Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 02-15-17, 05:43 PM
afwpatfire afwpatfire is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Stark County
Posts: 3,712
afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Haha, yeah I didn't look at the totals, just that they were listed with only one year. My bad.

List was still way off. That other one looks better.

Never mind again, reading skills are off today, lol.
Noticed the first list was only from the 2000's, ohh geez.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-15-17, 05:51 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 7,484
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Kudos to Kyle!

~ ~ ~

FWIW

Grant's Numbers..

Gary Grant played for 3 (2.7) seasons a McKinley
Did not play as a Fr. ~ Frosh were at the Jr-Hi's
So. 1982 214 pts / 17 games / 12.6 PGA (missed 7 games due to a broken forearm)
Jr. 1983 502 pts / 26 games / 19.3 PGA
Sr. 1984 645 pts / 28 games / 23.0 PGA

Career
3 seasons 1361 pts / 71 games / 19.2 PGA


Notes:
McKinley played by rule a 20 game regular season.

While Grant was a very dangerous offensive player, his actual forte was
defense.

This was prior to the 3-point goal...
3-point goal was not adopted by the OHSAA until the 1990's

:>---

xxxSx

Today's count = 4

Last edited by ohiopup; 02-15-17 at 06:35 PM. Reason: 3 point note
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-15-17, 05:55 PM
bluesteel4 bluesteel4 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-28-05
Location: JACKSON
Posts: 2,507
bluesteel4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Kudos to Kyle!

~ ~ ~

FWIW

Grant's Numbers..

Gary Grant played for 3 (2.7) seasons a McKinley
Did not play as a Fr. ~ Frosh were at the Jr-Hi's
So. 1982 214 pts / 17 games / 12.6 PGA (missed 7 games due to a broken forearm)
Jr. 1983 502 pts / 26 games / 19.3 PGA
Sr. 1984 645 pts / 28 games / 23.0 PGA

Career
3 seasons 1361 pts / 71 games / 19.2 PGA


Notes:
McKinley played by rule a 20 game regular season.

While Grant was a very dangerous offensive player his actual forte was
defense.


:>---

xxxSx

Today's count = 4
Yes Freshman were at the middle school for schooling but they were eligible to play varsity sports.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-15-17, 06:31 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 7,484
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel4 View Post
Yes Freshman were at the middle school for schooling but they were eligible to play varsity sports.
Not in Canton.

:>---

xxxSx
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-16-17, 11:28 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 443
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
So Grant scored all those points in less than 3 seasons and without the 3 point shot? Impressive. With an extra season he would prob be top 5.

But he went to an inner city school that was successful against Jackson so he will never get the respect dues from some people.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-17-17, 04:51 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 382
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel4 View Post
Yes Freshman were at the middle school for schooling but they were eligible to play varsity sports.
No they were not. Trust me, I was a freshman in the Canton City schools at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-17-17, 04:54 PM
McK93 McK93 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-06
Location: Heaven
Posts: 9,539
McK93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
No they were not. Trust me, I was a freshman in the Canton City schools at the time.
Yeah as someone who actually attended the CCS, he's wrong. Freshman didn't play sports for the HS. But leave it to a Jackson guy to tell you the way things were in Canton.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-17-17, 05:16 PM
bluesteel4 bluesteel4 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-28-05
Location: JACKSON
Posts: 2,507
bluesteel4 is on a distinguished road
I don't give a damn one way or the other. Just going by what I was told. Go enjoy your last few games of the season.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-17-17, 05:56 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 382
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
You gave enough of a damn to continue to argue the point.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-17-17, 09:51 PM
McK93 McK93 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-06
Location: Heaven
Posts: 9,539
McK93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel4 View Post
I don't give a damn one way or the other. Just going by what I was told. Go enjoy your last few games of the season.
Nice win tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-17-17, 10:17 PM
bluesteel4 bluesteel4 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-28-05
Location: JACKSON
Posts: 2,507
bluesteel4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK93 View Post
Nice win tonight.
Good wins against Jackson this year.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-17-17, 10:44 PM
McK93 McK93 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-06
Location: Heaven
Posts: 9,539
McK93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel4 View Post
Good wins against Jackson this year.
Hey we're not nationally ranked playing at home with a big lead. It's so nice to see you knocked down a peg or 2. Now tell us more about the inner workings of CCS.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-18-17, 05:39 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 443
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Suprised to see Young shrink in a big game last night. Gary Grant was always at his best in the big moments.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-18-17, 09:49 AM
satriani satriani is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-21-08
Posts: 154
satriani is on a distinguished road
Not saying Young is better than Grant, Grant was a first round NBA pick and Young hasn't even started college yet. However, your comment on Young shrinking is ridiculous. He's had some huge games for Jackson this year (and over his career) and is the best player in the County.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-18-17, 10:17 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,311
Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Suprised to see Young shrink in a big game last night. Gary Grant was always at his best in the big moments.
Anyone who thinks Kyle Young was the reason Jackson lost last night was not at the game.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-18-17, 11:53 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 443
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Reading comprehension must be tough the morning after a big game ha ha

I never said he was why they lost, nor did I comment about anything except last night's performance. One 3 point field goal for the game and not asserting himself in the last quarter was what I referenced.

He was not why they lost, but he did not to enough to secure a win. And he has had a terrific career and I think Butler is a great choice for him.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-18-17, 12:26 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,311
Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Reading comprehension must be tough the morning after a big game ha ha

I never said he was why they lost, nor did I comment about anything except last night's performance. One 3 point field goal for the game and not asserting himself in the last quarter was what I referenced.

He was not why they lost, but he did not to enough to secure a win. And he has had a terrific career and I think Butler is a great choice for him.
I'll admit to a hangover, only partly of which I can blame on the game!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-20-17, 09:31 AM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 4,207
Raymo is on a distinguished road
It's high school basketball with kids,you can blame a coach but never a kid on the team.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-20-17, 10:19 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 443
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
We have been assured that the purpose of this thread was to compare two players . My comment was in that context - Grant typically played big in big games when the lights were brightest. Young did not the other night.

Big time players make big time plays in big games. Young has done it before and will likely do so again, just not the other night.

That being said - Young's coach repeatedly fails to make in game adjustments on the defensive end, especially in the 4th quarter. I think many times Jackson's talent masks the coach's deficiencies.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-20-17, 10:36 AM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,311
Irish60 is on a distinguished road
It's a disservice on this thread to compare Kyle Young to Gary Grant. It's unfair to the young man because it looks like you are dismissing his accomplishments when you say he isn't as good as Grant. Even when you're not! IMO, Grant, along with Phil Hubbard and 2-3 select others are just on a different level. Kyle Young, along with a plethora of other great Stark County players past and present, are at a level just under those very elite few. That is in no way to disrespect Young's accomplishments. He is a great player, and IMO he made a great choice in colleges with Butler. I like the way Butler chooses character along with talent. Both he and the team will reap the benefits of that decision over the next 4 years.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 02-20-17, 03:15 PM
Flood Flood is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-08-03
Posts: 2,801
Flood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
It's a disservice on this thread to compare Kyle Young to Gary Grant. It's unfair to the young man because it looks like you are dismissing his accomplishments when you say he isn't as good as Grant. Even when you're not! IMO, Grant, along with Phil Hubbard and 2-3 select others are just on a different level. Kyle Young, along with a plethora of other great Stark County players past and present, are at a level just under those very elite few. That is in no way to disrespect Young's accomplishments. He is a great player, and IMO he made a great choice in colleges with Butler. I like the way Butler chooses character along with talent. Both he and the team will reap the benefits of that decision over the next 4 years.
Character? Character? Is that a thing anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-20-17, 05:02 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 7,484
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
FWIW...

In 1984 McK was undefeated (#1 in Ohio) and highly ranked Nationaly.

Late (game 17 of 20) in the Season Clv.St.Joe came to the Field House
and knocked off the Pups (73-80). This was a wake-up call for the
Bulldogs and very likely helped them refocus on their ultimate goal.

Hopefully Jackson uses this loss to their advantage.

>---

S-F
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-20-17, 05:35 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 443
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
It's a disservice on this thread to compare Kyle Young to Gary Grant. It's unfair to the young man because it looks like you are dismissing his accomplishments when you say he isn't as good as Grant. Even when you're not! IMO, Grant, along with Phil Hubbard and 2-3 select others are just on a different level.
Hayden Fox has declared that Young is better because he passed him on the scoring list.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-20-17, 10:19 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 382
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
FWIW...

In 1984 McK was undefeated (#1 in Ohio) and highly ranked Nationaly.

Late (game 17 of 20) in the Season Clv.St.Joe came to the Field House
and knocked off the Pups (73-80). This was a wake-up call for the
Bulldogs and very likely helped them refocus on their ultimate goal.

Hopefully Jackson uses this loss to their advantage.

>---

S-F
That St joe's team was huge. 6'9" Treg Lee, 6'11" Eric Riley and 7'0" ? Beauregard. 2 big ten players and a MAC.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-20-17, 10:56 PM
Purple Hayes Purple Hayes is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-16-02
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 827
Purple Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
That St joe's team was huge. 6'9" Treg Lee, 6'11" Eric Riley and 7'0" ? Beauregard. 2 big ten players and a MAC.
Wrong team in the wrong year. That was the 1987 Saint Joe's team.

The SJ team OhioPup is referring to had a couple of outstanding guards, I believe their names were Stanley Kimbrough and Hawkins. I was actually at that game and remember it well!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-21-17, 12:31 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 4,854
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Kyle's march up the scoring list continues. Last night he passed C.J. McCollum on Stark County's All-Time Scoring list.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-22-17, 03:08 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 4,854
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Add another Federal League Player of the Year to Kyle's resume. It was announced today. This is the 3rd consecutive year he has won the award.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-22-17, 03:18 PM
FootsWalker FootsWalker is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-02-07
Posts: 1,478
FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Add another Federal League Player of the Year to Kyle's resume. It was announced today. This is the 3rd consecutive year he has won the award.
That is very impressive to win that award 3 years in a row in any league let alone the Federal League. Congrats to Kyle Young.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-23-17, 06:42 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 382
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Hayes View Post
Wrong team in the wrong year. That was the 1987 Saint Joe's team.

The SJ team OhioPup is referring to had a couple of outstanding guards, I believe their names were Stanley Kimbrough and Hawkins. I was actually at that game and remember it well!
Yes, you are correct now that I think about it. It's getting harder to remember those days!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-23-17, 08:50 PM
Purple Hayes Purple Hayes is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-16-02
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 827
Purple Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
Yes, you are correct now that I think about it. It's getting harder to remember those days!
Hey no problem those were two great teams and I understand how the years can run together

Last edited by Purple Hayes; 02-24-17 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 My Final List Of Teams Seen in Person LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 8 12-06-16 08:19 PM
Muskingum County 38 Licking County 9(All Star Game) LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 1 06-25-16 10:36 AM
My 2015 football season(Playoff game will be added) LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 4 11-01-15 10:02 AM
Stark County Terriers Tryouts for Fall 2015 & Summer 2016 StarkCountyTerriers Baseball 0 07-22-15 01:33 PM
Ohio HS Basketball 2014-15 Streaming Radio, TV Broadcasts jhc2010 Boys Basketball 3 02-05-15 05:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz