Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-17, 08:32 AM
Freshman

The_Polish_German is on a distinguished road
Heavy Weight Lifting Growth Stunting Concerns?

It's that time of year again, where the men among boys hit the gym to put some massive meat on the bones. Serious concerns about the excessive heavy weight lifting have grown over the years; especially due to the strength of high school boys increasing with each generation. Premature heavy weightlifting stunts the growth of pubescent teenagers by 14% (livestrong.com), leading to forms of arthritis and other medical conditions later in life. Is it worth it? Any thoughts on the safety of our boys?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-17, 08:43 AM
All District

HSFB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polish_German View Post
It's that time of year again, where the men among boys hit the gym to put some massive meat on the bones. Serious concerns about the excessive heavy weight lifting have grown over the years; especially due to the strength of high school boys increasing with each generation. Premature heavy weightlifting stunts the growth of pubescent teenagers by 14% (livestrong.com), leading to forms of arthritis and other medical conditions later in life. Is it worth it? Any thoughts on the safety of our boys?
Where did you find this on this site? I looked and may have missed it.
Old 03-13-17, 12:54 PM
Varsity

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polish_German View Post
Did you actually read the article? It is an antiquated idea that proper weight training stunts growth, with the emphasis on proper. Quite frankly the safety of your team is at risk if the don't lift. A bigger and stronger opponet could injury one who isn't physically capable, not to mention the benefits of strength training to connective tissue and the joints. Prevention of injury should be paramount to any well thought out program.
Old 03-13-17, 03:34 PM
All Region

chito is on a distinguished road
Without lifing then some of these kids would grow up to be monsters. Growth stunting my azz.
Old 03-13-17, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chito View Post
Without lifing then some of these kids would grow up to be monsters. Growth stunting my azz.
Good Lord, St. Ed's offensive line would have averaged over 400 pounds without lifting!
Old 03-14-17, 08:14 AM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Just ask trainers and fighters in the MMA and UFC. Joe Rogan is a huge advocate against routine heavy lifting, his advice is to do more reps of 50-76% of your max, then wait 5-10 minutes. Giving your body time to recover and making sure your building up muscle not shredding them.
Old 03-14-17, 08:46 AM
Freshman

KratosFitness is on a distinguished road
Resistance training does not stunt growth. That is an outdated myth that is simply untrue. When programmed properly, resistance training will enhance performance and prevent injuries.

Trust me. I would know!
Old 03-14-17, 09:08 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Just ask trainers and fighters in the MMA and UFC. Joe Rogan is a huge advocate against routine heavy lifting, his advice is to do more reps of 50-76% of your max, then wait 5-10 minutes. Giving your body time to recover and making sure your building up muscle not shredding them.

Joe Rogan as a reference pertaining to what teenagers should be doing?

He's pro reverse aging (legally taking steroids)
Pro hallucinogen drugs to help open up your brains potential.

And his theory of lifting is based on the concept of being a endurance athlete that's fighting or grappling 5-10min multiple rounds with only 60second breaks inbetween another round. Of course explosive. Low rep lifting won't fit into that style of competing.
Old 03-14-17, 10:04 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
I didn't think these people still existed
Old 03-15-17, 06:05 AM
All District

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been thinking about this subject for a while now.It's true that if these boys don't start young,say 13 or 14,that they will get drilled by opponents that do.I don't believe that it will affect your growth development or physically harm these boys in any way. Starting them young will accelerate their strength and performance. Sounds great right?
But nobody cares when these boys become adults and have knee hip and shoulder problems. The truth is that the human body simple cannot withstand the kind of beating that deadlifting,squatting and pressing require.these atheletes pay as they age.the sooner they start the sooner their problems will begin later in life.
This is my perspective after being a fitness instructor for 20 some years.Just last week I saw a stark county legendary running back who went onto play in the NFL.This gentleman was only sixty but couldn't even walk without a cane
.Every day I see the 30/40 year old guys who can't sleep on their shoulders because of heavy benching. So I don't know???,do we want great overpowering young athletes or should we be concerned about them as they age....muscles are fleeting but your joints are for the rest of your life.
Old 03-15-17, 09:52 AM
Freshman

KratosFitness is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup pounder View Post
But nobody cares when these boys become adults and have knee hip and shoulder problems. The truth is that the human body simple cannot withstand the kind of beating that deadlifting,squatting and pressing require.these atheletes pay as they age.the sooner they start the sooner their problems will begin later in life.
This is my perspective after being a fitness instructor for 20 some years.Just last week I saw a stark county legendary running back who went onto play in the NFL.This gentleman was only sixty but couldn't even walk without a cane
.Every day I see the 30/40 year old guys who can't sleep on their shoulders because of heavy benching. So I don't know???,do we want great overpowering young athletes or should we be concerned about them as they age....muscles are fleeting but your joints are for the rest of your life.
Injuries like that have way more to do with the beatings the body takes from the actual sport. Running full speed into another human (who is also running full speed) over and over, year after year will cause WAY more damage than any kind of properly executed exercise.

Yes, you can get injured lifting when it's not performed/programmed properly (or if you're a strength sport athlete pushing their body to its absolute limit, but that's a different topic). The key is proper execution with both technique and programming.

That's why all athletes should have a qualified coach training them, not their sport coach who used to lift weights in their basement back in the 80s.
Old 03-16-17, 06:11 AM
All District

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
Sure the velocity of the sport of football takes its toll on the body.The repetitive pounding of heavy weights does it's damage as well, regardless of the precision of their form and structure of their workout.God designed these bodies to get us through 75/85 years of normal activitys.To many elderly athletes are suffering skeletal structural damage as a result of what brought them joy in their youth. Am I saying don't workout? Absolutely not.workout smart,continually doing a variety of activities.as we age the less impact the better.Do I think 12/13 year olds should be doing power lifting? NO...Do I like to watch my Jr. High team's win ????.I don't know folks,you make the call.
Old 03-30-17, 02:35 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Our school, Coldwater, does not have any football lifting for their kids until January after their 8th grade football seasons. I know some local schools start their kids prior to 7th grade. They also don't start football until their 7th grade season and don't have midget/pee wee football. The numbers in JH are phenomenal and I think much of it has to do with 1, the success of the HS program, and 2 the kids not starting football too early and getting burned out/fear of being behind the kids who did start playing at the pee wee levels.

If its not broke........
Old 03-30-17, 01:33 PM
Freshman

Fball is on a distinguished road
http://startingstrength.com/article/...ifting-weights

Here's an article advocating for weight training at a younger age. I recommend reading it.
Old 03-30-17, 03:16 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fball View Post
http://startingstrength.com/article/...ifting-weights

Here's an article advocating for weight training at a younger age. I recommend reading it.
Not impressed. Yes, of course physical exercise (or farm chores, lol) is better than sitting on the couch, duh. Playing sports or being active in general is all that kids need. You can accomplish as much if not more with pushups, pullups, running, calisthenics, and you don't need an expert trainer, warning labels, or risk of injury. By High School yes, but as has been pointed out, technique and program are very important and probably not being done properly by most, and especially not by kids.
Old 03-30-17, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
This was a fallacy back in the late 80s
Old 03-30-17, 04:35 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Now I know why I'm not 6'10".

:>---

GT-350
Old 03-31-17, 08:01 AM
All District