Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-20-17, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
North-South Classic returns to Massillon

They never should have moved it.

Quote:
The nation's longest-running high school football all-star game is returning to Massillon.

The 72nd annual Ohio North-South Classic is Saturday, April 29 at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. The North-South Classic is contested between the top senior football players in the state as selected by the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association.

Two games will be played. The first, at noon, features senior athletes from high school football divisions IV, V, VI and VII. The second, at 4:00 p.m., features senior athletes from high school football divisions I, II and III.
http://www.fridaynightohio.com/news/...urns-massillon
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-17, 08:52 PM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't it used to be in the summer?
Old 01-22-17, 10:59 PM
All Region

owencountykentucky is on a distinguished road
I attended Ohio All Star games as far back as 1949 and they were always during the summer.
Old 01-23-17, 09:15 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Maybe the OHSAA considers this game spring football.
Old 01-23-17, 09:44 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by owencountykentucky View Post
I attended Ohio All Star games as far back as 1949 and they were always during the summer.

They were always in the summer and there was only one game.
Old 01-23-17, 10:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontKeith View Post
They were always in the summer and there was only one game.
I think by "games" they meant over multiple years not multiple games each year.
Old 01-23-17, 10:23 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I wish they played it on a Sunday. Lots of baseball, softball, track and other sports still going on in April on Saturdays.
Old 01-23-17, 11:33 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
How are they practicing when everyone's still in school?
Old 01-23-17, 05:54 PM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spize View Post
I think by "games" they meant over multiple years not multiple games each year.
Are you sure about that?

Two games will be played. The first, at noon, features senior athletes from high school football divisions IV, V, VI and VII. The second, at 4:00 p.m., features senior athletes from high school football divisions I, II and III.
Old 01-24-17, 05:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontKeith View Post
Are you sure about that?

I meant the poster recalling multiple games because of multiple years and that the poster wasn't implying they held multiple games each year.

Was not referring to the obvious notion they are playing multiple games this year
Old 01-25-17, 03:24 AM
All Ohio

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Have been going to the NvsS game for years. Went to the Crew stadium, then to Ohio State and onto Dayton. Sad to say I think the 150 plus miles will be just to far for me to drive. Fun to watch and then wonder which of these players will be the ones to play in the Super Bowl. Game was switched from June because of the all-star game with Pa was on the same day. Pa game gone now, They got tired of us beating them up after the date change.
Old 01-25-17, 05:23 AM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
I thought the game was moved to Columbus because Tressel wanted it as a part of the OSU spring festivities, so he could use it as a recruiting tool. I doubt that the game will ever be as successful as it was when it was in Massillon previously, because of the nature of the modern college football requirements, which won't allow for the "star players" to play in the game. Plus some other players are in spring sports.
Old 01-25-17, 06:39 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
I thought the game was moved to Columbus because Tressel wanted it as a part of the OSU spring festivities, so he could use it as a recruiting tool. I doubt that the game will ever be as successful as it was when it was in Massillon previously, because of the nature of the modern college football requirements, which won't allow for the "star players" to play in the game. Plus some other players are in spring sports.
This. Spot on. He!! major college stars are skipping bowl games now.
Old 01-25-17, 12:25 PM
All District

GOBURG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
This. Spot on. He!! major college stars are skipping bowl games now.
The statement that major college stars do not participate is completely false. Last year the majority of players in the DI-DIII game were planning to play college football (DI level) with several OSU buckeyes participating in the game. The big DI recruits missing from this game are the players that early enrolled at their particular school. I cannot confidently speak on the smaller school game, but there were several players participating in this game as well that intended on playing in college.

Once the players are assigned to the team, they practice 2 Sundays prior to the game for 5 hours at a neutral site in full pads. Then the players report to the team hotel the Thursday prior to the game, practice that evening, practice on Friday (morning/afternoon) session and then play the game. For some of the players, it is a great introduction to what to expect in college. For some of the players it is a unique honor ending their HS football career. For the coaches it is an honor to be asked to coach in the game. For the fans and proud parents who have a son/friend/teammate that play in the game it is a reward that is given to a very small # of seniors each year. The tradition and history associated with this game is remarkable. There is a direct link to this game and a former player making it to the NFL and playing in the super bowl (this is part of their marketing/promotions and the # is better than 50% of the SB played there has been an alumni of this game playing in the SB).

Is the 2 games playoff caliber football. Absolutely not. But to say that this game is never going to be what it was is just ignorant.
Old 01-25-17, 02:03 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBURG View Post
The statement that major college stars do not participate is completely false. Last year the majority of players in the DI-DIII game were planning to play college football (DI level) with several OSU buckeyes participating in the game. The big DI recruits missing from this game are the players that early enrolled at their particular school. I cannot confidently speak on the smaller school game, but there were several players participating in this game as well that intended on playing in college.

Once the players are assigned to the team, they practice 2 Sundays prior to the game for 5 hours at a neutral site in full pads. Then the players report to the team hotel the Thursday prior to the game, practice that evening, practice on Friday (morning/afternoon) session and then play the game. For some of the players, it is a great introduction to what to expect in college. For some of the players it is a unique honor ending their HS football career. For the coaches it is an honor to be asked to coach in the game. For the fans and proud parents who have a son/friend/teammate that play in the game it is a reward that is given to a very small # of seniors each year. The tradition and history associated with this game is remarkable. There is a direct link to this game and a former player making it to the NFL and playing in the super bowl (this is part of their marketing/promotions and the # is better than 50% of the SB played there has been an alumni of this game playing in the SB).

Is the 2 games playoff caliber football. Absolutely not. But to say that this game is never going to be what it was is just ignorant.
For the players, families and fans, yes. But for the general public, no. It used to be a great showcase before a football starved crowd. Now, it has none of the former cache. How many came to Dayton to see the game, as opposed to years past? Best of luck to your son in the game.
Old 01-25-17, 06:31 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBURG View Post

He was referring to college stars not playing in bowl games before the NFL draft. Christian McCaffery, the LSU RB Fornette and a few others.
Old 01-26-17, 10:48 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
So weak that the little schools are to small to play with the big dogs
Old 01-26-17, 04:09 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Have been going to the NvsS game for years. Went to the Crew stadium, then to Ohio State and onto Dayton. Sad to say I think the 150 plus miles will be just to far for me to drive. Fun to watch and then wonder which of these players will be the ones to play in the Super Bowl. Game was switched from June because of the all-star game with Pa was on the same day. Pa game gone now, They got tired of us beating them up after the date change.
I drive this 3 days a week for work, it's really not a bad drive at all.
Old 03-11-17, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Under Armour passing out some gear.

Old 03-12-17, 12:28 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I thought another big issue was the conflict with the Big 33 game. Now that PA is playing Maryland in the Big 33 game, I presume that barrier has been removed, right?

BTW, it's interesting that the Big 33 Foundation is shutting down, although the game will continue. It is now being run by the Pennsylvania Scholastic Football Coach’s Association.

http://abc27.com/2017/01/12/big-33-g...ation-closing/
Old 03-12-17, 04:11 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I use to attend this event a lot in the past somehow it lost whatever it had that drew me to it.

I know when it went to Dayton it was hard to get a game time, as it seemed to lose all, well the little press it received in past years.
Old 03-12-17, 07:38 AM
All Region

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
I thought the game was moved to Columbus because Tressel wanted it so he could use it as a recruiting tool.
Moore wanted it in town for the same reason until he found out it was for seniors.
Old 03-13-17, 07:56 AM
All World

Striker300 is on a distinguished road
Too cute, failed attempt at intelligent wit that makes no sense from the guy who posted "protesteth", which isn't a word in any language. Once a fool always a fool, no matter what the new screen name is.
Old 03-19-17, 05:29 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I will take in both games.
Have not been to PBS since the last state final I went to.
Old 03-19-17, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
PBTS is a wonderful place to watch a game. Decent seating, good concessions, plenty of parking, hospitable hosts...