn't want the guy! At least Fultz is hurt, we don't know if he can't play yet. Lonzo proves every night he's not an NBA player. So being the wise Dad LaVar is, he pulls his boy out of a scholarship at UCLA to go chase a basketball dream?? Really? No one in the media ever criticizes this guy? Folks, an athletic scholarship for these athletes ARE worth something!! No every college athlete can play pro ball, in fact most don't! The real irony is that in two years, when Ball kid #2 washes out of some euro league, he'll be back at some college, paying his own way?? Great job parenting LaVar!!
Old 12-06-17, 03:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Thank goodness, I wouldn't want the guy! At least Fultz is hurt, we don't know if he can't play yet. Lonzo proves every night he's not an NBA player. So being the wise Dad LaVar is, he pulls his boy out of a scholarship at UCLA to go chase a basketball dream?? Really? No one in the media ever criticizes this guy? Folks, an athletic scholarship for these athletes ARE worth something!! No every college athlete can play pro ball, in fact most don't! The real irony is that in two years, when Ball kid #2 washes out of some euro league, he'll be back at some college, paying his own way?? Great job parenting LaVar!!
You're joking, right?
Old 12-06-17, 04:00 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You think he would go back to school? I doubt it that would be too logical for the Balls. He probably ends up working for big baller brand and/or being his brothers agent. He isn't smart enough to go to school lol
Old 12-06-17, 04:21 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
You're joking, right?
Of course he's not joking.
Old 12-07-17, 09:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Jackson, Fox, Isaacs, Ntilikina, Smith Jr. Monk and Mitchell's Dad didn't say their son is better than Steph Curry. No mercy on Lonzo, his Daddy wrote checks he'll never be able to pay. Incredible that in 2017, a blowhard Dad can punk the media and and entire pro sports league and parlay it into the #2 overall pick and a meal ticket for his entire family. So much for scouts and experts knowing anything about the game.
Again as I said earlier the kid has nothing to do with what his dad does,,,,,The Lakers didn't have to draft him at #2 and the media can walk away and Lonzo has never said he was better than anybody. So why hate the kid?

Question: If the dad annoys that much then why do you continue to give him your time? At this point you know what you're gonna get from him so why do you continue to pay attention? Change the channel........?!?!