Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-07-17, 11:15 PM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 14,830
PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Enemy at the Gates, Stripes.


Two more great ones




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-08-17, 08:05 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,830
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
In order, #1 at the top.

Sergeant York
Battleground
The Best Years of Our Lives
Twelve O'Clock High
They Were Expendable
In Harm's Way
Stalag 17
Patton
Kelly's Heroes
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day
Lawrence of Arabia
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Empire of the Sun
Zulu
Guess I don't think of Empire of the Sun as a war movie, but it definitely is.

One of my all-time favorite movies.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-08-17, 08:18 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,575
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I just watched Mrs. Miniver for the first time! Pretty good. "Dunkirk" is to be released in July. Filmed on location, I'm hoping it will be good.
Quote:
In his speech to the House of Commons on 4 June, Churchill reminded the country that "we must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations."
I was wondering why I had never heard of the Dunkirk rescue.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-08-17, 08:36 AM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
turpin obsessing itt

Enemy at the Gates, Stripes, and No Time for Sergeants have not been mentioned.
Enemy at the Gates is an excellent movie. I collect Mosins though, so I'm kind of partial.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-08-17, 09:11 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I am looking forward to this film. I hope they don't screw it up. One of the most compelling episodes in the history of warfare but, for some reason, has gotten very little attention from Hollywood. The idea of hundreds of civlian boaters, risking death at the hands of German U-boats to sale to Dunkirk, where the whole of the British army in continental Europe is pushed into the sea, in order to take these young men back to England to fight another day is a fantastic story and one worth telling well.

This event did get some screen time in the 2007 film Atonement, but this was not a main setting for the film and was not really about the evacuation.
I'm also looking forward to this movie. One of the biggest questions I've always had is why didn't Hitler unleash his air force against the civilian ships crossing the channel to partake in the rescue. He had effective control of the air space and the Stuka dive bombers would have devastated the rescue effort.

It shows the courage of those who hopped in their fishing boats to help in the evacuation. And while the Germans did launch air attacks they never really concentrated them in a way that would have been most destructive. The best answer I've heard is that Hitler thought he could make peace with Britain and that if he slaughtered their army and all those rescuing civilians the British would be to embittered to make peace and fight to the death.

It's amazing how so many wars are decided by the narrowest margins.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-08-17, 09:19 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Enemy at the Gates is an excellent movie. I collect Mosins though, so I'm kind of partial.
For those of you who like "Enemy at the Gates" there are two excellent movie versions of the Battle of Stalingrad available:

Stalingrad - 2013: This is a Russian version of the battle that has some spectacular set pieces. As might be expected it's very pro-Russian & "patriotic" as this battle is viewed as one of Russia's greatest victories in its 1,000 plus year history.

Stalingrad - 1993: This is a German version that is also quite good. The POV of this movie is how crazy & wasteful Hitler was.

Both movies focus on small unit experiences in Stalingrad and can be viewed with either subtitles or dubbed in English. Must see viewing for any WW2 movie aficionado.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-08-17, 10:02 AM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 17,090
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Platoon
A Few Good Men
Gettysburg
Missing in Action
Delta Force
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-08-17, 10:23 AM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
For those of you who like "Enemy at the Gates" there are two excellent movie versions of the Battle of Stalingrad available:

Stalingrad - 2013: This is a Russian version of the battle that has some spectacular set pieces. As might be expected it's very pro-Russian & "patriotic" as this battle is viewed as one of Russia's greatest victories in its 1,000 plus year history.

Stalingrad - 1993: This is a German version that is also quite good. The POV of this movie is how crazy & wasteful Hitler was.

Both movies focus on small unit experiences in Stalingrad and can be viewed with either subtitles or dubbed in English. Must see viewing for any WW2 movie aficionado.
Thanks! I'll for sure check them out.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-08-17, 12:26 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,514
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Inglorious Basterds
Apocalypse Now
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-08-17, 01:06 PM
4cards 4cards is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-20-11
Location: The Yo!
Posts: 1,537
4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
I collect Mosins though, so I'm kind of partial.
...interesting, how many do you own and are they hard to find?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-08-17, 01:07 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,830
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I was wondering why I had never heard of the Dunkirk rescue.
Should be part of World War 2 basics. It certainly was back in my 2 sections of AP History in high school.

I have no idea what they teach in school anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-08-17, 01:11 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...interesting, how many do you own and are they hard to find?
I currently only have 4. Price depends on what model you want. A 91/30 pre 1939 in good shape will run you about $250 these days. That's with the ammo pouch, oil can, sling and bayonet. A Finish capture M44 about $350. They're not expensive, but a blast to shoot (they fire 7.62 x 54r rounds). If you want to kill a guy hiding behind a brick wall and an tree, they're perfect lol. Actually the 91/30 is pretty accurate, and if you want to drop about $800 you can get a real sniper version.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-08-17, 01:15 PM
4cards 4cards is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-20-11
Location: The Yo!
Posts: 1,537
4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
I currently only have 4. Price depends on what model you want. A 91/30 pre 1939 in good shape will run you about $250 these days. That's with the ammo pouch, oil can, sling and bayonet. A Finish capture M44 about $350. They're not expensive, but a blast to shoot (they fire 7.62 x 54r rounds). If you want to kill a guy hiding behind a brick wall and an tree, they're perfect lol. Actually the 91/30 is pretty accurate, and if you want to drop about $800 you can get a real sniper version.
...I can see how that could get to be a pretty expensive hobby. Your obviously into WW2, have you ever been to the D-Day reenactment in Conneaut?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-08-17, 01:16 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,377
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Is Braveheart not a military movie?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-08-17, 01:24 PM
Johnstown Benny Johnstown Benny is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Posts: 744
Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Private Benjamin
G.I. Blues
1941
Top Secret
M*A*S*H

JB
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-08-17, 01:45 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,830
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Private Benjamin
G.I. Blues
1941
Top Secret
M*A*S*H

JB
If we are gonna go humor, that's a whole different post....

Stripes and MASH are in a league of their own
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-08-17, 01:46 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...I can see how that could get to be a pretty expensive hobby. Your obviously into WW2, have you ever been to the D-Day reenactment in Conneaut?
It's not too bad. It starts getting expensive with guns like my SVT 40, the precursor to the SKS. They range from $1000 to $1400 or so. The also fire a 7.62 x 54r round but they're semi auto. For those that aren't familiar, an AK fires a 7.62 X 39 round... the 54r is twice as large and will take limbs off.

I have not been to Conneaut but I'll look it up. I love that stuff! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-08-17, 01:48 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Is Braveheart not a military movie?
I think so!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-08-17, 01:55 PM
Johnstown Benny Johnstown Benny is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-06-07
Posts: 744
Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
If we are gonna go humor, that's a whole different post....

Stripes and MASH are in a league of their own
Relax, it was a joke...and "A League Of Their Own" was a Baseball movie anyway. l


JB
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-08-17, 02:17 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,771
14Red is on a distinguished road
Does Forest Gump count?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-08-17, 02:35 PM
4cards 4cards is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-20-11
Location: The Yo!
Posts: 1,537
4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
It's not too bad. It starts getting expensive with guns like my SVT 40, the precursor to the SKS. They range from $1000 to $1400 or so. The also fire a 7.62 x 54r round but they're semi auto. For those that aren't familiar, an AK fires a 7.62 X 39 round... the 54r is twice as large and will take limbs off.

I have not been to Conneaut but I'll look it up. I love that stuff! Thanks.
...I go every year to D Day-Conneaut and some of my best times have been talking with the WW2 vets (fewer every year) and to listen to their stories. One vet told me a few stories last year that made me LOL and one that brought me to tears. In his mind, it was clear to him as if it happened that day.

I think you would like looking at all the weapons and talking with the reenactors.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-08-17, 02:41 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,830
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Relax, it was a joke...and "A League Of Their Own" was a Baseball movie anyway. l


JB
Huh? Why would I not be relaxed?

Anyways, I guess what I was saying without saying it was that maybe we need a humorous military movie thread. Lots of good ones out there for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-08-17, 02:46 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,830
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...I go every year to D Day-Conneaut and some of my best times have been talking with the WW2 vets (fewer every year) and to listen to their stories. One vet told me a few stories last year that made me LOL and one that brought me to tears. In his mind, it was clear to him as if it happened that day.

I think you would like looking at all the weapons and talking with the reenactors.
Hey! At least get a room if you are gonna cheat on me!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-08-17, 03:01 PM
4cards 4cards is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-20-11
Location: The Yo!
Posts: 1,537
4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Hey! At least get a room if you are gonna cheat on me!
...you can be consoled by Uncle Ted, now go cuddle it out!

Last edited by 4cards; 03-08-17 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-08-17, 04:58 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,538
Auggie is on a distinguished road
I just don't get the love for Gettysburg. It is way too drawn out, the make-up job on the beards is terrible, and it is full of historical inaccuracies. But why the Beyonce like treatment that Ted Turner makes his director give Lee? Yeah Lee was a great tactician and made many solid decisions that endeared himself to his men but these scenes of him being treated like a God or basking in adulation among his men look like modern celebrity culture.

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-08-17, 06:49 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,183
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Is it surprising there's so relatively few Revolutionary War movies, let alone GOOD Revolutionary War movies. I'm really enjoying the series "Turn," so don't see why this is with movies.

Has anyone mentioned John Ford's "They Were Expendable?" Great movie by a guy mostly known for westerns.

Having seen and seen most of the Hollywood made, I've been watching when I can, British made WWI era movies. They often have more of a home front setting given, their home was the front. I particularly enjoy the movies post 33, to really get an idea how powerful a presence Hitler was. We see him in the Olympics then jump to the war. He was a shadow that hung over their daily lives.

I've enjoyed the Noel Coward, David Lean "In Which We Serve." David Niven's "Stairway to Heaven (A Matter of Life and Death)"

Last edited by eastisbest; 03-08-17 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-08-17, 06:56 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,282
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Is it surprising there's so relatively few Revolutionary War movies, let alone GOOD Revolutionary War movies. I'm really enjoying the series "Turn," so don't see why this is with movies.
Hey we actually agree on something. Turn is an excellent series and one of my favorites. It really brings out the fact that the American revolutionary war was really a civil war.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-08-17, 07:10 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,183
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Doh!!!

Duck Soup
Objective Burma: I thought Errol Flynn only as the caricature in tights. Dude could act.


I think my list will change every time I think about this.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-08-17, 07:24 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,183
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Doh^2

Australians do WWI.

Breaker Morant and Gallipoli. Could watch everyday.

African Queen: we should all be ashamed that hasn't been mentioned. It's got leeches!

Last edited by eastisbest; 03-08-17 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-08-17, 07:26 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 16,183
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Hey we actually agree on something. Turn is an excellent series and one of my favorites. It really brings out the fact that the American revolutionary war was really a civil war.
Good take. Like I was saying about the WWII era British movies, the movies, they're different when they're taking place on homeland. The scene in Miniver when the German breaks into the house....

and we don't tend to disagree on goals so much as how to obtain them. That's MY take on the discussions.

What happened to the "The Expanse" thread? I'm finally starting to like it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Parody Movie? Yappi General Board 15 10-13-16 09:41 AM
Favorite Movie Per Genre Joey-T General Board 18 10-04-16 10:02 PM
Favorite Movie to watch for Halloween? Yappi General Board 15 10-28-15 08:35 AM
What's Your Favorite Movie starring an SNL alum? M2M General Board 33 02-20-15 12:34 PM
Favorite Christmas Movie? Yappi General Board 32 12-27-14 09:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz