Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-17, 11:34 AM
Varsity

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Week 10 is still filled by Farrell, and that is unlikely to change given the difficulty in finding an opponent with an opening week 10. Additionally, I think this will be a rough year for the green and white given the amount of people they are replacing on the defensive side of the ball. I realize that this three year stretch has been amazing, but many people tend to forget that their success was predicated upon their defense even three years ago. Many of those kids are now gone and they return I believe only one starter on defense. Coupled with the fact they open with a brutal stretch of good football teams, it may be a rough year.
Old 03-07-17, 01:01 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
Week 10 is still filled by Farrell, and that is unlikely to change given the difficulty in finding an opponent with an opening week 10. Additionally, I think this will be a rough year for the green and white given the amount of people they are replacing on the defensive side of the ball. I realize that this three year stretch has been amazing, but many people tend to forget that their success was predicated upon their defense even three years ago. Many of those kids are now gone and they return I believe only one starter on defense. Coupled with the fact they open with a brutal stretch of good football teams, it may be a rough year.
Anything can happen as we saw this year, but I would agree with this assessment. The defense has been a constant these past 3 seasons.

- A lot of defensive starters to replace; including the most prolific tackler in the history of the program.

- Projected starting QB who is not as great of a running threat. Murphy was ridiculously shifty which made opposing defenses have to honor his running ability.

- Need to replace 2 starters on an O-Line that wasn't that good. On one hand, it should be easy to replace them since the line wasn't that good. On the other hand, how much quality was behind those 2 starters if they were good enough to be the starters?

- I'd guess that 90% of the receiving corps' productivity is gone.

- I'd also guess that 60-65% of the rushing productivity is gone. Chase Miller will be getting a lot more carries next fall.

- The punter and kicker are also gone. Granted, the kicker's brother is above average for a HS kicker, and the punter didn't have a huge leg, but he was good at kicking it away from the returners.

- Even more important than that is the fact that the last 3 teams had senior classes of about 15 players or more. Someone in this thread mentioned that next year's team will probably have only 9 seniors. Younger kids are going to have to be able to contribute.

Combine all of that with a schedule that is arguably more difficult than last year's (when I say more difficult, maybe teams like Perry, Jackson, and New Philly won't be as good, but they won't be horrible, and games that ended up being "breathers" like Minerva and Loudonville have been replaced by Strongsville and Winton Woods), and it's going to be a challenge. I don't envision many running clocks (at least not in CC's favor) that have been extremely helpful in keeping players healthy these past 3 seasons.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 03-08-17 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 09:32 AM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Shout out to CCHS Basketball team on big win last Night... Best of luck with Knights!

Go Catholics!
Old 03-08-17, 10:05 AM
All District

andre is on a distinguished road
I ended up seeing one of the returning linemen out last night and talked about the up coming season, and he believes that they are more motivated this season than last season. For the QB spot Stone is an option, but the kid said there are two good freshman quarter backs that played JV last season but I don't know their names that could take the spot. He also mentioned how there is suppose to be two transfer students from Mckinley and perry that are coming for basketball but also might play football and they are both over 6 foot.
Old 03-16-17, 08:03 AM
All District

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
What's the latest info on Fr. Kaylor?
Old 03-29-17, 08:37 AM
All World

For any Jackson Trollers on this thread...

Congratulations to Jackson BB State Champs D1 - again !

That is really something and Jackson has proven that Polar Bears actually did turn into a Powerhouse Sports School in Ohio... 2 Basketball and 1 Baseball Title for boys in like last 7 years!

The Shadow calls it like he sees it - All Props to Jackson Sports Community!
Old 03-29-17, 08:24 PM
All District

A couple of us who where seniors on the 2014 football team were curious about who had the best team from 2014-2016. The 2014 team was the first team in CCHS history to go undefeated, and started the three year run to the finals, but got destroyed by CW (62-21). The 2015 team went 11-4, two of their losses came by a touchdown and lost to CW(35-17). Finally 2016 went 11-3 beat D2 runner-up Perry and finally beat CW for the title(16-13). who is your pick?
Old 03-30-17, 02:21 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
A couple of us who where seniors on the 2014 football team were curious about who had the best team from 2014-2016. The 2014 team was the first team in CCHS history to go undefeated, and started the three year run to the finals, but got destroyed by CW (62-21). The 2015 team went 11-4, two of their losses came by a touchdown and lost to CW(35-17). Finally 2016 went 11-3 beat D2 runner-up Perry and finally beat CW for the title(16-13). who is your pick?
Easy to say that it is the 2016 version because they won it all, but I am not so sure.

The 2014 and 2015 CW teams would likely have put a running clock on the 2016 version of CW to be quite honest with you. As an outsider who did watch some game tape of the CCC teams in 14/15 I would put the 2016 version below both the 14/15 teams. If I had to rank those three for CCC....I would put 2016 in third place. I don't believe 2014 was nearly as bad as the score. Everything just snowballed for them and made it look that bad. They play that game 10 times I think CW wins a vast majority of the time but it would normally be much closer. In looking at just the finals I would say 15th as the best of the 3, but overall I would put 14 right above 15.
Old 03-30-17, 07:39 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Easy to say that it is the 2016 version because they won it all, but I am not so sure.

The 2014 and 2015 CW teams would likely have put a running clock on the 2016 version of CW to be quite honest with you. As an outsider who did watch some game tape of the CCC teams in 14/15 I would put the 2016 version below both the 14/15 teams. If I had to rank those three for CCC....I would put 2016 in third place. I don't believe 2014 was nearly as bad as the score. Everything just snowballed for them and made it look that bad. They play that game 10 times I think CW wins a vast majority of the time but it would normally be much closer. In looking at just the finals I would say 15th as the best of the 3, but overall I would put 14 right above 15.
Spot on assessment here, especially considering that the '16 team had no offensive production throughout much of the season. The only difference I would make is that the '16 team had one of the most stout defenses I have ever witnessed. They possessed speed all over the field which allowed them to play small and disrupt offensive teams throughout the year.

I also think that the '14 team was the most balanced and probably would be the best of the three, then the '16 team and then the '15 team only because of the defense. I agree with thavoice that the '14 game was a snowballing effect that blew the game wide open. If played ten times I think CCC maybe wins 3 or 4 of them, but the games would all be very close. Additionally, I think that the players at CCC overlooked Coldwater because of the success they had on the path to the finals.
Old 03-30-17, 10:11 AM
All World

All three teams great!!!!

My opinion only not taking away from all 3 teams that are basically best along with other state champion teams...

This year Team was longer at Outside positions and could hold and break blocks easier... Coldwater was a finesse power team but this year team had outside size to contain Coldwater.... and had benefit of learning from past 2 defeats!

For the record... Coldwater would have really had problems against 1988 Champ team defense and would have had no answer for Gliatta and speedsters from 2000!

All just my opinion that's all!
Old 03-31-17, 12:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Spot on assessment here, especially considering that the '16 team had no offensive production throughout much of the season. The only difference I would make is that the '16 team had one of the most stout defenses I have ever witnessed. They possessed speed all over the field which allowed them to play small and disrupt offensive teams throughout the year.

I also think that the '14 team was the most balanced and probably would be the best of the three, then the '16 team and then the '15 team only because of the defense. I agree with thavoice that the '14 game was a snowballing effect that blew the game wide open. If played ten times I think CCC maybe wins 3 or 4 of them, but the games would all be very close. Additionally, I think that the players at CCC overlooked Coldwater because of the success they had on the path to the finals.
I would have to disagree with that part. CW had been a regular in the finals even at that time so I don't know how they would be overlooking them. Now, maybe if it was CWs first trip there in a long, long time then maybe I could see a school like CCC overlook the hicks but with because of their past success I find it hard to believe they would overlook CW
Old 03-31-17, 08:24 AM
All Region

Terrible TD is on a distinguished road
Depends on how you want to compare it. If you want to compare it against schedule, then I say 16, 15, 14. I am talking about the success or record of the opponents. Not the name or the tradition. In my opinion until DeSales the 14 team did not play a quality team. They played 2 teams that made the playoffs, none making it to the second round. The 15 team played 4, 1 making to the second round, 1 making in the State finals, and the other 2 making 1 round. The 16 version played 5 with 3 teams making it to the regional finals, 1 in the State finals, 1 to the Regional -semi's, 1 lost in the first round. So watching them and looking at the reults are two different questions. Regardless, both of the 14 and 15 teams made the 16 version the best prepared of the three. Remember: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" Keats.
Old 03-31-17, 09:22 AM
All District

Quote:
I would have to disagree with that part. CW had been a regular in the finals even at that time so I don't know how they would be overlooking them. Now, maybe if it was CWs first trip there in a long, long time then maybe I could see a school like CCC overlook the hicks but with because of their past success I find it hard to believe they would overlook CW
What I think he means is that the players got a big head and became to cocky. We were 14-0 and we beat everybody beside lake by double digits that season. We all knew the success that CW had before we went down to Columbus, I think we just let our success and people get in our heads a little to much and then we got smacked in the mouth hard.
Old 03-31-17, 01:15 PM
All Region

Nino Brown is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, the gold trophy always win. Period. But if we are are going to do a hypothetical game, I will throw my two cents in. I get confused with the years because I sometimes state that 2015 was the best team Central has had. I am referring to to Jake's senior year. So that would be 2014. That team beat Ursuline, and Bishop Hartley to get to the title game. No playoff path has been more difficult in the last three years. That team was explosive on all sides of the ball and would win against any Central team that has ever strapped it up. They could not tackle the QB from Coldwater, so 2014 will remain in 4th place.
Old 03-31-17, 02:51 PM
Varsity

Quote:
I am not implying that the team was unaware of CW, but rather they seemed to have been on top of the world after beating two very good teams. Additionally, if you were to look at the two teams on paper it would appear that Bishop Hartley and Urusline, they looked far superior athletically. However, as we all can remember, CCC came out of the gates nervous, things snowballed and before you could think it was 14-0. So, maybe my choice of words could be better, but it seemed to me that they felt this would be a cakewalk and when they were faced with adversity they were unable to respond.

On that note, I think that the second game between the two schools was far closer than the final score indicated and that there were about three plays that turned the tide against the Crusaders. The hook and lateral was a phenomenal play call from CW and really showed me that they were legitimately concerned about how to move the ball against them. The second big play was the first touchdown that they ran in, when it does not appear that the RB scored, but it would have brought up a fourth and 1 from the 1, which anything could happen. And last but certainly not least, was the overturned interception that was clearly a blown call.
Old 03-31-17, 11:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I am not implying that the team was unaware of CW, but rather they seemed to have been on top of the world after beating two very good teams. Additionally, if you were to look at the two teams on paper it would appear that Bishop Hartley and Urusline, they looked far superior athletically. However, as we all can remember, CCC came out of the gates nervous, things snowballed and before you could think it was 14-0. So, maybe my choice of words could be better, but it seemed to me that they felt this would be a cakewalk and when they were faced with adversity they were unable to respond.

On that note, I think that the second game between the two schools was far closer than the final score indicated and that there were about three plays that turned the tide against the Crusaders. The hook and lateral was a phenomenal play call from CW and really showed me that they were legitimately concerned about how to move the ball against them. The second big play was the first touchdown that they ran in, when it does not appear that the RB scored, but it would have brought up a fourth and 1 from the 1, which anything could happen. And last but certainly not least, was the overturned interception that was clearly a blown call.
My only thing with that first part is that CCC knew CW beat CBH twice the season before, but I get what you are saying. About the hook and ladder.....for some teams maybe I would call it a desperation move, but CW starting back well over 10 years under the late Coach John Reed routinely would toss in a trick play even against lesser opponents so it got some real game timing action.

I agree with that the one TD wasn't. Would they have kicked a FG or went for it? I think they go for it but not a gimmie that they get it.

ALl in all, a good 3 games in a row for those two squads. CW wont make it back this year. As much of a drop off from 2015-2016 there is even a bigger one from 2016-2017. I see a CHCA reloading enough to get to the finals this year. In fact, if their WR's would have catch a few very easy passes, a couple that were sure TD's, they would have given CCC all they could handle in the finals.
Old 03-31-17, 11:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Brown View Post
In my opinion, the gold trophy always win. Period. But if we are are going to do a hypothetical game, I will throw my two cents in. I get confused with the years because I sometimes state that 2015 was the best team Central has had. I am referring to to Jake's senior year. So that would be 2014. That team beat Ursuline, and Bishop Hartley to get to the title game. No playoff path has been more difficult in the last three years. That team was explosive on all sides of the ball and would win against any Central team that has ever strapped it up. They could not tackle the QB from Coldwater, so 2014 will remain in 4th place.
I tend to agree when I compare teams that were so close, but the 2016 team wasn't faced with tackling that CW QB! Not many teams were able to. The only one who was successful was Marion Local. Even though 16 won it, I think that was the 3rd of those three teams
Old 04-01-17, 04:52 PM
All Region

The 88 team was very good. But it was a dive and a toss era. The defense was easy. 2000 had some athletes but no where close to 2014. I want to say that all DB's had a pick six in 14. Slip would know on this. Special teams returns I know was no where close. The offense could ground and pound and be very explosive. It was a class by itself. That class made central football revelvant again.
Old 04-02-17, 08:05 PM
Varsity

Quote:
The 88 team was very good. But it was a dive and a toss era. The defense was easy. 2000 had some athletes but no where close to 2014. I want to say that all DB's had a pick six in 14. Slip would know on this. Special teams returns I know was no where close. The offense could ground and pound and be very explosive. It was a class by itself. That class made central football revelvant again.
Hard to compare different eras but I can tell you this, the 2000 team was the fastest team they've ever had. Three kids rushed for 1000 yards and another for nearly 700. Not to mention, a qb that was the best to play at CCC. If I'm ranking them, 1988 first, 2000 second 2016 third.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-17, 02:48 PM
All World

Quote:
haha....

The 2000 team had 4 of fastest kids ever at Central along with 2014 couple real awesome speedsters too!

Gliatta, Watkins, Warner, Bulso... and each scored like 20 TD each in 2000!

and don't fall asleep on the 1988 team - they beat a high-powered Mck Team along the way!... defense wins championships - don't forget that!

Boy this is fun comparing Central Best Teams ever - ha-ha

Tradition - tradition - tradition!
Old 04-03-17, 09:39 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
1959. ��
Old 04-03-17, 10:15 PM
All Ohio

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
haha....

The 2000 team had 4 of fastest kids ever at Central along with 2014 couple real awesome speedsters too!

and don't fall asleep on the 1988 team - they beat a high-powered Mck Team along the way!... defense wins championships - don't forget that!

Also can't forget two of the better defensive players on that 2000 team Jim Curran and Brandon Fairless. I remember Curran shutting down Lebron at wr in a game in 01 or 02
Old 04-03-17, 10:27 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
Also can't forget two of the better defensive players on that 2000 team Jim Curran and Brandon Fairless. I remember Curran shutting down Lebron at wr in a game in 01 or 02
I don't know about that. If my memory is right, Lebron had 150+ receiving yards in the '01 playoff game at West Branch.
Old 04-04-17, 08:33 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I don't know about that. If my memory is right, Lebron had 150+ receiving yards in the '01 playoff game at West Branch.
OK time for school boys...

Second half of that Game Gliatta went in to guard Lebron and shut him down the second half... and only reason we lost was a fumble at like the 2 yard line at end of game going for the win!

Somebody please double check me on that... my memory is only at like 95% these days - haha
Old 04-04-17, 08:36 AM
All World

Quote:
correct - and Fairless made one of the biggest tackles in CC history on extremely critical 4th down play!
Old 04-04-17, 10:48 AM
All District

16B Gappit Power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Also, wasn't it the freshman Harold covering Lebron for parts of that game?
Old 04-04-17, 11:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
haha....

I got ya shadow. Gialatta was a freak just like the rest of the 2000. Heck, Warner is family. We had plenty of Thanksgiving turkey and chewed on some dirt desert at the farm. He is the best running back the green and white has ever had. But, when comparing teams, all three phases of the game, 2014 was the deadliest. 35 yards in, you were getting points. Defense could score....You know the story. That was unique to 2014
Old 04-04-17, 01:36 PM
All Region

We all cherish our memories of Willy Mayes. We love him. But Bonds was better even befor steroids.
Old 04-04-17, 01:42 PM
All Ohio

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
2017 Canton Central Catholic Crusaders

Hate to say it and scary to think but that 2000 team could have been even better had they started Bill Slife instead of Gialatta. You talk to a lot of people in that class and they will say that Slife was a freak that could throw the ball 70+ yards but got disillusioned with the program and stopped playing. Scary to think what that CCC team could have been with Slife under center and Gialatta at WR
Old 04-04-17, 09:00 PM
All District

16B Gappit Power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hate to say it and scary to think but that 2000 team could have been even better had they started Bill Slife instead of Gialatta. You talk to a lot of people in that class and they will say that Slife was a freak that could throw the ball 70+ yards but got disillusioned with the program and stopped playing. Scary to think what that CCC team could have been with Slife under center and Gialatta at WR
I dont care if he could throw the ball 100 yards. He wouldn't have started over Gliatta. You cant have a guy with that talent at receiver. A guy like that has to have the ball in his hands every play. Its The same reason Ted Ginn was a qb in high school and not a receiver. His running ability was awesome. The St. V's game everyone is talking about is where Gliatta and Warner accounted for every single offensive yard in that game. Also, I believe they did already have a very good backup qb that year. I think he actually played in the east/west game as a qb that year and he never started at Central. Maybe Slife would have been third string and that is why he quit.