Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-17, 11:37 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43,035
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Charles Oakley Arrested at Madison Square Garden After Altercation in Stands

Quote:
Charles Oakley was one of the NBA's foremost enforcers during his playing career, and the 53-year-old's demeanor hasn't softened in retirement.

Oakley got into a shoving match with Madison Square Garden security during the New York Knicks' matchup with the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday night:
Knicks statement:


Read more:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tion-in-stands
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-09-17, 07:20 AM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,787
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Oakley displaying 100% effort during a regular season NBA game.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-17, 07:28 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,217
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Oakley displaying 100% effort during a regular season NBA game.
Something the Knicks have not done in years!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-17, 08:06 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Good for Oakley. Dolan has ruined the Knicks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-17, 08:40 AM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,787
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Always loved Oakley. Cleveland guy. Very tough. Great teammate. It's an all Cleveland story. Dolan is from Cleveland as well.

The Knicks? Carmelo Anthony at the center of it all is the main problem imo. Obviously, the last 20 years or so indicates the team management has problems as well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-17, 09:03 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,743
14Red is on a distinguished road
Wonder how long before this becomes a black/ white issue???
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-17, 09:08 AM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,787
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Wonder how long before this becomes a black/ white issue???
Maybe if you push it...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-17, 09:27 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,743
14Red is on a distinguished road
Watching the video, Oakley is fortunate he wasn't tazed. If a normal fan resisted like that, they would have been dropped. Oakley first puts his finger in the face of a guy, then chest bumps him, and shoves two other guys. I applaud security for not using stronger measures. Then Oakley falls to the ground so they can't move him, what a baffoon.

Very simply put folks, and this is a great lesson. If the authorities ask you to do something...just comply? They guys tried to discreetly remove him from the game, and he made it a spectacle. That says alot on several fronts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-17, 09:40 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Always loved Oakley. Cleveland guy. Very tough. Great teammate. It's an all Cleveland story. Dolan is from Cleveland as well.

The Knicks? Carmelo Anthony at the center of it all is the main problem imo. Obviously, the last 20 years or so indicates the team management has problems as well.
What does Melo have to do with Knicks in the 2000's? Clearly Dolan is the main problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-17, 09:41 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Wonder how long before this becomes a black/ white issue???
Spike Lee already trying to make it one, shockingly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-17, 09:57 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 1,816
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
The statement the Knicks issued was far more embarrassing than Oakley's actions. They are such a mess.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-17, 10:02 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 8,172
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Spike Lee already trying to make it one, shockingly.
I think this calls for the involvement of NYC's preeminent race baiter, Al Sharpton.

You're right on Dolan. All of the Knicks dysfunction comes right back to him. He's made a once proud franchise the joke of the NBA. Who'd have thought Cleveland would end up with the Dolan with some sports success.

While they were at it, they should have escorted Phil Jackson out of the Garden. Talk about a guy sullying his legacy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-17, 03:11 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,510
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
The statement the Knicks issued was far more embarrassing than Oakley's actions. They are such a mess.
Agreed
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-17, 03:45 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Knicks doubling down on dummy with a new PR statement.

  #15  
Old 02-09-17, 10:16 PM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,787
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
What I like and respect about Oakley on the court (his toughness), doesn't work off the court. Read tonight's Times article about Oakley...he's basically still this bully/thug from John Hay. The rules of civilized society don't apply to Oak in his mind.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-17, 12:33 PM
Raymo Raymo is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 4,273
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think this calls for the involvement of NYC's preeminent race baiter, Al Sharpton.

You're right on Dolan. All of the Knicks dysfunction comes right back to him. He's made a once proud franchise the joke of the NBA. Who'd have thought Cleveland would end up with the Dolan with some sports success.

While they were at it, they should have escorted Phil Jackson out of the Garden. Talk about a guy sullying his legacy.
That's exactly what I was thinking,I love Charles...he was a POWER forward...BAM!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-17, 12:36 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Knicks doubling down on dummy with a new PR statement.

TMZ put it out there as well: http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/09/ny-kni...sive-behavior/


They also have this: http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/10/charle...wbw-photo-text

My first instinct is that crazy Harvey of TMZ sides with Dolan. If that is so, I'm guessing he's fishing for and he'll pay well for any amateur vid supporting the notion that Oak was wound up BEFORE he was approached by security.

Given the trashed credibility of the Knicks organization in general, one would think that any MSG security footage that could support their claims that Oak's behavior brought Dolan's security army down on him would be brought to light.

Then you have this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...sted/97672280/

Quote:
"Charles Oakley came to the game tonight and behaved in a highly inappropriate and completely abusive manner. He has been ejected and is currently being arrested by the New York City Police Department. He was a great Knick and we hope he gets some help soon."
That^ portion has some real "judgement" attached to it. Especially coming from a guy that himself was checked in to Hazelden: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_L._Dolan That kind of comment needs to be backed up.

Dude bought a ticket. There was not a judicial order barring his entrance to the arena, to my knowledge. Any footage of "angry Oak" after security shows up is meaningless. It is going to take seeing video of Oak acting out before the "goon squad" showed up to convince me that James L. Dolan isn't a PoS.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-17, 12:38 PM
MontetheCarlo MontetheCarlo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-20-08
Location: Frank Costello's theater
Posts: 6,295
MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
This would have been a lot more fun if one of the little white security guys Oakley pushed turned into Chuck Norris and jacked him up.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-10-17, 12:44 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking,I love Charles...he was a POWER forward...BAM!
Cleveland John Hay HS, couple months younger than me......dude is like a brother! It's ON!! BAM!!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-10-17, 02:45 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,743
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
TMZ put it out there as well: http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/09/ny-kni...sive-behavior/


They also have this: http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/10/charle...wbw-photo-text

My first instinct is that crazy Harvey of TMZ sides with Dolan. If that is so, I'm guessing he's fishing for and he'll pay well for any amateur vid supporting the notion that Oak was wound up BEFORE he was approached by security.

Given the trashed credibility of the Knicks organization in general, one would think that any MSG security footage that could support their claims that Oak's behavior brought Dolan's security army down on him would be brought to light.

Then you have this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...sted/97672280/



That^ portion has some real "judgement" attached to it. Especially coming from a guy that himself was checked in to Hazelden: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_L._Dolan That kind of comment needs to be backed up.

Dude bought a ticket. There was not a judicial order barring his entrance to the arena, to my knowledge. Any footage of "angry Oak" after security shows up is meaningless. It is going to take seeing video of Oak acting out before the "goon squad" showed up to convince me that James L. Dolan isn't a PoS.
I'm not sure Madison Square Garden is a public place. The staff of the Garden and the Knicks have every right to remove people from the games. You may not like Dolan, but he certainly can have people removed.
Oakley is fortunate the security personnel was mild, you get a security guard in a bad mood the other night and Oakley gets tazed. He put his finger in a guys face, chest thumped him and two hand shoved a couple of guys. You tell me you wouldn't have been reaching for your tazer pretty quick?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-10-17, 09:04 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'm not sure Madison Square Garden is a public place. The staff of the Garden and the Knicks have every right to remove people from the games. You may not like Dolan, but he certainly can have people removed.
Oakley is fortunate the security personnel was mild, you get a security guard in a bad mood the other night and Oakley gets tazed. He put his finger in a guys face, chest thumped him and two hand shoved a couple of guys. You tell me you wouldn't have been reaching for your tazer pretty quick?
Cause. I'm looking for cause, before approaching him with a half dozen or more guys.

jeez
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-10-17, 09:09 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
MSG fires their security chief today. Active and former NBA players speaking out for Oak.

I'd guess that former head of security is getting an OUTSTANDING severance package, both on and off the books, and that he'll have little to say on the matter.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-17, 12:15 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 8,172
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Funny how this story has flipped from a drunken possibly mentally ill Oakley getting tossed for being belligerent to people lining up behind him.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-17, 02:16 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Funny how this story has flipped from a drunken possibly mentally ill Oakley getting tossed for being belligerent to people lining up behind him.
A little video with a time stamp could put all that^ to rest, huh ?


Well, I guess the facts wouldn't get in the way of a few supporters, but aren't you surprised that no cell phone or security video of a belligerent Oak BEFORE the security mobbing has shown up ? What reason would Dolan have to sit on it ? Cameras roll to hard drive constantly in there, I'm sure. Where is it ? Some people whip out camera phones as soon as someone gets loud these days. Nothing ?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-17, 04:34 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 8,172
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
A little video with a time stamp could put all that^ to rest, huh ?


Well, I guess the facts wouldn't get in the way of a few supporters, but aren't you surprised that no cell phone or security video of a belligerent Oak BEFORE the security mobbing has shown up ? What reason would Dolan have to sit on it ? Cameras roll to hard drive constantly in there, I'm sure. Where is it ? Some people whip out camera phones as soon as someone gets loud these days. Nothing ?
As if the Knicks needed more reasons to be an embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-17, 10:37 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Look who has a new friend! A "bad guy", even!



http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...purs-vs-knicks

hmmm... http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ell-net-worth/


Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-13-17, 08:13 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
I hope Oakley takes Dolan to court for slander.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-17, 08:53 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
nah

The court of public opinion will have to do.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-13-17, 08:55 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Calling someone a drunk in that fashion when you don't know if they are or not?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-17, 09:01 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 26,537
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Calling someone a drunk in that fashion when you don't know if they are or not?
Oakley admitted he had been drinking. The vague comments I heard could be construed as a reference to anger management. What he likely meant was one thing, but it doesn't seem actionable to me. A pizzin' contest in court between a millionaire and a billionaire i$n't going to go well for the millionaire, especially when his opponent can claim he was acting in his business capacity, and probably use counsel already retained by the business. Seems like a lost cause.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz