Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-05-17, 08:04 AM
All Region

denbigfish is on a distinguished road
Lady Comets - Some Stats

With 18 games under their belts, total per games scoring shows Solon averaging 66 points and giving up 44.

As for Conference foes in their 13 wins, they are winning by 29 points per game. Take away the 8 point win over Euclid at seasons' start, the spread is 31.

Opening day loss to Indiana Lawrence North by 6 and the winter break Michigan Heritage loss by 3 (they played at 7:30 the night before and then had to play again the next morning at 11:30 - that didn't help) were both close losses and definitely in both games.

4 games to go with Mag 9-10, Strongsville 10-9 (5-7 conf), Mentor 13-6 (9-3 conf) and Wadsworth 9-10 (8-4 diff conf) and on to playoffs.

Last edited by denbigfish; 02-05-17 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Updated standings
Old 02-07-17, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denbigfish View Post
Gotta love cleveland.com

They reversed the score. Yes it was a home game. Solon Schools website had it correctly.

Just another twist to 'FAKE NEWS' the universe is dealing with lol.
It was 64-38 and the Comets didn't even appear to be firing on all cylinders. Solon started slowly and let Brunswick hang around, probably longer than they deserved to.

The team looks like it's marking time until the tournament. Then again, maybe Magnificat and Wadsworth will inspire Solon to come out focused and ornery.
Old 02-08-17, 09:45 PM
All Region

Solon goes to 17-2 With Gritty win Tonight.

Magnificat came in with good intentions and it looked that way right up to the beginning of the 4th quarter and then the tide turned.

Solon up 12-7 after 1; 24-22 at the half; down 36-34 after 3; final Lady Comets 54-43. A 20 point final quarter and holding Mag to 7 did the job.

Turnovers cost Solon plenty - 10 in the first half but got it cut down to 5 in the second half. A total of 15 to's is not helping tune up for the playoffs.

Also free throws - overall 15 of 28 for the game They didn't really get consistent until late in the game with Mag's frustration fouls.

Dee was kept in check in the first half with 4 points and finished with 15. Stover led with 16. Valencia with 2 questionable calls that had her playing the 4th quarter with 4. Still a solid rebounding game with 15 and 10 points.

Regardless Mag came to play and Solon needed this push. Mag won both the freshman and JV games. What an impressive program they have.

Solon heads to Mustang country visiting Strongsville Saturday at 2:30.

Go Lady Comets - 3 games to go at Strongsville; at Mentor home Wadsworth.

Last edited by denbigfish; 02-09-17 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

If Solon gets to a district final or regional and plays like they did last night, they'll get eliminated and their state title dreams will end. The Comets spent the first three periods playing sloppy, unfocused basketball. Lots of standing around and not moving without the ball; lots of 1-on-5 offense; lots of trying to make the spectacular pass instead of the sound one. Also, Magnificat ran a lot of motion with backdoor cuts. Solon girls would abandon their mark and chase the ball, allowing the Streaks six or seven easy backdoor layups.

Fortunately, Solon was much taller and a lot more talented than Magnificat. As denbigfish noted, Alexis Stover was absolutely huge in the Comet comeback. She scored most of her 16 in the fourth quarter, and hit perhaps six huge free throws to give Solon a safe lead. Dee Bekelja was great the whole second half, after a rather quiet first half. Mariah Modkins was terrific in the second half, too; mostly on defense, but she also hit a big shot in crunch time. Gabby Mitchell scored six early in the game, when most of the other Comets were cold.

The Comets managed their fourth-quarter comeback with Valencia Myers on the bench for most of the period with four fouls. Valencia did contribute 10 points and several key rebounds while she was on the floor.

I hope this game serves as a wake-up call for the girls. Something has been lacking for the last few games. The intensity level has fallen off a bit. When they destroyed Mentor last month, they looked every bit the soon-to-be state champion. I know they can reach that level again
Old 02-09-17, 12:24 PM
All American

20/20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post

The team looks like it's marking time until the tournament. Then again, maybe Magnificat and Wadsworth will inspire Solon to come out focused and ornery.
Unlike past years, the 10-10 Wadsworth team will not help the comets get ready for the upcoming tournament. If the injury problems stay away next season, things will be back to normal next year. A lot of young players (two freshmen starters) got valuable experience this long season. The trademark depth and quality rotation will return.
Old 02-10-17, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
You guys really should/could give Mags SOME credit and not just find every excuse why Solon didn't play well.
Old 02-10-17, 05:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
You guys really should/could give Mags SOME credit and not just find every excuse why Solon didn't play well.

I guess 'what an impressive program they have' (credit) didn't cut it.

Turnovers and missed free throws are not 'every excuse' but facts. 'Dee was kept in check' (credit).

Mags has consistently produced one of the best programs around.

Mags came to play (credit) which Solon expected.

Good luck with those Pups. Looks like they're rolling right now.
Old 02-11-17, 05:04 PM
All Region

Lady Comets Corral Mustangs 72-49

The scrappy Mustangs never quit although the final shows differently. But if anything, it was the Gabby Mitchell show this afternoon. 19 points with five 3 pointers. Those soft shots were nothing but net today. Combined with her hustling defense, great job by Gabby.

Strongsville kept Stover in check with 2 on the day so Gabby made up the difference.

Dee with another hustling performance with 21 points, 10 assists and one rebound shy of a triple double. Points combined with Valencia's 16, + Gabby +Dee had 57 of the 72 on the day.

Solon matched their turnover total (15) of the other night but when you play a running game like today, that number kind of is a side note. Still, it better improve when they head to Mentor this Wednesday.

Solon 3 of 4 from the free throw line in the first half and no shots at the line in the second half.

Strongsville went 10 of 12 from the line. Refs let these girls play I would say.

Fun side note of the day. At the half time contest from 3 winning tickets drawn, all 3 contestants were short of the mark on their half court shots.
The winner would have received.....wait for it......a years supply of grilled cheese sandwiches.

See everyone Wednesday as the Lady Comets go to put a wrap on an undefeated conference crown.

Last edited by denbigfish; 02-11-17 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-14-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I get your point, MCGal. I probably should have noted that Magnificat had something to do with Solon's uneven performance last week. The Streaks have talent and they're very well-coached. They'd probably finish second in our league.

Sometimes, we tend to focus completely on our own team, because they're our concern. So, naturally, we're dismissive of the other team. It's human nature.

I do want to echo denbigfish's sentiments. Magnificat forced Solon into mistakes, but the Comets also committed too many unforced errors. Missed free throws. Missed layups. And so on.

The Comets really haven't been at their best for a few games (though I heard that Solon played a great second half at Strongsville the other day). We all have such high hopes for this team. And I know the girls are hungry for the state title. So we do want to see them at their best, because it's getting close to tournament time.
Old 02-15-17, 09:58 PM
All Region

Comets Cage Cards Cap Conference Crown At 15-0

First of all, hope everyone made it home safe tonight. Mentor weather not bad. Closer I got towards 271 on 90 was horrendous. Many spin outs.....

Good win for the Lady Comets with some nice side notes:

Congrats to Dee Bekelja in eclipsing the point total for boys and girls Solon basketball with a deep 3 pointer in the 4th at 1,623 points. It was her 21st point on the night and she finished with a game high 28. Perfect 5 for 5 from the line as well. And guess what, she ain't done!

Hats off to the Mentor Coach for allowing the scorers table and announcer to congratulate Dee on her accomplishment by stopping the game and paying tribute. How neat. Thanks Mentor Lady Cardinals.

Also, the Lady Cards closed the gap in the 4th quarter with 7:16 left in the game at 54-49. Coach Kruse got their attention I would say. The Cards never scored again. The final 65-49.

Cards were 11 of 14 from the line. Dee had the only charity stripe visit with her perfect 5 for 5.

Mariah Modkins at 5' stood tall with 13 points. Stover raining 3's with 11 total points . Comets had 8 from long distance on the night. Turnovers improved but still in double figures.

Next up is Wadsworth at home Saturday for Senior night. Then next Thursday at home for the journey in the tourney. Keep hustling Lady Comets!

Last edited by denbigfish; 02-16-17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 11:07 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Does Solon have a scrimmage left ?
Old 02-16-17, 04:08 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Does Solon have a scrimmage left ?
None on their schedule that I see.
Old 02-17-17, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Quote:
I guess 'what an impressive program they have' (credit) didn't cut it.

Turnovers and missed free throws are not 'every excuse' but facts. 'Dee was kept in check' (credit).

Mags has consistently produced one of the best programs around.

Mags came to play (credit) which Solon expected.

Good luck with those Pups. Looks like they're rolling right now.
Sorry, it just always seems like it has to be Solon that played bad for someone to play with them in your guys' posts.. could just be how they're coming across. Pups are playing well but big challenges ahead
Old 02-17-17, 08:29 PM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry, it just always seems like it has to be Solon that played bad for someone to play with them in your guys' posts.. could just be how they're coming across. Pups are playing well but big challenges ahead
I don't think anyone in the Akron District will give McKinley much of a challenge, especially how well Bell is doing and getting help. That will be the Regional Semi.. it's gonna be GlenOak vs. McK round 3.. who will win??
Old 02-18-17, 10:03 PM
All Region

Solon Caps Senior Night with 63-48 Win

There were more bodies on the floor than running on it. Tone was set at the start with both teams playing aggressively. Solon needed a game like this. It was predicted to be a tough one and neither team disappointed.

I feel the game was closer than the final. Solon down 2 zip to start and comes back with 11 straight. Wadsworth answers with a 12-4 run. 1st quarter ends at 15-14 Solon. a little separation at the half, Solon up 30-21. Dee got her first bucket with 4:30 left in the second. She finished the game with 28 and 19 coming in the second half.

Up 46-29 after 3 and lead got as high as 19 in the fourth. Still, you'd never know by that scoreboard as Wadsworth showed solon they weren't backing down. Grizzlies were 14-17 from the line. Solon 9 of 12.

Turnovers - forced or not plagued both. By my count, 50 total with Wadsworth with 27 and the Lady Comets with 23. With the run and gun night that it was, guess this is gonna happen. Refs made their presence known for both teams but fortunately did not decide the outcome.

Congrats to the seniors on both squads. Olivia Chaney and McKenna Brooks for the Grizzlies. Dee Bekelja and Alexis Stover for Solon. Been watching you both since Middle school at Solon. Thank you both for never disappointing.

Nice crowd on hand with numerous college coaches in attendance as well as Josh Cribbs seen and I believe McGal as well. (Looking forward to your perspective.)

Good luck to both squads as they head in to the playoffs. Solon at home this Thursday.

Keep us traveling Lady Comets.

Last edited by denbigfish; 02-19-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-19-17, 12:27 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
I don't think anyone in the Akron District will give McKinley much of a challenge, especially how well Bell is doing and getting help. That will be the Regional Semi.. it's gonna be GlenOak vs. McK round 3.. who will win??
Akron and Canton districts aren't paired up... the Canton District will play the winner of the district that includes Solon and Twinsburg.
Old 02-19-17, 12:29 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Quote:
There were more bodies on the floor than running on it. Tone was set at the start with both teams playing aggressively. Solon needed a game like this. It was predicted to be a tough one and neither team disappointed.

I feel the game was closer than the final. Solon down 2 zip to start and comes back with 11 straight. Wadsworth answers with a 12-4 run. 1st quarter ends at 15-14 Solon. a little separation at the half, Solon up 30-21. Dee got her first bucket with 4:30 left in the second. She finished the game with 28 and 19 coming in the second half.

Up 46-29 after 3 and lead got as high as 19 in the fourth. Still, you'd never know by that scoreboard as Wadsworth showed solon they weren't backing down. Grizzlies were 14-17 from the line. Solon 9 of 12.

Turnovers - forced or not plagued both. By my count, 50 total with Wadsworth with 27 and the Lady Comets with 23. With the run and gun night that it was, guess this is gonna happen. Refs made their presence known for both teams but fortunately did not decide the outcome.

Congrats to the seniors on both squads. Olivia Chaney and McKenna Brooks for the Grizzlies. Dee Bekelja and Alexis Stover.

Nice crowd on hand with numerous college coaches in attendance as well as Josh Cribbs seen and I believe McGal as well. (Looking forward to your perspective.)

Good luck to both squads as they head in to the playoffs. Solon at home this Thursday.

Keep us traveling Lady Comets.
Yep I was there and I wondered if that was Josh Cribbs.. what connection does he have there?

Entertaining game that I agree felt closer than the score. Bekelja lit it up after a slow start. Myers was a force especially on defense. Wadsworth did a good job helping on her and rotating early but Solon got her the ball a lot through the middle of the game.

Congrats to the seniors in the game, on to tourney runs for both
Old 02-19-17, 12:39 AM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Akron and Canton districts aren't paired up... the Canton District will play the winner of the district that includes Solon and Twinsburg.

My bad.. my brackets are off without looking.. So it would be McK and GO in regional final if they both make it that far..>> Where can i find the brackets for this year?? OHSAA still has last years up
Old 02-19-17, 07:22 AM
All Region

Had not seen Josh at any other Solon games before. Maybe he just came out to see a good game. The Kent Coaches were all in front of me. Maybe he asked them if this was a game to attend.
Old 02-19-17, 09:14 AM
Junior Varsity

SCBOH is on a distinguished road
Stover and Bekelja finish their careers beating Wads 3 out of 4 times. Wads is so well coached and always plays so hard. They are going to be fantastic next year when their PG comes back. Lexi Lance is very good and there is also A LOT of young talent there. Dee Bekelja, fresh off of breaking Solon's all time scoring record, finishes with 28 pts. 6 rbds. 5 stls. and 4 asts. Valencia Myers finishes with 20 pts. 7rbds. 4 asts. 7 stls. and 4 blocks. Great Senior Night win and now on to playoffs.
Old 02-20-17, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yep I was there and I wondered if that was Josh Cribbs.. what connection does he have there?

Entertaining game that I agree felt closer than the score. Bekelja lit it up after a slow start. Myers was a force especially on defense. Wadsworth did a good job helping on her and rotating early but Solon got her the ball a lot through the middle of the game.

Congrats to the seniors in the game, on to tourney runs for both

MCGal - Josh Cribbs is godfather to one of Solon's players. I can't remember if it's Alexis Stover or Gabby Mitchell. One or the other. He's attended a few Solon games this year. His son is the kid in the green T-shirt who was throwing the rolled-towels into the stands.
Old 02-20-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Had not seen Josh at any other Solon games before. Maybe he just came out to see a good game. The Kent Coaches were all in front of me. Maybe he asked them if this was a game to attend.
Cribbs has been to a couple of games.
Old 02-20-17, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBOH View Post
Dee Bekelja, fresh off of breaking Solon's all time scoring record, finishes with 28 pts. 6 rbds. 5 stls. and 4 asts.
Dee's accomplishment is a great thing. I don't know whose record she broke, whether it was someone from the girls' team, or the boys'. All I know is that for a long, long time, Solon's leading basketball scorer was Milan Belich, who played for the boys' team for three seasons between December 1978 and March 1981. Belich set his scoring mark before the three-point arc was part of basketball. If Milan had had the good fortune to shoot behind the arc, he'd have set records that no one could touch.

Belich averaged over 30 points per game his senior year, one in which he was named Ohio Division 1 Player of the Year by the Associated Press. And he did it two points at a time. He is the greatest Solon basketball player I've ever seen. Better than Dallas Lauderdale. Better than Kristen Confroy. Better than Mark Minor.

Milan died in his early 20s, in a tragic accident. He was taken much, much too young. He deserves to be remembered. And Milan deserves the respect of everyone who cares about Solon basketball. Please don't ever forget him.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-21-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 05:05 PM
Varsity

oldbwalum is on a distinguished road
Record breaker

Hey Meta -

Great old school info on Milan - thanks. And, yes, how tragic.

Dee broke Dallas Lauderdale's all school record. Gotta think, with hopefully a long playoff run, that record can really stand for a while.

Congrats Dee - very well deserved!

On to the playoffs!
Old 02-23-17, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwalum View Post
Hey Meta -

Great old school info on Milan - thanks. And, yes, how tragic.

Dee broke Dallas Lauderdale's all school record. Gotta think, with hopefully a long playoff run, that record can really stand for a while.

Congrats Dee - very well deserved!

On to the playoffs!
I hope Dee's record falls, and it happens before too long. Please don't misunderstand. If her record falls, that would mean that another Solon Comet is doing great things. If I owned the record, I'd root like crazy for the next challenger, because it would be to the benefit of Solon basketball.
Old 02-23-17, 04:35 PM
Varsity

oldbwalum is on a distinguished road
True!

Very good point! After all - records are made to be broken!!
Old 02-23-17, 09:13 PM
All Region

Lady Comets Take First Step - Top Explorers 80-40

A tad bumpy out there for me but Solon kept up their pressure defense to beat the Explorers 80-40.

Hudson attempted 3's as soon as they got off the bus. 21 of their 25 points in the first half were 3's and 30 of their 40 for the game.

Score by quarters 26-11; 48-25; 61-34 and the final 80-40.

Solon 14 of 17 from the line - nice job. Hudson just 2 of 3.

5 in double figures for Solon with Stover leading with 16.

Solon now stands at 21-2 and takes on Aurora (18-6) who topped Maple Hts 65-57 at 6 Monday at Euclid. Following tilt is Twinsburg (19-5) who beat John Hay 61-21 versus Shaker Hts (12-11) who beat Bedford 55-45. That games is at 7:45.

Last edited by denbigfish; 02-24-17 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-24-17, 06:18 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Solon going to Columbus.
Old 02-24-17, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
A tad bumpy out there for me but Solon kept up their pressure defense to beat the Explorers 80-40.

Hudson attempted 3's as soon as they got off the bus. 21 of their 25 points in the first half were 3's and 30 of their 40 for the game.

Score by quarters 26-11; 48-25; 61-34 and the final 80-40.

Solon 14 of 17 from the line - nice job. Hudson just 2 of 3.

5 in double figures for Solon with Stover leading with 16.

Solon now stands at 21-2 and takes on Aurora (18-6) who topped Maple Hts 65-57 at 6 Monday at Euclid. Following tilt is Twinsburg (19-5) who beat John Hay 61-21 versus Shaker Hts (12-11) who beat Bedford 55-45. That games is at 7:45.

I was really pleased with Solon's play. The girls did what they were supposed to do: stomp a lesser opponent right from the get-go. The Explorers made it somewhat respectable with their crazy three-point shooting. But that's about all they had going for them. Solon owned the frontcourt. Solon owned the backcourt. And Solon owned the paint. It was Valencia's world last night. And she let her teammates share in the fun. Myers was the best player on the floor.

Solon was so dominant that Dee didn't have to score at all, and she didn't for a while. Bekelja finished with 12, but most came after the outcome was settled. But Dee controlled the flow of the game in the open court. Excellent all-around games by Gabby Mitchell, Mariah Modkins and Alexis Stover. And great play off the bench by Kyra Lance, Rian Dortch, Katherine Dittoe and the Ali sisters.

Old 02-25-17, 08:15 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
My bad.. my brackets are off without looking.. So it would be McK and GO in regional final if they both make it that far..>> Where can i find the brackets for this year?? OHSAA still has last years up
Regional Semi-finals will be (#1 seed in parenthesis):

Euclid vs. Canton (Solon, GlenOak)
Perry vs. Akron (Mentor, McKinley)

http://brackets.myohsaa.org/regional...ts=17831&not=4