Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-14-16, 05:53 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Mahoning Valley Athletic Conference 2017

Now that all teams have moved into the off-season the focus is on the initial year of this new conference that has risen from the ashes of the former ITCL. The schools are (with 2016 record):

Jackson-Milton (7-4) D7
Lowellville (0-9) D7
McDonald (6-4) D6
Mineral Ridge (2-8) D6
Sebring (3-7) D7
Springfield (9-3) D6
Waterloo (2-8) D6
Western Reserve (7-3) D6

It should be a very competitive 3 team race for the championship between WR, Springfield, and McDonald. They all went 1-1 against each other with very young squads that return a lot of talent. There will be a clear gap between them and the rest of the league. It will be interesting to see who ends up as the best of the rest. JM is the likely candidate and has been to the playoffs back to back years, but gone will be the talented players like Laster who got them there. Ridge and Waterloo are who I think could battle with JM for that 4th slot. Thoughts?

Edit: not that it makes much of a difference, I had Lowellville at 0-10 when it was only 0-9

Last edited by kingpin2010; 11-16-16 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-16, 06:15 PM
All World

Just a quick brief of McDonald since that's who I'll know about and let other posters fill in their teams. From arbiter and schedule star I've been able to piece most of the schedule together:

1: Brookfield- home
2: Champion- home
3: open
4: Springfield- home
5: Jackson-Milton- away
6: Mineral Ridge- away
7: Sebring- home
8/9: will be Waterloo and Reserve. Do not know which one where or location, though I'd guess Reserve home since we played at WR this year.
10: Lowellville- away

Week 3 OOC will be away I'd assume to keep balance on the schedule for home/away. That spot has been filled nicely over the last 4 years with Cuyahoga Heights in 13-14, 7-2 D5 playoff grand valley in 15, and 8-4 D5 playoff Black River. I do know they've filled that slot late the last few years but we'll see. I do like seeing 2 Trumbull county schools for OOC games, should have nice crowds. Also the "marquee" ganes (Brookfield, Springfield, Reserve) are all at home where McDonald is 13-2 over the last 3 years (10-6 away in that time span).

Offensively the team will be very strong running the ball. Breakout back #31 Cintron will be the focal, don't know the exact stats but probably had around 900 yards rushing and 400 receiving in his sophomore year 2016. With the experience and growth he should be primed for a monster year. #10 Celli will be back, he rotated in most of the year and started the last few games in the backfield and was also a sophomore in 2016. He showed some nice flashes running the ball and should form a nice 1-2 punch with Cintron. 3 offensive linemen return as well, 2 soph and 1 JR so it'll be nice to have stability in that department and not replacing 4 starters like the last 2 years. The passing game will be the big question mark, losing the starting QB, WR, and TE. There are 2 WR returning that got varsity time so theres some experience. Qb will be a question but a strong running attack should help ease the transition.

Defensively is like the offense. The front 7 should be very strong, returning 3 starting linemen and 2 backers (plus a sophomore who started the last 2 games). The front 7 struggled at times due to injury and inexperience in 2016, but that should be flipped in 2017 with a strong group. The secondary however is decimated losing 3 starters from a very good group. There's some promising younger kids that will need to step up big to fill the holes here. The hope will be the front 7 is stingy enough to help the secondary transition.
Old 11-14-16, 10:35 PM
All World

Raider#23
Good OOC games there kingpin. The Devils will definitely get a good test starting off the season with Brookfield and Champion. Too bad South Range and McDonald couldn't hook up for a week 3 game, but maybe in a couple years or sometime in the not too distant future.

Yeah, the MVAC looks to be a three team league with McDonald, Springfield and Western Reserve. With Reserve only having 5 seniors this past year, I'm afraid they may be the team to beat the next couple of years.
Old 11-14-16, 11:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post
Good OOC games there kingpin. The Devils will definitely get a good test starting off the season with Brookfield and Champion. Too bad South Range and McDonald couldn't hook up for a week 3 game, but maybe in a couple years or sometime in the not too distant future.

Yeah, the MVAC looks to be a three team league with McDonald, Springfield and Western Reserve. With Reserve only having 5 seniors this past year, I'm afraid they may be the team to beat the next couple of years.
I like the OOC games as well, 2 Trumbull county schools that should have a nice crowd and Brookfield has had a good prigram built the last 5 years or so. The thing I hate the most about the whole itcl deal was it forcing the SR game to be a one off, would've loved to have SR visit next year. The good thing is McDonald and range will scrimmage next year so there's that at least until a mutual opening happens. Not sure about the week 3 game for 2017, haven't heard any rumors or anythingim so we'll wait and see.

The thing about Reserve though is they are losing extremely talented players. Larimer and Hiles were Reserves 2 best players imo this past year, with Siefert and Klockenga being big contributors as well. They will have Cappabianca back though and he's a load and Vasquez showed a lot of promise at qb later in the year (he really struggled against McDonald). Springfield will be very dangerous with Brungard now having a year experience and growth, they may cut him loose and have him sling it a lot. The Tigers do lose some good skill player in centofani and nezbeth that'll be tough to replace. I think between the 3 the difference will be who gets some younger kids to step in and play well that'll be the difference, so it's hard to say who that could be. I do know that McDonald's freshman class was very promising this year, paired with a sophomore class that already produced 6 starters in 2016 and I think McDonald will come out on top (it doesn't hurt that both Springfield and Reserve will visit McDonald).
Old 11-15-16, 02:29 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Sebring or Waterloo might lose to Lowellville. Barring the OOC schedule, I don't see where else the Rockets make any headway
Old 11-15-16, 07:40 AM
All Region

bop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Just a quick brief of McDonald since that's who I'll know about and let other posters fill in their teams. From arbiter and schedule star I've been able to piece most of the schedule together:

1: Brookfield- home
2: Champion- home
3: open
4: Springfield- home
5: Jackson-Milton- away
6: Mineral Ridge- away
7: Sebring- home
8/9: will be Waterloo and Reserve. Do not know which one where or location, though I'd guess Reserve home since we played at WR this year.
10: Lowellville- away

Week 3 OOC will be away I'd assume to keep balance on the schedule for home/away. That spot has been filled nicely over the last 4 years with Cuyahoga Heights in 13-14, 7-2 D5 playoff grand valley in 15, and 8-4 D5 playoff Black River. I do know they've filled that slot late the last few years but we'll see. I do like seeing 2 Trumbull county schools for OOC games, should have nice crowds. Also the "marquee" ganes (Brookfield, Springfield, Reserve) are all at home where McDonald is 13-2 over the last 3 years (10-6 away in that time span).

Offensively the team will be very strong running the ball. Breakout back #31 Cintron will be the focal, don't know the exact stats but probably had around 900 yards rushing and 400 receiving in his sophomore year 2016. With the experience and growth he should be primed for a monster year. #10 Celli will be back, he rotated in most of the year and started the last few games in the backfield and was also a sophomore in 2016. He showed some nice flashes running the ball and should form a nice 1-2 punch with Cintron. 3 offensive linemen return as well, 2 soph and 1 JR so it'll be nice to have stability in that department and not replacing 4 starters like the last 2 years. The passing game will be the big question mark, losing the starting QB, WR, and TE. There are 2 WR returning that got varsity time so theres some experience. Qb will be a question but a strong running attack should help ease the transition.

Defensively is like the offense. The front 7 should be very strong, returning 3 starting linemen and 2 backers (plus a sophomore who started the last 2 games). The front 7 struggled at times due to injury and inexperience in 2016, but that should be flipped in 2017 with a strong group. The secondary however is decimated losing 3 starters from a very good group. There's some promising younger kids that will need to step up big to fill the holes here. The hope will be the front 7 is stingy enough to help the secondary transition.
Would have loved to see Lisbon and McDonald form an OOC relationship week 3!
Old 11-15-16, 10:37 AM
Freshman

JetBlue227 is on a distinguished road
I would anticipate top 3 in no particular order:
McDonald
Springfield
WR

Middle 2
Mineral Ridge
Waterloo

Bottom 3
Sebring
Lowellville
Jackson-Milton
Old 11-16-16, 03:55 PM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Springfield wins this conference for the next 4 seasons minimum.
Old 11-16-16, 04:01 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
You're being too kind to the other teams....
Old 11-16-16, 04:05 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
0-10? What's going on in Lowellville?

Also, I agree with Spread All Day... Springfield dominates this for the foreseeable future......
Old 11-16-16, 04:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Right because McDonald hasn't beaten them 3 of the last 4 times they've played (2012, 2014, 2016) and in 2015 had a lead until the Tigers scored with under a minute left. Reserve played them the last 2 years beating them by 2 in 2015 and losing by 2 this year. McDonald and Reserve both were extremely young teams this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Springfield finish 3rd given they lose some of their best playmakers in nezbeth and centofani and a couple good linemen.
Old 11-16-16, 04:28 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
Would have loved to see Lisbon and McDonald form an OOC relationship week 3!
That would be a nice matchup. I can't think of a time when they've played on the gridiron? But 2 schools teetering the D6/7 border that have been successful the last few years. If the hoops matchup this past year was any indication it would be a fun game. The OOC slate has been ever changing the last few years, the only school that's stuck has been Springfield and they are a league game now. Otherwise we've played EP, Streetsboro, Cuyahoga Heights, Grand Valley, South Range, Black River with nothing sticking.
Old 11-17-16, 12:13 PM
All World

Springfield has a bunch of very good classes coming up. Plus brungard on the staff pays dividens. You think Poland was overly talented the last decade? They weren't. They had a great coach.

All Tigers. They would be much better suited in the AAC bottom tier.
Old 11-17-16, 12:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
0-10? What's going on in Lowellville?

Also, I agree with Spread All Day... Springfield dominates this for the foreseeable future......
No one worth anything wants to coach there! Heck their best freshman went to struthers this year. I'm not 100% sure but a lot of people are claiming politics. And in a town like lowellville. I don't find that hard to believe.
Old 11-17-16, 12:18 PM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No one worth anything wants to coach there! Heck their best freshman went to struthers this year. I'm not 100% sure but a lot of people are claiming politics. And in a town like lowellville. I don't find that hard to believe.
Should of kept PJ Mays and started plucking kids from Youngstown to help rebuild.
Old 11-17-16, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
PJ Mays?
Old 11-17-16, 01:37 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Waterloo changed league's to be more successful. Won't happen. They will still finish at near bottom of new league. They have never been good in football and only won 1 league championship in the old Portage County league in 1971. They should have stayed and got better like Rootstown has. Heck Rootstown even beat Mogadore this year although a down year for Mogadore. If you can call 9-3 down and playoffs. Just don't see Waterloo being competitive with McDonald, Western Reserve...guess we'll see.
Old 11-17-16, 01:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Springfield has a bunch of very good classes coming up. Plus brungard on the staff pays dividens. You think Poland was overly talented the last decade? They weren't. They had a great coach.

And McDonald/Reserve don't? I mean McDonald had 7 sophomores start at least a game this year with 5 starting the whole year including the best player on the team. The 9th grade class looks to be really good too with a few of them earning spots on special teams this year and carrying a JV squad that won the majority of their games. Reserve was littered with soph/juniors starting and making plays. It won't be "all Tigers", they may win, but it won't be easy and they won't just roll through I guarantee that. Springfield lost to McDonald this year with their best team in years and we had a young, rebuilding squad. They couldn't even muster 200 yards of offense and they lose their best threats not at QB.

You're acting like Poland had no talent at all, which isn't the case at all. Poland had some really good teams that were talented and complimented by solid coaching. But Brunguard isn't even the head man, that's coach Guerrero.
Old 11-17-16, 01:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
Waterloo changed league's to be more successful. Won't happen. They will still finish at near bottom of new league. They have never been good in football and only won 1 league championship in the old Portage County league in 1971. They should have stayed and got better like Rootstown has. Heck Rootstown even beat Mogadore this year although a down year for Mogadore. If you can call 9-3 down and playoffs. Just don't see Waterloo being competitive with McDonald, Western Reserve...guess we'll see.
They won't compete at the top of the league sure, but they should compete with Ridge, Lowellville, JM, and Sebring.
Old 11-17-16, 01:48 PM
All World

Isn't Velazquez the coach at Lowellville now? He did a decent job the one year at ridge he was there so I think if he sticks they'll be a bit better. I'll tell you right now that even though they went 0-9 this year, the team was better and more competitive than last year.
Old 11-17-16, 02:03 PM
Junior Varsity

rover1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolutely, 100% false. They changed leagues to compete with schools their own size. This is coming straight from people in the know there. Look at the league, the MVAC, it is 6 D6 schools and 2 D7's. The PTC county is 2 D4's, 2 D5's, 1 D6, and 2 D7's (counting Lake Center). That is just an awful distribution of size across the board in sports, not to mention the scheduling nightmare having the odd number of teams provides. Nothing to do with thinking they will be more successful and everything to do with competing against schools their own size in a full league. We were very thankful to beat Mogadore this year, but it was the exception, not the norm.
Old 11-17-16, 02:07 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Lowellville is in disarray. The issue with Mays and his 'joke' about asking Youngstown kids to come play for him (whether a joke a not), led to his dismissal. Right before the season. Lowellville probably wasn't going to be good this year anyways.

The thing is, 50% of the kids at Lowellville are from outside the district. The majority from Youngstown. Considering YCS goes almost to the stateline south of Hubbard, there's a lot of families intent on sending their kids to another district. Campbell is closed-enrollment. But, no one athletic seems intent on heading out to Lowellville. Maybe because they're such a small school that a school like Hubbard gets more interest.

But, Lowellville has a good situation if they can take advantage of it. Without OE, the school probably would have closed years ago. 300 students K-12 doesn't cut it. But OE just ups their numbers, it hasn't benefits sports in the least.
Old 11-17-16, 07:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
And McDonald/Reserve don't? I mean McDonald had 7 sophomores start at least a game this year with 5 starting the whole year including the best player on the team. The 9th grade class looks to be really good too with a few of them earning spots on special teams this year and carrying a JV squad that won the majority of their games. Reserve was littered with soph/juniors starting and making plays. It won't be "all Tigers", they may win, but it won't be easy and they won't just roll through I guarantee that. Springfield lost to McDonald this year with their best team in years and we had a young, rebuilding squad. They couldn't even muster 200 yards of offense and they lose their best threats not at QB.

You're acting like Poland had no talent at all, which isn't the case at all. Poland had some really good teams that were talented and complimented by solid coaching. But Brunguard isn't even the head man, that's coach Guerrero.
When Springfield wins the conference I'll revisit this. Coaching matters. Brungard on staff matters. He is not the head man as of today. As of today.

Seems like a 3 team league with a lot of garbage. If Mcdonald plays their cards right they can go 8-2 10-0 every year.
Old 11-17-16, 07:52 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover1988 View Post
Absolutely, 100% false. They changed leagues to compete with schools their own size. This is coming straight from people in the know there. Look at the league, the MVAC, it is 6 D6 schools and 2 D7's. The PTC county is 2 D4's, 2 D5's, 1 D6, and 2 D7's (counting Lake Center). That is just an awful distribution of size across the board in sports, not to mention the scheduling nightmare having the odd number of teams provides. Nothing to do with thinking they will be more successful and everything to do with competing against schools their own size in a full league. We were very thankful to beat Mogadore this year, but it was the exception, not the norm.
Yes but Waterloo was always successful in basketball, girls sports, recently soccer. The old PCL always had bigger schools. I remember my son's Field teams beaten by Waterloo, Rootstown Mogadore. I just don't see why the want to travel more when they are having money problems. The closet new league school will be Western Reserve about 18 miles.
Old 11-17-16, 08:40 PM
All World

Quote:
When Springfield wins the conference I'll revisit this. Coaching matters. Brungard on staff matters. He is not the head man as of today. As of today.

Seems like a 3 team league with a lot of garbage. If Mcdonald plays their cards right they can go 8-2 10-0 every year.
We can revisit this. I'm not saying Springfield won't win it, but it won't be easy. McDonald and Reserve both will be really good next year and into the future. I think 2018 is really the year for McDonald, there will only be about 3 or 4 seniors next year that'll start and the current freshman class is large and looks talented.

Not saying Brunguard doesn't matter, but he's not Nick Saban, he's a good high school coach. Coach Hake is also a good coach, same with coach Guerrero and coach Williams. And coach Guerrero isn't going anywhere, he's had some good seasons 2011, 2014, 2016 and he's been there a long time now.

It's better than the old lower tier, or the last 2 years blue tier which was a 2 team league. It'll be competitive at the top and a big drop off and competitive at the bottom 4. I'm hoping ridge can get someone in there that can get them back to being respectable. If ridge can get back to being competitive like the mid 2000s then this league will have something. But as of right now, McDonald's season will really be how they perform out of league, they'll be 5-2 at worst in league (same as Springfield and reserve).
Old 11-17-16, 11:44 PM
All American

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wouldn't this really be an argument for finding a new league? So, you have not won a league title in 45 years, but you should keep trying? I am not in favor of all the league jumping that goes on, but in this situation it seems reasonable.
Old 11-18-16, 08:45 AM
Junior Varsity

rover1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes but Waterloo was always successful in basketball, girls sports, recently soccer. The old PCL always had bigger schools. I remember my son's Field teams beaten by Waterloo, Rootstown Mogadore. I just don't see why the want to travel more when they are having money problems. The closet new league school will be Western Reserve about 18 miles.
You don't seem to get it. It's about competing with schools their own size. The wins and losses of each sport historically really have nothing to do with it. You reference the old PCL, well in the old PCL Rootstown, Waterloo, Field, Garfield, Windham, Woodridge and Streetsboro were all close to the same size. Mogadore was slightly smaller, Southeast and Crestwood were slightly bigger. Still, all these schools were close in enrollment.

Then times change. Windham left because their enrollment declined significantly. Waterloo's enrollment is dropping as well. Streetsboro and Woodridge have experienced a huge gain in enrollment. At Rootstown, our enrollment has been steady and not changed much.

Why did Mogadore leave the old Suburban league in 1968? For the 10 years they were in the league they only won one league championship, but got to play against Green (20 min away), Copley (21 min away), Revere (30 min away), Hudson (29 min away), Nordonia (17 min away). Why would they not stay in that league?

Answer is simple, they left for a league where they could compete with schools their own size, which was the PCL. Windham just left for a league their own size. Field left the PCL in 78 for the Suburban to play schools their own size because they had outgrown the PCL, but returned in 1990 when enrollment dropped. Southeast, Crestwood, Streetsboro and Woodridge have all shuffled between the county and metro division, why? Because their enrollment changed.

You see, Waterloo is not doing anything that all of the other PTC schools haven't done themselves historically already (including Mogadore). Position themselves in a league that is based on schools similar in enrollment. Criticizing them would be hypocritical, so I wish them good luck in the new league.

Garfield has looked to leave the league, everyone knows that. I really wish Rootstown would follow suit and get us in a league that would be comparable. It's going to be a long few years coming up for us.
Old 11-18-16, 09:55 AM
All District

ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Windham could compete in sports in PCL except Football. Berkshire and Cardinal can not compete with Kirtland and Cuy. Hts in the CVC. The good fit is the PCL. Tallmadge should look at the PTC.
Old 11-18-16, 10:30 AM
Varsity

bmcphers7 is on a distinguished road
When Windham left the PTC, every coach not coaching football was mad. At that time we were dominating Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Softball, had a good Baseball team, and Volleyball. We were always strong in those in the PTC. But Basketball, Softball, Volleyball now yea we wouldn't be able to hang in PTC honestly. A lot of people from Windham still don't like the NAC, only a few teams has football. The football program is turning around and starting to look bright. But yes we are in a conference where majority of the schools are our size. Mathews, Chalker, Newbury, etc.. Rootstown should look at the NAC honestly but that would be a far drive to places like Newbury, Grand Valley, and Py. Valley. There was rumors of Windham, Gville and Rootstown forming their own league with like Newton Falls and a few other schools. What about a league with Windham, Newton Falls, G-Ville, Rootstown, Mathews, Champion, etc.. Waterloo while I see why they moved, they will still struggle I think. McDonald will beat them, Jackson-Milton is better now, the only win I see them getting is Lowelleville
Old 11-18-16, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Brungard might be the best coach in the valley. What he did with Poland was remarkable. he never had talent close to what some others have.

EDIT: not might be, he is.

If I were an AD I'd be calling him ever day to try and get him.

Last edited by EastYoungstown; 11-18-16 at 04:04 PM.