Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-20-17, 06:04 PM
Varsity

orangechik00 is on a distinguished road
Playing other sports during track season

Curious to coaches' policies in regards to track athletes participating in other sports outside of school (JO volleyball, club soccer, AAU basketball) during track season. Thanks for any input coaches might have.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-17, 08:10 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Cant stop this part of sports culture. Almost all of the track athletes we have are either lifting for football or going to some other practice after ours.

If I tried to limit that from them, most would quit track that day. Now I dont have any conflicts with meets from them and they dont miss practices. THey basically are doing it on there own time.
Old 02-21-17, 10:57 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
We allow this but require a meeting with the athlete and parents. What we ask is that (1) we get a schedule for the other sport, so that we can make sure they are not doing too much training and (2) that they commit to track and field for the post season. Our team is big enough that if they miss some regular season meets for the other sport it is not that big a deal. This has worked fairly well for us. Far from perfect, but at least having the discussions explicitly, at the start of the season, with the athletes and parents has cut down on annoying issues during the season.
Old 02-21-17, 09:05 PM
Varsity

orangechik00 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses. I've been doing what was mentioned by you both for several years now, but was open to new ideas. I just can't imagine a student athlete telling his/her soccer or basketball coach that he/she was going to miss practice or a game for club track and field. My guess is they'd be sitting the bench. I guess I'm just getting old and crankier.
Old 02-21-17, 11:27 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechik00 View Post
Curious to coaches' policies in regards to track athletes participating in other sports outside of school (JO volleyball, club soccer, AAU basketball) during track season. Thanks for any input coaches might have.
I'm at a small school, so I'm not in a great position to play hardball with these athletes. More accurately, I like to leave the door open for them, so that maybe they have a good experience with track and field and want to increase their level of commitment to it. We'll let them on the team, but I won't bend over backwards for them. We can only help kids improve if they're present. I'm definitely more sympathetic to the younger kids who don't know better. I don't want to slam the door in their face too soon.

I've had some kids who can't go to weekend meets or can't stay past the 1600 at dual meets because they have a JO volleyball tournament that weekend or a practice that night. Those kids end up with far less opportunities to make a case for why they should be on the postseason roster. I can live with that.

The more frustrating part is when these kids get injured during these other sports and expect us to track coaches to pick up the pieces when it's quite likely that those same injuries are not enough to make them skip any practices or games at that other sport that got them injured in the first place. I've had a few occasions where kids will come in Monday and say their legs are killing them after they had an all-day JO volleyball tournament on Sunday. I also once had a kid who couldn't go to a Friday invite because she had to get her neck adjusted after heading the ball during a club soccer game.