Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 12:31 PM
All District

4TimeFunk is on a distinguished road
Btw the best coach possible was in the room for years, he just moved to Oklahoma.
Old 03-20-17, 12:38 PM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvwrestling View Post
ProV1,

It's a known fact that tOSU mat wrestling hasn't improved, that can't be denied. I don't see points being scored from top position as well as getting off bottom. I'm not concerned about conditioning but I'm concerned that tOSU doesn't have the mentality to score as many points as possible from all positions. Snyder & Moore are scoring from neutral position regardless of who their wrestling. Other guys seem to be more selective when taking shots based on who their wrestling. I definitely can't think of anyone on the team that turns opponents on a consistent basis and that hurts too when it comes to getting bonus points. These issues need to change to compete against PSU.

These are just my opinions.
Here is the trouble I have with the whole Ryan thing. Is it fair to question an element of their program? Sure...I don't think they are the best mat wrestlers either. Let's keep in mind, that OSU has a heavy investment in freestyle and the RTC with deep connections to that style going back to Rosselli. Is it fair to say that they emphasize freestyle and that shows up in their style? Sure...ask Kollin Moore about what contributed to his rise this year and also what his weakness is.

My issue is a bunch of folks take a simple observation like mat wrestling and turn that into an indictment of his coaching. Who would you rather have when you combine all the things that matter when looking for a top coach? Recruiting, leadership, development? This is a results oriented business and I will go with hard facts. It is fine to question an element of the program, but to say that there are many better coaches and then not back it up with who and why, is pretty superficial.
Old 03-20-17, 12:48 PM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPanda View Post
Hall absolutely did not "get after it" like nolf, retherford and nickals did trying to score the whole time. This was the users point. I think even Hall thought he was going to get dinged for stalling a second time. Not taking anything away from Hall just noticed you didn't seem to understand what @lambeau fields was trying to say. He made zero excuses for the loss in his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally understood.
Hall beat two of the top guys in the tourney. I think Valencia was a 4 time Iron Man Champ and Bo was a 3 timer. Hall and Cael had a plan on how to flip the result from the B1G and they accomplished that goal. Hall went 14 minutes with two of the best guys in college wrestling. Getting after it doesn't mean taking uncalculated risks. Hall scrambled like a mad man and got two huge takedowns in the finals.
I didn't see Bo Nickal "get after it" per your description in the 3rd either.
Old 03-20-17, 01:05 PM
All Ohio

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
First and foremost, I'm a Penn State guy. I graduated from PSU, so I have a bias view at times.

That all said....

I thought it was two and two on the first takedown with Bo. I "heard" that the OSU coaches worded their challenge in a way that questioned whether Hall had two and not whether Bo had the takedown first. I wasn't involved, I wouldn't know the details... just what I heard. That call would have changed the match on both sides. Would it be a different outcome? 50/50 at best. I saw it as a good match between evenly matched opponents.

On to the coaching comments...

Are there better coaches than Tom Ryan? Probably, just like there are probably better coaches than Cael as well. Winning doesn't always equate "better" though. Penn State is winning in a huge way right now, but that doesn't mean that it's all Cael. I don't believe you could put Cael at Iowa with those type of guys and expect the same results. Different strokes for different folks. There are a lot of great coaches out there. You just can't argue with what Tom Ryan has done with Ohio State. They are a top 5 team EVERY year. Their recruiting classes are off the charts. He's doing everything right. He has QUALITY kids, both on and off the mat. It's tough to fault the results.

Last thing... in regards to their ability/style.

Has Bo "regressed" this season? He was in the NCAA finals... Crazy stuff happens at that level. But "regressed?" to the NCAA finals? Top that off with the fact that he only wrestled half the season due to injuries and I don't understand what people are talking about. Is he worse on top? I don't see it, but most wrestlers change their style as they realize the difference between high school and college.

By all measurables, Ohio State had a great year. Were there let downs? Sure... Tomasello not winning was unfortunate. But it's not like he wrestled a turd. It's not a HUGE surprise. Clark has been ranked in the top 5 forever. Myles Martin had the tournament of his life last year... he's an absolute talent, but he finished like the rest of the Buckeyes, basically right around their seeds. If Penn State didn't just have the tournament of the century, Ohio State could have been right in the mix. I'm not understanding why the crazy outburst over the finish? I'm far from a Buckeye guy, but I thought they wrestled well. You have Hayes back next year along with everyone returning. Should be a good outlook.

My only complaint is that Coach Ryan spends the year protecting seeds rather than competing to get better. He tries to get the entire state behind the Buckeyes, but won't put his team on the mat. But then again, there's a reason he's the head coach and I'm not.

Coach Root
Old 03-20-17, 01:08 PM
All District

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Hmmm...how many people commenting here are coaches versus parents? I don't mean this as an insult, everyone is free to have an opinion.

But to pick an individual wrestler as a sign that the coach stinks and ignore others is ridiculous. I had 40 kids on my team this year (34 of started wrestling with me as a coach, so I will use them as my example, not the 6 who came to me from youth)...I could point to this kid or that kid as an example of what a great coach I am because they were successful as 1st or 2nd year wrestlers.

I had one kid this year go 12 - 3 in B matches and .500 in A matches (spot starts) as a 1st year wrestler. I could point to him and say how great I am at developing a kid. But then someone could point out a kid who went 1 - 13 and use him as an example of how terrible I must be at developing talent.

All you can do is look at the big picture, the team as a whole, the program, how the kids respond and represent the university. In this regard, I think Coach Ryan does a darn good job. And he also gets the kids to peak at the right time.

How many people thought MyMar would win the title last year? Almost no one. So that would be characterized as an over-achievement in a sense, yet it is then used as proof that he under-achieved this year. Guess Gabe Dean and Isaiah Martinez regressed too. In fact, IMar did regress in terms of dominance, and I think David Taylor made a spot-on argument..."when you win for that long, winning becomes more important than dominating, you lose your focus on dominating" and he paid the price for it this year.

Does that make him human or does that mean his coach should be fired because he regressed?

For every wrestler you could argue did not make significant gains, you could point to one who did (K Moore excelled as a low level recruit, compared to the big names).

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-20-17, 01:09 PM
Junior Varsity

meluvwrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Here is the trouble I have with the whole Ryan thing. Is it fair to question an element of their program? Sure...I don't think they are the best mat wrestlers either. Let's keep in mind, that OSU has a heavy investment in freestyle and the RTC with deep connections to that style going back to Rosselli. Is it fair to say that they emphasize freestyle and that shows up in their style? Sure...ask Kollin Moore about what contributed to his rise this year and also what his weakness is.

My issue is a bunch of folks take a simple observation like mat wrestling and turn that into an indictment of his coaching. Who would you rather have when you combine all the things that matter when looking for a top coach? Recruiting, leadership, development? This is a results oriented business and I will go with hard facts. It is fine to question an element of the program, but to say that there are many better coaches and then not back it up with who and why, is pretty superficial.
I never said that Ryan wasn't a good coach or that he needs to be replaced but just maybe the focus needs to be adjusted on what is obviously an issue. Yes, it's fair to mention freestyle but the problem is that focusing on a style that isn't getting you bonus points to compete with PSU is a problem. There are 3 positions in folkstyle (neutral, top and bottom) and all 3 should be addressed equally. If one or two positions are obvious issues, then increase the percentage spent on those areas. Don't just continue doing the same thing because if you do, then finishing 2nd thru 4th will always be your ceiling.
Old 03-20-17, 01:10 PM
All District

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
One more thing, when 25% of a wrestler's competition changes every year, probably more when you consider changing weight classes, you can't compare one year's results to another year's.

I could win a national title and then the next year a Zain Retherford and David Taylor are in my weight class, whether as freshman or changing weights...does me not winning mean I regressed or that the other kids were just better?
Old 03-20-17, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvwrestling View Post
I never said that Ryan wasn't a good coach or that he needs to be replaced but just maybe the focus needs to be adjusted on what is obviously an issue. Yes, it's fair to mention freestyle but the problem is that focusing on a style that isn't getting you bonus points to compete with PSU is a problem. There are 3 positions in folkstyle (neutral, top and bottom) and all 3 should be addressed equally. If one or two positions are obvious issues, then increase the percentage spent on those areas. Don't just continue doing the same thing because if you do, then finishing 2nd thru 4th will always be your ceiling.
I understand that you do not suggest his replacement as others do, and your point is valid. My only broader point is that every program has a trademark or has some unique DNA that often shows up in their style. I tend to be more concerned with the actual results. BTW...Not certain but I think OSU had the 2nd most bonus points in the tournament this year and the overall point total would have won close to 50% of the tournaments over the last 10 years? This was an excellent tournament performance based on recent history and was only drowned and criticized based on one of the 2-3 greatest performances of all time. Gimme OSU 2017 NCAA and their B10 championship all day long.
Old 03-20-17, 01:23 PM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
First and foremost, I'm a Penn State guy. I graduated from PSU, so I have a bias view at times.

That all said....

I thought it was two and two on the first takedown with Bo. I "heard" that the OSU coaches worded their challenge in a way that questioned whether Hall had two and not whether Bo had the takedown first. I wasn't involved, I wouldn't know the details... just what I heard. That call would have changed the match on both sides. Would it be a different outcome? 50/50 at best. I saw it as a good match between evenly matched opponents.

Are there better coaches than Tom Ryan? Probably, just like there are probably better coaches than Cael as well. Winning doesn't always equate "better" though. Penn State is winning in a huge way right now, but that doesn't mean that it's all Cael. I don't believe you could put Cael at Iowa with those type of guys and expect the same results. Different strokes for different folks. There are a lot of great coaches out there. You just can't argue with what Tom Ryan has done with Ohio State. They are a top 5 team EVERY year. Their recruiting classes are off the charts. He's doing everything right. He has QUALITY kids, both on and off the mat. It's tough to fault the results.

Has Bo "regressed" this season? He was in the NCAA finals... Crazy stuff happens at that level. But "regressed?" to the NCAA finals? Top that off with the fact that he only wrestled half the season due to injuries and I don't understand what people are talking about. Is he worse on top? I don't see it, but most wrestlers change their style as they realize the difference between high school and college.

By all measurables, Ohio State had a great year. Were there let downs? Sure... Tomasello not winning was unfortunate. But it's not like he wrestled a turd. It's not a HUGE surprise. Clark has been ranked in the top 5 forever. Myles Martin had the tournament of his life last year... he's an absolute talent, but he finished like the rest of the Buckeyes, basically right around their seeds. If Penn State didn't just have the tournament of the century, Ohio State could have been right in the mix. I'm not understanding why the crazy outburst over the finish? I'm far from a Buckeye guy, but I thought they wrestled well. You have Hayes back next year along with everyone returning. Should be a good outlook.

My only complaint is that Coach Ryan spends the year protecting seeds rather than competing to get better. He tries to get the entire state behind the Buckeyes, but won't put his team on the mat. But then again, there's a reason he's the head coach and I'm not.

Coach Root
THIS!!! Couldn't agree more with every single thing you've said, Ryan. Well stated. -Shep
Old 03-20-17, 01:30 PM
All Region

kessen157
I hope Te'Shan Campbell doesn't see this thread since he is transferring to Ohio State next year.

He was Pittsburgh starting 165 and went 2-2 at NCAA
Old 03-20-17, 01:37 PM
Junior Varsity

meluvwrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
I understand that you do not suggest his replacement as others do, and your point is valid. My only broader point is that every program has a trademark or has some unique DNA that often shows up in their style. I tend to be more concerned with the actual results. BTW...Not certain but I think OSU had the 2nd most bonus points in the tournament this year and the overall point total would have won close to 50% of the tournaments over the last 10 years? This was an excellent tournament performance based on recent history and was only drowned and criticized based on one of the 2-3 greatest performances of all time. Gimme OSU 2017 NCAA and their B10 championship all day long.
When someone makes a statement like the one you made "won close to 50% of the tournaments over the last 10 years", drives me crazy. I personally don't care about results years ago, the focus needs to be what will win a championship today. What wins today is winning the bonus battle, PSU 16 vs tOSU 7 which include TF and pins. tOSU won that battle in 2015 & lost it in 2016, see the pattern here.
Old 03-20-17, 02:30 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=meluvwrestling;6732136]When someone makes a statement like the one you made "won close to 50% of the tournaments over the last 10 years", drives me crazy. I personally don't care about results years ago, the focus needs to be what will win a championship today. What wins today is winning the bonus battle, PSU 16 vs tOSU 7 which include TF and pins. tOSU won that battle in 2015 & lost it in 2016, see the pattern here.[/QU

I only reference the point total as a way to show the overall strength of their showing relative to recent history. Obviously, it was no where near good enough this year. Regarding bonus and courtesy of bdhof...OSU was 2nd to PSU bonus total by 9.5 points if I am not mistaken. Penn St won by a heck of a lot more than 9.5. The primary reason they won was 5 champs. Bonus just padded the score a bit more. If my math is correct, they would have won with 0 bonus.

Last edited by ProV1; 03-20-17 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Add.
Old 03-20-17, 05:56 PM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
I like Iowa's style of wrestling. Just like their coach, their aggressive and they wrestles 6 min non stop. You won see their heads on the mat or hands on their hips sucking air, the coach won't allow it. I 'd watch an Iowa match over OSU match any day win or lose. like their coach you bet.
Old 03-20-17, 06:15 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
(even ESPN said he took at least 1 step backward)
Unintentionally funniest post of the year!!!

ESPN's "analysis" was generally horrible. The coverage was very good (visuals, angles, breadth, etc.), but "analysis" was not strong.
Old 03-20-17, 06:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentornado View Post
Bo got beat by a smaller opponent that out wrestled him , that is not even debatable. when your begging for flash take downs where no control is evident and stall calls , that only proves the point. what you should be complaining about is why Bo did so little wrestling for the first 5 minutes of the match, and why mark hall seems to get better with every match and Bo doesnt.
with Bo's talent he would of been a 2 xer with Iowa's style of wrestling.imo
Old 03-20-17, 06:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Unintentionally funniest post of the year!!!

ESPN's "analysis" was generally horrible. The coverage was very good (visuals, angles, breadth, etc.), but "analysis" was not strong.
really? examples of what I missed.
Old 03-20-17, 06:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
really? examples of what I missed.
Are you Mailman112? Tough time keeping track of your multiple account names?
Old 03-20-17, 06:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I like Iowa's style of wrestling. Just like their coach, their aggressive and they wrestles 6 min non stop. You won see their heads on the mat or hands on their hips sucking air, the coach won't allow it. I 'd watch an Iowa match over OSU match any day win or lose. like their coach you bet.
I used to love watching Oklahoma's wishbone offense. That said, I think OSU is better off with Urban Meyer than Barry Switzer. Generally, major universities are gonna prefer substance over style. Next year will be the 4th straight year that OSU out performs Iowa.

Speaking of coaches...time will tell but Brands might not even be the best coach in Iowa anymore.
Old 03-20-17, 07:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Are you Mailman112? Tough time keeping track of your multiple account names?
multiple accounts is that legal?
Old 03-20-17, 07:28 PM
Freshman

Coach Perkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Eliews, Have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Many Hawkeye wrestlers want to tie up from neutral position, stop you from being offensive and getting your attacks off. In many cases they aren't shooting themselves and try to push you off the mat and hope for a stalling call. Would much rather watch the Oklahoma State style. Cowboy wrestlers are for more offensive, use fakes, set up, and take shots. To me this is a more exciting style brand of wrestling. For the most part I would say more Buckeye wrestlers follow the Oklahoma State mode.
Old 03-20-17, 07:36 PM
All Region

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
I think Coah Ryan is a pretty good coach. One of the best, but a tier behind Cael, Dresser, and Tim Flynn.
Old 03-20-17, 08:24 PM
All District

jujutsuguy219 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Prov we normally see eye to eye on most topics. I'm not an OSU fan (in fact don't support any particular team in college) but I do enjoy watching top notch talent succeed. Here are my points.

1. Do you agree Ryan gets the top talent just like the powerhouse teams? I do.

2. Do you believe Ryan gets the most out of his wrestlers OVERALL? I don't and I believe it shows year in and year out. Having a gas tank is one. Having wrestling improve during a 4/5 year period. Just becoming an AA isn't what I believe shows a coach doing his job. Before you all jump on me yet again, I'm not saying they have to win a national title. When you get the top talent each and every year you better have AA.

Lastly. To name other coaches is meaningless because they will not leave their current team. I believe if some of the secondary schools would have the resources those teams would contend 3 out of every 10 years. Maybe not for a title but a top 5 finish.

I understand most of you are OSU fans and have on your scarlet and gray glasses. We each can have our own thoughts and disagree. We all see things differently. OSU is a very good team. No question. My problem is I don't see the wrestlers getting better each year. OVERALL.
That Snyder kid has regressed significantly!
Old 03-20-17, 09:17 PM
All Ohio

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
This is a bit off topic but I thought I'd take a look at the "better coaches" in college...

It's hard to argue with results. In my opinion, these are the top shelf guys coaching in college. These aren't guesses, it's easy to see who is getting it done. I didn't throw too many young guys in unless they have proven themselves already.

In my opinion

Cael Sanderson - changed the game. Building a dynasty.
Brian Smith - built Mizzou and outperforms expectations every year
Rob Koll - when you start looking at scholarship, redshirting, and talent, it's hard to argue.
Kevin Dresser - built a program and is ready to start over
Tom Brands - gets every ounce out of his wrestlers
Tom Ryan - out recruits almost everyone on the market
John Smith - technical genius and recruiting guru
Tim Flynn - does it with almost nothing every year
Zeke Jones - there's a reason he was the US team coach before being asked to rebuild ASU
Pat Santoro - he has always had success while still pushing the academics.
Tim Neumann - he always gets it done with what seems like no name guys until he builds them into a household name
Pat Popoluzio - it's not often that colleges come asking high school coaches to help rebuild a program.

The next generation (X-factors) - in no particular order
Casey Cunningham - PSU assistant
Lou Roselli - Oklahoma Head
Sean Bourmet - Michigan assistant
Brandon Eggum - Minnesota Head
Chris Bono - SDSU Head
Doug Schwab - UNI Head
Cary Kolat - Campbel Head
Jeremy Spates - SIUE Head

Take a look at the link to see how the coaches did with their respective recruits...

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/18008

Coach Root

Last edited by Coach Root; 03-21-17 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 09:22 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
I like Coach Tom Borrelli at CMU. Actually wanted him over Tom Ryan back in the day. Like what he's done and is doing at CMU.

ps: Neumann, correct??
Old 03-21-17, 05:42 AM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
If Iowa would wrestle 7 min instead of only 6 they might have a shot at PSU and the Buckeyes
Old 03-21-17, 06:18 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post

That all said....

Coach Root
Well said Coach Root, I could not have said it any better. The only thing I might change is, " I AM a Buckeye fan" HA HA
Old 03-22-17, 07:07 AM
Varsity

actionddj is on a distinguished road
Being a wrestling athlete, coach and fan for 35 years I've seen some of the best the sport has to offer. The one thing they all had in common is they dominated the circle. Unfortunately Bo Jordan didn't dominate. If he had, he would have been the Champ. Its easy to blame the officials, I've done my share in the past, but rarely do you see a guy totally dominate a match and lose. Not that a guy cant get caught because it happens. The Penn State wrestlers forced their wills on their opponents in a dominant fashion, thus they were on the top of the podium.
Old 03-22-17, 07:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionddj View Post
Being a wrestling athlete, coach and fan for 35 years I've seen some of the best the sport has to offer.
OK, so you're an "expert".

Quote:
The one thing they all had in common is they dominated the circle. Unfortunately Bo Jordan didn't dominate. If he had, he would have been the Champ. .
Did Hall "dominate the circle"? He's "the champ", so applying your [*cough*] 'logic', he must have dominated the circle. I saw no evidence of that and I've watched the match 3 times....
Old 03-22-17, 09:41 AM
Junior Varsity

Myrmidon is on a distinguished road
What happened to dont leave it up to the refs ? GUESS THAT ONLY APPLIES WHEN YOUR GUY GETS THE CALL OR A GRAHAM KID IS GETTING MATCHES HANDED TO THEM BY THE REF.
Old 03-22-17, 10:45 AM
All Ohio

goldentornado is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Being a wrestling athlete, coach and fan for 35 years I've seen some of the best the sport has to offer. The one thing they all had in common is they dominated the circle. Unfortunately Bo Jordan didn't dominate. If he had, he would have been the Champ. Its easy to blame the officials, I've done my share in the past, but rarely do you see a guy totally dominate a match and lose. Not that a guy cant get caught because it happens. The Penn State wrestlers forced their wills on their opponents in a dominant fashion, thus they were on the top of the podium.
well said