Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-24-17, 10:27 AM
Freshman

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Schools to close in Ohio in the next 5 years

There are several school districts in the State of Ohio who are and will be closing High schools through decline in enrollment or are forced to through the State facilities commission.

Akron: Kenmore and Garfield will be closed and combined in a new building as one. North will be the most obvious. Even though the following have been rebuilt they are still subject to be closed by the state facilies commission. East, Buchtel, and Ellet one of these three must close. To achieve the 4 high school plan for the city of Akron City schools.

Cincinnati City schools: Are currently looking at the closure of up to 6 High Schools. This will be made in a 2 year process as the community is a part of the process of these closures through the School Board. These schools have not yet been specifically named.

Columbus City Schools: is much like Cincinnati though they are doing a 3 year evaluation witch most likely will close 7 or 9 High schools. Only 4 High Schools have been rebuilt in that district

Parma: Trough the state commission they are being forced to close and consolidate all into one of witch will be 2

Cleveland City Schools: None just a note about this district they lead the state in the least amount of square foot per pupil.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-17, 10:34 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Which high schools in Cincinnati are being looked at?

They just spent a fortune rebuilding/renovating and reconfiguring their high schools as part of a strategic plan, including closing junior highs and making many 7-12 campuses.
Old 02-24-17, 10:41 AM
Freshman

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Which high schools in Cincinnati are being looked at?

They just spent a fortune rebuilding/renovating and reconfiguring their high schools as part of a strategic plan, including closing junior highs and making many 7-12 campuses.
Turpin may be one not sure of the others the state can close a new building remember it says it in the fine print from the State if your board signs and accepts the state money.
Old 02-24-17, 11:27 AM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
I can not imagine Columbus City Schools closing 7-9 high schools.
Old 02-24-17, 11:37 AM
Varsity

22 Acacia Ave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Next 5 years, no way.
Old 02-24-17, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Cincinnati City to close up to 6 high schools? how about a source, because something is lost in your translation
Old 02-24-17, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
There are several school districts in the State of Ohio who are and will be closing High schools through decline in enrollment or are forced to through the State facilities commission.

Akron: Kenmore and Garfield will be closed and combined in a new building as one. North will be the most obvious. Even though the following have been rebuilt they are still subject to be closed by the state facilies commission. East, Buchtel, and Ellet one of these three must close. To achieve the 4 high school plan for the city of Akron City schools.

Cincinnati City schools: Are currently looking at the closure of up to 6 High Schools. This will be made in a 2 year process as the community is a part of the process of these closures through the School Board. These schools have not yet been specifically named.

Columbus City Schools: is much like Cincinnati though they are doing a 3 year evaluation witch most likely will close 7 or 9 High schools. Only 4 High Schools have been rebuilt in that district

Parma: Trough the state commission they are being forced to close and consolidate all into one of witch will be 2

Cleveland City Schools: None just a note about this district they lead the state in the least amount of square foot per pupil.
yeah no
Old 02-24-17, 01:06 PM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
JC Penny is closing 140 stores.
Old 02-24-17, 01:22 PM
All American

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
Turpin may be one not sure of the others the state can close a new building remember it says it in the fine print from the State if your board signs and accepts the state money.
They are talking about CPS schools of which Turpin is not one. It would probably make sense for the Forest Hills District (Turpin/Anderson) to consolidate but I'm under the impression many do not like the idea.
Old 02-24-17, 01:24 PM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
JC Penny is closing 140 stores.
OMG we have no SEARS around Athens anymore
Old 02-24-17, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

We need a massive consolidation of schools in south east Ohio.
Old 02-24-17, 01:38 PM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
We need a massive consolidation of schools in south east Ohio.
What counties and schools would you consolidate?
Old 02-24-17, 01:57 PM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
Washington county, 61,000 people, 6 school districts, largest city Marietta 14, 000.

Lawrence county, 62,000 people, 7 school districts, largest city Ironton 11,000.

Scioto county, 79,000 people, 9 school districts, largest city Portsmouth 20,000.

Ross county, 78,000 people, 7 school districts, largest city Chillicothe 22,000.

Definately Portsmouth Clay and New Boston need consolidated, but who else in these counties, which by the way are the only ones that have more than 5 school districts. Ross county the smallest is Paint Valley, but they still average around D VI in football with around 90 graduating class.

Mercer, Darke and Shelby counties also are similar in size to Ross, Scioto and Lawrence, with Mercer 40,000, Shelby 50,000 and Darke 53,000 each of which has 7 or more school districts with much smaller total populations.
Old 02-24-17, 02:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
OMG we have no SEARS around Athens anymore
Even the Sears Hardware?!? Say it ain't so! Guess it's Parkersburg now!
Old 02-24-17, 02:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles73 View Post
What counties and schools would you consolidate?
Nelsonville York, Trimble, and Miller should consolidate (northern Athens + southern perry)
Meigs, Eastern, and Southern should consolidate (meigs)
Washington county should have two schools. Warren and Marietta. Belpre, Waterford, Fort Frye, and River should be consolidated to Warren and Marietta
Federal hocking should be absorbed by Warren, Athens,and Trimble
Portsmouth, West Portsmouth, and New Boston should consolidate
Old 02-24-17, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Even the Sears Hardware?!? Say it ain't so! Guess it's Parkersburg now!
We lost the one in Lancaster. Sad day
Old 02-24-17, 05:13 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I don't see that happening, either. I'd be surprised if they closed more than two (if that) in the next 5 years. There was a huge outcry when Independence was on the chopping block.
Old 02-24-17, 06:00 PM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
I have yet to see any data that shows consolidating schools brings improved results or cost savings. Many of the best schools I know are small schools in small towns while many of the worst are big schools in big towns.

May be more a function of the size of the town instead of the school, but as I said I have yet to see any stats, other than a study showing schools operate most economically if class sizes are slightly less than multiples of 100 (i.e. class size of 90 or 190 or 290 is good, while class size of 110 or 210 or 310 is not). Has something to do with government mandates for every 100 students.
Old 02-24-17, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Cincinnati City to close up to 6 high schools? how about a source, because something is lost in your translation
Yea like are there even 6 high schools in all of the CPS? There's Taft, Huges, Withrow, WH, Woodward, Aiken, Western Hills, ? I know there are some specialized schools like Performing Arts. But "6" seems like a bit much.

Turpin closing would be up to the folks in the Forest Hills School district. Can't think of any other high schools in the greater Cincinnati area that would be closed or consolidated?
Old 02-24-17, 06:49 PM
Varsity

king kong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nelsonville York, Trimble, and Miller should consolidate (northern Athens + southern perry)
Meigs, Eastern, and Southern should consolidate (meigs)
Washington county should have two schools. Warren and Marietta. Belpre, Waterford, Fort Frye, and River should be consolidated to Warren and Marietta
Federal hocking should be absorbed by Warren, Athens,and Trimble
Portsmouth, West Portsmouth, and New Boston should consolidate
Making large as in square mile schools are a nightmare for school districts! Look at Vinton County, busing has kids riding nearly an hour one way, so two hours a day on a bus! Getting kids to and from practices are exceptionally hard on parents. It sounds good in theory to cram a lot of kids in 1 centralized location, but there are a lot of negative factors.

Look at the counties I named in Northwest Ohio, they are smaller and have just as many schools, why not put them into a county school as well?
Old 02-24-17, 08:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Yea like are there even 6 high schools in all of the CPS? There's Taft, Huges, Withrow, WH, Woodward, Aiken, Western Hills, ? I know there are some specialized schools like Performing Arts. But "6" seems like a bit much.

Turpin closing would be up to the folks in the Forest Hills School district. Can't think of any other high schools in the greater Cincinnati area that would be closed or consolidated?
There are 16 believe it or not....you have the bigger schools. Others include Clark and Gamble Montessoris, Shroder, Riverview East, Dater, SCPA and other online/charters.

A part of me wonders if the person who started this thread did it just to see what kind of rise and reaction they can get out of all of us.
Old 02-25-17, 02:24 AM
Junior Varsity

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
I have yet to see any data that shows consolidating schools brings improved results or cost savings. Many of the best schools I know are small schools in small towns while many of the worst are big schools in big towns.

May be more a function of the size of the town instead of the school, but as I said I have yet to see any stats, other than a study showing schools operate most economically if class sizes are slightly less than multiples of 100 (i.e. class size of 90 or 190 or 290 is good, while class size of 110 or 210 or 310 is not). Has something to do with government mandates for every 100 students.
Just across the State line from most MAC and CCC towns, in Indiana, is an example of consolidation negatively effecting the communities.
In Jay County, there use to be around 7 schools. In the 70s the communities reluctantly agreed to consolidate into two schools, East Jay in Portland, and West Jay (more than likely) between Dunkirk and Redkey.
There was an interesting turn of events when the plans for one singular school for the county were finalized. And in the wake of this, most of these communities like Redkey, Salamonia, Dunkirk, Penville and Bryant have lost their identity.
In the gyms of Jay County and South Adams, you can still see the old banners of the past schools.
Old 02-25-17, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There are 16 believe it or not....you have the bigger schools. Others include Clark and Gamble Montessoris, Shroder, Riverview East, Dater, SCPA and other online/charters.
Wow, when I went to the CPS website I was shocked at how many "high" schools there were. For sure and given the budget problems I could see them consolidating from that list of 16 schools.

Of course as you noted throwing out on a HS football message board that "6 CPS schools are closing" is a bit provocative considering that such a consolidation would likely involve no more than 1 or 2 football playing schools.
Old 02-25-17, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post

Lockland has huge money problems, been discussed before that they would be absorbed by Princeton and St Bernard has been mentioned as a possible close.
Old 02-25-17, 10:02 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Lockland has huge money problems, been discussed before that they would be absorbed by Princeton and St Bernard has been mentioned as a possible close.
St Bernard would be absorbed by Cincinnati Public?
Old 02-25-17, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
St Bernard would be absorbed by Cincinnati Public?
Since it is completely enclosed by CPS; that would make the most sense. It's finances has improved lately, not as much talk about eliminating it lately.
Old 02-25-17, 03:12 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post

You have Ottoville and Fort Jennings in Putnam County. Using this year's enrollment numbers, each school has roughly 350 students, grades 1-12. In the last 10-15 years BOTH built new schools which are located THREE miles apart. There are empty rooms in both schools now. Fort Jennings new school cost $13 million and I'd guess Ottoville's was similar. Around $26 million for 700 students. Doesn't make sense.
Old 02-26-17, 01:38 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
That certainly doesn't look like that's what the Columbus City School District is planning right now.

http://www.dejongrichter.com/ccsoh/w...tion_DRAFT.pdf

It looks like they're targeting each of their high schools to have 800-1,000 student enrollment, which does strike me as too small per high school. There is no need to have high schools that small in a major metropolitan city, IMO.

The rest of the world seems to be able to do 1,200-1,600 student high schools just fine. Having all of these smaller schools just jacks up the number of principals, vice principals, athletic directors, and so on that have to be hired for each school.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Now, if local voters in the Columbus City School District (or any other district) want to tax themselves to pay for all of this extra cost, they're more than welcome to knock themselves out. However, I don't think the state should be picking up that extra tab.
Old 02-26-17, 01:53 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Since it is completely enclosed by CPS; that would make the most sense. It's finances has improved lately, not as much talk about eliminating it lately.
Well they are building a brand new high school/elementary building, so I don't think they will close
Old 02-26-17, 02:10 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
That certainly doesn't look like that's what the Columbus City School District is planning right now.

http://www.dejongrichter.com/ccsoh/w...tion_DRAFT.pdf
I think those numbers reflect their target for how many kids will be funneled from reorganized middle schools into existing high schools. The "note" on each of those pages explains that they're punting on high schools for now.

The physical plant is too old and has to be replaced, but they have to be able to shake down the state to fund much of it. They will certainly consolidate in the process. Given that a place like Groveport Madison budgeted $54 million for their new high school, the Columbus board wants to be cautious about talking about paring the 13 or so high schools down into 7 or 8 new buildings and getting the folks worked up who've safely put themselves into Whetstone and Centennial.

You'd think that based on condo construction downtown they'd need to plan something for that, but maybe they're all dinks (dual income no kids, not the slur).