Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-14-16, 11:41 AM
All Ohio

BwickBlueDevil is on a distinguished road
Greater Cleveland Conference 2016-17

who will win the GCC title this year?? who are some players to watch from each team??
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-16, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Cleveland.com has Mentor, Medina, Shaker, Elyria, Solon, and Brunswick in their top 15 in D1. The winner of the league might end up with a few losses. Not a big clear favorite, but Mentor is the closest to that in the preseason.
Old 02-16-17, 05:21 PM
All Yappi

Breaking down the district draw for GCC contenders:

Mentor and Solon are on opposite sides of the bracket and are both the top two seeds. If the chalk holds up, they will be there. But teams like Cleveland Heights, Glenville, and Brush will have something to say about it. I think they will both make it, but it won't be easy.

Brunswick, the No. 3 seed, chose the opposite side of the bracket of Medina (No. 2 seed). After the Blue Devils recent big loss to Medina, I don't blame them for going on the side of Hoban (No. 1 seed). Medina is a favorite to make the final. Don't look past Brunswick either. They have beaten Elyria (twice), Mentor, and Solon.

Elyria is at the top of the league right now and is the No. 2 seed at Elyria Catholic district. The top two seeds (Lorain and Elyria) seem to be ahead of the rest by a good margin. It is very likely these two teams will meet in the final.

The least likely of these six (yet still very possible) to make a district final is Shaker. They are the No. 3 seed at Solon. Shaker played better in the second half of the season, but they haven't been able to get a win over any of the top 5 teams in the GCC. Shaker's main obstacle in making the final will be a good Maple Heights team (No. 2 seed).

I think four teams will make the final, but expect no more than a couple to win the district. The most likely district to have a GCC winner will be at Euclid. Second most likely is Copley. Elyria has a solid shot too. Shaker has almost no chance to win the district, but they could be competitive against the top two seeds.
Old 02-17-17, 11:56 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post

Mentor and Solon are on opposite sides of the bracket and are both the top two seeds. If the chalk holds up, they will be there. But teams like Cleveland Heights, Glenville, and Brush will have something to say about it. I think they will both make it, but it won't be easy.

Brunswick, the No. 3 seed, chose the opposite side of the bracket of Medina (No. 2 seed). After the Blue Devils recent big loss to Medina, I don't blame them for going on the side of Hoban (No. 1 seed). Medina is a favorite to make the final. Don't look past Brunswick either. They have beaten Elyria (twice), Mentor, and Solon.

Elyria is at the top of the league right now and is the No. 2 seed at Elyria Catholic district. The top two seeds (Lorain and Elyria) seem to be ahead of the rest by a good margin. It is very likely these two teams will meet in the final.

The least likely of these six (yet still very possible) to make a district final is Shaker. They are the No. 3 seed at Solon. Shaker played better in the second half of the season, but they haven't been able to get a win over any of the top 5 teams in the GCC. Shaker's main obstacle in making the final will be a good Maple Heights team (No. 2 seed).

I think four teams will make the final, but expect no more than a couple to win the district. The most likely district to have a GCC winner will be at Euclid. Second most likely is Copley. Elyria has a solid shot too. Shaker has almost no chance to win the district, but they could be competitive against the top two seeds.

cardz - Your analysis is right on the mark.

There aren't any great teams in the GCC, but there are plenty of tough, solid teams. Our league has proven to be competitive and balanced in just about every sport. Lots of good races. Lots of close, competitive games. And every school adds something to the mix; if not in one sport, then another.

The only thing I don't like about our league is the distance to Elyria from the east side. I'd rather have Stow or Hudson. But Elyria is a solid addition from a competitive standpoint.

GCC basketball will be even tougher and more competitive next year. Beaucoup young talent returning on just about every team. I expect Euclid to be much better. I think Shaker will be a contender. Good times ahead.
Old 02-18-17, 07:39 AM
All Yappi

Shaker upsets Medina last night. The Raiders had been knocking on the door of winning against one of the top GCC teams and they finally got one. Mentor beats Elyria at home. Mentor is tied with Elyria in the loss column, but they have one more win. One final week of big games highlighted by Mentor/Medina and Elyria/Solon
Old 02-18-17, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I see Elyria and Lorain on a collision course for a district final. I see Elyria as the more vulnerable of the two to get upset early by a hot shooting SWC team, but I expect a Lorain vs Elyria battle in the end. I would take Lorain, but it should be a tight game. The winner gets the Copley winner in the regional semi in Akron.
Old 02-18-17, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
I'd say it's a down year overall for the league, particularly with Mentor and Shaker not being as strong as they normally have been. But because of a geographically-fixed district format they have a chance to get a few teams out of districts. I agree with the above analysis that the Euclid district probably offers the best chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
The only thing I don't like about our league is the distance to Elyria from the east side. I'd rather have Stow or Hudson. But Elyria is a solid addition from a competitive standpoint.
That ship has sailed because those are the schools that wanted nothing to do with the larger former NOC schools. But Solon could probably ask into the SL and be accepted at any point in time. Might even be easier to justify if/when Solon moves down to DII in football.
Old 02-18-17, 10:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
I'd say it's a down year overall for the league, particularly with Mentor and Shaker not being as strong as they normally have been. But because of a geographically-fixed district format they have a chance to get a few teams out of districts. I agree with the above analysis that the Euclid district probably offers the best chance.

That ship has sailed because those are the schools that wanted nothing to do with the larger former NOC schools. But Solon could probably ask into the SL and be accepted at any point in time. Might even be easier to justify if/when Solon moves down to DII in football.

I don't want to see Solon in the Suburban League. The Comets are right where they belong.

And I know Stow and Hudson don't want to be part of our league. They'd rather take the easy road, blowing out North Royalton and Calahooga Falls every week. Maybe they'll get bored someday and look for more competitive fare.
Old 02-18-17, 11:33 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Greater Cleveland Conference 2016-17

Shocker that bennies comes into yet another gcc thread to down the league any way he can

Meta the league is working across all sports. We know this. He was hoping it would fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-17, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I don't want to see Solon in the Suburban League. The Comets are right where they belong.

And I know Stow and Hudson don't want to be part of our league. They'd rather take the easy road, blowing out North Royalton and Calahooga Falls every week. Maybe they'll get bored someday and look for more competitive fare.
When was the last time Solon beat Hudson or Stow? Seems like both schools are doing just fine building real neighborhood rivalries, saving time and money on transportation at all levels of sports (for fans as well), and still finding success in the postseason. If Solon were smart they'd look to follow the same blueprint.
Old 02-19-17, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Shocker that bennies comes into yet another gcc thread to down the league any way he can

Meta the league is working across all sports. We know this. He was hoping it would fail
The league is having a down year for basketball, how can you deny that?

As for whether or not it will fail, that's not the topic of this thread, so please stay focused. However, I do get to respond since you brought it up: The GCC is in its second year. I correctly predicted that the NOC wouldn't last, and I will go on the record believing that I doubt this league will last longer than the NOC did.
Old 02-19-17, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

As for whether or not it will fail, that's not the topic of this thread, so please stay focused. However, I do get to respond since you brought it up: The GCC is in its second year. I correctly predicted that the NOC wouldn't last, and I will go on the record believing that I doubt this league will last longer than the NOC did.
The league will work as long as most of the teams present don't have better options or invitations. They don't.

As for the league being down in basketball, sure there isn't a great team. But lots of good teams. Six teams are seeded in the top three in their respective districts. It isn't top heavy with a contender to win their region, but the league is super deep.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 02-19-17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

You need to move on. Being bitter for years about Cleveland Hts not being included is getting old. We all see your motives to take jabs at the league whenever possible It's no secret.

We all like the league. Our schools are involved so that's what matters. The league is doing great across all sports

Get a new agenda

Old 02-19-17, 01:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The league will work as low no as most of the teams present don't have better options or invitations. They don't.

As for the league being down in basketball, sure there isn't a great team. But lots of good teams. Six teams are seeded in the top three in their respective districts. It isn't top heavy with a contender to win their region, but the league is super deep.

Yeah as usual the guy has more venom than knowledge when talking about the GCC

There isn't a state title contender but the league is deep with many good solid teams and a lot of competitive games

That's more likely how it will be with a league of closed enrollment public schools. League has been a grind in basketball and that's what you want. The people knowledgeable or objective about the league see this

Old 02-20-17, 01:32 AM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I'm shocked that Shaker Heights got as high a seed as they did. But if they make it through the winner of John Hay/Bedford and play a competitive game against Maple Heights, I wouldn't be shocked to see them pull off a district championship upset against Garfield Heights. They only lost by one to them on December 21st, and that was without their two big men, Chris Guess (not eligible yet) and George Evans (injured)

Solon can shoot the ball really well. They should get past Cleveland Heights (who has struggled down the stretch) and have a decent shot to beat Mentor and go to the regionals, if they have a good shooting night. Mentor will obviously be the favorite.

As far as the Elyria Catholic District, I definitely agree that Lorain and Elyria are the two best teams in that district, without a doubt. Kinda surprising to see Lorain forgo a bye and play an extra game. Must be to get a little bit of extra playing time for the subs or something.

Medina should make it to the Copley District final, but I'm curious to see if Brunswick gets past Hoban. I know that Hoban is good this year, but I wonder who their top players are?

The 24th will have a couple of big Greater Cleveland Conference matchups in Brunswick/Shaker Heights and Elyria/Solon. Should be an interesting last few days before tournament days.
Old 02-20-17, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
When was the last time Solon beat Hudson or Stow? Seems like both schools are doing just fine building real neighborhood rivalries, saving time and money on transportation at all levels of sports (for fans as well), and still finding success in the postseason. If Solon were smart they'd look to follow the same blueprint.
The last time Solon beat Hudson? Last February. The Comets won, 7-3 in the hockey district at Kent State. And the girls hoops team will beat Hudson Thursday, unless the sun explodes this week and melts the solar system.

Stow? Our boys hoops team beat Stow in January, 72-69.
Old 02-20-17, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Deny it? There are six good teams in this league. Name another league/division in Northeast Ohio with similar depth.

And if you need to use a multi-division league to back up your argument (like the SL or NCL), then you prove my point.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-20-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mentor best cornerstone Christian 92 90
Old 02-24-17, 11:22 PM
All Yappi

Big final night in GCC play. Mentor and Elyria pick up big road wins in order to stay at the top of the league standings. Mentor continued their strong play with a 77-60 win over the Bees. The Cardinals have won 5 in a row with their final regular season game on Saturday at home against SPIRE.

Solon dominated the first half before Elyria chipped away throughout the game. Elyria forced overtime and won 76-73.

Shaker defeated Brunswick tonight at home. The Raiders upset Medina last weekend and are turning it up at the right time. I can see Shaker making an impact at the Solon district. Euclid finally got their first win of the season as they knocked off Strongsville.

Final standings:

Elyria 18-4 (11-3)
Mentor 16-5 (11-3)
Brunswick 15-7 (9-5)
Medina 15-7 (9-5)
Solon 15-7 (8-6)
Shaker 10-12 (5-9)
Strongsville 5-17 (2-12)
Euclid 1-20 (1-13)
Old 03-03-17, 06:49 PM
All Yappi

All eight GCC teams are playing in sectional finals this weekend. I predict they will go 6-2. If they can get six teams in the district semifinal, that is a very good showing.

Euclid @ Garfield Heights: By record, this is a gigantic mismatch. But Euclid took Garfield to OT back in December. The Panthers are a young team and have gotten a lot better throughout the season...even if the record didn't show. If Garfield underestimates them (they probably won't considering how the first game went), it could be a game.

Elyria vs Strongsville: Elyria handled Strongsville in the regular season. This should be no different.

Mentor vs Mayfield: Mentor can name the score in this one.

Solon vs South: The Rebels had a good season by their standards this year, but they will need a lot to go right to beat Solon. If South can handle the defensive pressure, they can hang in there. If not, this could be a blowout.

Medina vs Nordonia: This should be an easy win for Medina. Nordonia isn't very good.

Brunswick vs Wadsworth: Brunswick did win the regular season game between these two, but in the tournament you never know. A 3 vs 5 seed should be a close game. I think it will be a close low-scoring game, but Brunswick should win. First to 50 wins.

Shaker vs John Hay: Another 3 vs 5 seed matchup. Shaker was playing better at the end of the season. They should win this one. The GCC was much stronger than the Senate. Schedule strength should prepare the Raiders to advance to a big district semifinal with Maple.
Old 03-04-17, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

Five games today, two more (Mentor/Mayfield and Euclid/Garfield) tomorrow afternoon:

Solon 74
South 72

Medina 64
Nordonia 53

Brunswick 47
Wadsworth 34

Elyria 65
Strongsville 59

Shaker 64
John Hay 55

If there was a "spread" on HS tourney games, it is likely that Solon, Elyria, and Medina wouldn't have covered. Games were all closer than I would have expected. But in March, a win is a win. The GCC went 5-1 today...with the lone loss being Strongsville losing to Elyria.

Only 64 teams left in DI after this weekend. Roughly 10% will be from the GCC. Not bad.
Old 03-05-17, 12:08 AM
All Yappi

But remember the league is in a down year lol

Old 03-05-17, 12:31 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

Solon 74
South 72

How did that game end up being that close? If anyone was there, was it a close game all the way or did one team blow a big lead? South almost pulled off what would have been a huge upset.
Old 03-08-17, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

Six games in the district semifinal for GCC teams. One is already in the books as Elyria beat Olmsted Falls (61-60) last night. I think there will be three or four GCC teams in district finals. If they can get four, that will be a great showing. A very small chance of more than four, but it could happen.

Tonight's Games

Solon vs Cleveland Heights: Before the tournament started, I predicted an all-GCC final with Mentor and Solon. Cleveland Heights is the obstacle to a GCC team winning the Euclid district. They are very talented. This will be a great game tonight. I would love to see it. Two great junior PG's battling it out. Will Cleveland Heights size be the difference? Or will Solon's three-point shooting be the difference? We shall see.

Brunswick vs Hoban: Hoban has had a great season. One of the top ranked teams in the area. Brunswick is a clear underdog here, but don't count them out. They are great at dictating pace and keeping the game close. Brunswick hopes to keep this game in the 40's or 50's.

Thursday's Games

Mentor vs Glenville: These teams played at Mentor in February. The Cards won 62-39. After the way Glenville just anihilated Brush this past Saturday, I expect to see a much better opponent. The Tarblooders had a nice season, and that win over Brush was their signature game. Is that who they are? Or will Mentor control the game like they did in the regular season? I have to believe Mentor will win. They are playing really well right now, having won their last 7 or 8 games.

Medina vs Stow: The Bees have been on a slump the past few weeks. But this is a talented group that should be considered a slight favorite against Stow.

Shaker vs Maple: Shaker is an underdog here, but they could pull off the upset. They had a pretty good February and March so far.
Old 03-08-17, 08:27 PM
All Region

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Six games in the district semifinal for GCC teams. One is already in the books as Elyria beat Olmsted Falls (61-60) last night. I think there will be three or four GCC teams in district finals. If they can get four, that will be a great showing. A very small chance of more than four, but it could happen.

Tonight's Games

Solon vs Cleveland Heights: Before the tournament started, I predicted an all-GCC final with Mentor and Solon. Cleveland Heights is the obstacle to a GCC team winning the Euclid district. They are very talented. This will be a great game tonight. I would love to see it. Two great junior PG's battling it out. Will Cleveland Heights size be the difference? Or will Solon's three-point shooting be the difference? We shall see.

Brunswick vs Hoban: Hoban has had a great season. One of the top ranked teams in the area. Brunswick is a clear underdog here, but don't count them out. They are great at dictating pace and keeping the game close. Brunswick hopes to keep this game in the 40's or 50's.

Thursday's Games

Mentor vs Glenville: These teams played at Mentor in February. The Cards won 62-39. After the way Glenville just anihilated Brush this past Saturday, I expect to see a much better opponent. The Tarblooders had a nice season, and that win over Brush was their signature game. Is that who they are? Or will Mentor control the game like they did in the regular season? I have to believe Mentor will win. They are playing really well right now, having won their last 7 or 8 games.

Medina vs Stow: The Bees have been on a slump the past few weeks. But this is a talented group that should be considered a slight favorite against Stow.

Shaker vs Maple: Shaker is an underdog here, but they could pull off the upset. They had a pretty good February and March so far.
Medina by 10-plus. Stow is slumping over their last 4-5 games too (shooting around 28% from the field and 50% from the line) and couple that with their issues with ball handling (no true point guard) and decision making which has been their achilles all year, I don't think they stand much of a chance. Have size and athletic ability, but don't use either like they are capable.
Old 03-08-17, 08:29 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Hoban 57
Brunswick 44
Old 03-08-17, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Solon ,71 Cleveland heights 70
Old 03-08-17, 09:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Solon ,71 Cleveland heights 70
Wow. Another close one for Solon?
Old 03-09-17, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
Wow. Another close one for Solon?
Solon's last six or seven games have all been nailbiters, with the exception of the roadie at Strongsville. The Comets keep playing to the level of their competion. They even got within four points of St. Ignatius with three minutes left, but Ignatius pulled away late because of free throws.
Old 03-09-17, 10:46 PM
All Yappi

Congrats to the 5 GCC teams that made the district final!

Mentor 68
Glenville 51

Shaker 64
Maple 62

Medina 58
Stow 56