Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-16-17, 05:37 AM
Freshman

cougardad7 is on a distinguished road
Sprint Training In The Cold

What are some of your thoughts on training your sprinters in the cold temperatures?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-17, 06:31 AM
Varsity

xcountry315 is on a distinguished road
I think it is really hard. We have not done anything that involves any real sprinting in the cold out of fear of injury. We did circuits on the football field with push-ups, core exercises, slow hurdle drills, med ball exercises, etc. and then went up into the school hallway to work on blocks/starts indoors.

We also filmed each kid sprinting last week on a warmer day, and used part of one day this week to review it with each kid.

We're itching to get to the real training. Come on mother nature!
Old 03-16-17, 08:18 AM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
You can't run fast in the cold unless you are trying to risk injury... I don't think a sprinter should ever run "fast" unless it's in the 50's and sunny... Opinions may vary but it is hard to really do a good warmup in 25-40 degree weather. Tempo work is your best bet but that's just my opinion.... XCountry315 is spot on as well... A definite no no though if it's me
Old 03-16-17, 07:22 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
indoor training, weighted sleds, chutes, lots of reactive strength stuff with plyo boxes. Indoor starts, running stairs, cuircut training in the weightroom

distance kids are out pounding it in the cold
Old 03-16-17, 08:14 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Sprint Training In The Cold

We are much the same. We got back out today and did some tempo stuff (today was interesting because sprints, long sprints and hurdles were all doing intervals in the 200 to 300 range). Inside yesterday (which means a majority of the team had the day off). Definitely no high intensity stuff when it is cold.
Old 03-16-17, 09:36 PM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Our schools team just did longer hill intervals today, both thr sprinters and the distance, although the distance did more as expected. We have a lovely little hill circuit on a few streets overlooking one of our portage lakes. Streets are all named after fruit, so we call it the fruit bowl. No practice the two days prior to today-snow day.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-17, 09:48 AM
All World

snow today........a cross country run for the mid and distance kids. At this point, gonna have to take the A group and push them.

Going to have to get hurdle and jumps practice in regardless
Old 03-17-17, 10:36 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
snow today........a cross country run for the mid and distance kids. At this point, gonna have to take the A group and push them.

Going to have to get hurdle and jumps practice in regardless
Snow hit at just the wrong time in my neck of the woods on Friday, so a 3rd day was lost this week for the sprinters, jumpers, hurdlers, and throwers. My school's building doesn't provide many options for indoor activities either. The other 2 days lost this week were due to 1) a snow day and 2) a practice time wind chill factor that was predicted to be in the single digits. Some distance folks can run in those conditions easily, but most don't have the proper gear for when things go below 20 degrees (ex. non-cotton gloves, a windproof outer layer, or a balaclava, gaiter, or similar item that can protect the face). Veteran runners who do it year-round accumulate that gear over time. Novices and those others who don't run year-round generally won't have those items and may never feel the need to acquire them.

Back in grade school, the wind chill factor had to be above 20 for us to have outdoor recess.
Old 03-18-17, 12:31 AM
All Region

sprinters, especially the multisporters that did not do indoor track may have a slow start to the outdoor season. But the distance kids have been absolutely enjoying this winter I would imagine. They should start strong this outdoor season statewide.

Old 03-18-17, 12:36 AM
All Region

At least our new high school building contains three different stairwells containing 3 flights of steps. So theres possibilities for an indoor training session there. Throwers can bench in our weightroom. Not much we can do for our jumpers and hurdlers, but they generally do running events as well, so theyve got something.

Old 03-18-17, 02:10 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Graham High School is so pathetic they don't allow even the distance running kids outdoors if it's below freezing.
Old 03-18-17, 12:45 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
I imagine that puts quite the damper on indoor track for distance runners...
Old 03-18-17, 01:42 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
We do not allow boy sprinters to be at practice or meets until mid April. Must be over 60 degrees and sunny or at least over 70 degrees before we allow them anywhere near the team. Just brings down the coaches and other teammates with all the complaining, fake pulled muscles, 45 minutes at the trainers table and hiding and restroom breaks. We cover their events with distance kids at meets until mid April. Just makes all our lives more pleasant. Girls, are another story. They are tolerable.
Old 03-18-17, 03:33 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
We do not allow boy sprinters to be at practice or meets until mid April. Must be over 60 degrees and sunny or at least over 70 degrees before we allow them anywhere near the team. Just brings down the coaches and other teammates with all the complaining, fake pulled muscles, 45 minutes at the trainers table and hiding and restroom breaks. We cover their events with distance kids at meets until mid April. Just makes all our lives more pleasant. Girls, are another story. They are tolerable.
By all means, do whats best for your team. But I expect a good meet out of your bulldogs again on the 11th. Im looking forward to it...dont cheat me out of a great meet (by the way, wasnt Novak, Sanders, Mally, and company there last year?).

As for the complaining etc, I see that as hardly an issue with a team that is very motivated. Our Coach Savage is a great motivator, at least for the boys. and teams with motivation simply do not have those issues. I remember in our first dual meet of the 2015 season, it was Coventry vs Hoban. Took place at Elms. Was 35 degrees, windy, some freezing rain, Elms facility was very exposed to the elements. By all accounts, a very miserable day. Many of Coventrys best sprinters went down with a slight pulled muscle that day, had to be pulled from their remaining events, weakening our position against the Knights. Plus Elms facility had no high jump pit. A major blow to Coventry. Many comets had to step up that day (including a 4 by 400 where all its runners were second string who had litterally been given 5 minutes warning to get ready, they thought they were done for the night, two of those guys had never ran track, much less a 400 before, and they got the job done). Coventry was able to eek out a 60 to 59 victory that day. Pure guts shown on a miserable night like that. But the bus ride home, the kids were anything but demoralized. They were happy, joking, loud, obnoxious, jubilant, triumphant, and proud. And hungry for more. Any coach who can get a team to be like that after standing in the cold/elements for many hours, is a rarity indeed. An ability to motivate is an incredibly valuable skill.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 03-18-17 at 06:38 PM..
Old 03-19-17, 02:53 PM
All World

We ended up with a good Friday workout and the JH got some good girls work in. Pole vault cover has not been taken off yet.