Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-18-17, 07:02 AM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 14,125
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I never read the comic book Ghost was based on but I did see the anime (cartoon) and while taking place in "Asia" and involving an "Asian" character this was not a uniquely "Asian" or Japanese story. It has a much broader concept.

Now if the source material of a movie was an historical biography about a Japanese women living during the Shogunate period than I would agree with you. But it isn't. The source material is a dystopian science fiction comic book story that was made into a cartoon.

But I just don't get this obsession with the race of the actor. Are you saying that if the source material depicts a character as "white" they can NEVER be played by a person of color? Or if the source material says the character is a man they can never be played by a women (see the two "Starbucks" in the 1979 and more recent Battlestar Galactica series).

So which is more important on the "left": cultural appropriation or racism? It can't be both.
This is amazing given your reaction to the ghost busters remake involving a female cast.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-18-17, 07:13 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
This is amazing given your reaction to the ghost busters remake involving a female cast.
Not so amazing if you understand that the Ghost Busters remake was a marketing pitch in which the all male cast was replaced with an all female cast to generate "buzz" in what otherwise would have been a ho hum effort. It was a stunt and the stunt is what I was critical of. Purely petty PC IMHO.

So yea I thought that it sucked that a "classic" comedy was remade to push an agenda. Now if the new Ghost Busters film had replaced say the Bill Murry or Dan Akroyd character with a women I would have thought no big deal especially if the lady could act the part. That's the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-18-17, 07:15 AM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,532
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Two key observations itt:

1. Ep and bjf caring way too much about who's playing the main character.

2. Lotr throwing a fit in the Wonder Woman thread about women beating up men in movies, implying a conspiracy in Hollywood about pushing an agenda down our throats, and then having seemingly no problem with this film, and is even super excited about it. How do you pick and choose what to get angry about lotr?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-18-17, 07:24 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Two key observations itt:

1. Ep and bjf caring way too much about who's playing the main character.

2. Lotr throwing a fit in the Wonder Woman thread about women beating up men in movies, implying a conspiracy in Hollywood about pushing an agenda down our throats, and then having seemingly no problem with this film, and is even super excited about it.
How do you pick and choose what to get angry about lotr?
It's easy to be angry at one thing and love another when they are two entirely different things.

Look the depiction of women beating up men in action movies IMO is part of a not so subtle effort to blur the differences between men & women. This has been an ongoing left wing effort for the last 50 years because in their view a move towards androgyny is a move up the evolutionary ladder leading to a progressive paradise. I oppose this.

Ghost on the other hand is a brilliant story and one of my favorite movies. The lead women characters martial prowess is explained in the story. To avoid giving out any "spoilers" I don't want to say anymore. Bottom line is that "Ghost" is definitely NOT pushing a feminist progressive message.

Oh and for the record I wasn't "throwing a fit" about Wonder Women per say I was commenting on the wider phenomena of women beating up men in Movies & TV shows. I even said WW was old school and I have no problem with that specific movie.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-18-17, 07:28 AM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 14,125
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Not so amazing if you understand that the Ghost Busters remake was a marketing pitch in which the all male cast was replaced with an all female cast to generate "buzz" in what otherwise would have been a ho hum effort. It was a stunt and the stunt is what I was critical of. Purely petty PC IMHO.

So yea I thought that it sucked that a "classic" comedy was remade to push an agenda. Now if the new Ghost Busters film had replaced say the Bill Murry or Dan Akroyd character with a women I would have thought no big deal especially if the lady could act the part. That's the difference.
You're literally arguing two different points. One being correct, that the all female cast was a marketing pitch and done to try to generate "buzz" and therefore money. The other that this was a "PC" move done to push an "agenda." It's amazing that even when you seemingly know what's going on, you can't help but revert back to your "everything is a PC SJW conspiracy" mindset.

And for the record, the remake didn't change the original film in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-18-17, 07:34 AM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 14,125
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
It's easy to be angry at one thing and love another when they are two entirely different things.

Look the depiction of women beating up men in action movies IMO is part of a not so subtle effort to blur the differences between men & women. This has been an ongoing left wing effort for the last 50 years because in their view a move towards androgyny is a move up the evolutionary ladder leading to a progressive paradise. I oppose this.
It's 50 years now...I thought this was a new thing according to you?

Quote:
Ghost on the other hand is a brilliant story and one of my favorite movies. The lead women characters martial prowess is explained in the story. To avoid giving out any "spoilers" I don't want to say anymore. Bottom line is that "Ghost" is definitely NOT pushing a feminist progressive message.

Oh and for the record I wasn't "throwing a fit" about Wonder Women per say I was commenting on the wider phenomena of women beating up men in Movies & TV shows. I even said WW was old school and I have no problem with that specific movie.
You realize that in pretty much every movie where a woman can kick butt, there's an explanation as to why that's the case.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-18-17, 07:44 AM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,532
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
It's easy to be angry at one thing and love another when they are two entirely different things.

Look the depiction of women beating up men in action movies IMO is part of a not so subtle effort to blur the differences between men & women.
A not so subtle effort would imply that it is widespread. What percentage of movies push this agenda and how many have there been in the last few years?

Also, what specifically makes this Ghost movie different than other movies where women beat men up?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-18-17, 07:55 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,513
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Two key observations itt:

1. Ep and bjf caring way too much about who's playing the main character.

2. Lotr throwing a fit in the Wonder Woman thread about women beating up men in movies, implying a conspiracy in Hollywood about pushing an agenda down our throats, and then having seemingly no problem with this film, and is even super excited about it. How do you pick and choose what to get angry about lotr?
I wouldn't say I care too much as this is a movie I will never see (okay, nvm, I obviously care too much after reading that again); anyway just willing to acknowledge the main character is Asian and an Asian wasn't cast....that's going to get deserved criticism in my opinion.

Last edited by eastside_purple; 03-18-17 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-18-17, 07:58 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,513
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
This is amazing given your reaction to the ghost busters remake involving a female cast.
Exactly. It's pretty obvious he's an white guy who only gets provoked by issues that affect other white men. The all-female GB cast was a campy take on the original.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-18-17, 08:40 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 1,400
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Anima
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-18-17, 10:12 AM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 3,847
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I never read the comic book Ghost was based on but I did see the anime (cartoon) and while taking place in "Asia" and involving an "Asian" character this was not a uniquely "Asian" or Japanese story. It has a much broader concept.

Now if the source material of a movie was an historical biography about a Japanese women living during the Shogunate period than I would agree with you. But it isn't. The source material is a dystopian science fiction comic book story that was made into a cartoon.

But I just don't get this obsession with the race of the actor. Are you saying that if the source material depicts a character as "white" they can NEVER be played by a person of color? Or if the source material says the character is a man they can never be played by a women (see the two "Starbucks" in the 1979 and more recent Battlestar Galactica series).

So which is more important on the "left": cultural appropriation or racism? It can't be both.
So you think this character from Japan named Motoko Kusanagi is...white?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-18-17, 10:43 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,513
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I think it's funny that lotr keeps trying to make this a political issue. The original character is Asian, therefore it's surprising they didn't bother to cast an Asian in the role. The only one throwing around comments like "cultural appropriation" and "racism" and talking about the "left" bogeymen in political terms on here is Lotr. Get a f'n grip man.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-18-17, 02:24 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I think it's funny that lotr keeps trying to make this a political issue. The original character is Asian, therefore it's surprising they didn't bother to cast an Asian in the role. The only one throwing around comments like "cultural appropriation" and "racism" and talking about the "left" bogeymen in political terms on here is Lotr. Get a f'n grip man.
Again with the obsession on the race of the character. It's an American production so they cast the most bankable star they could afford and who could also nail the performance. The fact that the comic book & cartoon feature a Japanese character doesn't mean an American production can't feature a white actress in the role.

BTW, I'm not the one who made an issue out of who was playing the main character. You guys are the ones concerned that Johanson's race precludes her from playing the part. To me that's pretty political.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-18-17, 02:26 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Anima
Just call it a cartoon.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-18-17, 02:33 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
It's 50 years now...I thought this was a new thing according to you?



You realize that in pretty much every movie where a woman can kick butt, there's an explanation as to why that's the case.
The "newish" thing is the in your face way women characters are beating up men. The effort to blur the sex distinction goes back further to about 50 years or so. My sense is that in the 1980's the utter ridiculousness of a 100 pound women beating up a 220 pound man would have been laughed out of the theater.

As for explanations, they need to make sense to me. If the explanation is that the women is a cyborg or android or has been physiologically altered then it makes sense. if the women possesses supernatural powers than it makes sense. But if the explanation involves extensive training & practice then I call BS as that may allow a women to beat up an out of shape older guy who is drunk at a bar it won't ever enable her to beat up a competent male fighter who outweighs the women by 100 pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-18-17, 02:44 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,513
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Why don't you just admit you took a hypocritical stance on the depiction of women as azz kickers of men, based on if you like the move or not for christsakes?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-18-17, 03:14 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 1,602
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
lotr and BJ both liking anime makes so much sense.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-18-17, 03:58 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 3,847
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Only 1 person in this thread likes Anime and it isn't me. Try harder.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-18-17, 09:12 PM
Yellow_Jacket06 Yellow_Jacket06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: The Hive
Posts: 29,711
Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
an Asian woman?
The Major isn't Asian in appearance though. In the manga she favored western bodies. It wouldn't make sense for the actress to be Asian. She may have the name and 'past life' of a Japanese woman but has never appeared Asian in any of the anime adaptations nor original source material.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-19-17, 08:39 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
The Major isn't Asian in appearance though. In the manga she favored western bodies. It wouldn't make sense for the actress to be Asian. She may have the name and 'past life' of a Japanese woman but has never appeared Asian in any of the anime adaptations nor original source material.
As an aside, in a lot of anime (cartoons for you Arrogate) the racial identify of the character is blurred. At least for me. I suspect that this is intentional to expand the potential market for the work?

BTW, one of the weirdest anime series I've ever seen that I mistakenly left off my list is Attack on Titan:




Say what you will about anime but you can't deny it's wildly imaginative!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-19-17, 10:02 AM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 4,897
zeeman is on a distinguished road
at BJF auditioning​ for clonedom. Gonna let him in Princess?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-19-17, 02:37 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 3,847
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
I'm betting Lotr wants a white woman to play Mulan too
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-19-17, 02:48 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,514
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Never saw that movie.

My top 3 anime are:

Akira
The Princes Mononoke
Ghost in the Shell

After that and in no particular order, my favorite anime movies/series are:

Spirited Away
Grave of the Fire Flies
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaa - Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Tokyo Godfathers
Cowboy Bebop
Howl's Moving Castle
Neo Tokyo
I love Spirited Away. Definitely my favorite. Have not seen this one, or Akira
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-19-17, 02:52 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,514
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I know, I had to look it up. So surprising lotr and bjf are anime super fans.
You guys are missing out if you've never seen a Miyazaki film
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-19-17, 03:47 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I love Spirited Away. Definitely my favorite. Have not seen this one, or Akira
MB, check out Akira ASAP. Awesome movie.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-19-17, 03:51 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
I'm betting Lotr wants a white woman to play Mulan too
....or a black women or a pacific islander women or a native American women or an Hispanic women or an "other" women. Your obsession with the politically correct approach of selecting actors based on some kind of racial spoils system is quite telling.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-19-17, 03:52 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
You guys are missing out if you've never seen a Miyazaki film
Yes they are.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-19-17, 04:54 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 3,847
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
....or a black women or a pacific islander women or a native American women or an Hispanic women or an "other" women. Your obsession with the politically correct approach of selecting actors based on some kind of racial spoils system is quite telling.
A Chinese woman joins the Chinese Army. That's literally the main plot
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-19-17, 05:02 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,532
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Why does it bother you so much?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-19-17, 05:04 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 1,602
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
What does everyone think of the rumors the next James Bond will be a Negro?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too Hot to Handle? Ghost Pepper Leads to Torn Esophagus Yappi General Board 2 10-19-16 07:32 PM
The Walking Dead Season 7 Trailer Spille General Board 8 08-01-16 07:42 AM
Ghostbusters Trailer (Out July 15th) Yappi General Board 14 05-04-16 04:34 PM
Trailer for Season 3: "Orange Is The New Black" returns June 12th Yappi General Board 0 04-09-15 02:13 PM
Foxcatcher Trailer #4 JasonRoush Wrestling 12 11-18-14 10:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz