Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-14-17, 07:56 AM
CatAlum CatAlum is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,606
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
It will be a very rare hs sporting event these days that requires more than 6500 seats...including the vast majority of football playoff games. Looks interesting to me. At a place like Euclid High, there's a lot of downside to a whole additional building for weights, lockers, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-14-17, 12:34 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 3,174
Sykotyk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
It will be a very rare hs sporting event these days that requires more than 6500 seats...including the vast majority of football playoff games. Looks interesting to me. At a place like Euclid High, there's a lot of downside to a whole additional building for weights, lockers, etc.
A 6500 seat bleacher stadium probably holds about 4,000 and be considered 'packed'. The capacity is just calculated on dividing the benches by 18 inches or so. Though most people are going to allot 24 inches to their personal space minimum. So, even a 'full stadium' never comes close to capacity with general admission.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-14-17, 03:29 PM
Cali_Eagle Cali_Eagle is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-29-16
Posts: 253
Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
I sure hope they get this right, because the way Euclid is generally trending they aren't likely to get another good shot at this, maybe ever.

I know the school and district are a lot smaller than they were from the 1960's peak. So a 6500 seat new stadium probably won't ever be strained for capacity although if what Sykotyk says is true (and I don't doubt that it is) the real capacity will be maybe 4500 or so, maybe even less.

I would prefer they renovate DiBiasio Stadium as the main football field, not just for tradition, but for capacity. I recall when it used to have end zone bleachers for seating on the Tracy side and I believe it had bleachers for the band on the Westport / Scoreboard side at that time as well. Capacity was purported to be between 9000 and 10000 depending on whose figure was used.

The record crowd was probably the 1970 matchup between the St Joe Vikings and the Euclid Panthers. St Joe was 10-0 in 1969 & came in as defending Crown Conference and "City" champs (No. 1 in 1969 Press and Plain Dealer First 50 rankings). Euclid was coming in off an LEL Title season and had just had the best team in their history at 9-1 with the loss being to the Vikings. Euclid was the pre-season title favorite in the LEL by all the Cleveland and other local papers.

The crowd for the game was estimated later at 12000 to 13000. No one really knows how many were there, but it was a madhouse, with people sitting and standing everywhere they could be placed. Euclid won 16-14 but lost 3 starting backs for the season in the victory and finished 7-3. Shaw won the LEL title. I don't recall St Joe's final record that season but I'd bet it was pretty good. EDIT: St Joe finished 8-2 in 1970 and was Crown Conference co-champs. Thanx to info provided in the Yappi Records Project by C'town216.

With the ongoing decline in interest, participation and parental involvement in High School sports (as discussed on the Yappi thread currently on page 1, near this one) plus the decline of Euclid's general population and it's student population, I doubt Euclid will ever see another crowd like that one in 1970. They would have to host a St I - St Ed playoff matchup or some similar matchup of high interest. With a new 6500 seat bleacher stadium it's unlikely any big playoff matchup will ever be played there like a Regional Final. At least not a D1 or D2 Final anyway.

Last edited by Cali_Eagle; 03-14-17 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add St Joe's 1970 record in.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-14-17, 03:53 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 3,174
Sykotyk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
I sure hope they get this right, because the way Euclid is generally trending they aren't likely to get another good shot at this, maybe ever.

I know the school and district are a lot smaller than they were from the 1960's peak. So a 6500 seat new stadium probably won't ever be strained for capacity although if what Sykotyk says is true (and I don't doubt that it is) the real capacity will be maybe 4500 or so, maybe even less.

I would prefer they renovate DiBiasio Stadium as the main football field, not just for tradition, but for capacity. I recall when it used to have end zone bleachers for seating on the Tracy side and I believe it had bleachers for the band on the Westport / Scoreboard side at that time as well. Capacity was purported to be between 9000 and 10000 depending on whose figure was used.

The record crowd was probably the 1970 matchup between the St Joe Vikings and the Euclid Panthers. St Joe was 10-0 in 1969 & came in as defending Crown Conference and "City" champs (No. 1 in 1969 Press and Plain Dealer First 50 rankings). Euclid was coming in off an LEL Title season and had just had the best team in their history at 9-1 with the loss being to the Vikings. Euclid was the pre-season title favorite in the LEL by all the Cleveland and other local papers.

The crowd for the game was estimated later at 12000 to 13000. No one really knows how many were there, but it was a madhouse, with people sitting and standing everywhere they could be placed. Euclid won 16-14 but lost 3 starting backs for the season in the victory and finished 7-3. Shaw won the LEL title. I don't recall St Joe's final record that season but I'd bet it was pretty good.

With the ongoing decline in interest, participation and parental involvement in High School sports (as discussed on the Yappi thread currently on page 1, near this one) plus the decline of Euclid's general population and it's student population, I doubt Euclid will ever see another crowd like that one in 1970. They would have to host a St I - St Ed playoff matchup or some similar matchup of high interest. With a new 6500 seat bleacher stadium it's unlikely any big playoff matchup will ever be played there like a Regional Final. At least not a D1 or D2 Final anyway.
Yeah, at 6,500 stated capacity, D3 is about the highest level of playoff game they'd probably be able to host as a neutral site. The bigger D2 and D1 playoffs would go to elsewhere as there's not a lot of options

I'm guessing the field house is the issue with the old stadium not being rebuilt. Save a lot of money by just using the school for locker rooms. And rebuilding/refurbishing the old stadium probably costs a lot and the stadium is quite tall but narrow if you take out the two smaller stands on the ends. AND to bring it up to ADA compliance, putting in proper railings and suitable width stairways, it just isn't that feasible to upgrade.

Look at Steubenville, as they redo Harding Stadium, it's basically a complete rebuilt for each section because ADA just can't handle those small stairways. And with an aging population, you need railings.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-14-17, 04:53 PM
Cali_Eagle Cali_Eagle is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-29-16
Posts: 253
Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I'm guessing the field house is the issue with the old stadium not being rebuilt. Save a lot of money by just using the school for locker rooms. And rebuilding/refurbishing the old stadium probably costs a lot and the stadium is quite tall but narrow if you take out the two smaller stands on the ends. AND to bring it up to ADA compliance, putting in proper railings and suitable width stairways, it just isn't that feasible to upgrade.

Look at Steubenville, as they redo Harding Stadium, it's basically a complete rebuilt for each section because ADA just can't handle those small stairways. And with an aging population, you need railings.
The gym will be right near the new stadium and I know the locker room I used for gym classes when attending HS (assuming all is as it was, which may be inaccurate) was very large. IDK what locker room visiting basketball teams used and how big it was. Football locker rooms both home and visitor were always below the main stands and pressbox at DiBiasio Stadium. Presumably those will be gone.

Never thought about ADA compliance but I can see where that would throw a major expensive monkey wrench into plans to renovate DiBiasio, which is a very old stadium. Plus in reading the new plans at the ECS site, it's clear that expense is playing a part in this (as it should). Losing the fieldhouse should save a lot of money, how badly it was really needed, I do not know. Would have been nice to have had it, but I'm sure a way will be found without it.

Had to laugh about them preserving the trees by the Ice Arena when the original articles about the early plans stated the consulted arborists had said they HAD to be torn down lol. I haven't seen them in years but from what I recall of them, it would be a shame to tear them down unless they are diseased or sick or dead.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-16-17, 09:10 AM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,275
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Euclid's DiBiasio Stadium renovations

Looking at the layout for the new stadium, the best example of the layout to use is Allen Eagle Stadium in Texas minus the upperdeck and other features the stadium have. It will for sure be interesting and a lot to get used to going to the new stadium instead of Sparky D.

Last edited by C'Town216; 03-16-17 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-16-17, 11:33 AM
GCCfan GCCfan is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-09-17
Posts: 6
GCCfan is on a distinguished road
GCC stadiums

We obviously have no way of knowing how the stadium will turn out, but as of now how would you guys rate the stadiums in the GCC. From top to bottom which is the best and which is the worst?

Also, how do you think this new stadium will be received by the community? Are people going to be excited about the change or would they have prefered a renovated old stadium?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-16-17, 12:54 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,275
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCfan View Post
We obviously have no way of knowing how the stadium will turn out, but as of now how would you guys rate the stadiums in the GCC. From top to bottom which is the best and which is the worst?



Also, how do you think this new stadium will be received by the community? Are people going to be excited about the change or would they have prefered a renovated old stadium?


If you see the comments on the Euclid community page on facebook, it's nothing but a complain fest on there and it's actually pretty comical
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-16-17, 02:57 PM
GCCfan GCCfan is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-09-17
Posts: 6
GCCfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
If you see the comments on the Euclid community page on facebook, it's nothing but a complain fest on there and it's actually pretty comical
To me, this seems ironic. Maybe to them, they see it as putting athletics before the school, but I am assuming putting a new stadium up with be cheaper than trying to rebuild the old one. The taxpayers will already be paying the money, so if there is no increase in what the people are paying why is it such a big issue?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-16-17, 03:40 PM
Friday night light Friday night light is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-18-16
Posts: 25
Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCfan View Post
We obviously have no way of knowing how the stadium will turn out, but as of now how would you guys rate the stadiums in the GCC. From top to bottom which is the best and which is the worst?

Also, how do you think this new stadium will be received by the community? Are people going to be excited about the change or would they have prefered a renovated old stadium?
Ranking the stadiums 1)Brunswick 2) Solon 3) Strongsville 4) Mentor 5) Medina 6) Shaker Hts 7) Euclid (until I see the new stadium) 8) Elyria by a lot!!!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-21-17, 02:56 PM
GCCfan GCCfan is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-09-17
Posts: 6
GCCfan is on a distinguished road
New Stadium Design?

It looks as if this will be the initial plans for the stadium. It looks fantastic. It should be packed if it is ready for week three vs. Ignatius.

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-21-17, 07:48 PM
C'Town216 C'Town216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-11-14
Posts: 1,275
C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCfan View Post
It looks as if this will be the initial plans for the stadium. It looks fantastic. It should be packed if it is ready for week three vs. Ignatius.





Kind of reminds me of the Erie Veterans Memorial Stadium in PA and a bit of the Pit over at Elder. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-22-17, 10:58 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,472
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
If you see the comments on the Euclid community page on facebook, it's nothing but a complain fest on there and it's actually pretty comical
What I don't understand is that the planned new stadium isn't what voters passed last November. I went to several Euclid home games last fall, and plans for the refurbished DiBiasio Stadium were prominently displayed, along with pamphlets and depictions of the entire project, which also involved considerable improvements to the school buildings.

How did the plans get changed, and who changed them? Maybe I don't know enough about the way everything went down, but it seems like a bait-and-switch to me. And I'm not sure if Euclid is better off with a new stadium, or just improving DiBiasio. As I've stated before, I always liked DiBiasio Stadium. It just needed some modern touches.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-22-17 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-22-17, 11:02 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,472
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Kind of reminds me of the Erie Veterans Memorial Stadium in PA and a bit of the Pit over at Elder. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Isn't that the gym that is directly behind the home stands? The new stadium will where the far end of the parking lot now exists. Will new parking area(s) be laid out at the site?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"For years, top turf company made millions selling faulty fields to taxpayers" longtime1sttime Football 12 12-08-16 12:55 PM
2016 OHSAA Football Playoffs – Regional Semifinal Pairings Sykotyk Football 3 11-09-16 08:54 PM
2nd round sites PeterDragon Football 22 11-06-16 02:57 PM
2014 Week 4 through 10 Sykotyk National Football Board 2 11-12-14 09:25 PM
2014 OHSAA Football Playoffs Second Round Pairings Yappi Football 3 11-10-14 12:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz