Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-31-17, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
I think Claymont will win the Big school next year,get some confiidence and win it most years. The small school looks like a wild card with Sandy, East Canton and maybe Trail.
Curious how competitive balance might alter Central Catholic position,my understanding is that every boy not from New Phila will count as 2.
TCC's enrollment is so small that I wouldn't think a multiplier would be enough to push them out of D7.
Old 01-31-17, 01:54 PM
Varsity

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Agreed.
Old 02-01-17, 09:26 AM
Varsity

Cardinal Nation is on a distinguished road
Anybody hear anything about Sandy Valley's hc search? I had thought they would hire internally because they have just had their 4 best years in school history, but I also thought with their recent success they would get some good candidates to apply.
Old 02-01-17, 12:18 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
and just a note.....I follow several small school leagues around the NE and Eastern part of the state.

Many times I read on here how schools should consolidate. I disagree - I think the small school model is where all schools should go. I also think the small schools provide an opportunity for kids to just play football even tho they mostly will not play after high school. Not everyone is a D1 recruit. Small school leagues while may not have the biggest or fastest or make state championships - still play as hard and care just as much.

In saying that I am excited for the new IVC to kick off!!!
Old 02-01-17, 12:56 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
Small school leagues while may not have the biggest or fastest or make state championships - still play as hard and care just as much.
Yes, absolutely! These games are about effort and are a blast to watch. IV, TV, Garaway, and Ridgewood boys in particular always give their all and it's a treat to watch them will out victories.
Old 02-01-17, 01:57 PM
Junior Varsity

Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
I am excited for the new league as well.
One thing that I am going to miss is the Malvern Ridgewood game. always a fun competitive game against two traditionally rich programs.
This game has been played since the original ivc in 57.(i think that was the year)
Strasburg and Ridgewood were also original members which they are playing in the crossover game this year. Garaway, newcomerstown, and ridgewood (all original members) will still play.
Old 02-01-17, 04:33 PM
All Region

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Malvern Ridgewood should just play as a non conference game.
Old 02-01-17, 05:30 PM
All Region

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Nation View Post
Anybody hear anything about Sandy Valley's hc search? I had thought they would hire internally because they have just had their 4 best years in school history, but I also thought with their recent success they would get some good candidates to apply.
I haven't heard anything. You would think if they were going to hire internally they would have done it by now.
Old 02-01-17, 05:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
I do think Claymont can win it next year, but i think the talent runs pretty empty the year after that. They do have a decent 8th grade class coming. Garaway and Ridgewood will still be competitive because of the programs tradition and success. Just depends how fast the youth grows up because both teams will have skilled youth. Garaway's RB could very well be the player of the year next year. It will be interesting to see if they stay five wide.
I like Claymont as the favorite in the Big this year, they have the most coming back. 7 starters on Offense and all 11 starters on Defense return. Last year they scored 300 points for only the 4th time in the schools 52 year history, the first 3 were 2011, 2012 and 2013. And they set a new school record in rushing with over 3,000 yards, blowing away the old record of 2,260 set in 1994.

RB Xavier Grant returns, he had 1,256 yards on 106 carries last year, an 11.8 yard average. My question is, why did he only carry the ball 10 times a games? RB Hunter Hershberger also returns, he had 604 yards on 77 carries, a 7.8 average, in just 6 games.

Indian Valley should be greatly improved over last year, lead by a talented Junior class.

Garaway and Ridgewood will be tough, they both have built great programs that win year after year.

And Tusky Valley might surprise as they had a very young team last year.

I agree the Winters kid should have a big year for Garaway, he'll probably be the focus of their Offense. I thought their Freshmen QB looked good in a backup role last year.

Should make for some big match ups and fun games.
Old 02-03-17, 08:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Garaway has that 8th grade QB that is going to be a freshman that is really good. Just don't know if he will be ready for Varsity football next year. I think that freshman going to be soph is good as well.

Doverbuck, it would be nice to keep that game going, but Ridgewood needed to get some of the D7's off the schedule (which the new league really helped that) Last year in their region they played more D7's than anyone else (TCC, Strasvegas. EC, Vern and trail in a non league) and Garaway had the 2nd most D7's on the schedule in that region. Wood went 9-1 and barely squeaked in. They are keeping trail on the schedule. The only other two are in their cross over games. so from 5 to 3.

I heard SV was naming a coach today, any truth to that?

203 days until game #1, it'll be Friday nights in the fall before we know it... I hope
Old 02-03-17, 10:17 AM
All District

styx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
203 days until game #1, it'll be Friday nights in the fall before we know it... I hope
This needs to hurry up. So what coach in the IVC has the most playoff appearances?

Is it Slusser at Ridgewood? Lanc at IV? or Wallick at Garaway?
Old 02-03-17, 10:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
This needs to hurry up. So what coach in the IVC has the most playoff appearances?

Is it Slusser at Ridgewood? Lanc at IV? or Wallick at Garaway?
It's gotta be Slusser.
Old 02-03-17, 10:36 AM
Junior Varsity

Slusser has had 10 playoff appearances at Ridgewood.

Wallick has had 4 or 5 at Garaway.

Not sure about Coach Lancaster.
Old 02-03-17, 12:15 PM
All Region

Wallick has 4 (I thought it would have been more) and Lancaster has 4.
Old 02-05-17, 09:53 AM
Junior Varsity

Was the Sandy job hired on Friday?
Old 02-06-17, 09:22 AM
All American

I heard it was their OC, a Perry boy who played for Coach Wakefield.
Old 02-06-17, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
I heard it was their OC, a Perry boy who played for Coach Wakefield.
That would be Brian Gamble, son of former longtime Perry AD and baseball coach Frank Gamble.
Old 02-06-17, 10:57 AM
Freshman

goblue44688 is on a distinguished road
Is Gamble going to coach Football and Baseball?
Old 02-06-17, 08:15 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue44688 View Post
Is Gamble going to coach Football and Baseball?
Article now at fridaynightohio.com.
Old 02-08-17, 09:41 AM
Junior Varsity

under 200 fellas.
198 days until kickoff. (197 if you are playing on thursday) (199 if you are playing on saturday)

How will schools lower levels be in the league?
Old 02-09-17, 07:42 PM
Junior Varsity

With the new numbers being released, Garaway and ridgewood will most likely drop to D6. Sandy will remain D5. And Newcomerstown will drop to D7.
No matter what the schools wanted, it is a JOKE Sandy is in the small school and newcomerstown in the big.

New Numbers
Claymont 215
Indian Valley 189
Ridgewood 140
Garaway 134
Newcomerstown 99

Sandy valley... 154.

Come playoff time, playing another D7 school for the big schools will hurt them. Ridgewood and Garaway might not be affected as much now moving to D6.
Old 02-09-17, 09:08 PM
All American

Gimme a break, SV was the IVC's harbin cow for a decade. Stras Vegas, Malvern, Ridgewood, IV, Garaway and TCC all rode those playoff points to tournament berths, double, triple, and most years quadruple dipping from them. Just like the PAC7 with Timken for a decade.

SV finally turns the corner, no longer subsidizing that easy playoff fuel and a league that's been around since 1967 blows up and you want to complain about SV. Trojans bullied Forgotten Valley out of the league like ninety-something to 0 to make room for SV that year. That infamous year they went 10-0 and didn't make the playoffs. Who gets an invite the next year? Surprise surprise it's SV.
SV beats Ridgewood and then Malvern and then Indian Valley and then Garaway, who they were literally 0-40 against from 2001 on, those schools rejigger their leagues and you want to spin it as a dig on SV. That's priceless.

The d7 points you're worried about will be buoyed by all the crossover game points. When you have a two tier, like the ECOL, that less competitive group gets leeched for points on a gargantuan scale. ECOL big boys did it to the MVL for a few years before they got wise and the ECOL bigs decided to add Marietta (it's own Timken or SV) and split and leech itself.

Enjoy this setup because it will be temporary. Smaller schools are going to realize they're getting mugged, and just like the PAC sans Timken (oh hey IV and TV), or the ECOL with the split (what up Claymont), the smaller schools will be looking to not get their lunch money nabbed or to find another bigger enrollment historically weak program to glue it all together again. IMO the IVC is Humpty Dumpty right now, and it just jumped off a wall. I hope Newcomerstown likes its shorter bus trips.
Old 02-10-17, 07:55 AM
All District

I could....could see where the crossover games would be scaled back to 1 and eventually done away with.

The alignment of the league was generated by the request of both SV and Newc to be in the places they are based on geography. But yes let the schools play cross overs if they like or not.
Old 02-10-17, 09:28 AM
All Region

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With the new numbers being released, Garaway and ridgewood will most likely drop to D6. Sandy will remain D5. And Newcomerstown will drop to D7.
No matter what the schools wanted, it is a JOKE Sandy is in the small school and newcomerstown in the big.

New Numbers
Claymont 215
Indian Valley 189
Ridgewood 140
Garaway 134
Newcomerstown 99

Sandy valley... 154.

Come playoff time, playing another D7 school for the big schools will hurt them. Ridgewood and Garaway might not be affected as much now moving to D6.
Keep in mind these numbers may change drastically with the competive balance adjustments. Garaway and Ridgewood may very well still be D5.
Old 02-10-17, 11:18 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOLace View Post
Keep in mind these numbers may change drastically with the competive balance adjustments. Garaway and Ridgewood may very well still be D5.
They might, but i'm thinking the D6 cutoff will go up and Ridgewoods and Garaway's number won't change alot with the adjustments. not many OE's at the schools.
Old 02-10-17, 09:36 PM
All Region

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They might, but i'm thinking the D6 cutoff will go up and Ridgewoods and Garaway's number won't change alot with the adjustments. not many OE's at the schools.
You have to remember it's based on roster size, not just enrollment.
Old 02-11-17, 07:28 PM
Junior Varsity

Well, I apologize. I was wrong. The numbers that came out were wrong. OHSAA forgot to count career centers. Ridgewood is at 161 and Garaway at 157. And newcomerstown is up to 122. I apologize.
Old 02-21-17, 08:40 AM
Varsity

Cardinal Nation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
SV beats Ridgewood and then Malvern and then Indian Valley and then Garaway, who they were literally 0-40 against from 2001 on, those schools rejigger their leagues and you want to spin it as a dig on SV. That's priceless.
Nailed it!
Old 02-22-17, 08:05 AM
Freshman

RubberChickenII is on a distinguished road
I do not believe anyone is "trashing" Sandy Valley for creating a new league, I think it has to do with the fact that they are in the small side of it. They are the 4th biggest school enrollment wise, bigger than 4 who are in the bigger league. Most likely Sandy will be D5, Buckeye Trail D6 and trhe other 5 schools D7. Ridgewood and Garaway played the same schedule for past however many years as well, but just doesnt make sense for them to be up and Sandy to be down. And on top of that Newcomerstown has no business in the bigger part of league, not sure they would win a game in the smaller part.
Old 02-22-17, 08:18 AM
All District

again - the talk of adding teams and splitting originated with NEWCOMERSTOWN

and they, NEWCOMERSTOWN, insisted on being in the southern portion as travel expenses were their top concern. This was all in the newspapers. NEWCOMERSTOWN wanted the local gates with neighbors and shorter drives. Furthermore Sandy Valley clearly is located next to Malvern and East Canton making that a no brainer for the northern teams. Buckeye Trail in football is the only outlier. Not sure what the basketball stuff will look like.