Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Tourney attendance thoughts

Anyone who's been going to the tourney for more than a couple years knows the attendance numbers have dropped drastically the last 10 years or so....from regularly seeing games draw 12-14,000 to now seeing 8-10K as the norm. What do you think for this year.

Thursday attendance could be brutally low. Eastmoor, SVSM, LE and Wellington may have 1000 fans combined. Trotwood brought a great crowd for football playoffs but not sure the early afternoon start will bring a lot of fans out. Wauseon will bring the most of the day. Delphos St. Johns will be good, and Perry will draw a lot of Lima folks...especially with it being the late game. I'm going to say the first three games of the day won't draw more than 8000 each and game 4 may get to 8500.

Friday....Pick Central/Moeller will be the biggest crowd in quite a while....maybe hit 13,000. Roger Bacon/Archbold somewhere in the 10-11K range.....VA/Proctorville 9,000 and St. Ed/Jackson maybe 10,500.

I doubt any of the finals get much past 10K...unless we get a Delphos St John / Perry matchup....if that happens all of Allen County may show up. D1 final has the potential to be one of the best in a long time, but the late start just doesn't translate into big crowds.

At some point you'd think the OHSAA would realize that 8000 people at $15/ticket is the same as 12,000 people at $10 ticket....drop the price and have an arena that's 2/3 full instead of half...but I guess they just don't work that way lol
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 11:17 AM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
I don't think $5 ($15 vs $10) is really what keeps people away. That is not enough of a difference to keep me away if its a team I want to see.

I'm not really sure what it is with attendance being down over the last 10 years. I know the state wrestling tournament is the same thing. Set records each year until about 5-6 years ago and then has leveled off or gone down. It must be a combination of overall costs, not just the tickets, and time. People are just more busy now, or think they are.
Old 03-20-17, 11:28 AM
Varsity

Smokin' Joe is on a distinguished road
I think its partly due to the AAU vultures that are starting tournaments already to make more money off of kids and their parents. Parents and kids (I'm talking 8th grade and lower) that may go to the tournament together are instead sitting in crappy gyms watching AAU games during the state tournament. Tournaments used to start in April and now you have tournaments that started as early as 2 weekends ago.
Old 03-20-17, 11:32 AM
Varsity

BasketballLover is on a distinguished road
broadcasting them on TV allows people to stay home and watch for free
Old 03-20-17, 11:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballLover View Post
broadcasting them on TV allows people to stay home and watch for free
Well, technically you are not watching for "free" since you pay for the cable or internet. But I get your point. Its a lot less $$ and a lot less time.
Old 03-20-17, 11:58 AM
All District

unc4life is on a distinguished road
2 Things.

1. Price of tickets is not a problem. If there are teams and or players people want to see money will be paid. Which leads to my point number 2.

2. Attendance goes with who is playing at the tournament. The last few years just have not had the big names. They missed out on Luke Kennard a few times, who probably drew better attendance at his regional games then the divsion 2 state tournament games. People want to see players they know.

I actually think the new TV deal will help. STO used to be in far more houses then whatever timewarner cable or spectrum brings.
Old 03-20-17, 11:58 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
I think if you buy a ticket, it should be for the day. So may be charge 15 bucks for the day. The food is already expensive enough!
Old 03-20-17, 12:13 PM
Varsity

Malabar10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
I think if you buy a ticket, it should be for the day. So may be charge 15 bucks for the day. The food is already expensive enough!
If they did that you may as well cancel all non-revenue sports, since the Boys Baketball basically supports everything else but football.
Old 03-20-17, 12:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabar10 View Post
If they did that you may as well cancel all non-revenue sports, since the Boys Baketball basically supports everything else but football.
??? I think he is talking the OHSAA state tournament. Are you talking each HS?
Old 03-20-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
We went a few years ago and had to park quite a distance away and catch the shuttle. It was freezing cold and kind of a pain to do with the kids. There may be a better way but being from Cincy I didn't know of one.
Old 03-20-17, 12:25 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitSulHer View Post
??? I think he is talking the OHSAA state tournament. Are you talking each HS?
Yes, I am talking about the OHSAA state championship in high school basketball. Charge 15 to 20 bucks for the day. You will see 4 games a day, Thursday through Saturday. I think Attendance will jump up a bit. There is no guarantees.
Old 03-20-17, 12:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
We went a few years ago and had to park quite a distance away and catch the shuttle. It was freezing cold and kind of a pain to do with the kids. There may be a better way but being from Cincy I didn't know of one.
Right, in the old world this is how it was done. People accepted it and made the most of it. Memories. Some of the best memories I have are of the worst situation we (my family) ended up in. Nowadays people don't want to go this route. Takes too much time, effort, and money. The world is different with cable, social media, etc. Not saying its bad, just different.
Old 03-20-17, 12:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
Yes, I am talking about the OHSAA state championship in high school basketball. Charge 15 to 20 bucks for the day. You will see 4 games a day, Thursday through Saturday. I think Attendance will jump up a bit. There is no guarantees.
My question was to Malabar10. I got your point. I don't know what Malabar10 was talking about.
Old 03-20-17, 01:05 PM
All Region

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My question was to Malabar10. I got your point. I don't know what Malabar10 was talking about.
Jackson vs St Edward will probably have the biggest attendance in my opinion.
Old 03-20-17, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I don't think $5 ($15 vs $10) is really what keeps people away. That is not enough of a difference to keep me away if its a team I want to see.

I'm not really sure what it is with attendance being down over the last 10 years. I know the state wrestling tournament is the same thing. Set records each year until about 5-6 years ago and then has leveled off or gone down. It must be a combination of overall costs, not just the tickets, and time. People are just more busy now, or think they are.

Maybe not for one game, but where the attendance has really dropped is the "weekenders" who would come down with their buddies and 5 or 6 kids and watch 10 games. You used to see them hanging out in the St. John parking lot...heck, some of the groups were 20-30 people or more. 10 years ago, tickets were $8. Now at $15, that's an extra $280 for the weekend if a guy comes down and brings his 3 boys and goes to 10 games. Heck, now you can't even park at St John for free.....which we did for 20+ years. A lot more people would go down for the day and watch 4 games for $32 bucks....but not so many at $60 plus parking.
Old 03-20-17, 01:54 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Another factor, for at least a school like VASJ or others that get there often is that it isn't special anymore. Getting their a bunch you get complacent, it's not a big deal.
Old 03-20-17, 02:05 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Another factor, for at least a school like VASJ or others that get there often is that it isn't special anymore. Getting their a bunch you get complacent, it's not a big deal.
That seems to be one of the problems in basketball and football. It's always fun to see that one school that has never been there and they bring the whole community.
Old 03-20-17, 02:51 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
That seems to be one of the problems in basketball and football. It's always fun to see that one school that has never been there and they bring the whole community.
One team towns can (and do) shut down for the day so folks can travel to the games. I agree it is fun to see. However, that is not reality for the majority of schools. Many adults cannot get off work to attend the weekday games. Unless the achools provide busses for students, those kids don't have transportation to Columbus.

These are real life issues the town, suburban and wealthier schools don't face. For posters to disparage the fan bases of the schools that do and presume the school has no sense of cummunity is judgmental and wrong.

No one has said anything on this thread yet, but it has been an annual mantra during tourney time.
And Tcgobucks comment "1000 fans combined" at the D2 games caught my eye. I think that is low.

Last edited by SeeYaSometime; 03-20-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 03:54 PM
All District

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Wauseon is shutting down schools that day and is having transportation for students.
Old 03-20-17, 04:36 PM
Freshman

Gymschu is on a distinguished road
I attended the state tournament from 1972 - 2006. I missed a few years during that time. In my opinion, there just aren't too many compelling stories or big name players. I think the last time I really enjoyed the tourney was when Upper Sandusky and the Diebler boys were there. I guess this reasoning falls into what KingPin said. Teams get there so often anymore that it's not unique to them or their fan base, or, for that matter, the casual fan. Kind of "been there, done that." Also, the skill level, fundamentals in particular, are lacking. Teams seem to throw it "all over the gym" and it's frustrating watching that kind of basketball, especially for us old timers.
Old 03-20-17, 05:06 PM
All District

Scibourne is on a distinguished road
My thoughts:
1. People would rather stay at home and watch the NCAA tournament than attend the HS tournament.
2. Emergence of small private school powerhouses like Lutheran East, Wellington and Cornerstone has hurt attendance as they have little to no outside community support. A Lutheran East vs. Wellington D4 Final may draw 5000 fans.
3. Players who in the past attended local schools and drew fans are now attending out of state prep schools.
4. Fans have tons of options with dozens of cable sports channels.
5. People now indulge in video games and social media. Fans now talk online about high school sports rather than attend games.

I miss the 14-16,000 which was regular attendance at the tournament but anything over 10,000 is now a big deal. Times have changed.
Old 03-20-17, 05:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post

No one has said anything on this thread yet, but it has been an annual mantra during tourney time.
And Tcgobucks comment "1000 fans combined" at the D2 games caught my eye. I think that is low.
I didn't say 1000 fans combined for the D2 games....heck, Wauseon may have 4-5000 alone. I said the fan bases from Eastmoor, LE, SVSM and Wellington will total 1000. I'm not doubting some of the things you say about transportation, work, etc, but the bigger issue is 90% of the people in Wauseon, Delphos, Archbold, etc know somebody on the team or multiple kids on the team. Heck, some people probably know every kid in their son or daughter's entire class. My kids both had 150+ kids in their grad classes and I'm guessing I probably could name 125 of them if you showed me their picture. It's not that way at the schools I mentioned...so people just don't get excited about following the team. Not saying it's wrong in any way...it's just the way it is.
Old 03-20-17, 05:45 PM
Freshman

english1 is on a distinguished road
I believe the biggest single factor in declining attendance is the private school factor. Instead of entire communities of fan support as well as the support of the league and surrounding communities (ie, Archbold, Wauseon, Jackson, Lima Perry), you have private schools with a very small fan base and very little support outside of their community. Example: If played Versailles played Archbold in D-3, you would have 5000 or more fans from those communities at the game. Instead, we get VASJ-Roger Bacon and maybe 2500 fans show up between the two schools. You do the math. As the private schools continue to dominate, the numbers will continue to drop.
Old 03-20-17, 05:51 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I think it is a lot of factors. Mainly times are different now, they just are.

Attendance has been declining in football also even at non-private school, people just don't have the same interest in high school sports as they used to.

When I was a kid we all went to the football games on Friday night. At the Elementary school they would mention the game on the announcements and everyone knew about the game. Now 90% of the kids don't even know there are football games on Friday night, let alone do they go to the game.

My school made it to the Regionals in basketball this year and I did not hear one mention of it at the Elementary level.

Last edited by afwpatfire; 03-20-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 06:16 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasula24 View Post
Wauseon is shutting down schools that day and is having transportation for students.
This is great. Very happy for the kids and your team. Creating memories that will be talked about for years to come. Enjoy the experience. Good luck to your team!
Old 03-20-17, 07:15 PM
All Region

skyvue
My guess is this will set a new low for overall attendance, since it has been at the Schott. As others pointed out, attendance has been dwindling and there are 6-7 team who are well known not to have big fan followings. The one thing that should be a boost for the Saturday game is the infuriating decision for them to only show the games on Spectrum cable, which the vast majority of Ohio households do not have!

For people I know, cost of the tickets has not been a factor in the decline. The issue for me and some of my friends is how inconvenient OHSAA is making the logistics of attending the events. There was a time when you could always find parking within a decent walk of the venue with the exception of the truly huge games (Lebron, etc...). Today, many or most are required to park in the shuttle lot which can mean long lines and wasted time, especially leaving the arena to get back to your car. That is annoying enough, but last year there were 3 or 4 games where parking was shut off even at the Shuttle lot which forced us to scramble to find somewhere far away from the arena. This would be understandable if the lot were actually FULL, but we could literally see at least a 100 (likely many more) open parking spaces in the lot while driving by on 315.
Old 03-20-17, 07:18 PM
All Region

skyvue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdill100 View Post
Jackson vs St Edward will probably have the biggest attendance in my opinion.
Perhaps, but it would have to be due to Jackson by themselves. St. Edward fan base does not travel well for basketball.
Old 03-20-17, 09:48 PM
All District

hhawks is on a distinguished road
The private schools are hurting the attendance big time
Old 03-20-17, 10:01 PM
Junior Varsity

ambassador is on a distinguished road
Back in the 70's I worked in a bar called the Black Forest Inn. During the state tournament, fans would buy the package tickets, leave near the end of each game to rush back to get their seats at the bar. Those were great times.
Old 03-21-17, 01:26 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
No LeBron James or OJ Mayo /end