Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-03-17, 11:49 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Track Indoor State Hub: Meet Previews, Predictions, and Results

Sup everyone. Well my schools basketball season came to a rather anticlimactic end, so now its track season, so I'm back. I remember how last fall, we used to do these kinds of threads each week for cross country season. So I decided, I'd like to keep it going for track season. Figured, since indoor states is this weekend, might as well get a thread going for that. Now I know there are already threads discussing some aspects of the state meet, like ineligible athletes. But this thread I kind of figured would be for the meet itself, who is going? Who is favored to win in their respective events? etc.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 03-04-17 at 11:05 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-17, 12:19 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Finishtiming put the result links in the OATCCC State Indoor Information thread. Here they are:

Division 1

Division 2/3
Old 03-04-17, 01:02 PM
Freshman

trevo45 is on a distinguished road
Thomas Worthington set a state record in the 4x800 with a 7:50 today. Andy Payne (15:26 5ker) wasn't even on the relay
Old 03-04-17, 04:11 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
TWHS had Payne and Jha (who anchored their relay in 1:53.x) go 4th and 5th, both in 9: 14 in the 3200.
Old 03-04-17, 08:32 PM
All District

claynation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevo45 View Post
Thomas Worthington set a state record in the 4x800 with a 7:50 today. Andy Payne (15:26 5ker) wasn't even on the relay
Payne wasn't on the relay because TW has four guys who are faster than him in the 800.
Old 03-04-17, 11:41 PM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by claynation View Post
Payne wasn't on the relay because TW has four guys who are faster than him in the 800.
This is true. Those 4 are amazing. For the record, Payne and Jha both ran 9:13 in the 3200.
Old 03-05-17, 09:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCrossCountry View Post
Payne and Jha both ran 9:13 in the 3200.
A 3200 PR for both?
Old 03-05-17, 09:27 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I've been sick for a week now, so I'm assuming illness is the cause, but how are there so many DNS's at a meet that people had less than a week to declare for?
Old 03-05-17, 10:19 AM
All Ohio

Only 14 people registered a height for the high jump in D2/3.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-17, 12:52 PM
Freshman

runningrocks is on a distinguished road
Ohio is extremely stacked this year in the 1600m and 3200m . So many great performances yesterday including a blazing 4:10 by Dustin Horter, a 9:03.9 by Hunter Moore, and a very impressive 1:53.7 relay split by Arjun Jha to anchor his team to victory in the 4x*00. Outdoor is going to be a lot of fun to watch
Old 03-05-17, 12:55 PM
All District

gatornation is on a distinguished road
I agree with Psycho Dad on the DNS. The one I found interesting was the girls 1600 in Div2/3. First of all only 13 committed, then 2 DNS. In my opinion, this is much different from outdoor when you may run more events at District than drop out at Regional because maybe you are scoring points for the team or haven't decided what you are running the following week. But in Indoor, you are committing that same week and ultimately taking spots from someone who could have gone.
Old 03-05-17, 01:01 PM
All District

In the 3 distance events for Div 2/3, there were 5 DNS in the girls and 6 DNS in the boys(add 4 more boys if you include the 400).
Old 03-05-17, 01:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningrocks View Post
Ohio is extremely stacked this year in the 1600m and 3200m . So many great performances yesterday including a blazing 4:10 by Dustin Horter, a 9:03.9 by Hunter Moore, and a very impressive 1:53.7 relay split by Arjun Jha to anchor his team to victory in the 4x*00. Outdoor is going to be a lot of fun to watch
Mild winter may be helping these people do well early on in indoor season, as well as early season outdoor track.
Old 03-05-17, 01:16 PM
All District

Of the 11 DNS, only 2 names do not appear anywhere else on the results(that is assuming the relay names are correct). So they may have stayed home sick. The other 9 ran an event, according to the results. 4 of the 11 came from the same school, Carrollton (2 boys and 2 girls).
Old 03-05-17, 02:03 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
There were five DNS in the D1 boys mile. And interestingly one in the girls 4x800.
Old 03-05-17, 04:41 PM
Junior Varsity

galesxc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
There were five DNS in the D1 boys mile. And interestingly one in the girls 4x800.
The quick pace of the meet and the placement of the 4x8 in the order of events combine to limit entries in the 1600 and then produce DNS's for some that do enter. 35min between events (including podium time) makes the 4x8 - 1600M double difficult, at best, at this level.

Note that 18th seed in the D1 1600M was 26th on the list of qualifiers; eight athletes opted out of the D1 1600 before the 18th was accepted. Then, three of five DNSs dropped the 1600M after racing in the 4x8. One other apparently chose to target the 800M.

Running the 4x8 as the first event of the meet, where it belongs, would improve the depth of the field in the 1600M and better balance the competitive opportunity for distance compared to sprint-oriented teams... but that's another topic.
Old 03-05-17, 05:42 PM
Varsity

WarriorCC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornation View Post
Of the 11 DNS, only 2 names do not appear anywhere else on the results(that is assuming the relay names are correct). So they may have stayed home sick. The other 9 ran an event, according to the results. 4 of the 11 came from the same school, Carrollton (2 boys and 2 girls).
Carrollton had 1 boy and two girls drop a second event in favor of running the third after a grueling 4x8 race. The boy intended to specialize in the 16 but was unable to fully recover after a crazy anchor leg to propel the team to a win. The other girls were also gassed and attempted to come back and podium in the 3200 and 4x4. Their best chances to win or place high were in the third event anyway. Some years the recovery works and they run all their races (see Dunlap last year indoors) sometimes the nature and tactics of the 4x8 have more effects. There is a reason they run the 4x8 separate from distance events in outdoor. If you earn the spot you earn the right to choose your events on the day.
Old 03-05-17, 07:48 PM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
A 3200 PR for both?
Yes.
Old 03-05-17, 09:52 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by galesxc View Post
The quick pace of the meet and the placement of the 4x8 in the order of events combine to limit entries in the 1600 and then produce DNS's for some that do enter. 35min between events (including podium time) makes the 4x8 - 1600M double difficult, at best, at this level.

Note that 18th seed in the D1 1600M was 26th on the list of qualifiers; eight athletes opted out of the D1 1600 before the 18th was accepted. Then, three of five DNSs dropped the 1600M after racing in the 4x8. One other apparently chose to target the 800M.

Running the 4x8 as the first event of the meet, where it belongs, would improve the depth of the field in the 1600M and better balance the competitive opportunity for distance compared to sprint-oriented teams... but that's another topic.
But didn't the coach know the time schedule when they declared their team to the meet? I thought the event schedule was posted online for a while before they kept another team out of the meet.
Old 03-05-17, 11:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4Life View Post
But didn't the coach know the time schedule when they declared their team to the meet? I thought the event schedule was posted online for a while before they kept another team out of the meet.
Sure the coaches knew the schedule. Some chose to enter their milers in other events, a couple tried to 4x8 - 1600M double, some entered their kids in all possible events and delayed their decision until late, while also blocking others from entering.

The point is, these choices would not be necessary if the 4x8 was the first event rather than after the 4x2 and the prelims. Top distance kids could run the 4x8 and return effectively in the 1600. There would also be more recovery time between the 4x8 and the 8. And, the competitive balance between the sprinters and distance teams would be improved.
Old 03-06-17, 11:24 AM
Freshman

JOSP is on a distinguished road
Would love to see the 800 move in order of events as well to allow the 1600/800 or 400/800 athletes to do both.
Old 03-06-17, 02:35 PM
Junior Varsity

effit is on a distinguished road
If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the boys d2/d3 4x8. Carrollton's anchor wasn't human.

I've watched that race maybe 20 times today and we still lose. Regardless, the boys were really happy to qualify for nationals this Friday and are looking forward to outdoor. A great weekend for us. #goskins
Old 03-06-17, 04:49 PM
Junior Varsity

effit is on a distinguished road
Great. We are now featured on Ohio MileSplit kick of the week (the losing end of it). lol
Old 03-08-17, 01:21 PM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agree 100%.... I wonder how hard it be to run the meet with the D2/3 competitors at the same time, which would also allow for more rest in between races... Seeing that the meet will now be at Spire, I wonder if this could be an option... Would be very exciting to watch everyone at once
Old 03-08-17, 09:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach View Post
Agree 100%.... I wonder how hard it be to run the meet with the D2/3 competitors at the same time, which would also allow for more rest in between races... Seeing that the meet will now be at Spire, I wonder if this could be an option... Would be very exciting to watch everyone at once
We had a big discussion last week that if the meet is at Spire next season will coaches be able to be at the field event venues and along the track like we have been able to do at Akron? Most have said they (Spire officials) will not allow this to happen.

At Akron there is not enough room for the fans, they were keeping spectators for the 2nd meet because there was not enough seating for them due to firecodes.

There is barely enough space for the athletes to move through the infield with just one half the teams, individuals now.
Old 03-08-17, 09:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4Life View Post
We had a big discussion last week that if the meet is at Spire next season will coaches be able to be at the field event venues and along the track like we have been able to do at Akron? Most have said they (Spire officials) will not allow this to happen.

At Akron there is not enough room for the fans, they were keeping spectators for the 2nd meet because there was not enough seating for them due to firecodes.

There is barely enough space for the athletes to move through the infield with just one half the teams, individuals now.
Don't know if this is relevant, but coaches were permitted unrestricted access to the infield and the field event venues at SPIRE during the last two "Scholastic Showcases".
Old 03-08-17, 10:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Don't know if this is relevant, but coaches were permitted unrestricted access to the infield and the field event venues at SPIRE during the last two "Scholastic Showcases".
That is good, I did not go there myself, just several coaches and officials said this was not happening there.
Old 03-09-17, 12:40 AM
All District

tmk is on a distinguished road
I've never had a problem being on the infield at SPIRE over the years. As long as I have been respectful of their on-field officials and made it a point not to interfere with their job, they've been pretty good with allowing me to do my job.

Sometimes you will run into officials that are a little feisty, but that's true of most anywhere.
Old 03-09-17, 08:22 AM
Freshman

JOSP is on a distinguished road
I went to the Spire for the Showcase and meet #3. I had no problems getting on the infield or dealing with any officials. One of the nicest facilities I've ever been in and ample space for seating and warm-ups.
Old 03-09-17, 01:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevo45 View Post
Thomas Worthington set a state record in the 4x800 with a 7:50 today.
Didn't Coffman run 7:45.xx last indoor season?