Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-19-17, 02:31 PM
All Region

roughedge is on a distinguished road
OAC JH weigh outs

How did the weigh outs go. I thought they should of did weigh outs before quarters matches and not when semis and consi. semis matches are going on. Was said 1 pm weigh ins and 130 semis well I know some semis matches was on the board before 1pm and light weight kids was scrambling to the bullpen putting clothes on.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-17, 03:04 PM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
They only weighed out the placers from 1-3. Of all placers only 1 kid didn't make weight.

Their rule was no award, no podium, no parade and OAC followed it.

They should do either weigh outs Saturday or weigh ins Sunday. Waiting until just before medal rounds is stupid.
Old 03-19-17, 04:00 PM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
It's not stupid. If your son is not cutting, which you should not be doing in middle school, then your kid can weigh in/out anytime and be fine. Right?
Old 03-19-17, 04:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitSulHer View Post
It's not stupid. If your son is not cutting, which you should not be doing in middle school, then your kid can weigh in/out anytime and be fine. Right?
I agree 100% with you about cutting in JH. My son did not cut.

I am just saying they should have had it sooner so that those that may miss weight out from cutting are out of the tournament sooner rather than just placement matches.
Old 03-19-17, 04:13 PM
Freshman

Whatever44 is on a distinguished road
I don't think he is saying weigh outs are stupid, just the timing. I feel it should be before the blood round -- either first night or morning of the second day. I never saw it posted that is was only going to be the top 3. The part that is stupid is that they get to keep wrestling and knock someone else out. The whole timing thing made no sense to anyone. I think every kid was worried about weigh outs. Everyone was afraid to drink water while wrestling. Yes, I feel that part was not clear. Other than that always a nice event.
Old 03-19-17, 04:16 PM
Freshman

Crabman is on a distinguished road
I have no problem with the weigh-outs. Just do it before the quarterfinals or bloodround consis. Doing it after the top 8 is decided is stupid to me. A kid beats other kids and gets to top 8, then all of a sudden doesn't make weight, kinda screwed the kids he beat along the way that would have made weight.
Old 03-19-17, 04:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever44 View Post
I don't think he is saying weigh outs are stupid, just the timing. I feel it should be before the blood round -- either first night or morning of the second day. I never saw it posted that is was only going to be the top 3. The part that is stupid is that they get to keep wrestling and knock someone else out. The whole timing thing made no sense to anyone. I think every kid was worried about weigh outs. Everyone was afraid to drink water while wrestling. Yes, I feel that part was not clear. Other than that always a nice event.
It was all placers, I meant 1-3 pm.
Old 03-19-17, 05:49 PM
All Region

I like the weigh outs just not the time they did the weigh outs. Would loved to have it Sunday mornings before quarters. My son weighed out 90.4 during weigh outs. Yes he was afraid to drink or eat for fear of drinking or eating to much and being out. So you had a bunch of kids going all day afraid to drink or eat. Then when we were able to eat after weigh outs we had to wrestle our wrestle back matches and had to wait longer to eat. So kid went to around 2pm without eating and only sipping on drinks. Just weigh in Sunday morning and be done with it.
Old 03-19-17, 06:08 PM
All District

4TimeFunk is on a distinguished road
If any issue is with the weigh outs it should be the weigh out themselves. Kids not eating or drinking all day scared to weigh is a reality and I wasn't even there to see and I know exactly what you mean. been there my self plenty of times IN HIGH SCHOOL. This is flat out stupid. How much weight can jr high kids put on in two days anyhow? Not enough for me to see the need for weighouts period
Old 03-19-17, 06:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TimeFunk View Post
If any issue is with the weigh outs it should be the weigh out themselves. Kids not eating or drinking all day scared to weigh is a reality and I wasn't even there to see and I know exactly what you mean. been there my self plenty of times IN HIGH SCHOOL. This is flat out stupid. How much weight can jr high kids put on in two days anyhow? Not enough for me to see the need for weighouts period
No exaggeration I saw the scale each time...

My son's weight class was 108. Kid at his district stepped on the scale before awards at 118.5 in just a singlet. Put on 11 lb from Saturday night until Sunday afternoon.

Same kid this weekend on Saturday after wrestling stepped on a scale at 116, 6 more than Friday night. Kid had to make 111 Sunday at 1 pm.

He was the biggest kid in the weight class for sure and he didn't place.

Kids scared to eat or drink when there was a scale near the warm up area all weekend. My kid on his own checked his weight after each match and ate/drank accordingly. Never was afraid to eat, just didn't eat fried chicken and dipping dots. Ate fruit/salads/chicken wraps, etc

Of course he walks around at 111 so making 110/111 this weekend wasn't a big deal.
Old 03-19-17, 06:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
I like the weigh outs just not the time they did the weigh outs. Would loved to have it Sunday mornings before quarters. My son weighed out 90.4 during weigh outs. Yes he was afraid to drink or eat for fear of drinking or eating to much and being out. So you had a bunch of kids going all day afraid to drink or eat. Then when we were able to eat after weigh outs we had to wrestle our wrestle back matches and had to wait longer to eat. So kid went to around 2pm without eating and only sipping on drinks. Just weigh in Sunday morning and be done with it.
There was a scale by the practice mats all weekend. Why not check his weight and eat/drink accordingly?
Old 03-19-17, 07:21 PM
All District

My son's weight class was 108. Kid at his district stepped on the scale before awards at 118.5 in just a singlet. Put on 11 lb from Saturday night until Sunday afternoon.

Same kid this weekend on Saturday after wrestling stepped on a scale at 116, 6 more than Friday night. Kid had to make 111 Sunday at 1 pm.

He was the biggest kid in the weight class for sure and he didn't place. -jmog

(sorry sometimes my laptop get weird on me when I try to quote directly)

I see your point that is a bit extreme, but the last thing you said (not placing) reconfirms it in my mind as things of that nature seem to "sort themselves out" on the mat. I suppose when my sons old enough to hammer ill feel differently if the kids that much heavier sheessshh!!
Old 03-19-17, 08:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
There was a scale by the practice mats all weekend. Why not check his weight and eat/drink accordingly?
Because some kids get carried away and over do it. He did check weight and on check scale was around pound under all weekend. He ate Friday and Saturday night but was scared to eat and drink Sunday cause he didn't want to go over board. Imo i say do the weigh ins Sunday morning. Jmog I heard one kid didnt make weight. Just wondering if a kid was .1 over would they let him slide. through.
Old 03-19-17, 08:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
I am dealing with grand parents that don't understand weigh outs and buy him a ton of food and drinks. A couple 32 oz drinks puts him over.
Old 03-19-17, 09:03 PM
All American

Quote:
I am dealing with grand parents that don't understand weigh outs and buy him a ton of food and drinks. A couple 32 oz drinks puts him over.
32oz drink is about 1.5 lb of water, plus or minus.
Old 03-19-17, 09:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Because some kids get carried away and over do it. He did check weight and on check scale was around pound under all weekend. He ate Friday and Saturday night but was scared to eat and drink Sunday cause he didn't want to go over board. Imo i say do the weigh ins Sunday morning. Jmog I heard one kid didnt make weight. Just wondering if a kid was .1 over would they let him slide. through.
Kid was 2+ lb over. I know the kid well and won't/can't say much other than to be honest he is not a big cutter.

I know what happened with him but not my place to say. He is a great kid and his dad is a great guy. He didn't weigh out even really close.
Old 03-19-17, 09:37 PM
All District

gitsum is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure they accounted for semis to start that early. Little guys were on board and wrestling semis and some of the bigger kids had time to weigh out before semis if they wanted to. They should of held up semis or started weigh outs early. Weigh outs before blood round is best. Kid ain't going to gain 10 lbs in 2 -3 hrs and if he does he'll probably feel like garbage. Having weigh outs after that gives the opportunity to the kids not making weigh outs to take away the opportunity for higher podium placement for the kids that do make weigh outs.

This is wrestling . As long as there are weight classes there will be weight issues.

I'm sure Jude and Co will make correct changes next yr.
Old 03-20-17, 09:15 AM
Freshman

alda1113 is on a distinguished road
I think 2 lbs would have been better than 1 pound. These are junior high kids after all. That being said, if you 100 lbs and have to get to 90 that's 10% body weight. But if you're 200 lbs and had to lose 10% that's 20 lbs. There are plenty kids losing even more of that. I do have an issue that my 8th grader is only 13 and wrestled someone that is almost 2 years older. As a matter of fact that 8th grader is old enough to get his permit, which is older than my 9th grader who just turned 15 in January!
Old 03-20-17, 09:36 AM
All American

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alda1113 View Post
I do have an issue that my 8th grader is only 13 and wrestled someone that is almost 2 years older. As a matter of fact that 8th grader is old enough to get his permit
You can get a 'permit' at fourteen?!?!?! That's crazy.
Old 03-20-17, 09:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
You can get a 'permit' at fourteen?!?!?! That's crazy.
15 1/2, and there are a few 8th graders on the podiums this weekend that were 15 1/2.
Old 03-20-17, 09:45 AM
All Region

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
??if kids cant drive themselves to weigh-outs why even let them go???
Old 03-20-17, 12:05 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosh wrestling dad View Post
??if kids cant drive themselves to weigh-outs why even let them go???
Lmao
Old 03-20-17, 12:28 PM
All Ohio

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I do have an issue that my 8th grader is only 13 and wrestled someone that is almost 2 years older. As a matter of fact that 8th grader is old enough to get his permit, which is older than my 9th grader who just turned 15 in January!
You do realize that when they get to high school they will not only wrestle kids who are older, but who have several years of testosterone, and weight lifting too. If 15 is old for an 8th grader, then 14 is "normal", so 13 is young. sounds like you started your kid too early.
Old 03-20-17, 12:57 PM
All American

Quote:
I do have an issue that my 8th grader is only 13 and wrestled someone that is almost 2 years older. As a matter of fact that 8th grader is old enough to get his permit, which is older than my 9th grader who just turned 15 in January!
So part of this just isn't true?
Old 03-20-17, 01:00 PM
All District

TRGrapplersMom is on a distinguished road
OAC JH weigh outs

Quote:
15 1/2, and there are a few 8th graders on the podiums this weekend that were 15 1/2.

It was great weekend for those freshman and sophomores at Junior High State!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TRGrapplersMom; 03-20-17 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 01:02 PM
All Region

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
You do realize that when they get to high school they will not only wrestle kids who are older, but who have several years of testosterone, and weight lifting too. If 15 is old for an 8th grader, then 14 is "normal", so 13 is young. sounds like you started your kid too early.
He better sit him a few years - a "true" Sr. is 17-18-ish for the 14 year old is in for a world of hurt
Old 03-20-17, 02:02 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Testosterone starts in most boys about 13 1/2 or 4 months after their 13 th birthday. Yes there are stragglers! By 15, testosterone is in the system fully. As with junior high and high school there are different weight classes. That's why many 106 pounders are FRESHMAN! I actually have a Freshman as well and yes he's wrestled 18 year olds, but this is JUNIOR HIGH.

Last edited by alda1113; 03-20-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 02:04 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
So part of this just isn't true?
The kid who won it, his dad says he turns 16 in September! We are in March. September is 6 months from now. Thus 15 1/2!!! My freshman just turned 15 in January. My 8th grader turns 14 in May. I can get a spreadsheet and calculator but the math adds up.
Old 03-20-17, 02:23 PM
All American

Got it alda1113. So a 15.5 yr old was wrestling in a JH tourney? WOW!
Old 03-20-17, 02:23 PM
All Region

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The kid who won it, his dad says he turns 16 in September! We are in March. September is 6 months from now. Thus 15 1/2!!! My freshman just turned 15 in January. My 8th grader turns 14 in May. I can get a spreadsheet and calculator but the math adds up.
As long as he is 16 after Aug 1st he is with-in the rules.

and then it was changed to 20 years old for HS but I believe the OAC still is using that as a cut off at Aug 1st.