Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-29-17, 04:08 PM
All Region

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
IVC Football 2017

Thoughts on the IVC for 2017.
2 Divisions this year with last seasons records.

Big Division
Garaway 10-0 (11-1)
Ridgewood 9-1 (9-2)
Claymont 6-4
Indian Valley 5-5
Tusky Valley 3-7
Newcomerstown 3-7

Small Division
Sandy Valley 7-3
East Canton 6-4 (6-5)
Buckeye Trail 6-4
TCC 5-5
Malvern 3-7
Strasburg 2-8

I like Sandy Valley as the favorite in the Small.
Should be a Dog Fight in the Big with Claymont, Indian Valley, Garaway and Ridgewood.
I look forward to a lot of good games.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-17, 11:04 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Crossover games are gonna eat the small division alive for playoff points. I bet they send 4 teams to the tournament and 3 of them will be in the big division.

I think this will be a good league.
Old 01-29-17, 11:43 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Does TCC still employ the five-wide offense? I remember watching them a few years ago and following them through the year and if I recall correctly, it was either "they're going to put up 50+ on you" or, if a team could figure out how to stop it, "they're going to score practically nothing on you." Just kind of a bizarre way to play football.
Old 01-30-17, 01:04 AM
All Region

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
I hope for good, competitive year with little injuries. The crossovers will hurt the smaller teams, I wish they would only do 1 crossover game.
Old 01-30-17, 03:23 AM
Varsity

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Does TCC still employ the five-wide offense? I remember watching them a few years ago and following them through the year and if I recall correctly, it was either "they're going to put up 50+ on you" or, if a team could figure out how to stop it, "they're going to score practically nothing on you." Just kind of a bizarre way to play football.
Yes, Coach Cummings seems to prefer the five-wide, for now. Considering each grade at Central only has a total of about 25-30 students (boys and girls), he probably figures it's his team's best chance to score and win. He's also had a few players who could throw the ball decently. Interesting ... considering his own experience, when he played for Central in the 80's, would have been Coach Teynor's smashmouth offense.
Old 01-30-17, 07:18 AM
All Region

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We played them the last two years and it was a fun game IMO. Honestly, I don't think many teams were able to stone them the last 3 seasons. They might have had a couple low scoring games, but I looked and they only got shutout 3 times over that period of time.

With their small numbers, they seem to have more athletes than lineman...this type of offense plays into their skill set. Basketball on grass...LOL!

I was bummed to see our game with them go away, but excited to see we picked up Malvern.
Old 01-30-17, 09:19 AM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
I think they should get rid of the crossover games all together and allow teams to find their games for weeks 4 and 5. Teams could still agree to play as during league meetings you would have all the ADs right there. (just a note not to follow the ITCL and the crossovers seemed to be a detriment to that league)

I think both tiers are going to be competitive and while there is always a team that looks to be the favorite I think this set up of schools will offer parody.

Off the past couple years one would be inclined to pick Ridgewood and Sandy Valley as the two favs for each tier. I think next year this time we may have some good games that give us a different result.

just a question for fun....who would be good additions to the league (i am not so certain the league ever wants to expand again) I had already stated Conotton Valley for the small tier.
Old 01-30-17, 09:51 AM
All District

styx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They are goofy, unsound, talented, and poorly coached IMO.
Old 01-30-17, 10:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
I think they should get rid of the crossover games all together and allow teams to find their games for weeks 4 and 5. Teams could still agree to play as during league meetings you would have all the ADs right there. (just a note not to follow the ITCL and the crossovers seemed to be a detriment to that league).
I agree with this 100%. It was a big issue with our league from day #1. If the ITCL would have eliminated the cross-over games and let people just pick, then I think it would have continued to be as it was.
Old 01-30-17, 10:14 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
Just curious, what did you find unsound about them?

As far as goofy, 95% of what they do is seen at other schools IMO. A couple off the wall formations, but again, nothing I haven't seen schools in our league try.
Old 01-30-17, 10:39 AM
All District

not sure anyone was banging down the door the last couple times the job at TCC was open. Not alot to work with there, I would have to believe you would want to involve as many offensively as possible.

Kudos to TCC over the last couple years hosting home games and even night games. (no longer use New Phila's stadium)
Old 01-30-17, 10:52 AM
Varsity

Quote:
not sure anyone was banging down the door the last couple times the job at TCC was open. Not alot to work with there, I would have to believe you would want to involve as many offensively as possible.

Kudos to TCC over the last couple years hosting home games and even night games. (no longer use New Phila's stadium)
Yes, they finally got lights!

As far as faves, I'd go with Garaway and Sandy Valley.

Considering Claymont, IV, TV, and Buckeye Trail are fairly recent additions to the IVC, I doubt it will be expanding, again, anytime soon.

Although, I would like to see Conotton Valley rejoin the IVC.
Old 01-30-17, 10:59 AM
Freshman

goblue44688 is on a distinguished road
Sandy Valley loses 12 seniors. Going to be a lot of holes to filling, including Head Coach.
Old 01-30-17, 11:51 AM
Junior Varsity

Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
Garaway and Ridgewood both lost 20 seniors. Going be a dog fight in the big school every friday night. Pre season favorites probably have to be Claymont or I.V. But you can never count out Ridgewood or Garaway.

I like East Canton to win the small school or possibly trail.
Sandy Valley will not win the small school this year. (even though they should be in the big school which is a joke newcomerstown is and not them)
I mean Sandy has 157 boys and Newcomerstown has 113. But lets put sandy in the small and newc in the big... makes sense.
Old 01-30-17, 12:16 PM
All District

Honest Abe, as I have understood the whole let's add teams and split deal - it was started with Newcomerstown. They insisted that they be in large based on geography not demography. They wanted the local games with neighbors of Ridgewood, IV, Claymont and just to their north Garaway.

Newcomerstown understands the tilt on the playing field but would rather have potential for larger gates and less travel.

Sandy Valley, yeah it does look bad they are in the small but looking at the map they fit better with the northern teams. really buckeye trail is the only geographic outlier

and I am pulling for Spider and the hornets as well in the small, Claymont has a returning GROUP so I would give them the nod in the large with TV as my dark horse!!!!
Old 01-30-17, 12:26 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
Garaway and Ridgewood both lost 20 seniors. Going be a dog fight in the big school every friday night. Pre season favorites probably have to be Claymont or I.V. But you can never count out Ridgewood or Garaway.

I like East Canton to win the small school or possibly trail.
Sandy Valley will not win the small school this year. (even though they should be in the big school which is a joke newcomerstown is and not them)
I mean Sandy has 157 boys and Newcomerstown has 113. But lets put sandy in the small and newc in the big... makes sense.
East Canton's and Buckeye Trail's new coaches have done nice jobs of improving their programs. However, all Sandy Valley needs to do is head down Rt. 800 to hire a former Dover player as coach. Success breeds success!
Old 01-30-17, 12:38 PM
All District

can anyone give info on buckeye trail?
Old 01-30-17, 12:41 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post
Just curious, what did you find unsound about them?

As far as goofy, 95% of what they do is seen at other schools IMO. A couple off the wall formations, but again, nothing I haven't seen schools in our league try.
Their gameplan relies on broken plays. On D they're not gap sound, don't read keys, kids run their own stunts, and on O I swear the receivers are running their own routes, at least I hope so, because if those are designed plays the football gods would smite themselves in frustration.

I've been to too many TCC games over the years, my cousins played for them and they're usually the only local Saturday games. Sometimes, it can be downright painful to watch.

I am glad they got their own field, but why oh why are the stands so far back? They're the only local stadium to not have a track around it. I wish they had taken advantage of that and put those stands right on top of the field.
Old 01-30-17, 12:49 PM
All Region

Quote:

It's probably not the easiest place to hire coaches these days. Salary concerns, no PERS/SERS for the teacher/coach, limited amount of teaching positions...etc.

Hopefully they can continue to build on success...it only helps the IVC.
Old 01-30-17, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Yes, they finally got lights!

As far as faves, I'd go with Garaway and Sandy Valley.

Considering Claymont, IV, TV, and Buckeye Trail are fairly recent additions to the IVC, I doubt it will be expanding, again, anytime soon.

Although, I would like to see Conotton Valley rejoin the IVC.
Word on another thread is Conotton Valley will be back in the IVC for all sports except football. That will keep the divisions balanced because Hiland will be in the big division for all the sports that they offer.
Old 01-30-17, 06:21 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=Honest Abe;6688463]Garaway and Ridgewood both lost 20 seniors. Going be a dog fight in the big school every friday night. Pre season favorites probably have to be Claymont or I.V. But you can never count out Ridgewood or Garaway.

I agree. The conference games I look forward to are...
Week 4
Sandy Valley at Indian Valley
Week 5
Claymont at Sandy Valley
Week 6
Claymont at Garaway
Ridgewood at Indian Valley
Week 7
Garaway at Ridgewood
Week 8
Indian Valley at Garaway
Week 9
Ridgewood at Claymont
Week 10
Claymont at Indian Valley
Old 01-30-17, 07:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post

I agree. The conference games I look forward to are...
Week 4
Sandy Valley at Indian Valley
Week 5
Claymont at Sandy Valley
Week 6
Claymont at Garaway
Ridgewood at Indian Valley
Week 7
Garaway at Ridgewood
Week 8
Indian Valley at Garaway
Week 9
Ridgewood at Claymont
Week 10
Claymont at Indian Valley
Going to be some fun games every week, that's for sure!
Old 01-30-17, 09:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Going to be some fun games every week, that's for sure!
And some interesting non-conference games in the first 3 weeks...
Week 1
Claymont at New Philadelphia
Indian Valley at Coshocton
Week 2
Coshocton at Claymont
Manchester at Indian Valley
Week 3
Danville at Garaway
Coshocton at Ridgewood
Old 01-31-17, 12:15 AM
All Region

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Nice to see Kershawkton and the Wood get back into the ring
Old 01-31-17, 09:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
Tell us how you really feel!
Old 01-31-17, 09:34 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Tell us how you really feel!
I did. But just to clarify-

TCC has Dover's arrogance, Phila's parent problems, Claymont's class, and Strasburg's facilities. Could they be any worse?
Old 01-31-17, 09:59 AM
All Region

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
I think Claymont will win the Big school next year,get some confiidence and win it most years. The small school looks like a wild card with Sandy, East Canton and maybe Trail.
Curious how competitive balance might alter Central Catholic position,my understanding is that every boy not from New Phila will count as 2.
Old 01-31-17, 10:11 AM
All District

I DO NOT think Claymont wins it most years - do not underestimate how solid Ridgewood is - they have expectations ingrained in their culture to win at football. Garaway has steadily produced strong teams and is not an easy out. Put in the IV waves they have - when IV is good they win the league no question. TV has had waves of talent and can beat anyone in the league. I do think Claymont has a large group with experience returning and yes should have a solid showing year 1 to the IVC. But year in year out I do believe it is anyone's title to hold.
Old 01-31-17, 10:14 AM
Junior Varsity

Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
I do think Claymont can win it next year, but i think the talent runs pretty empty the year after that. They do have a decent 8th grade class coming. Garaway and Ridgewood will still be competitive because of the programs tradition and success. Just depends how fast the youth grows up because both teams will have skilled youth. Garaway's RB could very well be the player of the year next year. It will be interesting to see if they stay five wide.
Old 01-31-17, 10:30 AM
All District

would love to have harrison central in the big....