Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-17, 09:40 AM
All American

jhc2010 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jhc2010
Arrow Ohio Capital Conference games will now begin at 7:00 PM

The Ohio Capital Conference voted last night to change the starting times for varsity football to 7:00 PM effective the upcoming 2017 season.

Schools may request a 7:30 PM game time through the league office if they foresee potential transportation issues (districts with multiple schools transporting multiple teams to away games) with making it to a game site with ample amount of preparation time for the team.

Coaches voted 31-1 last fall to keep game times at 7:30 PM, but administrators wanted games to begin at 7:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-17, 01:01 PM
All American

jhc2010 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jhc2010
http://thisweeknews.com/sports/20170...ng-up-kickoffs
Quote:
Football: OCC moving up kickoffs
By FRANK DIRENNA
THISWEEKSPORTS.COM
@ThisWeekFrank

In a move that is receiving mixed reaction, the principals of the 31 OCC high schools approved moving the kickoff of Friday night varsity football games from 7:30 to 7 p.m.

The vote was held during the OCC's regular meeting March 13 at the Medallion Club in Westerville and will take effect in the coming season.

Westerville Central principal Todd Spinner said the time change is a smart move logistically.

"We're absolutely for it," he said. "In education, if we're concerned about our students getting home and being safe at a reasonable time, by moving the start time from 7:30 to 7, logic will tell you that the game will end sooner. So not only the students playing in the game but the students watching the game, maybe younger students who normally can't stay up later, are home earlier."

Spinner also said the time change will allow players who compete at both the varsity and junior varsity levels to get home earlier in preparation for Saturday morning contests.

Many coaches are against the decision, however. According to Hilliard Davidson's Brian White, the coaches voted on the time change in the fall and only one voted in favor of the earlier start.

"It's very discouraging that the OCC coaches were so overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the start times at 7:30 only to have a vote by the principals be the deciding factor," White said. "I'm sure they have their reasons for doing so, but I highly question whether there is data to back up those reasons."

White said coaches' concerns with the time change include the temperature of turf fields at 7 p.m. in the early weeks of the season as opposed to 7:30 p.m. He said that adds more of a risk to the athletes than any benefit of moving the start time.

Busing issues also could arise with the time change, White said.

Dublin Jerome athletics director Ryan Walker said the move should have little bearing on his school.

"A half-hour one way or the other probably doesn't really impact me all that much," he said. "It's probably a bigger deal for the coaches to change their pregame routine. We've had games at 7 at (North Canton) Hoover and Logan and we made it work. For my part, we'll just operate as usual."

The principals also approved raising ticket prices for all athletic events beginning in the fall.

Varsity events will increase from $6 for adults and $4 for students and seniors to $7 and $5, respectively.

Junior varsity and freshman events not held in conjunction with varsity events will increase from $4 for adults and $2 for students and seniors to $5 and $3, respectively.

fdirenna@thisweeknews.com

@ThisWeekFrank
Old 03-14-17, 07:47 PM
Varsity

uncle_rico is an unknown quantity at this point
This is really a dumb move. Obviously the people making the decisions did not think it through. Not only does this affect travel time for teams and fans and pregame routines, but the sunset will be brutal for the first hour on fans and coaches of one team. I don't have a dog in the fight but if I were an OCC coach I would be livid. I hope for their sake this decision gets overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-17, 12:51 PM
All District

Walt is on a distinguished road
certainly not a parent/fan friendly decision. If you work until 4:30/5:00 and have to sit for 45 mins to a hour in Columbus rush hour traffic, it doesn't leave much time to change clothes, and get to the game.
Old 03-15-17, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Up here in the Northeast, we have had 7:00 games for several years. I haven't heard any complaints. I think it has been a good thing. HS football games are taking longer than they used to 10-20 years ago. More passing, more first downs, more scoring = more time stoppage. Some games take close to three hours. Getting fans (especially young families) out of there earlier is a good thing.
Old 03-15-17, 01:30 PM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Im happy Athens is still 7:30. Most teams have switched to 7. That 7pm sucks for people that actually work. Us in Athens all work until 5pm
Old 03-15-17, 01:48 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
I think it is a d-u-m-b move. A lot of people don't get home until 6:00 or so due to rush hour commuting. This really condenses the turnaround time at home which will spill over to impact any social time before the game. I think this will lend itself to making the games less of an 'event'.
Old 03-15-17, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

Harrycrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past
To me there was nothing broken about the start times . Why the change? I mean it isn't a school night so why the rush to get kids" HOME" when most kids aren't going to bed early on a Friday night . Kids meet and socialize after games at some schools, they arne't going right home anyway and I agree with Lambeau , some folks like to socialize BEFORE games as well and that extra half hour is prime time for that with many people not getting home until close to 6 o'clock after work.

We'll see if it cuts the attendance a bit, probably not significant but it could just have some effect which is the last thing you want.

I realize some areas and legues have multiple programs where the attendance has stayed strong through the years even in this era of increasing options . The OCC and the Columbus outerbelt isn't one of those leagues.

Some programs do better than others but we can all see the decrease in the last 10-15 years . Road attendance for some even solid programs is embarrassing, I feel the road attendance goes down for sure, while home attendance might not .

At Coffman it seems , the first home game is always well attended, Davidson games are the best attended , and may be one other game earlier in the warm weather and if the opponent is strong or interesting {Olentangy is a respected program and successful so that week 4 games was nicely attended } but overall I think the road attendance of teams has gone down considerably . Just viewing on you tube you can see clips from the earlier 2000's and it reminds you of the bigger crowds back then.

2007 UA Coffman game had a real nice crowd, UA doesn't travel that way anymore , Davidson travels well for obvious reasons given their success , and I was impressed how well Marysville traveled when they had a good club { 2013} but this will only lessen road attendance in my opinion and we will see smaller crowds even if only going across town to play a game . As it was with the 730 start we saw crowds not filing into the stadium until 7-40 or so . Bad move IMO
Old 03-15-17, 02:25 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I don't know if there's any "magical" about 7 PM versus 7:30 PM, but I do know one thing. It seems rather odd to me that the principals would just blow off the opinion of the coaches the way they did.

That's the part that's bothersome to me. Let's all get on the same page, folks, and no, that does not mean that the principals simply tell the coaches to "fall in line or else." It's as if the principals didn't even bother to ask their coaches what they thought.
Old 03-15-17, 09:37 PM
All District

Walt is on a distinguished road
As a Pick Central fan who works in downtown Columbus and is expected to work until 5 PM it was hard enough getting to 7:30 games. Luckily my employer lets me leave early and I'm pretty dedicated, but if I weren't so dedicated I can't imagine I'd make any away games. As it stands now I sometimes just go straight from work instead of going home first.
Old 03-16-17, 06:03 AM
All District

1995 is on a distinguished road
How do the freshman parents make it to 4:30 basketball games Or the Jv parents at a 6:00 game? I"m not a big fan of it either. More so from a team perspective. Getting buses will be very hard for some schools.
Old 03-16-17, 07:24 AM
All District

HSFB is on a distinguished road
What about the officials? They have jobs and need to eat and travel also. Plus, if I'm not mistaken they have to be on site 30 min. or an hour prior to kick-off.
Old 03-16-17, 07:46 AM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Up here in the Northeast, we have had 7:00 games for several years. I haven't heard any complaints. I think it has been a good thing. HS football games are taking longer than they used to 10-20 years ago. More passing, more first downs, more scoring = more time stoppage. Some games take close to three hours. Getting fans (especially young families) out of there earlier is a good thing.
As he CardzFan said, up in NEO it hasn't made any difference whatsoever...if you want to get there, you'll get there. I'm assuming the issue of principals wanting to move the games up when coaches don't is similar to an underlying issue here when times were moved up: it gives HS kids (not the players) a half hour less to make poor choices. It may seem stupid, but cutting off 30 minutes from "pre-game activities" for HS kids can make a big difference, and that's what admins are worried about here.
Old 03-16-17, 09:01 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
That's the part that's bothersome to me. Let's all get on the same page, folks, and no, that does not mean that the principals simply tell the coaches to "fall in line or else."
Great point FWC. The Administrations served up a bunch of $h!t sandwiches to the coaches, especially considering that the coach voting was nearly unanimous.
Old 03-16-17, 09:09 AM
All District

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post
It may seem stupid, but cutting off 30 minutes from "pre-game activities" for HS kids can make a big difference, and that's what admins are worried about here.
Great point. Back in the day, I remember pre-game activities often led to "huh, there's a game tonight?"
Old 03-16-17, 09:19 AM
All World

troyboy73
No big deal. GWOC has done this for several seasons. The sun is up for most of first half for August and early Septemer games. Troy has had some games that started at 7:00 and with a running clock in the second half the game was over before 9:00 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 09:39 AM
All World

Quote:
It may seem stupid, but cutting off 30 minutes from "pre-game activities" for HS kids can make a big difference, and that's what admins are worried about here.
If that's the reason, it is stupid. Non-players get out of school at 2:30 or so.

Giving them 4.5 hours to get drunk or stoned instead of 5 hours doesn't make one bit of difference.

That being said, it would not shock me if that is the kind of "logic" that went in to this decision....
Old 03-16-17, 09:47 AM
All District

Fizz is on a distinguished road
At least the band parents can leave even earlier
Old 03-23-17, 05:25 PM
Varsity

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
I'm not liking this.As was pointed out,some fans like to congregate before games and that extra half hour rushes things.Also not everyone gets off work at 5 PM.Some people don't leave work until between 6 and 7 PM,have long drives home to change etc.Even at that time the traffic can be brutal especially if there are accidents.This time change will make it tough or impossible for some to even make kick off time for away games,especially the ones that are outside the Columbus Metro area.I expect attendance to take a hit.
Old 03-27-17, 02:03 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Horrible!
There goes the tailgating!
Maybe that's why?? Lol
Old 03-27-17, 02:05 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Seriously I hate it.
It used to be a hassle when I worked full fridays to to get home get changed and get to the stadium let alone traveling.
Kids eat their pregame dinner need time for it to digest.
I remember seeing an old program from my HS games in the 80's.
Games all started at 8!
Old 03-27-17, 03:19 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Right, but it gives an extra 30 minutes for post-game activities.

It sounds to me like a win for the principals, who, if they go to games, get to go home a half hour earlier.
Old 03-27-17, 03:45 PM
All District

22 Acacia Ave is on a distinguished road
Good! now we can get in before 11:00!
Old 03-27-17, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
The GWOC has been doing this for awhile... it does not bother me but I do see the impact of the 7:00 game compared to 7:30. Our home side is half full at 7 and does not fill up until 7:30. Away games have bigger impact on our crowd. It is very noticeable with other GWOC teams as well.... this will definitely hurt attendance at every OCC school.
Old 03-27-17, 08:33 PM
Varsity

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Don't run the spread and don't pass so much and the games will be over quickly problem solved.
Old 03-27-17, 08:36 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipyap View Post
Don't run the spread and don't pass so much and the games will be over quickly problem solved.
Davidson-Darby games might be over by 8:30.
Old 03-27-17, 08:37 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
Seriously I hate it.
It used to be a hassle when I worked full fridays to to get home get changed and get to the stadium let alone traveling.
Kids eat their pregame dinner need time for it to digest.
I remember seeing an old program from my HS games in the 80's.
Games all started at 8!
Yep.
Old 03-28-17, 06:54 AM
Varsity

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Remember those games. Students came in droves.
Old 03-28-17, 08:07 AM
Junior Varsity

BT17 is on a distinguished road
The MSL has been doing this for several years without issue.
Old 03-28-17, 09:32 PM
Varsity

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcons86 View Post
Davidson-Darby games might be over by 8:30.
As a veteran of watching those games,I heard that ! Actually alot of Davidson games were over with by 9:30 even with the 7:30 start.I have actually seen Davidson games with 30 minute halves.