Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-17, 01:14 PM
Freshman

High-school BB fan is on a distinguished road
Div. 4 Final 4

Div IV Semi-Finals

Waterford (#4) vs. Jackson Center (#13) @ 6:00 PM Thursday

Ottoville (#7) vs. Berlin Hiland (#1) @8:00 PM Thursday

Any Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-17, 06:00 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
4 familiar names.

I remember the last time Hiland and Ottoville got together at state. I'm guessing it was in the finals around 2006. ? I think both coaches are still there. Hiland was loaded that year, but Oville was too. I remember they had this one girl who was the shot put champion, maybe 6', 250 lbs with a gut, and I remember thinking, "Hiland is going to run her arse out of the gym." She played the whole game, ran fast up and down the court, and never looked tired. Incredible athlete. If anyone has her name, I'd love to add it to that memory.

Hiland won that game in OT. It's going to be hard for this game to top that one.
Old 03-13-17, 09:17 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
4 familiar names.

I remember the last time Hiland and Ottoville got together at state. I'm guessing it was in the finals around 2006. ? I think both coaches are still there. Hiland was loaded that year, but Oville was too. I remember they had this one girl who was the shot put champion, maybe 6', 250 lbs with a gut, and I remember thinking, "Hiland is going to run her arse out of the gym." She played the whole game, ran fast up and down the court, and never looked tired. Incredible athlete. If anyone has her name, I'd love to add it to that memory.

Hiland won that game in OT. It's going to be hard for this game to top that one.
Girls DIII shot put champion from 2005 was Stacie Wannemacher (sp?) from Ottoville. She was a 3x state champion in the event (2004-2006) and a 4x state qualifier in the discus with a 2nd place finish in 2006.

I'd say your memory is quite good.
Old 03-14-17, 07:30 AM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
4 familiar names.

I remember her we were calling her "beef" what a good ball player she was.
Old 03-15-17, 11:54 AM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Good luck to the Lady Big Green!
Old 03-15-17, 12:19 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Go Waterford. Defending state champs. I can't remember the last time the TVC champ was not playing at state
Old 03-15-17, 12:38 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Girls DIII shot put champion from 2005 was Stacie Wannemacher (sp?) from Ottoville. She was a 3x state champion in the event (2004-2006) and a 4x state qualifier in the discus with a 2nd place finish in 2006.

I'd say your memory is quite good.
Thank you. Will never forget that. What she did defied physics!
Old 03-16-17, 12:33 PM
All District

From reading the media previews, these teams are very similar in terms of size, talent, and depth. Hiland almost always has a depth advantage, but not tonight, and state games have media timeouts and such that negate some of that advantage anyway. It will be two teams lining up and we will see who plays best. Should be a wonderful game.
Old 03-17-17, 09:35 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
What a crazy buzzer beater last night for Berlin Hiland to advance
Old 03-18-17, 12:57 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Third straight state finals game for Waterford. They start zero seniors. Go Waterford
Old 03-18-17, 03:07 PM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Hiland was putting on a clinic when I left...Hiland was up by 21...
Old 03-20-17, 08:19 AM
Freshman

High-school BB fan is on a distinguished road
Congrats Dave on Another State Title.
Old 03-20-17, 03:19 PM
All District

I went to the game. My thoughts and experiences.

Met some great Waterford fans on the shuttle. They were very optimistic. I wasn't as hopeful for them because I had read that they lost 4 seniors and two 1000 point scorers, and I knew the team they were facing was better and more experienced.

My buddy and I didn't have tickets, so we went to the ticket office and somehow got placed in the middle of the Waterford crowd. There were tons of seats in the Hiland section available, and we asked to be put there, but the girl just didn't get it done. So, we watched the first half in a sea of green. Both teams were nervous and it was like 9-6 Hiland after 1. Waterford has great fans. We were treated well, and had a lot of fun interacting with them, but felt out of place. One guy down below - maybe a parent - yelled, "You are the defending state champions! Play like it!" I thought, "But this isn't that team, and the other team is better than you today."

In the 2nd qtr. Hiland started asserting itself. Late in that qtr I felt Hiland had a chance to blow it open and win it right there, but they didn't, and held a 10 point lead at half.

We moved over to the Hiland side for the 2nd half, and the Lady Hawks blew it out pretty early. It was nice to watch the game totally relaxed. The outcome was never in doubt. Hiland's post player made a great play on a fast break when going toward the goal from the left side; the defender attacked her right hand, and she went around the back to her left hand and laid it up. You don't see many plays like that in girls basketball from guards, so to see a post player do it was pretty special.

During the postgame trophy presentation, Roxanne told the Lady Hawks that they had restored the "pride in the program". I took some offence to that. Punkin played varsity basketball 4 years (09-12), won 4 conference championships, 3 district titles, 3 regionals, and went to 3 state championship games. Her team lost all 3 of those games, but the pride in the program never left. What came and went was the level of talent. In 09 they led Africentric by 18 at half. AC gave no indication they could even score on Hiland. AC upped the pressure in the 2nd half, got momentum, and Hiland lost by 7. In 10, Hiland and Harvest Prep (who later had to vacate their title) were tied with 1 min to go, and our best players made some uncharacteristic mistakes, and we lost by 4. In 12 they played Arlington. Arlington had the Recker girls - one of whom was their best player. My daughter guarded her. She told me the night before that she felt like she could shut her down, and that the plan was to have the defenders guarding 2 kids who were averaging 2 and 3 ppg help her. At half that Recker girl had 0 points, and Hiland was down 16. The two Arlington kids averaging 5 points between them finished with 21, and we lost a game where the defensive game plan worked to perfection. Lol. But Arlington was the better overall team and we were trying to steal one. The 09 and 10 teams were uber talented, but ran into AC and HP - and we all know what that situation is/was.

Dave Schlabach has won a ton of games in a lot of different ways and with a lot of different teams of varying quality. The 2017 Hiland Lady Hawks would beat my daughter's 2012 version by 20-25 points.

My point is that weird things happen at state, but the better talent usually wins out. Dave has won that championship game with very talented teams in 2000, 05, 06, 08, and 17. But to me, the really amazing stat is 15 final 4 appearances and 10 championship game appearances. In the 5 champ games he lost, they weren't the better/more talented team, but most of those teams shouldn't have ever gotten there based on talent.

Dave coaches skills and develops players. He is able to take an average athlete and make them a good basketball player. Some of that is due to some pretty high end psychological techniques. That's why they have been to state 15 times. They have been champions when they had the talent, but in my mind, all those teams he took to state that had no business being there (based on talent) is his greatest achievement.

Walking out of the Schott I ran into a Waterford administrator. He congratulated me. I reminded him that I didn't play or coach. But I told him Waterford should feel fantastic. They lost almost all of the big contributors of their championship team, and made it all the way to the champ game with young, inexperienced players. I told him that, to me, the biggest achievement is to get to Cbus, and if you win a game or two, that's just the gravy. But IMO, the gravy comes when you have the best talent.
Old 03-20-17, 04:27 PM
Freshman

Gymschu is on a distinguished road
^^^^^Great post IVC guy. I enjoyed following the Lady Hawks from afar. Next season, my alma mater (Indian Valley) joins the IVC. Coach Emler has done a great job of turning things around at IV, but, I don't think the Lady Braves will be unseating the Lady Hawks anytime soon.
Old 03-20-17, 05:33 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
^^^^^Great post IVC guy. I enjoyed following the Lady Hawks from afar. Next season, my alma mater (Indian Valley) joins the IVC. Coach Emler has done a great job of turning things around at IV, but, I don't think the Lady Braves will be unseating the Lady Hawks anytime soon.
Welcome back to the IVC. IV has a history in the league, and, now, a chance to create some new history.

I root for all IVC teams, so I wish IV the best.

Beating Dave Schlabach is, as a mathematical matter, really hard to do. I tell people all the time, most girls programs are waiting for a special group of players to come along and make some noise. in our league, that has been everyone other than Hiland and Garaway. I have been on the brink of putting Malvern in that group, but I'm not sure Doug Wackerly is going to keep going. But Garaway, and esp Hiland, have built programs based on skill development.

If you don't have a great biddy ball program, run camps for little ones, have outstanding coaches in the junior high programs, and have a coach who will match Dave in terms of scouting, x's and o's, etc., get ready to lose a lot of games to Hiland. That's not a boast (I have zero to do with it), that's just reality.

I'm hopeful that the addition of the new schools will introduce better competition in the IVC. Hiland will welcome it.