Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-17, 04:04 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Proposed Rule Changes

Two proposed rule changes to major league baseball on the table...

1. Intentional walks. Instead of requiring the pitcher to throw for half speed pitches out of the strike zone, a team can just issue the walk with a signal.

2. Strike zone - this is the interesting one. The "idea" is to raise the zone from the hollow of the knee, below the knee cap, to above the kneecap. Seems pretty insignificant, but we'll see how this one goes. The ides is that the strike zone is too low, and raising it may increase offense as pitchers who throw down in the zone will either walk guys, or have to raise their pitches up in the hitting zone, therefore creating better pitches to hit.

Thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-17, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Don't see the need for either. I hate that sports leagues feel the need to change the rules every season. I generally like the pace of play changes but eliminating the intentional walk will do virtually nothing to improve that
Old 02-08-17, 11:34 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Neither are needed, but i have no issue with by passing the formality of throwing 4 straight balls to walk someone.
Old 02-08-17, 02:25 PM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Automatic IBB is fine, saves a minute of inactivity.

As for the strike zone change, it doesn't matter, because the umps all have their own interpretation of the strike zone anyway. If they would call the strikes all the way to the top of the zone now, there would be less pitches taken.

If they enforce the rules on the books today, including the one about the batters being in the box when the 'ready' order is given by the umps, the game would be fine.
Old 02-08-17, 03:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Automatic IBB is fine, saves a minute of inactivity.

As for the strike zone change, it doesn't matter, because the umps all have their own interpretation of the strike zone anyway. If they would call the strikes all the way to the top of the zone now, there would be less pitches taken.

If they enforce the rules on the books today, including the one about the batters being in the box when the 'ready' order is given by the umps, the game would be fine.
wolves, for one of few times...we are in complete agreement. The strike zone is the same interpretation as pass interference to football officials, and block/ charge is to a basketball official. If a pitcher has great control, and they can inch that strike zone down or off the corners and that happens during the course of the game. My guess is you'll see some pitchers/ catchers/ batters/ managers get tossed early this season as we get used to the new definition.

And you are 1000% correct, if we just focus on the rules already in place regarding batters and pitchers not wasting time, the game times will come down dramatically. The only other "managable" issue would be limiting catcher/ pitcher conferences during at bats. These seem to be happening more and more.
Old 02-08-17, 05:47 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Neither are needed, but i have no issue with by passing the formality of throwing 4 straight balls to walk someone.
Anybody else remember the time when Pete Rose swung at (and hit) an attempted IBB pitch and put the ball in play? The defense was completely caught off guard...all runners including Rose were safe and, I believe, a runner from third scored. Pete being Pete.

But, in today's game, nobody would have the balls to do that, so yeah, I don't have an issue either.
Old 02-08-17, 06:03 PM
Fake coolin' off

I heard that story, but thought it was Bench, not Rose. But that's a bit before me so I could be off.
Old 02-08-17, 06:08 PM
Fake coolin' off

Nvm, I did a bit of research and you were right, it was Rose.

Quote:
As Reds’ manager, Sparky probably enjoyed this one a lot more. In the first game of a May 16, 1972 twin bill, with one out in the eighth and Dave Concepcion on second, Pete Rose swung at a deliberate ball thrown by the Giants’ Ron Bryant. Third baseman Jim Ray Hart “was caught by surprise and fumbled [the] ball, allowing Concepcion to score,” according to The Sporting News. It proved to be the winning run for the Reds, making the score 4–2 en route to a 4–3 victory.
This link gives an account of every surprise swing during an attempted intentional walk: http://sabr.org/research/surprise-sw...entional-balls
Old 02-08-17, 06:12 PM
Fake coolin' off

Btw, Bench actually struck out on a fake IBB by the A's.

Old 02-08-17, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Anybody else remember the time when Pete Rose swung at (and hit) an attempted IBB pitch and put the ball in play? The defense was completely caught off guard...all runners including Rose were safe and, I believe, a runner from third scored. Pete being Pete.

But, in today's game, nobody would have the balls to do that, so yeah, I don't have an issue either.
Actually I think Miguel Cabrera did the same thing.
Old 02-08-17, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

Here ya go. Just a really bad pitch. Seems like the same thing could happen to a guy like John Lester since it's so unnatural

Old 02-08-17, 07:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
MLB testing a new radical extra-inning rule in rookie ball to shorten games

Quote:
Major League Baseball plans on testing a rule change in the lowest levels of the minor leagues this season that automatically would place a runner on second base at the start of extra innings, a distinct break from the game's orthodoxy that nonetheless has wide-ranging support at the highest levels of the league, sources familiar with the plan told Yahoo Sports.
Read more:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/re...shorten-games/

Personally, I don't like this rule. Extra inning games aren't that big of a deal and sometimes it's fun to see a game that goes 18 innings. This new rule would make that almost impossible.
Old 02-08-17, 08:36 PM
Fake coolin' off

Yeah, that's a stupid extra inning rule; they need to figure out how to reduce a nine inning game first.

But if this rule ever goes into effect, it may make Billy Hamilton a very important bench player.
Old 02-08-17, 08:40 PM
All Yappi

That's am incredibly stupid idea. Most extra inning games end in the 10th or 11th anyway. Again, stop trying to be like Roger Goodell and leave the game the way it is.
Old 02-09-17, 08:12 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
This sounds like something little league would do, not the MLB
Old 02-09-17, 08:25 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
MLB testing a new radical extra-inning rule in rookie ball to shorten games

Read more:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/re...shorten-games/

Personally, I don't like this rule. Extra inning games aren't that big of a deal and sometimes it's fun to see a game that goes 18 innings. This new rule would make that almost impossible.
Some youth baseball/ softball, adult softball leagues use this tactic to try to shorten games. Mainly due to trying to stay on some kind of schedule.
Old 02-09-17, 08:38 AM
All American

Listened to Lance McCallister's show the other night, from a statistical view, last season, there was 1 intentional walk every 5 baseball games. So you're saving 1 minute every 5 games. This is a cup of water in a pond.

The biggest reason baseball struggles to capture the casual fan is that it's inflexible to change. And please don't get me wrong, I'm really ok with the way things are now. I have no complaints.

But since we're kicking the tires, here are some out-of-the-box ways to speed up major league baseball games...

- 3 balls you walk, 2 strikes you are out - this would drastically change the game for both batter and pitcher. You literally would struggle working a walk. Pitch counts would come way down. Imagine a complete game 60 pitch game??
- 7 innings instead of 9. Lop off the last two innings and you probably save 30-40 minutes off the average game. You also probably could have a roster of 20 instead of 25. The middle relief pitcher would be extinct.
-for pitching changes, the new pitcher gets 0 warm ups. It's like a substitute in basketball or football. They simply come into the game and are ready to play.

Baseball is so tied to records and statistics that any fundamental change to adding / subtracting outs/ innings/ pitches would forever change the rulebooks. Football/ basketball has evolved over time. There was a time when there wasn't a shot clock in basketball, there wasn't a 3 point line, or it was at a different distance. In NFL football, they played 14 regular season games. The rule changes for DB play increased scoring and passing. Baseball simply does not want to change.
Old 02-09-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Last batter to make an out, 1-1 count, too ?

They must need the field cleared for the next game......the umps need a break between games to stay sharp, too, that adds time. Don't want to have to cut the last game short because it's getting dark....

What a bunch of morons. TV MLB is never going to be TV NFL, and this won't help.
Old 02-09-17, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
This sounds like something little league would do, not the MLB
http://www.ohiobaseball.com/index.ph...&id=3&Itemid=4

Quote:
If the game is tied after the time limit has expired – we will use the “Texas Shootout” format to determine a winner. Texas Shootout – 1 full inning – home team remains home team. Inning starts with runner on 2nd base, 3-2 count on the batter, and all ensuing batters, and NO outs. Play 3 outs – both teams bat. If after a full inning is played the game remains tied – we will play a second inning under the same format and so on until a winner is decided.
Old 02-09-17, 09:42 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Dope, MLB is using Little League to form new rules.
Old 02-09-17, 10:08 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
I'd be fine with the rule, but it would just continue to emphasize the importance of relievers IMO.
Old 02-09-17, 07:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Btw, Bench actually struck out on a fake IBB by the A's.

How could any older Reds fans forget that infamous pitch?
Old 02-09-17, 07:41 PM
Fake coolin' off

I think they should have a homerun derby to decide the winner.
Old 02-11-17, 02:42 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Part of baseball's essence is its laid-back nature. We always have the option of watching just part of the game. My preference is to nap during the middle three innings.
Old 02-13-17, 01:59 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
The strike zone won't change due to the reasons listed above. I'd like to see how TV ratings do when games go into extras? I'm personally one who'd tune into a game I wouldn't normally watch if there was free baseball. Sure the extended games hurt me in the morning but the drama that unfolds during that time is worth it.
Old 02-14-17, 09:42 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I heard that story, but thought it was Bench, not Rose. But that's a bit before me so I could be off.
It was Bench
Old 02-14-17, 06:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Nvm, I did a bit of research and you were right, it was Rose.

This link gives an account of every surprise swing during an attempted intentional walk: http://sabr.org/research/surprise-sw...entional-balls
^^^It was Rose.

eastsidepurple already settled the issue and even provided the link in post #8, in this thread.

"As Reds’ manager, Sparky probably enjoyed this one a lot more. In the first game of a May 16, 1972 twin bill, with one out in the eighth and Dave Concepcion on second, Pete Rose swung at a deliberate ball thrown by the Giants’ Ron Bryant. Third baseman Jim Ray Hart “was caught by surprise and fumbled [the] ball, allowing Concepcion to score,” according to The Sporting News. It proved to be the winning run for the Reds, making the score 4–2 en route to a 4–3 victory."
Old 02-14-17, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

It was Bench
Old 02-14-17, 08:02 PM
All World

It was Phillips.
Old 02-16-17, 10:48 AM
All World

Wahoo Sam is on a distinguished road
If you want to speed up the game limit the number of relievers that a Manager can use. Or at least make a reliever pitch to at least 3 batters.

Won't happen because Players union won't allow it and it takes away from commercial revenue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: