Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: Toledo St Johns Jesuit (24-2) vs Elyria (21-4)
Toledo St Johns Jesuit 18 66.67%
Elyria 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-17, 12:12 PM
Varsity

PattyJacks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gully View Post
The no call was terrible. The 2 three's that Antonio Blanton hit in the last minute from 30 feet were unreal. Tough break but SJJ was really not that impressive. Vincent Williams was good [not better than Naz] and 24 was shooting his brains out. Not sure who is not their league but they didn't look 24-2. Maybe Elyria just played them well. Great game anyway. Best I've seen in a few years.
Were you watching the same Williams I was? He dominated both ends of the floor.
Old 03-16-17, 12:20 PM
Junior Varsity

TribeBuckeyeFan is on a distinguished road
Williams is good, but he definitely is not as good as Bohannon, not even close. I think he gives the illusion of being dominant because the rest of the team plays away from the basket so much.
Old 03-16-17, 12:29 PM
All American

ToledoXC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeBuckeyeFan View Post
Williams is good, but he definitely is not as good as Bohannon, not even close. I think he gives the illusion of being dominant because the rest of the team plays away from the basket so much.
The dude leads the #5 team in the state in scoring, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals while shooting over 50/40/70 splits. He's reallly damn good.
Old 03-16-17, 12:33 PM
Junior Varsity

Yes he is, but IMHO, they aren't a #5 team. Their SoS is basically the same as Lorain's, lower than Elyria's, and lower than every other team with the exception of Newark that is ranked ahead of them, per MaxPreps. Don't know what will happen if they should play Medina, but if they play Jackson (and I've never seen them play), I think Jackson will beat them handily. He is good, not saying he isn't talented, but the rest of the team is nowhere near his level, which is why he leads them in every category. In Bohannon, he truly is dominant, and the rest of his team is in the "very good" category as well.
Old 03-16-17, 12:38 PM
All American

ToledoXC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes he is, but IMHO, they aren't a #5 team. Their SoS is basically the same as Lorain's, lower than Elyria's, and lower than every other team with the exception of Newark that is ranked ahead of them, per MaxPreps. Don't know what will happen if they should play Medina, but if they play Jackson (and I've never seen them play), I think Jackson will beat them handily. He is good, not saying he isn't talented, but the rest of the team is nowhere near his level, which is why he leads them in every category. In Bohannon, he truly is dominant, and the rest of his team is in the "very good" category as well.
SJJ beat St. Eds by double digits at Eds, show me a win on Lorain or Elyria's schedules even close to as good as that. They have 2 D1 guys and their point guard is going to Lake Erie. I guess this will work itself out on Saturday.
Old 03-16-17, 12:57 PM
Junior Varsity

A very good win, no doubt. The also had wins against Lima CC (5-18), Ross (7-19), Scott (8-21), Clay (3-18), and Rogers (8-12). Like I said, their SoS is not impressive for a team that is ranked so high. It appears that they have rode one win against another ranked team, then blowout wins against much lesser schools. In any event, they got the W, good luck to them in the next round, but I personally don't see that they are so great.
Old 03-16-17, 01:23 PM
All District

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOVSTW419 View Post
There were also over 31 minutes of other game action that went into deciding the outcome, thats sports, sometimes youre flush and sometimes youre bust. Complaining about it afterward is just as poor if not worse as the judgement of the official to not blow a whistle in a sure foul situation. Set an example for kids and move on the best way you can.

The officials doing regional games are there for a reason. The best ref in NW Ohio was watching a game last night in BG. Not sure how they get selected. Im positive the refs will be able to look themselves in the mirror. No official Ive ever met or worked with has intentionally boned a team.
What those 31 minutes showed is that the final play would decide the game; and then it didn't! You obviously haven't put the time and effort in with a group of kids like these coaches have. This was a travesty! Conscious decision or not; a joke! I would also disagree with your last statement; changing the way the game is called is boning the kids!
Old 03-16-17, 01:46 PM
Junior Varsity

OHIOVSTW419 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
What those 31 minutes showed is that the final play would decide the game; and then it didn't! You obviously haven't put the time and effort in with a group of kids like these coaches have. This was a travesty! Conscious decision or not; a joke! I would also disagree with your last statement; changing the way the game is called is boning the kids!
Youre entitled to your opinion. Im not sure how much time and effort has been put into this group, but basing my history with coaching groups of kids, off of a post is rather absurd. Ive put in my share of years, mostly free of charge since you seem to be curious about my coaching history.
Old 03-16-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOVSTW419 View Post
There were also over 31 minutes of other game action that went into deciding the outcome, thats sports, sometimes youre flush and sometimes youre bust. Complaining about it afterward is just as poor if not worse as the judgement of the official to not blow a whistle in a sure foul situation. Set an example for kids and move on the best way you can.

The officials doing regional games are there for a reason. The best ref in NW Ohio was watching a game last night in BG. Not sure how they get selected. Im positive the refs will be able to look themselves in the mirror. No official Ive ever met or worked with has intentionally boned a team.

You're stretching so far, your anus is showing.

Up only one, NO player commits that foul to put an opposing player on the line with a chance to win the game...at the line?

Credit to the kid, he's rather calm while committing that foul, a foul that would normally come from someone challenging the basket as opposed to the advance to the basket.

I don't think I've ever seen that foul, a reach around front; not side, not low, but top down...

I don't trust that call/non-call no way no how, regardless the refs were from out of town. It's not "part of the game" as you imply. It's an embarrassment. The other 31 minutes are irrelevant, both teams deserve the game to be decided after all minutes and seconds have been played, not at T miunus 1.6. Tactics in game are not predicted based upon the eventuality that this sort of thing could be engineered.

This was distasteful.
Old 03-16-17, 04:43 PM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
No matter the viewpoint that's a foul. A CCHS kid fouled a SFS kid down three under a minute to go and it was called intentional foul because it was from behind.
Old 03-16-17, 05:33 PM
Junior Varsity

penalt is on a distinguished road
Nice win St. Johns....a lot of unforced turnovers though, need to play better on O Saturday night to have a chance to move on.
Old 03-16-17, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

Depends upon your definition of "better." I'm going on a limb to think SJJ can't run with Jackson, who just stomped Elyria's league partner, right?

Hey Ed! (cough Barton them cough)

Should be interesting. Sometimes Ed's teams do better from the u-dog spot. In this one, looks like they might be more the fire hydrant.
Old 03-16-17, 10:40 PM
All District

Mike Gully is on a distinguished road
I'm just saying that he was good but he wasn't as good as people on yappi claimed. I didn't get one of those "damn" moments during the game. Good player though.
Old 03-16-17, 11:52 PM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
No matter what you guys might think, or how he played the other night, Vince is the best player in Northwest Ohio by far, he's a first team Ohio kid and he's a future Mr. basketball.
Old 03-17-17, 05:50 AM
Junior Varsity

sportsauthority101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Eds thumped Lorain at Lorain and SJJ beat Eds at Eds. Without seeing the game, my suspicion is SJJ didn't play their best. Take away the 2 30' bombs and SJJ making FT's as they normally do, it's a 10-12 pt. win. SJJ controlled the entire game. Give Elyria credit though, they battled. In 10 games, Elyria would beat SJJ 1-2x's maybe. I'll take SJJ +15 if anyone thks MJ will blow them out?

Dude, Bohannon dominates the glass and paint vs. small teams and non-disciplined teams. He can't shoot at all and Williams can. He can't hit a pull up and Williams can. If I'm not mistaken, Bohannon was a no-show vs. Eds the last 2 years. Getting 30 vs. Maple Hts., Warr. Hts, Cleve. Hts, etc is not dominate. Elyria stymied Lorain w/ a zone because they're a bunch of layup makers. Dominate is when you have all aspects of the game me friend!
Old 03-17-17, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsauthority101 View Post
Dude, Bohannon dominates the glass and paint vs. small teams and non-disciplined teams. He can't shoot at all and Williams can. He can't hit a pull up and Williams can. If I'm not mistaken, Bohannon was a no-show vs. Eds the last 2 years. Getting 30 vs. Maple Hts., Warr. Hts, Cleve. Hts, etc is not dominate. Elyria stymied Lorain w/ a zone because they're a bunch of layup makers. Dominate is when you have all aspects of the game me friend!
Sounds like the Loving vs. Hayes discussions of years ago. Maybe best let see their roles in college. High school roles could be, doing what the team needs. It's usually possible by those with brains and class, to promote their own without diminishing the other. You being from Lorain county, I can see how you might have a bias against an Elyria player but how often did someone from Wellington see Williams play?

The future will decide. Hopefully bright for both.
Old 03-17-17, 09:33 AM
All District

Curious One is on a distinguished road
http://panos.davidrichardphotography.com/elyria2.gif

Check out this sequence of photos of the last 6seconds. Hard to believe it's not a foul!
Old 03-17-17, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
http://panos.davidrichardphotography.com/elyria2.gif

Check out this sequence of photos of the last 6seconds. Hard to believe it's not a foul!

I think the debate on that ended a couple pages ago. Only question remaining is "how was it 'missed?'" Like that Vandy game where the player made the intentional, only the poor SJJ player couldn't get his called.
Old 03-17-17, 04:44 PM
Junior Varsity

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
No matter what you guys might think, or how he played the other night, Vince is the best player in Northwest Ohio by far, he's a first team Ohio kid and he's a future Mr. basketball.
I agree with this 100%. Not only does he dominate, but doesn't look like he is breaking a sweat doing it. Solid fundamentals, great footwork. If the voters remain objective (I think we get a raw deal up in Toledo sometimes), he will definitely be in the running for Mr. Basketball.

Here's a thought: Dalonte Brown from Bowsher was originally at St. Johns as a freshman. Now he signed an LOI to Miami, but If he had stayed at St Johns, he would have been learning for the past four years. How good a high school player could he have been under Coach Heintschel...?
Old 03-17-17, 05:18 PM
All Yappi

Hey look! William's Dad made an account. Welcome to Yappi.

Re: Dalonte Brown has what to do with the discussion? SJJ, when they're not tossing aside players, teachers, Principals and school leaders (three in how many years) has a good record of taking high DI's and turning them into mid-majors. Your presumption that he would have had more opportunity to "learn" at SJJ is silly and though Miami no great shakes lately in the b-ball dept. (though soon to be new coaches all around), Brown did get enrolled into a public ivy so again, what point were you trying to make?
Old 03-17-17, 10:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Hey look! William's Dad made an account. Welcome to Yappi.

Re: Dalonte Brown has what to do with the discussion? SJJ, when they're not tossing aside players, teachers, Principals and school leaders (three in how many years) has a good record of taking high DI's and turning them into mid-majors. Your presumption that he would have had more opportunity to "learn" at SJJ is silly and though Miami no great shakes lately in the b-ball dept. (though soon to be new coaches all around), Brown did get enrolled into a public ivy so again, what point were you trying to make?
I'm no kin to Williams and am a big City league fan. I'm just talking hoops and if you have a difference of opinion, it's all good. I first saw Dalonte play as an 8th grader but never realized that he started at St Johns. That's why I brought him up, I figured other people may not have known that either.

Since we are talking about it though: Williams owned Brown and the rest of Bowsher Saturday night. Maybe it's the kid, maybe it's the coaching. But it was apparent in the game that Williams gets a ton more out of his game than Brown does, though I think Brown has a tremendous (and possibly higher) upside. If you didn't see Brown get thoroughly outplayed Saturday night, you either weren't watching or didn't want to see it. I thought the 5th foul was a phantom call, but otherwise Williams just dominated.

For a kid from Toledo to get a scholarship is a great thing for him and the city and as you said he is heading to a very good school. But that doesn't mean he has fulfillled his true potential. If you think going to SJJ wouldn't have made a difference, so be it. When I look at Browns game and consider the dimensions of it that he has yet to develop, the sky is the limit. Hopefully the new coach at Miami will help him develop, especially his footwork. That to me is the biggest difference between him and Williams. I think nearly every other phase of the game Brown is equal to or better than Williams, but there is no comparing their footwork. Williams gets where he wants on the floor when he wants with a minimum number of steps. Brown is the polar opposite.

Though Bowsher had a good season, I felt like they had the talent to go to state. I'm still wondering why Rob Brown left. But this whole discussion belongs on a different thread and I don't know how to move it.
Old 03-18-17, 07:42 AM
Junior Varsity

sportsauthority101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Sounds like the Loving vs. Hayes discussions of years ago. Maybe best let see their roles in college. High school roles could be, doing what the team needs. It's usually possible by those with brains and class, to promote their own without diminishing the other. You being from Lorain county, I can see how you might have a bias against an Elyria player but how often did someone from Wellington see Williams play?

The future will decide. Hopefully bright for both.
My suggestion for you is quit trying to guess who everyone is on here as you are now 0-2. Lol...Basketball isn't Volleyball - NO HS basketball player plays out of position to help his team, this is nonsense. If you are a shooter, you'll shoot it. Especially in games where teams crowd the paint and dare you to shoot. 98% of Bohannon's baskets are in the paint - there's a reason for that and it's not because he's posting ppl up on the block!
Old 03-18-17, 09:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
I'm no kin to Williams and am a big City league fan. .
It's a common joke response here when someone's first post is to rave about a player (or bang on refs). Don't take too seriously. Welcome to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post

For a kid from Toledo to get a scholarship is a great thing for him ... I'm still wondering why Rob Brown left. But this whole discussion belongs on a different thread and I don't know how to move it.
You'd get a difference of opinion on whether the personal life of a kid belongs on any thread.
Old 03-18-17, 10:48 AM
Junior Varsity

Ok, cool. I get the joke now.

As far as both Browns, I wasn't trying to comment personally about either one. Not my style to knock a kids personal life, I'm for building them up as people.

I've been watching basketball around Toledo for some time, but pretty much all by myself. I'm that odd guy sitting in the wrong section wearing the wrong color not really cheering. I just love hoops. I'm guessing there are lots of backstories that I wouldn't know about. If I ventured into the personal somehow(even unintentionally), I'm happy to let it die on the vine.
Old 03-18-17, 05:40 PM
All Yappi

While Williams may (or may not) be a "one-man-army" I would struggle to believe St Ed's was beaten so soundly by anyone's one man army, be it Williams or be it a high school player the caliber of Jackson or James. They couldn't do it, neither could he.

There's more to that team then one player. The players will match up if played correctly. It will be a coach's game.