Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-17, 10:47 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
The league is having a down year for basketball, how can you deny that?
Nobody likes an "I told you so" person - but I guess I will have to be disliked. I have felt all season the league was super deep and this tournament is proving that. The GCC has gone 16-3 in the tournament so far. Five of the eight teams playing in district finals tells me the league is not down at all. Only 32 teams left in D1 and 15% are from one league.

If the definition of a strong league means you have to have one strong contender for the state tournament, then I guess the GCC doesn't really have that. But I think the Mentor/Solon winner will probably be the 2nd best team at the CSU regional. Unfortunately for them, the best team will be the first opponent: Ignatius or Eds.

I don't think Shaker, Medina, or Elyria will win their respective finals. But one of them could pull the upset on Saturday. We know that one GCC team will make regionals. If two make it, that will be a fantastic showing.
Old 03-10-17, 06:45 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Greater Cleveland Conference 2016-17

We've been saying it all year cardz. The league is good. You are always going to have people with agendas on sites like this who will spit venom while having no knowledge.

It's been a fun year in the GCC. Great competition with the 8 school league. Glad to be in a fun league again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-17, 12:41 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Nobody likes an "I told you so" person - but I guess I will have to be disliked. I have felt all season the league was super deep and this tournament is proving that. The GCC has gone 16-3 in the tournament so far. Five of the eight teams playing in district finals tells me the league is not down at all. Only 32 teams left in D1 and 15% are from one league.

If the definition of a strong league means you have to have one strong contender for the state tournament, then I guess the GCC doesn't really have that. But I think the Mentor/Solon winner will probably be the 2nd best team at the CSU regional. Unfortunately for them, the best team will be the first opponent: Ignatius or Eds.

I don't think Shaker, Medina, or Elyria will win their respective finals. But one of them could pull the upset on Saturday. We know that one GCC team will make regionals. If two make it, that will be a fantastic showing.
Credit where it's due, Solon and Shaker Heights' wins were impressive and a feather in the cap for the league. Between those games, and several other early round games featuring GCC teams that were favored (Elyria-Olmsted Falls, Medina-Stow, and Solon-Willoughby South), the league's teams won every close district game they were involved in and advanced as many teams as possible.

Take nothing away from what the league has done, but it is a benefit to have teams in four different districts. Some other strong conferences (like the Federal League) that are more geographically-compact have good teams that knock each other out in the district tournament and thus do not have the opportunity to get so many teams into district finals and regionals. This is why I will stand by my earlier comment, however, regarding the league having a down year in terms of true contenders. With the names in this league and the history that some of the programs have, it's not unrealistic to believe that the GCC should have at least one team legitimately vying to go to Columbus every year, and more than just one team being favored to get to regionals.
Old 03-11-17, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

Being placed in four different districts provides opportunities. But even with that, you still have to win the games to get you there.

Let's wait to judge the GCC until all teams are out. There is a chance a second league team wins the district tonight. Shaker lost a close game with Garfield earlier in the year. The Raiders are playing much better now. Medina and Elyria are underdogs, but I think they have a shot.

The Mentor/Solon winner is probably the second best team at CSU. A win over Ignatius or Eds could put them in the driver seat for a regional title. Like I said, don't make a final judgment until the season is complete.
Old 03-11-17, 09:17 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
A few of us out in Lorain County were just talking last night about how bitter Elyria was after getting passed over in the Southwestern Conference expansion. They really wanted in, and they had some support among the SWC schools...but not enough.

Due to their size, I personally feel the GCC is a better situation for them. The concensus is also that Berea-Midpark will eventually leave the SWC for the GCC, even though they have not yet dominated it in anything...as many predicted. Still, Strongsville, Medina and Brunswick are longtime past conference mates, and I think they would like to get together again...but the GCC would need an opening and I don't see one happening, unless Elyria and B-M swapped.

All in all, I think the current GCC is a very solid league, and should have staying power.
Old 03-11-17, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

GCP441 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
A few of us out in Lorain County were just talking last night about how bitter Elyria was after getting passed over in the Southwestern Conference expansion. They really wanted in, and they had some support among the SWC schools...but not enough.

Due to their size, I personally feel the GCC is a better situation for them. The concensus is also that Berea-Midpark will eventually leave the SWC for the GCC, even though they have not yet dominated it in anything...as many predicted. Still, Strongsville, Medina and Brunswick are longtime past conference mates, and I think they would like to get together again...but the GCC would need an opening and I don't see one happening, unless Elyria and B-M swapped.

All in all, I think the current GCC is a very solid league, and should have staying power.
Why not go to a ten team conference adding Cleveland Heights And Garfield Heights,I believe Heights was passed over for Euclid,mainly due to the longtime rivary with Mentor.
Old 03-11-17, 06:16 PM
All District

Mike Gully is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCP441 View Post
Why not go to a ten team conference adding Cleveland Heights And Garfield Heights,I believe Heights was passed over for Euclid,mainly due to the longtime rivary with Mentor.
While you guys are talking expansion which gets everybody excited lol you can't add 1 team to this league. Have to add 2. And It has to be 1 from either side of Cleveland. So Cleveland Heights would be awesome. But you would have to add B-M or Lorain. That would be fun af! Super balanced league of big boy schools!....... I got a little excited there lol
Old 03-11-17, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

Congrats to GCC co-champ Elyria moving on to the regionals with a very impressive win over LEL champ Lorain!
Old 03-11-17, 08:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCP441 View Post

Yeah no thanks. 8 teams is perfect for a league. Going to 10 takes away our out of conference flexibility and nobody wants that

Old 03-11-17, 08:21 PM
All District

Regional bound #PioneerNation!
Old 03-11-17, 08:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Yeah no thanks. 8 teams is perfect for a league. Going to 10 takes away our out of conference flexibility and nobody wants that

Agree. There are already gripes within the ten team SWC about not enough non-league games.

GCC should stick to eight.
Old 03-11-17, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gully View Post
Sweet 16! #PioneerNation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Congrats! Thought Lorain would win a tight one, but certainly not surprised the Pioneers won.
Old 03-11-17, 08:23 PM
All District

Wolfey's tonight?
Old 03-11-17, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Wolfey's tonight?
It will be packed, and festive.

Heck of a night for the GCC. Medina just won the Copley district.
Old 03-11-17, 08:29 PM
All Yappi

Mentor moves on to the Sweet 16, too. Very deep league this year in hoops. Inarguable.
Old 03-11-17, 08:37 PM
All District

Just goes to show how solid our league is. Congrats to all of our conference mates. Great year for the GCC. See the rest of yall on the gridiron lol
Old 03-11-17, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Just goes to show how solid our league is. Congrats to all of our conference mates. Great year for the GCC. See the rest of yall on the gridiron lol
I wish we could see Avon vs Elyria on the gridiron, but that's a conversation for another forum on a another day.

Tonight belongs to GCC hoops, and especially to Elyria, Medina and Mentor. Enjoy!
Old 03-11-17, 08:52 PM
All District

2017 District Champions! #PioneerNation
Old 03-11-17, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

^^^^^^^^

That's what it's all about. Very nice!
Old 03-11-17, 09:05 PM
All Yappi

Congrats to Mentor, Elyria, and Medina! All defeated the top seed at their district tonight to cut down the nets! Three teams in the Sweet 16 is super impressive! Good luck to all three!

Who said the league was down?
Old 03-11-17, 09:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Mentor moves on to the Sweet 16, too. Very deep league this year in hoops. Inarguable.

Yes it is. Objective people like you have been noticing that all year

Old 03-11-17, 09:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Congrats to Mentor, Elyria, and Medina! All defeated the top seed at their district tonight to cut down the nets! Three teams in the Sweet 16 is super impressive! Good luck to all three!

Who said the league was down?

Nobody can say that now. Absolutely nobody. Great night for the league. Good to be in a league where all of the members have pride in the conference again. It's a great league for all

Old 03-12-17, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

Medina is going to have a hard time with Jackson

Mentor has a shot vs Eds but Eds is a definite favorite

Elyria also has some shot in their next game

Regardless, 3 of the final 16 is impressive for the GCC

Old 03-12-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to the Greater Mentor Conference

For what it's worth, in 2012, four of the current GMC teams made the Regional Tournament. Again, not exactly surprising when this happens considering the circumstances. And unlike this year, in 2012, two of those teams were legitimate state title contenders.

But again, kudos to the GMC earning a few upsets (as well as avoiding a few potentially disastrous losses) and parlaying their enrollment and geographic advantages into an opportunity for chest-pounding. And let's also not miss this chance to justify to community stakeholders the sensibility of a league of schools 40-50 miles apart in a densely-populated area.
Old 03-12-17, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
For what it's worth, in 2012, four of the current GMC teams made the Regional Tournament. Again, not exactly surprising when this happens considering the circumstances. And unlike this year, in 2012, two of those teams were legitimate state title contenders.

But again, kudos to the GMC earning a few upsets (as well as avoiding a few potentially disastrous losses) and parlaying their enrollment and geographic advantages into an opportunity for chest-pounding. And let's also not miss this chance to justify to community stakeholders the sensibility of a league of schools 40-50 miles apart in a densely-populated area.
Well, some of these schools simply don't have other options. The situation I am most familiar with is Elyria. They desperately wanted into the local tight geography of the SWC expansion a few years ago, but not enough SWC schools wanted them for various reasons (mostly enrollment size, but I'm sure a few were nervous about the racial and socioeconomic component). So what was Elyria to do? I know on the east side you had some schools running away from Mentor and Solon. These various big schools did the logical thing and banded together to form what has become a highly competitive eight school league. Might not be every school's ideal league make up, but it is pretty good for all of them as is.
Old 03-12-17, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

I realize you wanted Cleveland Heights in the league, but would you do it at the expense of Elyria, for example? Elyria has been a solid, competitive member of this league. An asset. Even better when they get the new football stadium. Do you kick them out in favor of Cleveland Heights or Garfield Heights? Would that be fair, just because Elyria is far from the eastside schools?
Old 03-12-17, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

Bennies is so salty

And is it really chest pounding when we had to hear your crap all year? You talk smack and you are going to get it back when you are proven wrong Deal with it.

Maybe if you'd leave our threads alone and move on instead of being a salty baby while putting the league down however you can, it would be more peaceful here. Move on and get over it

Great to knock off the LEL top teams too by the GCC!

Ps : A Benny fan bringing up advantages is rich too. Below d1 private schools that are recruiting mills that play smaller closed enrollment public have the most unlevel playing field in hs sports. Get out of here with that garbage. Especially in basketball where these much smaller recruiting mills can get 2-3 great players and compete with us

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 03-12-17 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-12-17, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I realize you wanted Cleveland Heights in the league, but would you do it at the expense of Elyria, for example? Elyria has been a solid, competitive member of this league. An asset. Even better when they get the new football stadium. Do you kick them out in favor of Cleveland Heights or Garfield Heights? Would that be fair, just because Elyria is far from the eastside schools?

Of course the GCC isn't going to kick anyone out for those schools. Especially Garfield Hts which brings virtually nothing outside of boys basketball

Bennies likes to bring up geography while completely ignoring that all these schools play far away out of conference games across many sports.

Mentor played Massillon Jackson and had out of state tourneys in bball

Mentor plays Massillon Washington and st ignatius in football. They routinely played Solon strongsville etc in many sports before getting in a league with them

These are 8 big schools. A lot around them are smaller schools. So we all already played schedules with vast geographical reaches. Now we just schedule local schools out of conference to make up for it

He wants the league to fail because he's salty. But he lets the bitterness supersede any rational thought.

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 03-12-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

These are the leagues Bennies probably wants to see:

Berea-Midpark
Brunswick
Elyria
Lakewood
Lorain
Medina
Parma
Strongsville

Bedford
Cleveland Heights
Euclid
Garfield Heights
Maple Heights
Mentor
Shaker Heights
Solon

Sure, they look pretty good on paper, but when you dig deeper you see the reasons why it won't happen.

On the eastside, Bedford, Maple and Garfield are shrinking. So is Solon, but their economics will make up for the enrollment. A few of the districts are financial basket-cases, and I don't think Mentor, Solon, etc, want to float them...much like Germany floats the poorer nations of the EU. I left out Shaw entirely, because that district is such a trainwreck no new league will even consider them.

On the westside, B-M is still working through the consolidation, and they haven't even been able to rise over the smaller SWC league-mates. Lakewood already ran away from the big boys, and they are not all that competitive against the smaller SWC teams, either. Lorain is on a nice roll, but that is an unpredictable district. The Parma consolidation of Valley Forge, Normandy and Parma Sr is going to be painful and divisive in that community.

So, basically, the GCC just skimmed off the cream from the east and west, in an equal four team distribution, to make a very solid eight team league. The best of all worlds, all things considered.
Old 03-12-17, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

Mentor would go independent before having half their football schedule be made up of the 4 Heights and Bedford

The talk of this needs to stop. It's never going to happen. The league will never go to 10 either

The knowledgeable people know this so the message board wishful thinkers can give it a rest

Cjb good job laying it all out objectively