Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-17-17, 11:32 AM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Is The NCAA Tournament Field Too Large?

Should the tourney go back to 48 or 32 teams?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-17, 12:05 PM
Cooling Off

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
No, I think it's great the way it is.
Old 03-17-17, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Nope. Glad we settled this.
Old 03-17-17, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
No, it's the greatest and most well-run sporting event of the year and should be left alone.
Old 03-17-17, 12:38 PM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
I would just go back to the 64 teams and skip the play in games
Old 03-17-17, 07:27 PM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
Instead of future expansion and the stupid play in "first four"

Why not just eliminate one of the 4 brackets, expand the NIT, and have the NIT be the mid-major bracket and winner of the NIT is the 4th of the final 4.

If you say $$$ I disagree... I could market and sell the sh*t out of that.
Old 03-17-17, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spize View Post

Why not just eliminate one of the 4 brackets, expand the NIT, and have the NIT be the mid-major bracket and winner of the NIT is the 4th of the final 4.

Because the tournament is perfect the way it is

I'm confused why anyone would want to change anything about it tbh. If you don't like the tourney now then you must not like college basketball. The tournament is always exciting, very well attended by fans and every single game is available on television and internet for free. So yeah, let's make major changes
Old 03-17-17, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spize View Post

Sounds like a stupid idea.
Old 03-17-17, 08:11 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Wait how can I view for free on the Internet
Old 03-17-17, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Wait how can I view for free on the Internet
Not sure if serious, but they've had this for like six yearshttp://www.cbssports.com/

All radio broadcasts are available from Westwood One I think
Old 03-17-17, 08:18 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Old 03-17-17, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

You never know man
Old 03-17-17, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

I use the NCAA March Madness app.
Old 03-18-17, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
I could live with scaling it back to 64, and getting rid of the First Four, but other than that...leave it alone. And I'm fine if they keep it as it is now, but I definitely would not expand it past 68.
Old 03-18-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
March Madness is amazing, but the regular season is kind of pointless for the most part. I don't think they should change anything though other than getting rid of the first four play-in
Old 03-19-17, 10:46 PM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Leave it alone. Great tourney with little debate about who is or isn't in the field.
Old 03-20-17, 11:20 AM
All Ohio

sodbuster is on a distinguished road
The only change that is needed is more competent officiating. It stinks so bad. But I guess $ rules the tournament. So it won't change.
Old 03-20-17, 11:53 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
The set up in the NCAA tournament is fantastic. I don't think there is anyone that can complain about who gets in, who doesn't. The mid majors have their way of getting into the tournament. I do think it's difficult to for a mid major to really have a legitimate chance of winning the entire tournament. Yes, they could win a game, or even get to the sweet 16, but to actually win the tournament is a pipe dream.

I don't think you'll ever see the teams go back. That's television revenue and simply won't happen.
Old 03-20-17, 12:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
The only change that is needed is more competent officiating. It stinks so bad. But I guess $ rules the tournament. So it won't change.
Ok, sod, I'll bite. Please tell me how you get better officiating? The guys that do the games now are the best officials in college basketball today, they get paid alot of money. So who's going to do it better??

Now please don't take this as an attack, I throw it out in general because it's what I hear alot about sports, officiating is bad, etc.

We've evolved, especially in basketball, where we don't want officials to call the game as it was intended. We tend to watch games and assess our opinion based on who we are rooting for. How many times to we get mad at officials for calling it too tight when our team is on defense, and too lose when our team is on offense?

My opinion on officials is this...you have 40 minutes in college basketball to win/ lose a game. You have 5 fouls per player. There are dozens and dozens of judgement calls made by officials throughout a game. You are going to get some and some are going against you, they generally balance themselves out.
Old 03-20-17, 12:43 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I would get rid of the play-in games. I just don't care for those games and they don't really add anything to the overall quality of the tournament.
Old 03-20-17, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I would get rid of the play-in games. I just don't care for those games and they don't really add anything to the overall quality of the tournament.
Since they added the play-in games to round the field out at 68, a team that has played in Dayton and won has also at least won a Round of 64 game, so from that standpoint they matter a little.

I'd like to see them do away with the 16-seed play-in games though. Make them all at-large teams on the 11-12-13 line.
Old 03-20-17, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Leave it be for no other reason than it brings $4-5 million to Dayton - a town that could use the money.
Old 03-20-17, 08:28 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Ok, sod, I'll bite. Please tell me how you get better officiating? The guys that do the games now are the best officials in college basketball today, they get paid alot of money. So who's going to do it better??

Now please don't take this as an attack, I throw it out in general because it's what I hear alot about sports, officiating is bad, etc.

We've evolved, especially in basketball, where we don't want officials to call the game as it was intended. We tend to watch games and assess our opinion based on who we are rooting for. How many times to we get mad at officials for calling it too tight when our team is on defense, and too lose when our team is on offense?

My opinion on officials is this...you have 40 minutes in college basketball to win/ lose a game. You have 5 fouls per player. There are dozens and dozens of judgement calls made by officials throughout a game. You are going to get some and some are going against you, they generally balance themselves out.
Good point. Given the amount of contact in today's game, the refs have to make some tough judgement calls. Otherwise, both starting squads would be on the bench by halftime. (Certain amount of hyperbole there).
Old 03-21-17, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

Jhubbs77 is on a distinguished road
The amount of teams is fine. I'd like to see the auto bids in small conferences go to the regular season champ but that won't happen. I did like Garry Parrish's idea of at least giving them a bye to the final
Old 03-21-17, 07:06 PM
All Ohio

sodbuster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post

Ask Northwestern, A player sticks his up through the rim to block a dunk and nothing is called? Maybe some officials would be better if they would just look, BTW, there are 3 of them.
Old 03-22-17, 04:30 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 View Post
The amount of teams is fine. I'd like to see the auto bids in small conferences go to the regular season champ but that won't happen. I did like Garry Parrish's idea of at least giving them a bye to the final
That change would be perfect. I always hate it when the regular season champ of one of the one-bid conferences has a bad game and loses in their conference tourney -- negating almost the efforts made over the entire season.

At least giving them a bye into the final would make the regular season meaningful. Then -- should they lose in the final -- they could only blame themselves for blowing their great opportunity.
Old 03-28-17, 05:49 AM
All Region

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Regards the Northwestern non call. Maybe there could be something similar to football where the coach gets so many challenges during the game for review of plays.
Old 03-28-17, 06:13 AM
Cooling Off

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Or just have someone on the sideline whose sole job is to monitor close calls the entire game. I can't stand the constant trips to the monitors by the refs. Completely ruins the flow of games.
Old 03-28-17, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Or just have someone on the sideline whose sole job is to monitor close calls the entire game. I can't stand the constant trips to the monitors by the refs. Completely ruins the flow of games.
There's an extra referee sitting at the scorers table with a monitor in front of him. He can watch a quick replay and make a call for them on the fly. It really wouldn't be that tough and if it was then you can call over the other guys to help.
Old 03-28-17, 01:20 PM
All American

I think the tournament is about right. It covers 3 weekends, it provides an opportunity for mid majors to get in, and you have some major conference teams who can get hot and get in.