Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 02:44 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRGrapplersMom View Post
It was great weekend for those freshman and sophomores at Junior High State!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did laugh when I saw a car at Covelli wuth a "student driver" sticker.
Old 03-20-17, 02:45 PM
Freshman

EastOhio is on a distinguished road
Could someone post a link to results ?
Old 03-20-17, 02:53 PM
All Region

youthCoach
http://sikorasoftsystems.com/Oacjrstate/
Old 03-20-17, 03:44 PM
All Region

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Got it alda1113. So a 15.5 yr old was wrestling in a JH tourney? WOW!
I think your MISSING THE POINT ALDAS Kid lost hence the multiple post!!!!
Old 03-20-17, 04:05 PM
All Ohio

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alda1113 View Post
Testosterone starts in most boys about 13 1/2 or 4 months after their 13 th birthday. Yes there are stragglers! By 15, testosterone is in the system fully. As with junior high and high school there are different weight classes. That's why many 106 pounders are FRESHMAN! I actually have a Freshman as well and yes he's wrestled 18 year olds, but this is JUNIOR HIGH.
But you decided to start your kid early, how is it wrong of those who chose not to do that?
Old 03-20-17, 04:22 PM
All American

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosh wrestling dad View Post
I think your MISSING THE POINT ALDAS Kid lost hence the multiple post!!!!
Or did I?
Old 03-21-17, 07:33 AM
Freshman

kurly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
32oz drink is about 1.5 lb of water, plus or minus.
16 oz = 1 lb
Old 03-21-17, 08:31 AM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurly View Post
16 oz = 1 lb
You are correct, but I made the assumption they peed some of it out rather than down the 32 oz and jump on the scale .
Old 03-21-17, 08:39 AM
Freshman

alda1113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
But you decided to start your kid early, how is it wrong of those who chose not to do that?
I started my kid at an appropriate age. Most kids start kindergarten when they are 5. It's HOLDING kids back that I have a problem with. Now yes academically, if they are struggling or are immature in behavior at 5 or 6 years old then I believe holding their child back would be appropriate. But, to hold a kid back at 6 th grade. To do 6th grade over so that they can have a competitive advantage in athletics, not a fan. As far as my kid losing, my kid was ecstatic at making the podium for the first time ever. That's what I will cherish, is the biggest smile you'll ever see when he was on that podium and the tears of joy when he made it into the placement round after that match. Sorry, if I offended Hammer, MPhilips and some other parents because of "my opinion". If you all feel that you need to hold your child back to gain that competitive advantage so that HIGH SCHOOLS can recruit you. Or if you think that your child will be that 1% Division 1 wrestling scholarship go for it, it is definitely your prerogative!
Old 03-21-17, 11:17 AM
All Region

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Could be like Pa and allow 7th graders to wrestle GS or 9th graders to wrestle Jr. High.....maybe that's why they are better
Old 03-21-17, 12:08 PM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by severs0801 View Post
Could be like Pa and allow 7th graders to wrestle GS or 9th graders to wrestle Jr. High.....maybe that's why they are better
And here I thought it was because they pretty much never call stalling on the top guy, forcing the bottom guy to actually get out
Old 03-21-17, 01:20 PM
Freshman

Mr. Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I started my kid at an appropriate age. Most kids start kindergarten when they are 5. It's HOLDING kids back that I have a problem with. Now yes academically, if they are struggling or are immature in behavior at 5 or 6 years old then I believe holding their child back would be appropriate. But, to hold a kid back at 6 th grade. To do 6th grade over so that they can have a competitive advantage in athletics, not a fan. As far as my kid losing, my kid was ecstatic at making the podium for the first time ever. That's what I will cherish, is the biggest smile you'll ever see when he was on that podium and the tears of joy when he made it into the placement round after that match. Sorry, if I offended Hammer, MPhilips and some other parents because of "my opinion". If you all feel that you need to hold your child back to gain that competitive advantage so that HIGH SCHOOLS can recruit you. Or if you think that your child will be that 1% Division 1 wrestling scholarship go for it, it is definitely your prerogative!

That is spot on. You and I who share this opinion will never change the die-hard who believe it. I can't help but think the kids doubt themselves in the back of their mind. Would I have won this if I were not held back? Am I really that good? Kids are smarter than we think.

My son and I were at a restaurant after a live session and we were talking to a kid that we had wrestled with for years and asked him what grade he was in because we thought he was in high school. The kid told us his Jr. High grade and then told us that they held him back. We didn't say anything and left after eating. On the way home, I joking said to my son, "do you want me to hold you back?" Without hesitation he say, "No. Dad, that just seems like cheating." I just laughed and knew the kid would be alright no matter what. He gets what a lot of parents don't. It's not about the wins and the losses. It's more about the journey.
Old 03-21-17, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You mistakenly assume I condone holding a kid back for sports I do not. But if your son doesn't turn 14 in 8th grade, he is younger than the vast majority of 8th graders.I will say that for boys, it is always wise to err on the side of caution, and wait to start them in school. Socially and academically they will be much better off in the long run.
Old 03-22-17, 04:45 AM
Junior Varsity

Neverwrestled is on a distinguished road
I'm reading the post and I'm triyingto figure out from the topic of how does being any older change the weigh out process. Is it harder for a kid fifteenth or thirteen to weigh out.
Old 03-22-17, 08:20 PM
Freshman

phopl4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think 2 lbs would have been better than 1 pound. These are junior high kids after all. That being said, if you 100 lbs and have to get to 90 that's 10% body weight. But if you're 200 lbs and had to lose 10% that's 20 lbs. There are plenty kids losing even more of that. I do have an issue that my 8th grader is only 13 and wrestled someone that is almost 2 years older. As a matter of fact that 8th grader is old enough to get his permit, which is older than my 9th grader who just turned 15 in January!
Are you going to continue to whine about age when your son is a freshman in high school and has to wrestle a junior or senior? It happens all the time. Get used to it.
Old 03-23-17, 07:47 AM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwrestled View Post
I'm reading the post and I'm triyingto figure out from the topic of how does being any older change the weigh out process. Is it harder for a kid fifteenth or thirteen to weigh out.
Yes. Older kids find it harder to make weight. Start them young and you can bully them more.