Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-19-17, 10:34 AM
All American

eagle172 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to eagle172
Pistons/Luke

No minutes for Luke in the opener, but Johnson had 40 mins. and was 0 for 13 from the field!! Can someone explain that to me?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-17, 01:29 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Because Stan Van Gundy is an idiot.
Old 10-20-17, 05:46 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I don't think Luke will be more than a role player in the NBA. But with the Pistons lacking talent you wonder why he wouldn't get any minutes
Old 10-24-17, 09:30 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Stan Van Gundy has a history of not favoring rookies. I said last year that Detroit wasn't a good fit for Luke. That style doesn't fit his game;finesse catch and shoot isolation. Detroit is a half court,slow the ball down in your face defense grind it out possession team. It is still early though the season is just a week old. A lot of basketball left.
Old 10-26-17, 09:53 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Van Gundy is an idiot. Not sure why Stanley Johnson continues to play huge minutes and he's garbage yet he's got Kennard riding the pine. Makes no sense. Give him a chance!
Old 10-26-17, 10:44 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
I'm a little surprised with Kennard. I thought he'd be able to transition quickly to the NBA game. It's not like the Pistons have a great roster. Unfortunately, many simply can't make the transition.
Kennard's in a tough spot because he has to guard really, really good athletes across the board. He's not that great of a shooter to compensate for any defensive liability. Guys like Kyle Korver and JJ Redick come to mind. They are GREAT shooters, but minutes are sometimes limited, especially in Korver's case because they struggle on the defensive end.
I think Kennard can work his way into it. Redick has really made himself into a solid pro.
Old 10-26-17, 01:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'm a little surprised with Kennard. I thought he'd be able to transition quickly to the NBA game. It's not like the Pistons have a great roster. Unfortunately, many simply can't make the transition.
Kennard's in a tough spot because he has to guard really, really good athletes across the board. He's not that great of a shooter to compensate for any defensive liability. Guys like Kyle Korver and JJ Redick come to mind. They are GREAT shooters, but minutes are sometimes limited, especially in Korver's case because they struggle on the defensive end.
I think Kennard can work his way into it. Redick has really made himself into a solid pro.
Kennard is also a great shooter like the two you mentioned. He's also more athletic than ppl give him credit for. He may not be an elite athlete but he can hold his own. He also isn't the quickest guy, but he is crafty with his defense and puts himself in the right position. Just watch him play. He actually is an above average defender if you ask me.

I think it's just a combo of Stan Van not loving to play rookies, and having a few good guards ahead of him. The guards ahead of him aren't all nba type players, but veterans who deserve the bulk of the PT. I think Kennard should get 15-20 min a game off the bench. If he did, he could average 10-12 points and be a solid contributer to a fringe playoff team.
Old 10-26-17, 02:06 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Kennard is also a great shooter like the two you mentioned. He's also more athletic than ppl give him credit for. He may not be an elite athlete but he can hold his own. He also isn't the quickest guy, but he is crafty with his defense and puts himself in the right position. Just watch him play. He actually is an above average defender if you ask me.

I think it's just a combo of Stan Van not loving to play rookies, and having a few good guards ahead of him. The guards ahead of him aren't all nba type players, but veterans who deserve the bulk of the PT. I think Kennard should get 15-20 min a game off the bench. If he did, he could average 10-12 points and be a solid contributer to a fringe playoff team.
Kennard may have been a good college shooter, but this is a whole different level. There are tons of guys who where great shooters coming out of college. In pro ball, there are few "open" shots, guys rarely shoot over defenders like before. Korver and Redick have done it for a long time and have stood the test of time. You don't last in the NBA for 5+ seasons if you don't get alot better. I think Kennard can be that type of player, but time will tell.
Old 10-27-17, 07:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Kennard may have been a good college shooter, but this is a whole different level. There are tons of guys who where great shooters coming out of college. In pro ball, there are few "open" shots, guys rarely shoot over defenders like before. Korver and Redick have done it for a long time and have stood the test of time. You don't last in the NBA for 5+ seasons if you don't get alot better. I think Kennard can be that type of player, but time will tell.
I'm proud of you 14Red this ^ was actually a very good and true statement!
Old 11-01-17, 10:08 AM
All World

What's been going on lately? He is not even showing up as being on the active roster? This is sad, he is not even being given a chance.
Old 11-03-17, 08:29 AM
All American

Won't play anytime soon. Van Gundy is not impressed with his lack of defense therefore he is inactive. Detroit was a bad fit.
Old 11-03-17, 11:51 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Yeah what a mess. Van Gundy is a huge d0uche, and a moron.
Old 11-05-17, 11:14 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Yeah what a mess. Van Gundy is a huge d0uche, and a moron.
Pistons are tied for the best record in the NBA right now.
Old 11-05-17, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Luke's been sent to the Pistons' G League team in Grand Rapids.

I wouldn't expect much more opportunity this year. SVG's track record with rookies not named Dwyane Wade is pretty abysmal.
Old 11-08-17, 09:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
Pistons are tied for the best record in the NBA right now.
Also Van Gundy has won everywhere he's coached!

Last edited by Zezzo!; 11-27-17 at 10:32 AM..
Old 11-08-17, 09:45 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Pistons win by 17. Lukey boy scores 2 points in 12 minutes. What a horrible coach.
Old 11-13-17, 10:07 AM
All American

14 points for Luke last night.
Old 11-15-17, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

JediMaster is on a distinguished road
Detroit offers Luke the ability to develop his defense, especially going against elite defender Avery Bradley in practice; only going to get better if he stays focused.
Old 12-05-17, 12:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Detroit offers Luke the ability to develop his defense, especially going against elite defender Avery Bradley in practice; only going to get better if he stays focused.
I'd say every team does that they're all professionals. Also, if he's going against Bradley everyday in practice wouldn't he be on offense?
me here I'm so