Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-26-17, 03:25 PM
Freshman

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
That certainly doesn't look like that's what the Columbus City School District is planning right now.

http://www.dejongrichter.com/ccsoh/w...tion_DRAFT.pdf

It looks like they're targeting each of their high schools to have 800-1,000 student enrollment, which does strike me as too small per high school. There is no need to have high schools that small in a major metropolitan city, IMO.

The rest of the world seems to be able to do 1,200-1,600 student high schools just fine. Having all of these smaller schools just jacks up the number of principals, vice principals, athletic directors, and so on that have to be hired for each school.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Now, if local voters in the Columbus City School District (or any other district) want to tax themselves to pay for all of this extra cost, they're more than welcome to knock themselves out. However, I don't think the state should be picking up that extra tab.
Keep in mind the state is the major decision maker in this factor they most likely will mandate a size of 1,600 min. The plan that Columbus City Schools has does not have Bering on it it is what the state will mandate for the project for 20 years
Old 02-26-17, 04:34 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
From what I hear, St Thomas Aquinas will be closing in the next 5 years unless enrollment makes a drastic turn around.
Old 02-27-17, 06:53 PM
All District

Weiskittle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles73 View Post
Washington county, 61,000 people, 6 school districts, largest city Marietta 14, 000.

Lawrence county, 62,000 people, 7 school districts, largest city Ironton 11,000.

Scioto county, 79,000 people, 9 school districts, largest city Portsmouth 20,000.

Ross county, 78,000 people, 7 school districts, largest city Chillicothe 22,000.

Definately Portsmouth Clay and New Boston need consolidated, but who else in these counties, which by the way are the only ones that have more than 5 school districts. Ross county the smallest is Paint Valley, but they still average around D VI in football with around 90 graduating class.

Mercer, Darke and Shelby counties also are similar in size to Ross, Scioto and Lawrence, with Mercer 40,000, Shelby 50,000 and Darke 53,000 each of which has 7 or more school districts with much smaller total populations.
Shelby County has 49,500 people in it and had 10 high schools in it!

But i personally like that.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-17, 08:55 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
From what I hear, St Thomas Aquinas will be closing in the next 5 years unless enrollment makes a drastic turn around.
Bishop George has (at least) three tough high school decisions to make in the next 10 years. He's a great man and a great leader. He knows that the numbers justify three high schools and he's got six.

STA is a great school, and I've got friends who've sent their kids there. My own kids' school (Hartley) had a great football rivalry with them that goes back 30 years. I'd hate to see them close.

CCC is capable of handling the enrollment from both, but certain demographic realities will result in many families settling for PSR.

St John families won't do another bail out, and it's either them or JFK.

Mooney / Ursuline is a natural merger but both communities are stupidly stubborn about their traditions. Building something new down around Struthers, Poland, or Boardman is the best thing to do long term, but nobody would go for it.

Without a serious shift to "school choice" and vouchers or whatnot, he might be dealing with a reduction to one or two over the next 20.
Old 02-27-17, 10:30 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Any possible Diocese of Columbus schools? What's the overall status of the 10 high schools, particularly those in cities with a declining middle class?
Old 02-28-17, 06:01 AM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That certainly doesn't look like that's what the Columbus City School District is planning right now.

It looks like they're targeting each of their high schools to have 800-1,000 student enrollment, which does strike me as too small per high school. There is no need to have high schools that small in a major metropolitan city, IMO.

The rest of the world seems to be able to do 1,200-1,600 student high schools just fine. Having all of these smaller schools just jacks up the number of principals, vice principals, athletic directors, and so on that have to be hired for each school.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Now, if local voters in the Columbus City School District (or any other district) want to tax themselves to pay for all of this extra cost, they're more than welcome to knock themselves out. However, I don't think the state should be picking up that extra tab.
Research consistently shows that the ideal size for a HS is 600-800. There is a cost to that, for sure, but it is not for no reason Columbus is targeting that number.
Old 02-28-17, 06:06 AM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
I have yet to see any data that shows consolidating schools brings improved results or cost savings. Many of the best schools I know are small schools in small towns while many of the worst are big schools in big towns.

May be more a function of the size of the town instead of the school, but as I said I have yet to see any stats, other than a study showing schools operate most economically if class sizes are slightly less than multiples of 100 (i.e. class size of 90 or 190 or 290 is good, while class size of 110 or 210 or 310 is not). Has something to do with government mandates for every 100 students.
Consolidation makes sense in some cases but not all. It isn't a panacea. But the idea of multiples of 100 has no basis in reality. There are no such mandates and 190 has no advantage over 210.
Old 02-28-17, 06:59 AM
Lenten Sacrifice: Yappi

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:

I agree. 800-1000 is too small, especially for a large city like Columbus.
Old 02-28-17, 07:01 AM
Lenten Sacrifice: Yappi

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
Research consistently shows that the ideal size for a HS is 600-800. There is a cost to that, for sure, but it is not for no reason Columbus is targeting that number.
For large cities, I just think that is way too small.
Old 02-28-17, 07:27 AM
All Region

bop is on a distinguished road
What schools should close in the next 5 years..... In the State of Ohio- Probably half of them.
Old 02-28-17, 10:12 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yet there is no concentration of the elite high schools in the state around that number. Many are far smaller, many two and three times larger. Far too many to be considered outliers.
Old 02-28-17, 11:05 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiskittle View Post
Shelby County has 49,500 people in it and had 10 high schools in it!

But i personally like that.

I'm aware of nine, the seven SCL schools, Sidney, and Lehman. Who am I missing?
Old 02-28-17, 11:08 AM
All District

I count Sidney Christian Academy! Lol

Old 02-28-17, 11:11 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiskittle View Post
I count Sidney Christian Academy! Lol

Not a school I was familiar with. Thanks.
Old 02-28-17, 11:22 AM
All District

Its goes all the way to 12th grade, don't know if they have sports though

Old 02-28-17, 01:25 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Baloney. Practically every other district around Columbus has high schools with 1,400-1,800 students each. They seem to be doing just fine.
Old 02-28-17, 01:57 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Not going to close, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if Elder drops to Division 2 in the not too distant future. There is talk on the Elder Forum about their freshman class being incredibly small by their standards. I could also see at some point down the road where Elder and LaSalle end up merging.
Old 02-28-17, 02:14 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Just a couple of points:
1) Larger schools are not necessarily better educationally. They may be financially more efficient, but in many ways smaller schools are better from an education perspective.
2) Some schools, due to a lack of community and/or parental involvement, will fail educationally whether they have 100 or 10,000 kids.

Also, Akron's not closing any of the newer schools anytime soon absent a state mandate. The Board doesn't have the stones to do that.
Old 02-28-17, 02:27 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Not going to close, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if Elder drops to Division 2 in the not too distant future. There is talk on the Elder Forum about their freshman class being incredibly small by their standards. I could also see at some point down the road where Elder and LaSalle end up merging.
Do you think it would me more likely for an Elder/LaSalle merger or an Elder/Seton merger along the lines of Purcell Marian? Keeping all male and all female high schools the preference?
Old 02-28-17, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
Wasn't elder looking to build a new school out near
Taylor not too long ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-17, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
Wasn't elder looking to build a new school out near
Taylor not too long ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.
Old 02-28-17, 07:54 PM
Freshman

dappling is on a distinguished road
Toledo missed the boat when they simply rebuilt existing schools. Toledo should have a dedicated vocational school, and four high schools and that's it.
Old 02-28-17, 09:01 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Any possible Diocese of Columbus schools? What's the overall status of the 10 high schools, particularly those in cities with a declining middle class?
Ready is doomed. They won't make 10 years. The outliers in the hinterlands are going the way of Marion Catholic and Chillicothe Flaget. Just a matter of time. The diocese has made a big investment in Cristo Rey which hurts the ability to subsidize the others. My predicted order of closings is Rosecrans, Ready, Fisher, Notre Dame, Tusky. I think Newark Catholic will be probably be OK, maybe. Just not enough corporate titan benefactors in the Diocese to keep them all afloat. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-28-17, 10:50 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Ready is doomed. They won't make 10 years. The outliers in the hinterlands are going the way of Marion Catholic and Chillicothe Flaget. Just a matter of time. The diocese has made a big investment in Cristo Rey which hurts the ability to subsidize the others. My predicted order of closings is Rosecrans, Ready, Fisher, Notre Dame, Tusky. I think Newark Catholic will be probably be OK, maybe. Just not enough corporate titan benefactors in the Diocese to keep them all afloat. Hope I'm wrong.
If it's a matter of benefactors specific to the individual school, I would think FC would be ok.

Last edited by The Dock; 03-01-17 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 07:40 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Do you think it would me more likely for an Elder/LaSalle merger or an Elder/Seton merger along the lines of Purcell Marian? Keeping all male and all female high schools the preference?
I wouldn't rule it out, but I think all the schools are against merging coed at this point. Obviously the Archdiocese could force there hand on it down the road, but I think it is more likely it would be an Elder/LaSalle merger and a Seton/Mercy/McAuley merger. It may be another decade or two down the road but I think eventually we will see one all boys catholic school on the west side and one all girls regardless of what affiliates are currently running those schools. The numbers just aren't there anymore and they continue to trend in the wrong direction at an alarming rate.
Old 03-01-17, 09:33 PM
Freshman

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Just a couple of points:
1) Larger schools are not necessarily better educationally. They may be financially more efficient, but in many ways smaller schools are better from an education perspective.
2) Some schools, due to a lack of community and/or parental involvement, will fail educationally whether they have 100 or 10,000 kids.

Also, Akron's not closing any of the newer schools anytime soon absent a state mandate. The Board doesn't have the stones to do that.
Yes the state can close a new School it clearly states that in the contract for the money from the State of Ohio Facilities commission. The state of Ohio has specified that Akron will have 4 high Schools. The Akron Board of Education has no controll if it has over reached its spending limit and they have. As of now the state has all the control.
Old 03-02-17, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
What schools should close in the next 5 years..... In the State of Ohio- Probably half of them.
Exactly. Been saying this for years.
Old 03-02-17, 01:36 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Not going to change anything for football but this is happening in Cincinnati:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ging/98634284/
Old 03-02-17, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
I wouldn't rule it out, but I think all the schools are against merging coed at this point. Obviously the Archdiocese could force there hand on it down the road, but I think it is more likely it would be an Elder/LaSalle merger and a Seton/Mercy/McAuley merger. It may be another decade or two down the road but I think eventually we will see one all boys catholic school on the west side and one all girls regardless of what affiliates are currently running those schools. The numbers just aren't there anymore and they continue to trend in the wrong direction at an alarming rate.
Wow. Foreshadowing the Mercy/McAuley news today.
Old 03-02-17, 02:31 PM
Freshman

CincinnatiDot is on a distinguished road
Turpin isn't closing down or merging with Anderson. They've won the ECC All-Sports Trophy going on 3 years and they excel academically. We played them a few weeks ago and they have new gymnasiums and fields under construct right now.