Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-18-17, 11:26 PM
All Region

sportsbabe is on a distinguished road
Spider Miller is a decent coach, but his track record isn't the greatest. Couldn't do the job at McKinley with the athletes they had and had only one good year at Perry in 6 years there, in fact many Perry folks think he ruined the program.
He should benefit from the new league scheduling format. Time will tell if he's the answer at EC.
Old 03-20-17, 07:25 AM
Junior Varsity

Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorswitch View Post
I was eating at KFC tonight in Coshocton, don't sleep on ridgewood. They said slusser thinks this team will be better this year than what ridgewood was two years ago and the next two years are when things get really real. Sounds like ridgewood is reloading and they are gonna be ridgewood again.

Lol, I can guarantee coach sluss would never say this. According to him his teams are going 0-10 or 1-9 every year.
I mean one year when he was coaching baseball, a reporter asked him how his baseball team was going to be that year and he responded with "team won't be any good, but we do have the nicest baseball field in the IVC" lol.

Ridgewood is reloading, but it'll take some time. Might have some growing pains in the early part of the season, a lot of youth to grow.
Old 03-20-17, 01:33 PM
Freshman

nomadic man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
I love what Sandy Valley has done since Coach Gardner arrived. But the school (not the coaches or kids) does look like cowards wanting in the small division.

This season SV should be favored against Minerva (who is on the 20 game losing streak)
and their last 5 games against small division opponents. So, unless they trip up like they did last year against TCC, that should give them 6 wins. I see 2 losses for sure (Claymont, Indian Valley) Fairless and Tusky Valley should be toss ups, but both are on the road. I see 6-4, maybe 7-3. And 7-3 probably won't make the playoffs, unless they upset Claymont and Indian Valley.
Not standing up for SV but Regardless of what they do everyone will think they are cowards. Even if they were in the top IVC, they would schedule all of the lower tier schools as their non league and cross over games. Makes to much sense based on location for them. The schedule they created by being in the lower tier is now front loaded. At least their first 5 games will give them a chance to make the playoffs if they can win a few of them. I don't see them beating claymont but the other 4 games are very winnable.
Old 03-21-17, 08:15 AM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
SV should be happy with the recent success

When they have different classes push year in and year out for the title and a playoff spot that is when you know your program has arrived. Led by your outstanding QB the last couple years did push for the league and playoff spots. Now we watch to see how the upcoming classes can maintain this status.

Not going to bash on kids that are working to change things, but not going to say they have arrived either. Rather the fun part of small school football is to see how programs can maintain a level of consistency - from class to class.
Old 03-21-17, 08:51 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsbabe View Post
Spider Miller is a decent coach, but his track record isn't the greatest. Couldn't do the job at McKinley with the athletes they had and had only one good year at Perry in 6 years there, in fact many Perry folks think he ruined the program.
He should benefit from the new league scheduling format. Time will tell if he's the answer at EC.
I am unable to speak for or against Spider's track record because it is what it is; however, you have to do a lot of things right to have those two jobs for any amount of time. Compared to many past coaches East Canton is lucky to have Spider with how much experience he has over the years. Also, what is up with EC hiring all of these Millers in the last few years? Any connection between Spider and the other guy who coached for them before?
Old 03-21-17, 09:08 AM
Varsity

Cardinal Nation is on a distinguished road
Anyone crapping on a coach that got East Canton to the playoffs is an idiot.

Sandy Valley
2000- 2-8
2001- 2-8
2002- 6-4
2003- 3-7
2004- 3-7
2005- 5-5
2006- 3-7
2007- 1-9
2008- 3-7
2009- 5-5
2010- 3-7
2011- 3-7
2012- 4-6
2013- 5-5
2014- 5-5
2015- 10-2
2016- 7-3

And with SV: It looks like our new floor is where our old ceiling was. Leveling up! Cardinal Nation rise up!
Old 03-21-17, 10:02 AM
Freshman

Totally agree Cardinal Nation. Same goes for Gardner and his last few years at the SV. We will see what happens in the future. It just concerns me that Gardner would leave after having the success he has had to go to West Holmes? Not the best job to take right now especially compared to what Sandy Valley has coming up with their schedule. Only speculation from an outsider but did he leave because theres not a lot coming up?
Old 03-21-17, 11:29 AM
All District

Spider Miller - now coach at EC yes does have stints as HC at MCK and PERRY - which both schools had upswings of talent before his tenures, sure HC gets the blame - it is fair to speak with your opinions about records, but in saying that I will say he is a good quality man and ups the game of the younger coaches in the league.

Steve Miller no relation was coach at EC Malvern and Marlington
Doug Miller now the baseball coach at EC was at Canton Central Catholic for YEARS and has some state title rings - the IVC does have quality baseball programs so it will be interesting to see if EC joins that group.
That's what I know from reading the local rag up in stark county.

The first year of this split will be fun to watch all three seasons as the dynamics of divisions change and the new schools are in action.
Old 03-21-17, 02:50 PM
All Region

I'm not an idiot Cardinal Nation, just stating the facts. I said the man was a decent coach, but his track record is what it is. He also got McKinley and Perry to the playoffs....once. Hopefully he learned something from his former stints at Perry and McKinley, let's hope for EC's sake he did.
Old 03-22-17, 08:28 AM
Freshman

Quote:
I'm not an idiot Cardinal Nation, just stating the facts. I said the man was a decent coach, but his track record is what it is. He also got McKinley and Perry to the playoffs....once. Hopefully he learned something from his former stints at Perry and McKinley, let's hope for EC's sake he did.
"Decent coaches" don't get to be the head coach at McKinley or Perry. You don't just walk off the street, interview for those jobs, and keep them for a handful of years. I know plenty of smal school programs pick up "decent coaches" and Spider is not one of them. From what I've heard he's doing a great job with a program that has been tore down by the last Coaches who were "decent" enough to get the job. I would put Spider up against any other coach in the IVC.
Old 03-22-17, 09:01 AM
All District

+1^^^^^^^
Old 03-22-17, 04:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic man View Post
"Decent coaches" don't get to be the head coach at McKinley or Perry. You don't just walk off the street, interview for those jobs, and keep them for a handful of years. I know plenty of smal school programs pick up "decent coaches" and Spider is not one of them. From what I've heard he's doing a great job with a program that has been tore down by the last Coaches who were "decent" enough to get the job. I would put Spider up against any other coach in the IVC.
I wish him well and the young men at East Canton, but your blindness of his track record at his previous stops is interesting. There are reasons he lost those jobs and most likely they were "decent" ones.
Old 03-23-17, 08:00 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I'm not an idiot Cardinal Nation,
Let's agree to disagree.
Old 03-23-17, 08:25 AM
Junior Varsity

East Canton will finish higher than Sandy Valley in the small school division. Not hatin just statin.
Old 03-23-17, 08:39 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
East Canton will finish higher than Sandy Valley in the small school division. Not hatin just statin.
Last 4 years scores? 134- 21
Old 03-23-17, 08:39 AM
Freshman

I think we will let the coaches in the county to decide if spider Miller is more than just a decent coach. I am pretty sure that Thom McDaniels and Kerry Hodakievic would say that spider was a great coach seeing how spider was such a vital part of those state title teams. But of course Thom McDaniels might just be a "decent" coach. I mean any "decent" coach could have taken those McKinley state title teams. Right?
Old 03-23-17, 08:44 AM
All District

Buckeye Trail is not to be overlooked or excused from the convo

certainly SV has had an upswing but new coach and questions at skill has created opportunity for others to step up

EC improved last year from what they had been under last two coaches - I would attribute that to Spider - however they graduate two RBs that accounted for much of their offense, but return skill in qb and wr

Trail returns a strong RB with his class that did have success last year.

will Malvern find their old ways of being super tough under second year coach?
same could be said for Strasburg - who returns a strong runner in their qb
TCC always has knock out potential but hasn't recently put a complete season of winning together.

would love to see Conotton Valley join this group

Last edited by Bandit22; 03-23-17 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 08:56 AM
Freshman

I am intrigued by buckeye trail. They are definitely a dark horse. I don't believe anyone in lower half of IVC has played them in quite some time. Of course being the only team coming into the lower tier this year that was not previously in the IVC could be a major disadvantage.

CV also needs to hop on this chance to get back into IVC for football. They hire a new HC yet? I heard a lot of great things about their previous HC Justus. Would have liked to see a guy like that turn a terrible program around. I mean they won 4 games last year. It would be a grind to get that program up and running again. Fun challenge for a young head coach with energy?

Malvern and Staustucky have all of those athletes that had a great year in basketball. Maybe...two second year coaches can get some of those kids to come out and change the football programs around. They don't have as tough as a schedule now. Sell that in the school.

Question is for TCC, how many transfers can they get? Didn't look like there's a lot in the tank for next year.

EC and SV are my favorites. Advantage EC. Their HC is more "Decent" than SV's new HC
Old 03-23-17, 09:02 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Nation View Post
Last 4 years scores? 134- 21

IDGA% what the last four years worth of scores are. you lost your big guns, only have bracken left, thats not enough.
Old 03-23-17, 09:05 AM
All District

did some digging

Spider was a 19 year assistant coach at McK - that alone would prep a coach superbly to be able to coach a D7 program - yet it is pointed out he didn't have stellar records as a HC at McK and Perry, so yes that did happen, but he must have done something right in order to get those two positions which should not be dismissed. He did end up coaching as an assistant for a couple years over at Washington HS in Massillon - not a bad resume and definitely dwarfs any coaching in the league at this time

lets move on

buckeye trail does graduate a pretty good QB so this could hamper their ability to run if teams stack the box - so will they be able to pass proficiently to keep the secondary honest.
Old 03-23-17, 05:01 PM
All Region

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
Need some help here.
Trying to come up with the current coaches in the IVC, number of years coaching there and their records at the school

Garaway Jason Wallick 16 years (110-57)
Indian Valley Matt Lancaster 10 years (58-48)
Claymont Thom Lesiecki 2 years (7-13)
Ridgewood John Slusser 12 years (106-28)
Tusky Valley George Zagales 2 years (8-12)
Newcomerstown ? Entering 1st year (0-0)

Sandy Valley Brian Gamble Entering 1st year (0-0)
East Canton John "Spider" Miller 1 year (6-5)
Buckeye Trail Donnie Kerns 1 year (6-4)
Malvern Michael Kane 1 year (3-7)
Strasburg Kevin Pollack 1 year (2-8)
TCC Casey Cummings 5 years (26-25)

8 of 12 coaches have been at their current schools 2 seasons or less.
I know it's 8 of 11, but I'm counting the coach Newcomerstown hasn't hired yet.
Is the above data correct?

Last edited by pigskin13; 03-24-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 06:36 PM
Freshman

mingua is on a distinguished road
You are correct about Trail's record (and coach).

I looked in our local preview (Times-Leader) from last year about Trail and asked some of my friends who work at the prison who know some of their coaches...also apparently they are trying to work out a deal to play Harrison Central again. Pontius (their QB) was the "real deal". In their win over Barnesville he accounted for something like 700 all purpose yards 250-300 of them in the air and 6-7 touchdowns. Apparently last 3 or 4 games of season he played with a pretty bad ankle and they sat him for the West Muskingum game. Kid has a really good shot to see some playing time at QB in the OVAC all-star game later this summer. Apparently the up-and-coming QB played one of the receiver positions last year and will be a junior. Not sure what his name is though, but apparently he has played QB before. Take it for what it's worth - but apparently they have a very solid freshman back who may see some playing time. Maybe some split back sets with him and Snodgrass??? Sounds like they have good numbers for a d7 school. 40+ kids.
Old 03-23-17, 06:50 PM
All Region

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
I first heard about the Pontius kid when I was driving home after the Claymont-Rosecrans game, listening to the last quarter of the Trail-Meadowbrook game 0n the radio. A back and forth game with very little defense. Pontius lead a last minute TD drive for the win after the Colts had taken the lead on a kickoff return. And that was after Trail took the lead with under two minutes to go. I've since watched highlights of that game and other Trail games. He looked like a RB playing QB, a great runner, ok passer, great leader. The Warriors will miss him.

I think Buckeye Trail might move back up to D-6 this season.
Old 03-23-17, 11:09 PM
Freshman

colorswitch is on a distinguished road
I watched the Buckeye Trail baseball team play at Coshocton tonight. I got to talk to one for the players dad's. They know week one is gonna be a real struggle against the Wood, they want to be able to win week 2 and 3, against Newcomerstown and I think shenandoah. Then they are worried about Claymont and Indian Valley they think they can compete with the last 5 opponents. They are expecting a 5-5 type season.

Defense will be better just because they can't be worse there.

Offense will be hurting without qb last year but they have a couple nice QBs and nice athletes they could try.

Offensive line will be a strength but it sounds like they are young but potentially could be good.

Nothing against Trail and sv but they are going to do us absolutely no good as cross over games if they only win 5 games. I predict the big and Littles will want to get rid of the cross over games after year one when they see it keep big and small schools out of playoffs.
Old 03-24-17, 07:32 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
Need some help here.
Trying to come up with the current coaches in the IVC, number of years coaching there and their records at the school

Garaway Jason Wallick 16 years (110-57)
Indian Valley Matt Lancaster 10 years (58-48)
Claymont Thom Lesiecki 2 years (7-13)
Ridgewood John Slusser ???
Tusky Valley George Zagales 2 years (8-12)
Newcomerstown ? Entering 1st year (0-0)

Sandy Valley Brian Gamble Entering 1st year (0-0)
East Canton John "Spider" Miller 1 year (6-5)
Buckeye Trail Donnie Kerns 1 year (6-4)
Malvern Michael Kane 1 year (3-7)
Strasburg Kevin Pollack 1 year (2-8)
TCC Casey Cummings 5 years (26-25)

8 of 12 coaches have been at their current schools 2 seasons or less.
I know it's 8 of 11, but I'm counting the coach Newcomerstown hasn't hired yet.
Is the above data correct?

Coach Slusser has been at Ridgewood for 12 years as HC. 24 total.
Overall he is 106-28
102-18 in the regular season
Old 03-24-17, 07:40 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorswitch View Post
Defense will be better just because they can't be worse there.
That's an IVC quote for sure
Old 03-24-17, 08:34 AM
Freshman

Johnny Moxon is on a distinguished road
Not a fan of the crossover games at all.
To eliminate crossovers, you would have to add in more schools because finding 5 non league games might be difficult.
Who will be next to join when they realize crossover games are a joke?
Coshocton? Medowbrook?
Old 03-24-17, 09:10 AM
All District

I figured the crossovers would become a talking point eventually and earlier in the thread I already began the thought process of who would be good to add to eliminate the crossovers

I do like Harrison Central for the big, it is located to the south and is a consolidation school of former IVC members - and their enrollment fits perfect with the others.

The other one would be Conotton Valley, they fit enrollment and are located as close as any other small school.

This eliminates one cross over game and puts both tiers at 7 football schools which would lead to having a floating bye week....meaning a crossover game.

I feel Meadowbrook is too far which is what the league was trying to remedy by adding and splitting. Coshocton does fall into that category of close proximity but their enrollment seems to be at the ceiling and I am not sure if they would get the votes to enter. (this is claymonts chance to be the big fish - not sure they would vote yes)

the old "we will want to see how this works out first" is being employed at this time
Old 03-24-17, 09:51 AM
Freshman

Meadowbrook would be quite a drive for the lower tier of schools but I like those two options for upper tier just based on drive time. I also think the lower tier schools need to be calling Conotton Valley and get them to play football. That's a nice little small school league if they could put together SV, EC, Malvern, TCC, BT, CV, Strasburg, and throw in one of these three....TV, Newcomerstown, or a meadowbrook in to make 8.

Top could be garaway, Indian valley, claymont, wood, coshocton, and two of the teams from tv newcomerstown or meadowbrook. Just need one more after that. Newcomerstown really wouldn't like this move. They would just become a punching bag. Meadowbrook would probably have the same mindset but from last years result they took quite the punishment.
Old 03-24-17, 10:14 AM
All District

harrison central
Garaway
Claymont
IV
Newc
Rdgewood
Coshocton
Meadowbrook

then