Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: West Salem Northwestern (21-5) vs Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph (20-6)
West Salem Northwestern (21-5) 2 11.76%
Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph (20-6) 15 88.24%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-17, 08:17 AM
Freshman

High-school BB fan is on a distinguished road
It should be noted, i usually don't stick up for Private City Schools, because i'm from the country.

But Cleveland isnt the only area with a D3 School that draws from an Urban pool.

There are plenty of big cities in Ohio with D3 Schools. Maybe NEO just has better BB Players. IE Lebron James etc.

Maybe im wrong, just a thought.
Old 03-20-17, 08:49 AM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
More Fake News from a so called "reporter" -http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/northern_wayne/sports/northwestern_sports/huskies-all-class-win-or-lose/article_7e1cad20-2784-50ba-8834-582de7305bb1.html

I do want to acknowledge that the Northwestern team were quality classy young men. In regards to the student sections, for the record, the Husky student section started the "spoiled rich kid" chant first, which is odd considering many of our kids get free and reduced lunches. Our kids simply responded to that taunt. ‎ Both of the student sections had fun, flexing and chanting, that is what student sections do.

The second article is much more objective especially when even Koch himself admits his AAU background made him aware of how intense the pressure would be. By implication, Koch is saying his teamates don't play AAU. I am not a fan of AAU but if one teams players play basketball year round and another team doesn't, then basketball skills could be different, no? And also for the record, VASJ didn't have a height advantage here, the difference in the teams was shorter kids with speed. http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/nor...8bb9d3e8a.html

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 03-20-17 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
More Fake News from a so called "reporter" -http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/northern_wayne/sports/northwestern_sports/huskies-all-class-win-or-lose/article_7e1cad20-2784-50ba-8834-582de7305bb1.html

I do want to acknowledge that the Northwestern team were quality classy young men. In regards to the student sections, for the record, the Husky student section started the "spoiled rich kid" chant first, which is odd considering many of our kids get free and reduced lunches. Our kids simply responded to that taunt. ‎ Both of the student sections had fun, flexing and chanting, that is what student sections do.

The second article is much more objective especially when even Koch himself admits his AAU background made him aware of how intense the pressure would be. By implication, Koch is saying his teamates don't play AAU. I am not a fan of AAU but if one teams players play basketball year round and another team doesn't, then basketball skills could be different, no? And also for the record, VASJ didn't have a height advantage here, the difference in the teams was shorter kids with speed. http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/nor...8bb9d3e8a.html
A better link to the column: http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/nor...de7305bb1.html

“Spoiled rich kids” lobbed at the VASJ students? Did I miss something, when did VASJ become Gilmour or US?

This should be required reading for those that want to better understand the bitterness that lead Wayne County to be ground zero in the anti-catholic er competitive balance debate. This column should have been under the Op-Ed bi-line too as it was filled with mostly snide opinion rather than a true fact based report of the game. Quotes like, "One group is from a Christian school. The other is from a school full of Christians." are classic Wayne County bitterness when they lose to any school that doesn't look like them. Wayne County should just be shunned and let them create their own sports organization; leave the rest of the state alone.
Old 03-20-17, 09:56 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
A better link to the column: http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/nor...de7305bb1.html

“Spoiled rich kids” lobbed at the VASJ students? Did I miss something, when did VASJ become Gilmour or US?

This should be required reading for those that want to better understand the bitterness that lead Wayne County to be ground zero in the anti-catholic er competitive balance debate. This column should have been under the Op-Ed bi-line too as it was filled with mostly snide opinion rather than a true fact based report of the game. Quotes like, "One group is from a Christian school. The other is from a school full of Christians." are classic Wayne County bitterness when they lose to any school that doesn't look like them. Wayne County should just be shunned and let them create their own sports organization; leave the rest of the state alone.
To build yourself up, you do not have to tear someone else down. That article by Todd Stumpf is an example of the worst form of journalism. Why bother to educate yourself on the facts when you can simply regurgitate half truths and innuendo? Maybe its because Stumpf doesn't care what the truth is. Once you have already reached your conclusion, why bother to ask questions? The newspaper should be embarrassed to have a close-minded article like this appear under its banner.
Old 03-20-17, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Wow...pretty ugly stuff.

I didn't attend the game, but the fan "back and forth" sounds like typical high school. Very interesting that the author gives a nod of approval to the bigoted "Catholic" comment while feeling outraged by the farmer put-down. So, while I'm sure the kids for Northwestern are good kids/fine, can't we agree that stepping into the religious realm isn't very nice?

One other thought...if you think what you write out here doesn't matter, it seems to me that this author gets "fuel" from one VASJ poster in particular. People speak for themselves, but readers from outside of your community inevitably tie the school to the comments of the school's supporters.

Last thing...my high school's students are heavily Catholic. However, there are several Catholic high schools in Cleveland (probably other big cities as well) who serve the poor, the minority and many of their students aren't Catholic. Condemning, mocking, ridiculing that effort IS bigoted. VASJ isn't a white school with a black basketball team. The school is somewhere close to 60-40 in its black/white racial enrollment.
Old 03-20-17, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Wow...pretty ugly stuff.

I didn't attend the game, but the fan "back and forth" sounds like typical high school. Very interesting that the author gives a nod of approval to the bigoted "Catholic" comment while feeling outraged by the farmer put-down. So, while I'm sure the kids for Northwestern are good kids/fine, can't we agree that stepping into the religious realm isn't very nice?

One other thought...if you think what you write out here doesn't matter, it seems to me that this author gets "fuel" from one VASJ poster in particular. People speak for themselves, but readers from outside of your community inevitably tie the school to the comments of the school's supporters.

Last thing...my high school's students are heavily Catholic. However, there are several Catholic high schools in Cleveland (probably other big cities as well) who serve the poor, the minority and many of their students aren't Catholic. Condemning, mocking, ridiculing that effort IS bigoted. VASJ isn't a white school with a black basketball team. The school is somewhere close to 60-40 in its black/white racial enrollment.
I also caught this, wonder if the VASJ fans will tie this columnist back to this school?

By the way kind of a shame that Tim Warsinskey isn't writing about HS sports anymore. While no fan of private schools he loved calling out the folks from Wayne County in his column when they came up with this type of vitriol.
Old 03-20-17, 03:23 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
My brother worked for 15 years in the town that is in this school district. He is not surprised by the comments of this reporter. He said those folks are seriously anti-Catholic. They have a huge disdain for city folks and yes they are rednecks.
Old 03-20-17, 04:06 PM
All Ohio

Lakeshore5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I hope that poster understands this.
Old 03-20-17, 06:04 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
People here can say what they want about me on this site - some is deserved and some is not. I at times get a bit carried away and if I step out of line and I'm wrong - I'm man enough to apologize. I'm a grown man. What I will not allow is for someone (especially and outsider) misrepresent or downgrade the character of our boys or school. Now I may not have attended Joe's - but they have been very good to my son and our family. I have true friends there, I support the school on many levels and they have accepted me into their community.

I was at the game Saturday from the time the teams entered the arena until the time Joe's finished cutting down the nets. Here are a few things the writer failed to mention. He did not mention that the Northwestern fans were riding Alonzo, Danny and Gene on every warm up shot and yelling things that obviously bothered them. In retrospect the VASJ students did not say a word to Northwestern as they warmed up in front of them - not even a peep about their cornrows. Secondly when McGarry had a big dunk with a kid right behind him he got excited - like any kid would do. The fans and even the Northwestern coach were saying stuff to him - so Danny being firery like he is said something back, and was abruptly scolded by Papa and placed on the bench. You see we don't play like that and we don't disrespect our opponents. Remember it was the NW coach that started it. In the 4th quarter what player used two hands to shove a VASJ player to the floor fighting through a screen - a NW kid. Again no mention. Let's talk about the rough play of #40 who should have fouled out much sooner but the refs knew he was their only player. How about the chubby kid who laid out one of the Joe's kids late in the game on a lay up and then flexed and pointed to the crowd for approval. Finally the start the tractor chant would not have started without some of the insulting chants first started by NW. The cheer about Joe's being spoiled rich kids is what prompted it. It did get a chuckle from us parents who are unaware we are rich.

I'm sort of surprised more Joe's people are not on here defending our kids. We have sent kids to elite schools every year out of our program and even had a kid last year attend West Point. Many of the kids on the teams the last several year have been at my house and they are as good of kids as you will meet. The NW center knew what to expect playing Joe's because he actually invested in getting better by playing AAU - how many teammates did. Hell my 12 year old daughter is playing - to get better.

What angers me the most of the blatant racial undertones in the story. Joe's plays hard and they are talented and intense. Im sorry your team is not. That is not their fault. I saw way more rough play from NW than I did from Joe's. But to question players religion based on skin color is just wrong on many levels. Maybe not in Wayne County - but it is in NE Ohio. I spoke with several NW fans and they were nice people who where genuinely interested in how we can be so good every year. The did not assume and were shocked when hearing how close they actually live to the school. In fact our kids live closer than many of the NE kids do to their school I'm sure. Knowing the true thoughts of the NW coach and this AHole writer makes me not give a damn what they think of the game. I now wish Joe's would have ran the score up on them to really piss off the racist bastards. Talk about being classless. The paper should be just as ashamed to even publish that non factual piece of garbage without at least checking some facts.
Old 03-20-17, 06:20 PM
Junior Varsity

vikingsforever is an unknown quantity at this point
Bball

You are starting to get in good standing with me (it is just a joke). You are a good guy.
Old 03-20-17, 07:57 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Saw this comming

I told a few close friends that this school and its behavior during the Aquinas game Wed would create some real good animosity come Sat night. Pymatuning Valley part 2. You know who you are .Wayne County is the epicenter of the competitive balace initiative.
Old 03-20-17, 08:03 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Here I come West Salem

I WILL BE WEARING MY VASJ GEAR this summer when I travel to the home city of Northwestern.Dragway 42 located in West Salem.BB216...Your Uncles raced there back in the day.Going to be a mini Norwalk now with this years grand opening in April.
Old 03-20-17, 08:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong...

In the not too distant past (half a dozen years ago), there was a period where students were throwing in the government provided $5700 voucher at VASJ but not paying the remainder of what was owed...and the school, in somewhat desperate times, was letting people get away with it. As I understand it, that doesn't happen today.
Cat, I am sorry, that was not VASJ. I believe Chanel was in that position at some point because I remember VASJ and another east side Catholic School agreeing to continue the agreed upon financial arrangement families had with Chanel when Chanel closed. VASJ only got about 20 kids from Chanel if memory serves me and by now, they have all graduated. There are kids that receive both academic (based on entrance placement test scores) and need based assistance (based on PSAS Financial Aid applications) off of the list price of $9000 but there isn't a formal program to take only the voucher amount as full payment.
Old 03-20-17, 08:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
I WILL BE WEARING MY VASJ GEAR this summer when I travel to the home city of Northwestern.Dragway 42 located in West Salem.BB216...Your Uncles raced there back in the day.Going to be a mini Norwalk now with this years grand opening in April.
I was talking with them at Piston Power. I will be there for Rock and Race. I think I have a Viking shirt I can dig up to wear. Lol
Old 03-20-17, 08:30 PM
All American

Maul according to my son less than 10 kids came from Chanel and only one played hoops.
Old 03-21-17, 05:32 AM
All American

Maybe if Wayne County and the surrounding areas actually feel this way they can leave their conference and the OHSAA and form their own conference that share the same beliefs and thoughts. They could call it the KKK Conference. It will be filled with white kids 6'0 and shorter of average talent. This way you would NEVER have to play urban inner city kids or expose your kids to better competition. I'm just wondering if the movie American History X was filmed down there. The most pathetic thing is NOBODY from NW or Wayne County is here standing up against the story. That tells me all I care to know.
Old 03-21-17, 09:50 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The school is somewhere close to 60-40 in its black/white racial enrollment.
This article is three years old but it cites to the fact that VASJ is close to 60-40 and, moreover, how rare that is in a society that so often strives to separate itself by color and income.

"That type of balanced mix is quite rare these days, in both private and public schools. According to the Ohio Department of Education, only seven of the 611 school districts in the state have an African-American population that is between 40 and 60 percent. Two of those are in the Cleveland area: Shaker Heights and Garfield Heights."

http://beltmag.com/colorblind-and-rising/

Awesome article. Great things that schools is doing. And, Believe Me (to quote our president . . . as an aside, never believe anyone who starts a speech with "Believe Me" and always question the morality of someone who says he or she is a "very Christian person") these rural schools would not stomach it much better if they were losing to predominantly black small public school teams like Beachwood or like we have seen with Africentric.
Old 03-21-17, 10:38 AM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Wow! That "journalist" has some serious issues.
Old 03-21-17, 04:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
This article is three years old but it cites to the fact that VASJ is close to 60-40 and, moreover, how rare that is in a society that so often strives to separate itself by color and income.

"That type of balanced mix is quite rare these days, in both private and public schools. According to the Ohio Department of Education, only seven of the 611 school districts in the state have an African-American population that is between 40 and 60 percent. Two of those are in the Cleveland area: Shaker Heights and Garfield Heights."

http://beltmag.com/colorblind-and-rising/

Awesome article. Great things that schools is doing. And, Believe Me (to quote our president . . . as an aside, never believe anyone who starts a speech with "Believe Me" and always question the morality of someone who says he or she is a "very Christian person") these rural schools would not stomach it much better if they were losing to predominantly black small public school teams like Beachwood or like we have seen with Africentric.
Thanks for the comments. I always loved that article because the author really captured the essence of our school.
Old 03-21-17, 07:30 PM
Freshman

Bulldog's Boy is on a distinguished road
Article does not represent Northwestern.

As a member of the Northwestern community, I just want to say the article that started this thread is wrong in many ways. Yes, we are from the country and we are proud of it. We do not, on the other, hand consider ourselves better people than any body else.

Like VASJ, we have a proud sports heritage as well. Even though it was nearly 60 years ago, we were the school that was frequently represented in the regional and state tourney. We were State Champions in basketball in 58' and 65' and runner-up in 59'. We were State Champions in baseball in 59' and 66'. It was a Hoosiers type of era for us. We did have a couple regional boys teams around 2005 and a softball team last year too. The team we had this year, grew up playing basketball together in elementary and it had Koch. That gave many people in the community a hope like the old days. Many of the boys from this years team worked throughout their middle school and high school years by playing AAU so they would be prepared for the challenges that would lay ahead like VASJ and other teams. Koch played at a higher AAU level than the others, but those who played, played against competition they don't always get to experience in Wayne County. The boys ARE great young men and bonded together throughout this season.

This is what the article should have been about.

In order to beat a great team like VASJ, you have to play your best. We did not.

As someone who appreciates seeing good basketball, it is easy to see why VASJ does so well. I was really impressed with the guards and the way they handled the basketball. The ball movement they used throughout the game was impressive as well and made our defense work hard to get a stop. VASJ also has some very skilled underclassmen. They will be a force at the Final Four this weekend. After what I saw Saturday, I think you are the favorite.

As far as the article that started this thread, the negative comments about VASJ was just wrong. The negative comments about Wayne County, Northwestern, and our players that are being mentioned throughout this thread are equally inappropriate and make you as much of the problem as the columnist. Two wrongs don't make it right.

Great season Huskies!! We are proud of you!!! Good luck VASJ this weekend!
Old 03-21-17, 11:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog's Boy View Post
The negative comments about Wayne County, Northwestern, and our players that are being mentioned throughout this thread are equally inappropriate and make you as much of the problem as the columnist. Two wrongs don't make it right.
Excellent point and thank you.