Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-17, 02:33 PM
Freshman

coachmyers_gutcheck is on a distinguished road
Strength Training for Wrestlers

My name is Dustin Myers and I am the Strength & Conditioning Coach for the Ohio Regional Training Center at Ohio State, and the founder of The Old School Gym. I have helped train wrestlers at every level of the sport - from youth to the Olympic Games and have developed a proven system that will get your wrestlers strong where it matters - on the mat - and in peak condition when they need it most. The season has just ended but before you know it, fall will be here and if you wait until then to start thinking about the strength of your team it will be too little, too late. My new E-Book “Strength & Conditioning for Wrestling: Off-Season Edition” will teach you everything you need to help your athletes make serious gains in strength during this off season. This edition includes:

*Intro to post season programming/ philosophy
*Dynamic Warm up
*23 Week post season strength plan [mid-March - August]
*weeks 1-2 Acclimation [focus: transition to weight training after season ends]
*weeks 3-6 Bodybuilding [focus: hypertrophy, volume, weight gain]
*weeks 7-12 Power Phase 1 [focus: Strength]
*week 13 De-load week - rest/recovery
*weeks 14-19 Power Phase 2 [focus: Strength & Speed]
*weeks 20-23 Power Performance [focus: sport specific strength, functional conditioning]
*Exercise Library
*Conditioning Schedule/philosophy for off season
*How to fix common strength deficiencies - 4 new positions and fixes
Riding Legs
Underhook Position
Wrist/Hand Control
Holding the center of the mat
*Nutrition Strategy for the post-season
*Unorthodox Summer Workouts
*Technique articles:
Slow Rep Double Down
Misdirection Method
Rep Hold Method
1/4 rep pause method
Cluster Method
How to attach bands for speed work
*5 strength factors crucial to wrestling

Order here:
https://oldschoolgym.com/products/st...y-dustin-myers

Please comment with any questions!

“I highly recommend Coach Myers’ Strength and Conditioning plan. I have known him since coming to OSU and he has helped me and countless elite athletes reach their goals on the mat through improving their strength and endurance. If you are looking to take your wrestling to the next level this is the book you need.”
- Logan Stieber, 2016 World Champion, 4 x NCAA Champion, 4 x Big10 Champion

“Whether I was cutting weight for 61kg or bulking up for 65kg, Coach Myers had my strength at an all time high! I’ve never felt stronger and more conditioned on the mat.”
-Reece Humphrey, 3 x US Open Champ, 3 x USA Wrestling World Team

“Coach Myers has found a good mix of toughness and science. He has created a great system that allows wrestlers to make functional and sport specific strength gains”
-Tervel Dlagnev, 2 x Olympian, World Bronze Medalist
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-17, 04:42 PM
Freshman

viking152 is on a distinguished road
Strength Training for Wrestlers

I just purchased this book the other day and have read it front to back. It's a really great program and I think will make a huge impact on my 14 year old who is ready to get serious about strength training.

In full disclosure, I have a degree in exercise science and have been a personal trainer for 3 years. This is a really well laid out program and very sport specific. I would've charged hundreds more for this if I were to write it for a client so it's a steal at this price (and I didn't have to spend hours upon hours doing it myself).

On a side note, went to the high school finals last night and strength is a separator in this age when the skill level is so high.

Thanks Dustin!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-17, 05:17 PM
All Region

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
I bought also for my 14 year old.......very good program
Old 03-12-17, 06:31 PM
Freshman

Thank you! I appreciate it and I'm glad you like the program. As you said, strength is a HUGE factor in the sport, especially at the HS level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking152 View Post
I just purchased this book the other day and have read it front to back. It's a really great program and I think will make a huge impact on my 14 year old who is ready to get serious about strength training.

In full disclosure, I have a degree in exercise science and have been a personal trainer for 3 years. This is a really well laid out program and very sport specific. I would've charged hundreds more for this if I were to write it for a client so it's a steal at this price (and I didn't have to spend hours upon hours doing it myself).

On a side note, went to the high school finals last night and strength is a separator in this age when the skill level is so high.

Thanks Dustin!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-17, 06:32 PM
Freshman

Great! It will be a difference maker for your son. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by severs0801 View Post
I bought also for my 14 year old.......very good program
Old 03-12-17, 07:53 PM
All Region

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmyers_gutcheck View Post
Great! It will be a difference maker for your son. Good luck!
Do you remember Mike Smith "Smitty"....he told me years ago to look you up. My son started off wrestling at his place in Steubenville.
Old 03-13-17, 08:00 AM
Freshman

Of course! Smitty is a good friend, we go way back. Tremendous coach as well so I'm sure your son got a great base starting out at the old Next Level gym with him
Quote:
Originally Posted by severs0801 View Post
Do you remember Mike Smith "Smitty"....he told me years ago to look you up. My son started off wrestling at his place in Steubenville.
Old 03-13-17, 08:06 AM
Varsity

CoachJules is on a distinguished road
Started the acclimation phase last week for my non-state qualifiers, they love it so far, even got some football players asking if they could join us. Love the whole layout the workouts and how sport specific it is as well as the conditioning section that I think is always overlooked in offseason training.
Old 03-13-17, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

88 Indian is on a distinguished road
What age do you recommend for starting this program?
Old 03-13-17, 09:17 AM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
Never to early! Dustin will make sure the kids get what they need, lots of body weight exercises! my son was 12 when he first entered old school gym not even close to puberty, most of the stuff he did didnt even have weights or was very light, lots of body stuff. Best thing that ever happen to him for strength conditioning and stretching exercises! Even being away from Dustin the system and technique he learned stuck to him! I will tell you this, being at the gym with Dustin is much more efficient as D always gets the most out of the kids! Thanks Coach!
Old 03-13-17, 10:13 AM
Freshman

dmean76 is on a distinguished road
Is there a paper copy available?
Old 03-13-17, 08:38 PM
Freshman

Digital download only. Reason being there are a few live links to youtube videos demonstrating technique and set up for speed work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmean76 View Post
Is there a paper copy available?
Old 03-13-17, 08:39 PM
Freshman

Thank you Tony, I'm very proud of Brakan. Congrats again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkability View Post
Never to early! Dustin will make sure the kids get what they need, lots of body weight exercises! my son was 12 when he first entered old school gym not even close to puberty, most of the stuff he did didnt even have weights or was very light, lots of body stuff. Best thing that ever happen to him for strength conditioning and stretching exercises! Even being away from Dustin the system and technique he learned stuck to him! I will tell you this, being at the gym with Dustin is much more efficient as D always gets the most out of the kids! Thanks Coach!
Old 03-13-17, 08:40 PM
Freshman

It is a pretty advanced plan so I would recommend puberty 12-13 as a good starting point. You could streamline it for younger athletes. I am releasing a youth training manual in July or August

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Indian View Post
What age do you recommend for starting this program?
Old 03-13-17, 08:43 PM
Freshman

Thank you for the feedback. If they are loving the acclimation workouts, just wait until you get to the good stuff! It will be a game changer for your team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJules View Post
Started the acclimation phase last week for my non-state qualifiers, they love it so far, even got some football players asking if they could join us. Love the whole layout the workouts and how sport specific it is as well as the conditioning section that I think is always overlooked in offseason training.
Old 03-14-17, 08:33 PM
Freshman

If anyone has questions, feel free to comment.

For a glimpse into my training style check out my Instagram page @coachmyers_gutcheck I feature a lot of tips for wrestlers and my workouts from the Ohio RTC and OSG
Old 03-19-17, 04:47 PM
Freshman

Tony it was great seeing you guys in St Louis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkability View Post
Old 03-22-17, 08:19 AM
All District

mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
Coach Myers. You have a Private Message.
Old 03-22-17, 09:25 AM
Varsity

jopfer is on a distinguished road
Our wrestlers are on week 2 of it and love it. Great format for our beginners and experienced guys.
Old 03-22-17, 10:39 AM
Freshman

Just responded! Good luck with the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroosevelt View Post
Coach Myers. You have a Private Message.
Old 03-23-17, 12:32 PM
Freshman

awesome coach let me know if you have any questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopfer View Post
Our wrestlers are on week 2 of it and love it. Great format for our beginners and experienced guys.
Old 03-29-17, 12:50 PM
Freshman

Coach03 is on a distinguished road
Hey Coach, my big question is supplementation. Our school nutritionist is anti-everything supplements and specifically creatine.. Most of our kids get a good whey protein with BCAA's, omega 3 fish oils, glutamine, and creatine monohydrate. I give them some dietary guidelines with lots of proteins, vegetables, and plenty of H2O. I get asked all the time by parents about supplements though, just wondering your thoughts on the matter

Thanks!
Old 03-29-17, 08:44 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Coach03: that is an excellent question! I'm excited to read OSG's answer. I assume I know what it will be but can't wait to read. Great question!
Old 04-07-17, 09:00 AM
Junior Varsity

CoachMorgan is on a distinguished road
Just a little testimonial. I have had one kid on my wrestling team truly commit to this program. He has been lifting for the past year so he was ready to attack this program from the start. Since the end of wrestling season he has already gained 12 pounds of all muscle. The beginning body building phase has worked tremendously for him. He wrestled 152 for us last year and weighed about 150 naturally with less than 5% body fat. We're projecting him as a 182 for next season and haven't seen any increase in body fat %. This program works if you do it right. I am doing it along with my wrestlers and am really looking forward to the power phases that we'll go through this summer.
Old 04-23-17, 06:54 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach03 View Post
Hey Coach, my big question is supplementation. Our school nutritionist is anti-everything supplements and specifically creatine.. Most of our kids get a good whey protein with BCAA's, omega 3 fish oils, glutamine, and creatine monohydrate. I give them some dietary guidelines with lots of proteins, vegetables, and plenty of H2O. I get asked all the time by parents about supplements though, just wondering your thoughts on the matter

Thanks!
In an ideal situation an athlete will get most of what their body needs thru a perfect diet. Since that is usually not realistic, and in the case of athletes that are doing intensive training (wrestling, lifting, etc.) some supplementation is probably necessary. I recommend Protein and a Post Workout recovery with both BCAA and Glutamine (both by Max Effort Muscle) for my athletes. Fish Oil is good but I am big on including coconut oil and olive oil in their regular diet (as well as actual high fat fish such as salmon). So basically I would say that you are right on the money!
Old 04-23-17, 06:56 PM
Freshman

just a heads up - my website now offers a free chapter/preview of my Off Season Strength book. Preview includes bio, Intro to postseason philosophy, and exercise index preview. Check it out:
http://ebooks.oldschoolgym.com/ebook4/
Old 04-27-17, 08:55 AM
Freshman

That is awesome coach! If you can get all of your kids to buy in they will be a different team next year. Keep getting after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachMorgan View Post
Just a little testimonial. I have had one kid on my wrestling team truly commit to this program. He has been lifting for the past year so he was ready to attack this program from the start. Since the end of wrestling season he has already gained 12 pounds of all muscle. The beginning body building phase has worked tremendously for him. He wrestled 152 for us last year and weighed about 150 naturally with less than 5% body fat. We're projecting him as a 182 for next season and haven't seen any increase in body fat %. This program works if you do it right. I am doing it along with my wrestlers and am really looking forward to the power phases that we'll go through this summer.
Old 04-27-17, 01:05 PM
All Region

BACKBEND is on a distinguished road
Do you have a group of wrestlers that lift with you in the summer ?
Old 04-27-17, 02:16 PM
Freshman

Yes but as of now the summer group is full. Email me dustin@oldschoolgym.com if you have an athlete that would like to be added to the wait list. It's possible that I will add a second group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBEND View Post
Do you have a group of wrestlers that lift with you in the summer ?
Old 04-28-17, 10:14 AM
All Region

BACKBEND is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmyers_gutcheck View Post
Yes but as of now the summer group is full. Email me dustin@oldschoolgym.com if you have an athlete that would like to be added to the wait list. It's possible that I will add a second group.
Thank You !