Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: West Salem Northwestern (21-5) vs Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph (20-6)
West Salem Northwestern (21-5) 2 11.76%
Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph (20-6) 15 88.24%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-17, 12:52 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,640
Yappi will become famous soon enough
D3 Canton Regional Final: West Salem Northwestern (21-5) vs Cleveland VASJ (20-6)

D3 Canton Regional Final: 03/18 - 7:00 PM @ Canton Fieldhouse

West Salem Northwestern (21-5) vs Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph (20-6)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-16-17, 12:55 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,279
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
St.Joes makes their 5th straight trip to the Schott Saturday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-17, 01:13 PM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,639
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Will this also be an AP poll revenge game for VASJ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-17, 01:20 PM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 8,995
thePITman is on a distinguished road
Northwestern is pretty good (not great) and has a very good big man, and I'll be rooting for them (a local team)... but they're no VASJ.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-17, 07:17 PM
VASJalumni VASJalumni is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-16-17
Posts: 16
VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Will this also be an AP poll revenge game for VASJ?
No not at all. Northwestern was not ranked ahead of VASJ. Joes will however come out with just as much energy as their AP revenge games and win their 5th straight Regional championship.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-17, 07:35 PM
Bball216 Bball216 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,124
Bball216 is on a distinguished road
The Northwestern center is pretty good - but he is used to being the big fish in a small pond. We will see how he does when he is not the big fish. He played every minute in the STA game and was getting tired. VASJ plays a much faster pace - not sure he or his teammates have the conditioning. I feel if STA would have played a faster pace they would have won. This NW team beat Oberlin so they have played against athletic teams - not sure they played a team like Joe's. VASJ should be healthy and motivated to make history by going to Columbus a 5th straight time. I think Joe's by 25 or so.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-17, 08:02 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,125
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Another David vs Goliath game.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-16-17, 09:12 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 478
CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Dont think this david is gonna pull it off. VASJ I expect will continue to casually dismantle the farm schools one by one on their path to an OHSAA title. Not complaining of course I have no personal stock in this division, its just the way things are at present.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-17, 12:02 AM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,125
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Dont think this david is gonna pull it off. VASJ I expect will continue to casually dismantle the farm schools one by one on their path to an OHSAA title. Not complaining of course I have no personal stock in this division, its just the way things are at present.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Me either. Maybe a better analogy would be the snowball's chance in hell.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-17, 06:37 AM
Ilovehoops Ilovehoops is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 06-15-15
Posts: 1
Ilovehoops is on a distinguished road
Northwestern along with Oberlin played Barberton (lost by 14) and Dayton Dunbar (lost by 5) so they have played against similar athletes to St. Joes during the season and competed. To have any chance though they will have to try to keep the pace of play at a reasonable level which is obviously easier said than done.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-17-17, 08:27 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 478
CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
No offense to Barberton basketball, but they are nothing like VASJ. Dont get me wrong, they are a good team. Just dont even begin to compare them to what vasj can do on the floor. Trust me, I know Barberton, they are in my corner of the world.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-17, 07:54 PM
PortageCountySports PortageCountySports is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-04-15
Posts: 47
PortageCountySports is on a distinguished road
According to this thread, apparently you have to be a predominately African-American team to be considered an athletic team. Why can't people just come out and say the truth?

Northwestern plays in the Wayne County Athletic League. They aren't used to playing black teams where the players are faster, can jump higher, and are generally more athletic.

That will be the difference. Nothing wrong with telling the truth. It's no secret. It's what everyone on here is thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-17, 07:57 PM
afwpatfire afwpatfire is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Stark County
Posts: 3,647
afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
According to this thread, apparently you have to be a predominately African-American team to be considered an athletic team. Why can't people just come out and say the truth?

Northwestern plays in the Wayne County Athletic League. They aren't used to playing black teams where the players are faster, can jump higher, and are generally more athletic.

That will be the difference. Nothing wrong with telling the truth. It's no secret. It's what everyone on here is thinking.
Umm, because no all athletic teams are predominately African-American and not all African-American teams are athletic (I could name a bunch).

To me athleticism in basketball is quickness and the ability to jump.

I would call Jackson a very athletic team, but all Caucasian.

So...

Last edited by afwpatfire; 03-17-17 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-17, 08:04 PM
Blackman Blackman is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-07-13
Posts: 53
Blackman is on a distinguished road
Uh ya...those two white dudes at Jackson have much better verticals than many black players I know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-18-17, 11:23 PM
Bball216 Bball216 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,124
Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Joes came out of the gate tonight and did what they were hoping to do - get out to an early lead. Like expected the VASJ press and length gave the Huskies fits. VASJ played about as perfect a first quarter as you can play and it demoralized Northwestern. The Vikings cooled off a bit in the second half and gave up some easy baskets - but the game was long over by then. They seemed to lose interest a bit at times. The Northwestern center is a solid player but he ran out of gas a bit and never once came out of the game. Even with him in the game and playing well the Vikings were up about 25 points all night. He played well and is used to being the best player on the floor - tonight he was not. That honor belonged to Gaffney, Higgins and McGarry. Gaffney showed the flash and talent people have been talking about tonight. He electrified the crowd with several dunks and left Huskie fans shaking their heads.

I know people have been talking about Joe's not belonging in D3 but to be 100% honest - I saw all the gams in Canton and I believe there was several teams in the Garfield District that could have won this regional. I expect some really good basketball in Columbus but Joe's is playing as good as anybody. Looking forward to spending a few days in Columbus again.

How confident was I in this team ? I reserved my room in Columbus at the Marriott Easton 6mo ago. Like I have for the last 4 prior years. Yeah Joes

Last edited by Bball216; 03-19-17 at 04:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-19-17, 09:47 AM
cinco cinco is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-23-11
Posts: 17
cinco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Joes came out of the gate tonight and did what they were hoping to do - get out to an early lead. Like expected the VASJ press and length gave the Huskies fits. VASJ played about as perfect a first quarter as you can play and it demoralized Northwestern. The Vikings cooled off a bit in the second half and gave up some easy baskets - but the game was long over by then. They seemed to lose interest a bit at times. The Northwestern center is a solid player but he ran out of gas a bit and never once came out of the game. Even with him in the game and playing well the Vikings were up about 25 points all night. He played well and is used to being the best player on the floor - tonight he was not. That honor belonged to Gaffney, Higgins and McGarry. Gaffney showed the flash and talent people have been talking about tonight. He electrified the crowd with several dunks and left Huskie fans shaking their heads.

I know people have been talking about Joe's not belonging in D3 but to be 100% honest - I saw all the gams in Canton and I believe there was several teams in the Garfield District that could have won this regional. I expect some really good basketball in Columbus but Joe's is playing as good as anybody. Looking forward to spending a few days in Columbus again.

How confident was I in this team ? I reserved my room in Columbus at the Marriott Easton 6mo ago. Like I have for the last 4 prior years. Yeah Joes
You sir are a horrible winner. Do you really think everybody wants to hear how early you booked your hotel room? You might want to look up the word humility. Do they teach that in Catholic schools? With the athletes you recruit, Mickey Mouse could coach this team and win state. So please save us with all the great coaching that's going on over there.
There are many good teams with great tradition, like VASJ, but they just don't feel the need to come on here and gloat about how they dismantled a team they were supposed to defeat. HUMILITY...try it some time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-19-17, 10:00 AM
Lakeshore5 Lakeshore5 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-11-13
Posts: 487
Lakeshore5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
You sir are a horrible winner. Do you really think everybody wants to hear how early you booked your hotel room? You might want to look up the word humility. Do they teach that in Catholic schools? With the athletes you recruit, Mickey Mouse could coach this team and win state. So please save us with all the great coaching that's going on over there.
There are many good teams with great tradition, like VASJ, but they just don't feel the need to come on here and gloat about how they dismantled a team they were supposed to defeat. HUMILITY...try it some time.
Bball's posts should come with a disclaimer that he doesn't represent 99% of the fans thoughts. Also, I'm happy to report that humility is taught at VASJ, it's just that the poster you are scolding didn't attend VASJ. Final thought, just to clear things up, while the team is very talented, it's really just a reflection of the dense inner ring community, not the recruiting efforts that many believe. Sorry you had to put up with his post.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-19-17, 11:10 AM
vikingsforever vikingsforever is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 23
vikingsforever is on a distinguished road
CINCO and BBALL

It takes much more than Mickey Mouse to be successful. A team will be led by the attitude of the coach. This coach has put a program in place for the full development of the individual. That is mental, physical, educational and spiritual. Mickey would just roll the ball out on the court and then chase Minnie Mouse's skirt all year long.

As for Bball, we are not interested in your next massage and pedicure.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-19-17, 01:58 PM
CleveHoopFan08 CleveHoopFan08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-06-08
Posts: 163
CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
You sir are a horrible winner. Do you really think everybody wants to hear how early you booked your hotel room? You might want to look up the word humility. Do they teach that in Catholic schools? With the athletes you recruit, Mickey Mouse could coach this team and win state. So please save us with all the great coaching that's going on over there.
There are many good teams with great tradition, like VASJ, but they just don't feel the need to come on here and gloat about how they dismantled a team they were supposed to defeat. HUMILITY...try it some time.
Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-19-17, 03:49 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,279
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
BBall does not represent the mind set of others at the Village, that's just poor sportsmanship, however the vast majority at St.Joes are all local kids who grew up around the school considering we are on the border of Euclid and Cleveland. Hell our stud sophomore Gaffney who attended St.Jerome which is down the street from the school. As mentioned in multiple threads most of these kids can walk to school if they wanted to and have connection whether they are legacy or live near to the school and saw it as best fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-19-17, 04:13 PM
PortageCountySports PortageCountySports is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-04-15
Posts: 47
PortageCountySports is on a distinguished road
Serious question

How much is tuition and how do those families afford it ?!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-19-17, 04:14 PM
Blackman Blackman is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-07-13
Posts: 53
Blackman is on a distinguished road
That was quite a game and while I am generally of the belief coaching is overrated a bit...the way that team was prepared and focused going in as the favorites was impressive. I think a lot of that has to go to the coach but I'm speculating of course. I think most thought it wouldn't be real close but they truly played with an intensity I have not seen for a while. When Gaffney is engaged and into the game he is nearly unstoppable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-19-17, 04:15 PM
VASJalumni VASJalumni is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-16-17
Posts: 16
VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
You sir are a horrible winner. Do you really think everybody wants to hear how early you booked your hotel room? You might want to look up the word humility. Do they teach that in Catholic schools? With the athletes you recruit, Mickey Mouse could coach this team and win state. So please save us with all the great coaching that's going on over there.
There are many good teams with great tradition, like VASJ, but they just don't feel the need to come on here and gloat about how they dismantled a team they were supposed to defeat. HUMILITY...try it some time.
Well for one thing, VASJ does not recruit. The programs past does that for us. As I have stated many times, this team is full of a bunch of community kids. Danny McGarry lives 12 streets from the school. Alonzo Gaffney lives about 15 and the same for Will Butler. I can go on and on. 90% of this team can ride a bike or walk to school.

As for the coaching, you are completely wrong. VASJ has one of the best coaching staffs in the state. People think we just throw athletes out and win. If you go to a practice, this team goes just as hard as any team you can name and probably harder. The coaching is a huge part of the success. Northwestern struggled to stop our plays. Not because they are great athletes but because of how well drawn up the plays are. As a former player from recent years, this team easily knows 25+ plays like the back of their hands. The coaching is a huge part of this team. VASJ got tons of layups and open shots not by blowing by someone but by good plays. The coaches are great at scouting other teams and preparing for them. As an outsider, you just do not know how good the coaching is. I can't be mad at you for that. Your remarks are most likely from being in the heat of the moment from bball216's comments. Joes is a great team with a great coaching staff. While it may be easy to say we throw people out there and win, it is far from it.

Bball216 is a passionate viking fan and I know him very well. However, he lacks a filter most of the times and seems to get enjoyment out of other people getting worked up. Your best bet is to ignore his comments.VASJ is great school with a great surrounding community. It is a shame that some people give us a bad reputation on here.

Last edited by VASJalumni; 03-19-17 at 04:16 PM. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-19-17, 04:27 PM
VASJalumni VASJalumni is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-16-17
Posts: 16
VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
Serious question

How much is tuition and how do those families afford it ?!
I believe without any help it is close to $8,000 but don't quote me. Many of these kids have had family members attend which does allow them to get some money off. Some kids go to the public schools which are in academic emergency and get edchoice which If I am not mistaken pays for a majority of the schooling. Most go to the catholic schools down the the street and are able to pay the extra couple thousand once they make the transition from grade school to high school. The alumni events that occur every year bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars each year that allow the school to give out scholarships to tons of kids. Lastly a lot of kids get financial aid. There are many ways for these kids afford the education.While the area may not be full of rich people, people do have enough to pay for the schooling. I hope this answered your questions.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-19-17, 06:30 PM
cinco cinco is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-23-11
Posts: 17
cinco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASJalumni View Post
Well for one thing, VASJ does not recruit. The programs past does that for us. As I have stated many times, this team is full of a bunch of community kids. Danny McGarry lives 12 streets from the school. Alonzo Gaffney lives about 15 and the same for Will Butler. I can go on and on. 90% of this team can ride a bike or walk to school.

As for the coaching, you are completely wrong. VASJ has one of the best coaching staffs in the state. People think we just throw athletes out and win. If you go to a practice, this team goes just as hard as any team you can name and probably harder. The coaching is a huge part of the success. Northwestern struggled to stop our plays. Not because they are great athletes but because of how well drawn up the plays are. As a former player from recent years, this team easily knows 25+ plays like the back of their hands. The coaching is a huge part of this team. VASJ got tons of layups and open shots not by blowing by someone but by good plays. The coaches are great at scouting other teams and preparing for them. As an outsider, you just do not know how good the coaching is. I can't be mad at you for that. Your remarks are most likely from being in the heat of the moment from bball216's comments. Joes is a great team with a great coaching staff. While it may be easy to say we throw people out there and win, it is far from it.

Bball216 is a passionate viking fan and I know him very well. However, he lacks a filter most of the times and seems to get enjoyment out of other people getting worked up. Your best bet is to ignore his comments.VASJ is great school with a great surrounding community. It is a shame that some people give us a bad reputation on here.
You are correct about your coaching staff and I know that. I was just venting, as you said, in the heat of the moment. I just get tired of some of his comments. I apologize and I have tremendous respect for your program. Good luck in Cbus!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-19-17, 06:54 PM
Bball216 Bball216 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,124
Bball216 is on a distinguished road
The post about the hotel room being booked was not in ANY way to disrespect the other teams that VASJ has played. I read it and it did sound like that - that was not my intent at all. I apologize to anybody I affended. The statement was more to show the confidence that I had in the team to work hard and return to Columbus. I did the same thing last year even though nobody (including me) thought they have a chance to return to state. Rooms are hard to come by as well once teams find out they are heading to Columbus so that is actually a big reason as well. Again I did not mean for the post to insensitive.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-19-17, 07:34 PM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,639
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
The post about the hotel room being booked was not in ANY way to disrespect the other teams that VASJ has played. I read it and it did sound like that - that was not my intent at all. I apologize to anybody I affended. The statement was more to show the confidence that I had in the team to work hard and return to Columbus. I did the same thing last year even though nobody (including me) thought they have a chance to return to state. Rooms are hard to come by as well once teams find out they are heading to Columbus so that is actually a big reason as well. Again I did not mean for the post to insensitive.
I think most people recognize that you're doing the best that you can.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-19-17, 08:25 PM
MugnMaul78 MugnMaul78 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-25-10
Posts: 596
MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASJalumni View Post
I believe without any help it is close to $8,000 but don't quote me. Many of these kids have had family members attend which does allow them to get some money off. Some kids go to the public schools which are in academic emergency and get edchoice which If I am not mistaken pays for a majority of the schooling. Most go to the catholic schools down the the street and are able to pay the extra couple thousand once they make the transition from grade school to high school. The alumni events that occur every year bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars each year that allow the school to give out scholarships to tons of kids. Lastly a lot of kids get financial aid. There are many ways for these kids afford the education.While the area may not be full of rich people, people do have enough to pay for the schooling. I hope this answered your questions.
Well explained Vikingalumni. To be more specific, the Tuition is about $9K, the second lowest in the Dioceses of Cleveland after Cleveland Central Catholic, unless you count St Martin Deporres which has a low tuition with required work internships to help the poor, a different tuition model than most schools. If you are the child or grandchild of an alumni, you get $500 off and their are sibling discounts. There is additional aid based on placement test scores. Cleveland Voucher is $5700 with preference to low income and Ohio EdChoice will offer a $5700 voucher if your school is under academic emergency. Families need to pay the difference between the tuition and voucher. You might ask how they do it, I used to use my income tax return to pay most of it and our cars were 10 years old with 100K miles. You do what you have to.

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 03-19-17 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-19-17, 09:37 PM
Bball216 Bball216 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,124
Bball216 is on a distinguished road
There's are also families that work a ton of events at the school ranging from sports, banquets and fund raisers to offset the costs. There are some families that work so much that between the voucher or edchoice and their service hours they almost knock out all the balance due.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-20-17, 07:35 AM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,639
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
Well explained Vikingalumni. To be more specific, the Tuition is about $9K, the second lowest in the Dioceses of Cleveland after Cleveland Central Catholic, unless you count St Martin Deporres which has a low tuition with required work internships to help the poor, a different tuition model than most schools. If you are the child or grandchild of an alumni, you get $500 off and their are sibling discounts. There is additional aid based on placement test scores. Cleveland Voucher is $5700 with preference to low income and Ohio EdChoice will offer a $5700 voucher if your school is under academic emergency. Families need to pay the difference between the tuition and voucher. You might ask how they do it, I used to use my income tax return to pay most of it and our cars were 10 years old with 100K miles. You do what you have to.
Correct me if I am wrong...

In the not too distant past (half a dozen years ago), there was a period where students were throwing in the government provided $5700 voucher at VASJ but not paying the remainder of what was owed...and the school, in somewhat desperate times, was letting people get away with it. As I understand it, that doesn't happen today.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid-Season divisional weight class rankings (week of 1/2/17) bucksman Wrestling 30 02-11-17 08:35 PM
History of Baseball State Championships (1928-2016) Yappi Baseball 32 12-16-16 08:10 AM
2015 - 2016 Canton McKinley Boys Basketball Stats IUDOGS Boys Basketball 146 11-06-16 07:40 PM
Football Final Scores - Friday (09/19/14) knightgeek27 Football 86 09-20-14 11:46 AM
Football Final Scores - Friday (09/12/14) Yappi Football 108 09-13-14 02:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz