Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 11-19-17, 02:24 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
News flash- you can't pick your parents. You shouldn't be punished for them.

Lonzo is a kid being held to a pretty high adult standard with the spotlight focused on him. He's also an average NBA player and is likely to get better. Were his father not an attention grubbing azzwipe, he'd be viewed as just a promising young NBA player.
Uh....OK. I'm not sure anyone is advocating that Lonzo be "punished". The old man's behavior has ensured that the two are inseparable in the public consciousness. It is what it is at this point.

The old man's braggadocio has painted an indelible bullseye on the kid's back. Those that find Lavar objectionable are likely to draw a little schadenfreude from any of Lonzo's struggles. While that is unfortunate, it should surprise no one, Lonzo included.

At this point, the kid's ceiling appears to be Ricky Rubio talent. As the kid's formative coach and dominant influence, that's on dad. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #92  
Old 11-19-17, 02:48 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,331
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Uh....OK. I'm not sure anyone is advocating that Lonzo be "punished". The old man's behavior has ensured that the two are inseparable in the public consciousness. It is what it is at this point.

The old man's braggadocio has painted an indelible bullseye on the kid's back. Those that find Lavar objectionable are likely to draw a little schadenfreude from any of Lonzo's struggles. While that is unfortunate, it should surprise no one, Lonzo included.

At this point, the kid's ceiling appears to be Ricky Rubio talent. As the kid's formative coach and dominant influence, that's on dad. Time will tell.
Agreed. I always thought OJ Mayo was a similar talent.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-19-17, 03:04 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,703
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
It isn't difficult for me to separate my feeling on Lavar from my feelings on Lonzo. Not sure why it would be for anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-19-17, 03:11 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Nothing difficult at all about anticipating and forgiving the early-season struggles of a novice NBA guard, yet also enjoying the fails of Lavar Ball's son. Too complex a dynamic for you to grasp ?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-19-17, 03:16 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,331
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
LaVar Ball and Donald Trump- two guys without the ability to just shut up.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 11-19-17, 03:36 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
LaVar Ball and Donald Trump- two guys without the ability to just shut up.
They both seem to have garnering free pub as a primary goal. Trump has a lot more experience in doing it to effectively achieve goals.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 11-19-17, 03:50 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 9,331
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
They both seem to have garnering free pub as a primary goal. Trump has a lot more experience in doing it to effectively achieve goals.
I would say that this situation, where he's essentially said he should have left the UCLA kids in jail, is a rare situation where I'm glad he tweeted.

As long as the media keeps thrusting the microphone in LaVar's ugly and giving him a forum, he's just going to keep up the mindless jabbering.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-20-17, 07:25 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Nice stat line last night 11-16-11 for ball.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-20-17, 08:04 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Most rebounds by a rookie guard since 2000. But who cares? He played 40 minutes. Shoulda grabbed 20.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-21-17, 12:05 PM
BigBulldog's Avatar
BigBulldog BigBulldog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-26-02
Posts: 7,711
BigBulldog is on a distinguished road
I like the kid but i don't ever see him averaging over 15 points a game.

But 15-10 isn't to shabby.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 11-22-17, 09:56 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,378
joesports is on a distinguished road
The NBA is full of elite athletes at PG ... and he is not an elite athlete ... will struggle.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-22-17, 04:24 PM
Southwest Guy Southwest Guy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-05-02
Posts: 12,830
Southwest Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Nice stat line last night 11-16-11 for ball.
Were the numbers legit or part of the marketing campaign by the home team ?
I think he is having a decent year considering.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-22-17, 10:40 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Most rebounds by a rookie guard since 2000. But who cares? He played 40 minutes. Shoulda grabbed 20.
Very undervalued guard stat. When Rondo was at his best it was a significant part of his game, and Ball at least shoots better than Rondo ever did. Ending their possessions or extending your own while simultaneously putting the ball in the hands of the primary distributor is huge.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-27-17, 08:37 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Very undervalued guard stat. When Rondo was at his best it was a significant part of his game, and Ball at least shoots better than Rondo ever did. Ending their possessions or extending your own while simultaneously putting the ball in the hands of the primary distributor is huge.
Yup. Especially for a guy like Lonzo who is best at running the transition offense. Excellent post, cabe.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-27-17, 10:29 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,657
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Top rookies shooting percentage from 3: Ball 23%,Jackson 27%,Fox 26%,
Isaacs 29%,Ntilikina 24%, Smith Jr. 28% Monk&Mitchell 33%. Apparently, these rookies can't shoot either but only one person is terrible. Let him be.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-27-17, 11:02 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Top rookies shooting percentage from 3: Ball 23%,Jackson 27%,Fox 26%,
Isaacs 29%,Ntilikina 24%, Smith Jr. 28% Monk&Mitchell 33%. Apparently, these rookies can't shoot either but only one person is terrible. Let him be.
Only one has a self promoting black dad.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 11-27-17, 08:01 PM
Chop Stix Chop Stix is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-06-05
Location: 8000 Utopia Pkwy
Posts: 3,418
Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Got tickets to Knicks vs Lakers on 12/12 for my bday. Will certainly be one of the most anticipated games of the regular season.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 11-30-17, 11:35 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,657
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Only one has a self promoting black dad.
I gotcha but the son has nothing to do with that.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-05-17, 04:56 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,314
14Red is on a distinguished road
This probably belongs on the college basketball thread, but it involves the Ball family - and they seem to be connected thick or thin so I'm putting it here.

What and absolute screwball LeVar Ball is. He's now taking his son at UCLA and pulling him out of school. Going overseas to "get him ready" for the NBA draft. Remember this is the kid who got nailed shoplifting in China. Gotta believe UCLA coach Steve Alford is the happiest man on earth today.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-05-17, 07:50 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
This probably belongs on the college basketball thread, but it involves the Ball family - and they seem to be connected thick or thin so I'm putting it here.

What and absolute screwball LeVar Ball is. He's now taking his son at UCLA and pulling him out of school. Going overseas to "get him ready" for the NBA draft. Remember this is the kid who got nailed shoplifting in China. Gotta believe UCLA coach Steve Alford is the happiest man on earth today.
I'm guessing Alford may have tipped the Chinese cops
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-05-17, 07:51 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
I gotcha but the son has nothing to do with that.
I hope e_p's kids are never punished for his poor behavior.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-06-17, 02:29 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I hope e_p's kids are never punished for his poor behavior.
What poor behavior weirdo?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-06-17, 03:11 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,314
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Top rookies shooting percentage from 3: Ball 23%,Jackson 27%,Fox 26%,
Isaacs 29%,Ntilikina 24%, Smith Jr. 28% Monk&Mitchell 33%. Apparently, these rookies can't shoot either but only one person is terrible. Let him be.
Jackson, Fox, Isaacs, Ntilikina, Smith Jr. Monk and Mitchell's Dad didn't say their son is better than Steph Curry. No mercy on Lonzo, his Daddy wrote checks he'll never be able to pay. Incredible that in 2017, a blowhard Dad can punk the media and and entire pro sports league and parlay it into the #2 overall pick and a meal ticket for his entire family. So much for scouts and experts knowing anything about the game.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-06-17, 03:21 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Incredible that in 2017, a blowhard Dad can punk the media and and entire pro sports league and parlay it into the #2 overall pick and a meal ticket for his entire family. So much for scouts and experts knowing anything about the game.
This might be your best take yet. Well done!
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-06-17, 03:24 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 2,256
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I certainly have never been a fan of him. I really don't think he is that good or will ever be an elite NBA player but he certainly had some intangibles to warrant the number 2 pick. The only team he punked was the 76ers by saying he wouldn't play for them and then they took Fultz.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-06-17, 03:48 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,314
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I certainly have never been a fan of him. I really don't think he is that good or will ever be an elite NBA player but he certainly had some intangibles to warrant the number 2 pick. The only team he punked was the 76ers by saying he wouldn't play for them and then they took Fultz.
Thank goodness, I wouldn't want the guy! At least Fultz is hurt, we don't know if he can't play yet. Lonzo proves every night he's not an NBA player. So being the wise Dad LaVar is, he pulls his boy out of a scholarship at UCLA to go chase a basketball dream?? Really? No one in the media ever criticizes this guy? Folks, an athletic scholarship for these athletes ARE worth something!! No every college athlete can play pro ball, in fact most don't! The real irony is that in two years, when Ball kid #2 washes out of some euro league, he'll be back at some college, paying his own way?? Great job parenting LaVar!!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-06-17, 03:57 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Thank goodness, I wouldn't want the guy! At least Fultz is hurt, we don't know if he can't play yet. Lonzo proves every night he's not an NBA player. So being the wise Dad LaVar is, he pulls his boy out of a scholarship at UCLA to go chase a basketball dream?? Really? No one in the media ever criticizes this guy? Folks, an athletic scholarship for these athletes ARE worth something!! No every college athlete can play pro ball, in fact most don't! The real irony is that in two years, when Ball kid #2 washes out of some euro league, he'll be back at some college, paying his own way?? Great job parenting LaVar!!
You're joking, right?
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-06-17, 04:00 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 2,256
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Thank goodness, I wouldn't want the guy! At least Fultz is hurt, we don't know if he can't play yet. Lonzo proves every night he's not an NBA player. So being the wise Dad LaVar is, he pulls his boy out of a scholarship at UCLA to go chase a basketball dream?? Really? No one in the media ever criticizes this guy? Folks, an athletic scholarship for these athletes ARE worth something!! No every college athlete can play pro ball, in fact most don't! The real irony is that in two years, when Ball kid #2 washes out of some euro league, he'll be back at some college, paying his own way?? Great job parenting LaVar!!
You think he would go back to school? I doubt it that would be too logical for the Balls. He probably ends up working for big baller brand and/or being his brothers agent. He isn't smart enough to go to school lol
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-06-17, 04:21 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 859
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
You're joking, right?
Of course he's not joking.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12-07-17, 09:16 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,657
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Jackson, Fox, Isaacs, Ntilikina, Smith Jr. Monk and Mitchell's Dad didn't say their son is better than Steph Curry. No mercy on Lonzo, his Daddy wrote checks he'll never be able to pay. Incredible that in 2017, a blowhard Dad can punk the media and and entire pro sports league and parlay it into the #2 overall pick and a meal ticket for his entire family. So much for scouts and experts knowing anything about the game.
Again as I said earlier the kid has nothing to do with what his dad does,,,,,The Lakers didn't have to draft him at #2 and the media can walk away and Lonzo has never said he was better than anybody. So why hate the kid?

Question: If the dad annoys that much then why do you continue to give him your time? At this point you know what you're gonna get from him so why do you continue to pay attention? Change the channel........?!?!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game report: Sidney 49 Tippecanoe 42 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 26 10-07-17 04:43 PM
Jared Ball Commits ozzie8383 Wrestling 3 09-06-17 08:32 PM
Ohio shortstop gives game ball to player whose walk-off hit cost him state title Yappi Baseball 3 06-23-17 09:45 PM
How much TV do you watch a week? EastYoungstown General Board 27 05-12-17 10:40 AM
Project HS Football Watch.... vamp2syd Football 5 05-03-17 07:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz