Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-16-17, 04:50 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Are any good deeds done for the sole purpose of the good deed?

These Religious threads force me to ask this.

Being Catholic, in a Philosophy class, I had a Priest teach me that no one does anything for the sole purpose of being good. In other words, people who donate money do so because they like the feeling and/or believe others are watching (even God). Same goes for holding the door for someone, pulling over to help with a flat tire, etc...

In the end, these acts are all done selfishly.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-17, 05:31 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post

Being Catholic, in a Philosophy class, I had a Priest teach me that no one does anything for the sole purpose of being good. In other words, people who donate money do so because they like the feeling and/or believe others are watching (even God). Same goes for holding the door for someone, pulling over to help with a flat tire, etc...

What about a soldier who sacrifices for the good of his country, and gets much less in return than remaining in civilian life would bring him?

On the other hand, in general, how do you do something intentionally that you believe is good without enjoying the feeling of satisfaction brought on by intentionally putting effort into a good Act? I would agree the times are seldom, but believe there are such noble individuals that sacrifice with no positive thing in return. I am not one of them.
Old 03-16-17, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I think about altruism often. I'm not sure it truly exists, but then again I'm not sure that it even matters. A good deed is a good deed.
Old 03-16-17, 08:29 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
We are here. I voluntarily worked at an adoption agency for three months with no pre-conceived motive. Did it make me feel good to do it? Of course, but that was an effect, not a cause. I have also done good samaritan deeds simply because it was the right thing to do. Today, of course, it pays to be judicial when helping others. Too bad.
Old 03-16-17, 08:37 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
What a cynical way to look at others. I feel bad for that priest.
Old 03-16-17, 08:45 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Not sure if it relates 100% to the OP, but I think it's close. Great film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnif...ion_(1954_film)
Old 03-16-17, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I think about altruism often. I'm not sure it truly exists, but then again I'm not sure that it even matters. A good deed is a good deed.
If one practices random acts of kindness anonymously, I think that that is as near as one can get to genuine altruism.
Old 03-17-17, 05:18 AM
All World

Close I guess but people still do it ultimately make themselves feel better and in many cases believe a higher power is watching.
Old 03-17-17, 05:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
What a cynical way to look at others. I feel bad for that priest.
One of the best priests and teachers I ever knew. He truly cared, and taught young men to question everything including their God and religion.
Old 03-17-17, 05:29 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Close I guess but people still do it ultimately make themselves feel better and in many cases believe a higher power is watching.
A Christian should be doing good out of a sense of gratitude towards God, since they know that they cannot "earn" salvation.

It is gratifying to see a happy sort of bewilderment when someone thinks they are just the beneficiary of dumb luck, and know you caused it.
Old 03-17-17, 06:32 AM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:

That simply is false. So did he teach you not to help anyone in need because if you did, it would be considered vanity.
Old 03-17-17, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Everything i post on Yappi is for all of you to enjoy.
Old 03-17-17, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Me too. I don't know if it exists in true mathematical-worthy form, but I don't believe everyone does things selfishly. Sometimes, feeling good is a byproduct of doing good things, and I don't think we should be ashamed of that
Old 03-17-17, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
One of the best priests and teachers I ever knew. He truly cared, and taught young men to question everything including their God and religion.
He sounds like a great guy. So is the take away that it doesn't matter if you do a good deed as it's just another sin of vanity and selfishness?
Old 03-17-17, 07:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
That simply is false. So did he teach you not to help anyone in need because if you did, it would be considered vanity.
Ha, exactly! He basically taught them that their good deeds were actually a sin.
Old 03-17-17, 08:38 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Ha, exactly! He basically taught them that their good deeds were actually a sin.
This God guy sounds like a champ the more I really think about it.

We are all gods kids...not really just Jesus. So you're .
Help others in need, but remember vanity is a sin and helping others is done for selfish reasons. Good luck.
God created you he knows what you are going to do before you do it. Why not just skip all the Bs life and create people to damn to hell or send to heaven.
There are like 10 different Gods...choose wisely.
Can't eat pork, wait never mind God screws up but fixes it, then claims I
am never wrong.
Old 03-17-17, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Help others in need, but remember vanity is a sin and helping others is done for selfish reasons. Good luck.
God created you he knows what you are going to do before you do it. Why not just skip all the Bs life and create people to damn to hell or send to heaven.
am never wrong.
At least Slidebi has it all figured out.
Old 03-17-17, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Clare Luce Boothe...

"No good deed goes unpunished."

And she also said...

"In the final analysis there is no other solution to man's progress but the day's honest
work, the day's honest decision, the day's generous utterances, and the day's good deed."

:>---

B.S.A. Slogan ~ Do a good turn daily.
Old 03-17-17, 10:14 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
To answer the OP, no, I don't think all good deeds are done selfishly.

I know I don't do them to feel better about myself or some other reason, I do it because it feels right. Some may say that is the same thing, but I disagree.
Old 03-17-17, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Everything i post on Yappi is for all of you to enjoy.
Thank you!

I thanked you because it made me feel good.
Old 03-17-17, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
He sounds like a great guy. So is the take away that it doesn't matter if you do a good deed as it's just another sin of vanity and selfishness?

I think the take-away is don't be a clone. Learn, think, learn, be willing to modify.
Old 03-17-17, 10:37 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Being Catholic, in a Philosophy class, I had a Priest teach me that no one does anything for the sole purpose of being good...........

This is actually a false dilemma, because it's saying that you have to have zero feeling, zero emotion, zero thoughts - before, during, and after the deed - and, nobody can see you do it or know that you did it! In other words, you have to be an invisible un-sentient machine in order to "do good".

With all due respect to the priest, that is an extremely cynical and un-Biblical way of looking at the subject. It's tantamount to calling a man a john if he wants to satisfy his desire for sex, companionship, and children by courting and marrying a woman. The priest would say that he paid for those desires by giving up his time, money, and sacrificing other things that all married men do for the good of the relationship.

According to that priest, the fact that the "john" has a long and successful marriage, is a faithful and loving husband, and a good father would mean nothing - in the end, all of it was done selfishly on the man's part.

As long as we are not satisfying those desires to the exclusion of our responsibilities and our fellow human beings, there is nothing selfish about that. God created us with those desires, and he provided appropriate means to satisfy them and not be selfish.

Last edited by Zunardo; 03-17-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 01:05 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

am never wrong.
I think you are ready for the seminary.

We are all children of God if we have been adopted by Him.

The Bible makes it clear Jesus was His only begotten Son. Did not look the passage up but somewhere it mentions we are sons of God if we are heirs to the kingdom.So as heirs to the kingdom, we become joint heirs with Jesus, making us all brothers and sisters in Christ. I think that is where the term brother and sister come from in Christianity. It is the common bond of being sons of God.

I do like your questions, they are the same ones my mother in law raises to me whenever she gets to feeling like nagging my faith at a family gathering. All done in good fun, but for some reason I always feel compelled to patiently give a serious response to her points.

Romans 8:7 and Galatians 4:7 both speak to being sons of God.
Old 03-17-17, 01:23 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:

am never wrong.
Gods kids are different from the Holy Trinity

That "no good deed" bs was some f'd up molester priest that Irish knew.. not God

That's called "free will". Just like you want somebody to love you... making them isn't the same

There's only one God, read up on the Tower of Babalon

Read up on the pork thing too, and you'll see why that changed

I don't have it all figured out EP. But I'm not telling my kids Jesus was only a man and just be nice to people.
Old 03-17-17, 01:41 PM
All World

You can call it BS but it is true.

I will still perform good deeds for several reasons. One being to treat others as I want to be treated but at the end of the day everyone does something for gain in some shape or another.

As Christians it is extremely tough to admit, so I get the pushback. I've thought about this since being taught it 20 some years ago.

And I also believe everyone can be saved, no matter their evil deeds, in seeking penance and forgiveness from God.
Old 03-17-17, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You can call it BS but it is true.

I will still perform good deeds for several reasons. One being to treat others as I want to be treated but at the end of the day everyone does something for gain in some shape or another.

As Christians it is extremely tough to admit, so I get the pushback. I've thought about this since being taught it 20 some years ago.

And I also believe everyone can be saved, no matter their evil deeds, in seeking penance and forgiveness from God.
A college professor presented this argument to me 17 years ago, and I too have thought about it ever since. It's one of a handful of lessons that have stuck with me.
Old 03-17-17, 03:45 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
I think you are ready for the seminary.

We are all children of God if we have been adopted by Him.

The Bible makes it clear Jesus was His only begotten Son. Did not look the passage up but somewhere it mentions we are sons of God if we are heirs to the kingdom.So as heirs to the kingdom, we become joint heirs with Jesus, making us all brothers and sisters in Christ. I think that is where the term brother and sister come from in Christianity. It is the common bond of being sons of God.

I do like your questions, they are the same ones my mother in law raises to me whenever she gets to feeling like nagging my faith at a family gathering. All done in good fun, but for some reason I always feel compelled to patiently give a serious response to her points.

Romans 8:7 and Galatians 4:7 both speak to being sons of God.

Yes just good fun, I had my fair share of catholic teaching. Good friends and family members are still followers. I get it, it's important to them and they understand it isn't high on my list. It works for us.
Old 03-17-17, 05:04 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
So when somebody does something good for me I don't have to thank them... because the root of it was their own self centered motives? Do away with gratitude and replace it with bitterness? Sounds awesome.
Old 03-17-17, 05:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
So when somebody does something good for me I don't have to thank them... because the root of it was their own self centered motives? Do away with gratitude and replace it with bitterness? Sounds awesome.
Maybe you shouldn't have gotten all weepy when your selfish kid offered to loan you a few bucks since times are tight for you.
Old 03-17-17, 05:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Yes just good fun, I had my fair share of catholic teaching. Good friends and family members are still followers. I get it, it's important to them and they understand it isn't high on my list. It works for us.
I was spoon fed the Catholic Religion for 18 straight years of my life. With that said I have not willingly set foot in a Catholic church in years. Today I believe in a higher power and retain much of what I learned. I was lucky enough to have been taught by a couple of priests who deeply cared and provoked thought.

It is one thing to preach. It is another to help folks find their path without being TOLD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: