Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-05-16, 06:08 PM
Varsity

FOOSBALL MAMA is on a distinguished road
Eastern Ohio Athletic Conference Football 2017

Being that all of the future EOAC football teams have finished up there season or may be finished this evening (JFK is a tough match-up), I thought it would be interesting to get started on next season. What do the league schools have coming back in football? Who may be the favorites? Lets start the fun!

Alphabetically (I think this is everybody):

Columbiana
East Palestine
Lisbon
Leetonia
Southern
Toronto
United
Wellsville

Don't know much about the Red Knights. Nice season this year, but roster seems full of seniors. Was able to see most of the other teams on this list, and feel I have a good read on what is coming back for most teams.

Chime in!

Last edited by FOOSBALL MAMA; 11-05-16 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-16, 06:20 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
I think it'll be a down year for the conference as a whole. Columbiana (Davidson) and Lisbon (Sweeney and Thompson) lose a ton of talent. EP with Sherry should be good. Wellsville loses Miller so they'll probably be a step back as well. United returns Wood so I think they could have a turnaround season and be towards the top of the conference.

If I had to guess, EP would be the favorite with Lisbon, Columbiana, and United sorting out the top of the conference
Old 11-05-16, 06:41 PM
Varsity

EP loses quite a bit, but has some talent returning. They won't be as big next year, but a good backfield to rely on.

Will agree that it should be a better year for United, if they can stay healthy. United loses four senior starters.

Columbiana, not only loses Davidson, but quite a few good lineman, and their running back.

Southern could be better, but not a threat to win the league.

Leetonia may not have enough kids to field a team? Hope they do, but will not be very strong no matter.

Wellsville loses quite a bit, and will likely be down.

Lisbon loses quite a bit, but has quite a bit coming back also. There was some talent on the sidelines that can step up, and alot of different kids touched the ball and made plays this year. If the new guys can play adequately, Lisbon will be a very good team once again.

No idea on Toronto. The new kids on the block. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on them.
Old 11-05-16, 07:07 PM
All World

I'll admit I don't know much on these teams outside the top few players on each team so I'm just going off that. EP having a talent as good as sherry at the most important position is what I think puts them as favorites, but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't win the league. I think this league will end up being decently balanced, compared to the new MVAC, which will be the 3 top teams (all 3 are going to be loaded next year) and 5 bad teams.
Old 11-06-16, 07:04 AM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOSBALL MAMA View Post
Being that all of the future EOAC football teams have finished up there season or may be finished this evening (JFK is a tough match-up), I thought it would be interesting to get started on next season. What do the league schools have coming back in football? Who may be the favorites? Lets start the fun!

Alphabetically (I think this is everybody):

Columbiana
East Palestine
Lisbon
Leetonia
Southern
Toronto
United
Wellsville

Don't know much about the Red Knights. Nice season this year, but roster seems full of seniors. Was able to see most of the other teams on this list, and feel I have a good read on what is coming back for most teams.

Chime in!
It's basically the old core of Tri County teams with a few newbies added. Similar to the MVAC which has an old ICL core. I said this would happen two years ago, but no one believed me.

Bulldogs lose about 12 Seniors, but Sherry, Kemp and Posey will return. Some underclassmen will get their chance to step up next year.

What will be interesting is the upcoming enrollment count. Who will drop, stay the same or move up. I'm seeing two D5 right now, but as always depends on cutoffs.
Old 11-08-16, 09:37 PM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Eastern Ohio Athletic Conference Football 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
It's basically the old core of Tri County teams with a few newbies added. Similar to the MVAC which has an old ICL core. I said this would happen two years ago, but no one believed me.

Bulldogs lose about 12 Seniors, but Sherry, Kemp and Posey will return. Some underclassmen will get their chance to step up next year.

What will be interesting is the upcoming enrollment count. Who will drop, stay the same or move up. I'm seeing two D5 right now, but as always depends on cutoffs.

I wonder how competitive balance will affect schools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-16, 05:52 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post
I wonder how competitive balance will affect schools?

Boomer - How is the competitive balance system designed, and how will it work? Each student athlete counts as two at a parochial? Total boys x 2? Just curious, as I have not a clue.
Old 11-09-16, 07:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Boomer - How is the competitive balance system designed, and how will it work? Each student athlete counts as two at a parochial? Total boys x 2? Just curious, as I have not a clue.
From what I understand, the parochials choose a feeder school and student athletes NOT from that feeder are counted as more than 1. i believe this effects publics as well for OE students that did not attend the elementary school/schools of that district, but not 100% sure on that.
Old 11-09-16, 08:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
From what I understand, the parochials choose a feeder school and student athletes NOT from that feeder are counted as more than 1. i believe this effects publics as well for OE students that did not attend the elementary school/schools of that district, but not 100% sure on that.

That is what I understand as well. Each sport is different...different multiplier for each one. Football is an extra 1 for each player in the team that is OE. Basketball is 5 or something like that.

Not sure what the reporting date is for each sport, but I think they get a chance to readjust just before the season starts. Don't quote me on that...I could be wrong.

Old 11-09-16, 08:59 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

It seems like this could be a mess...lol! Different multiplier for each sport. I think there will be a lot of confused people.

Old 11-10-16, 09:51 AM
All District

boatman42 is on a distinguished road
Anyone have the 2017 schedules for these teams??

Last edited by boatman42; 11-10-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-10-16, 10:31 AM
All World

Raider#23
Whoa!!! 2107?

Obviously you meant 2017.....here is Lisbon's
Malvern
Mineral Ridge
Valley Christian
Wellsville
Southern
Leetonia
Toronto
Columbiana
East Palestine
United
Old 11-10-16, 11:18 AM
All District

boatman42 is on a distinguished road
LOL Fixed it!!!! Kind of surprised by the OOC teams!!
Old 11-10-16, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman42 View Post
LOL Fixed it!!!! Kind of surprised by the OOC teams!!
Malvern replaces TCC and is a little closer.

We've been playing Mineral Ridge week #2 for a while now.

Not sure about Valley Christian...I'm thinking they had trouble with a week #3 opponent.

I like how the schedule look...good balance of teams for Lisbon.
Old 11-10-16, 02:04 PM
All Region

bop is on a distinguished road
Nice schedule for Lisbon. We will be a very small D6 or big D7 school next year. I really like the addition of Malvern. It is right down Rt. 30 and they have a nice tradition. M. Ridge has a solid history as well. V. Christian I believe plays their home games on Saturdays nights at Poland. Not a fan of Saturday HS football.
Old 11-10-16, 02:37 PM
Varsity

So are your Devils gonna be D6 or D7 next year?
Old 11-10-16, 02:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
Nice schedule for Lisbon. We will be a very small D6 or big D7 school next year. I really like the addition of Malvern. It is right down Rt. 30 and they have a nice tradition. M. Ridge has a solid history as well. V. Christian I believe plays their home games on Saturdays nights at Poland. Not a fan of Saturday HS football.
That's a very weak schedule for a team that's been 9-1 the past 2 years. Not trying to talk smack, but Lisbon even if a bit down next year wins all 3 by 20+. Ridge, malvern and VC went a combined 7-22 last year and were not very good teams at all.
Old 11-10-16, 03:03 PM
Varsity

Quote:
That's a very weak schedule for a team that's been 9-1 the past 2 years. Not trying to talk smack, but Lisbon even if a bit down next year wins all 3 by 20+. Ridge, malvern and VC went a combined 7-22 last year and were not very good teams at all.
Just being "Devil's" advocate, the final three games more than make up for the first three. Should be United's best team in a while next year (if they can stay healthy), EP will be good with Sherry and some quality skills, and Columbiana is Columbiana.
Old 11-10-16, 05:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
We do lose a solid group of seniors, so the success these past two years is going to be hard to replicate. I see your point, but these schools match up with our school size pretty well. No one complained about Mineral Ridge when they had Redding and Skiba...their really good teams weren't that long ago. Malvern has typically been pretty good. Maybe down the last two years, but it doesn't take much for them to be on the uptick. VC is unknown to me. They could improve pretty quickly as well...didn't they have a playoff team not that long ago.

With us probably dropping to D7, I see our schedule fitting our current situation. The schedule wouldn't prepare us very well for Region 21, but it probably is inline with Region 25. Just my opinion...
Old 11-10-16, 05:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Just being "Devil's" advocate, the final three games more than make up for the first three. Should be United's best team in a while next year (if they can stay healthy), EP will be good with Sherry and some quality skills, and Columbiana is Columbiana.
For sure...United will be improved, EP will be very solid and Columbiana will be reloading with some pretty good underclassmen. Don't count out the athletes in Wellsville and Southern returning good players.
Old 11-10-16, 06:02 PM
All World

Quote:
We do lose a solid group of seniors, so the success these past two years is going to be hard to replicate. I see your point, but these schools match up with our school size pretty well. No one complained about Mineral Ridge when they had Redding and Skiba...their really good teams weren't that long ago. Malvern has typically been pretty good. Maybe down the last two years, but it doesn't take much for them to be on the uptick. VC is unknown to me. They could improve pretty quickly as well...didn't they have a playoff team not that long ago.

With us probably dropping to D7, I see our schedule fitting our current situation. The schedule wouldn't prepare us very well for Region 21, but it probably is inline with Region 25. Just my opinion...
Well I'll be the first to tell you that schedule strength =/ how good a team is. You can play cupcakes all year and still go and win state of you're good enough. But it also isn't fun and boring to play teams like this. Trust me I know, when we had our real good teams in McDonald in the late 2000s we had OOC games against the likes of Youngstown Christian, Windham, Southington, oberlin and they were just massacres. It also won't help playoff point wise since none of them really have won much recently (granted in D7 that won't matter much, win 6 and you're in).

As for the teams, I can't speak much to malvern but they used to be good but really have been awful I think for about 4 or 5 years now. Same with VC. Ridge will be really bad as long as Wittaker is the coach, they were decent up to 2014 and fell off to being trash the last 3 years and it isn't changing anytime soon.
Old 11-11-16, 07:17 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Well I'll be the first to tell you that schedule strength =/ how good a team is. You can play cupcakes all year and still go and win state of you're good enough. But it also isn't fun and boring to play teams like this. Trust me I know, when we had our real good teams in McDonald in the late 2000s we had OOC games against the likes of Youngstown Christian, Windham, Southington, oberlin and they were just massacres. It also won't help playoff point wise since none of them really have won much recently (granted in D7 that won't matter much, win 6 and you're in).

As for the teams, I can't speak much to malvern but they used to be good but really have been awful I think for about 4 or 5 years now. Same with VC. Ridge will be really bad as long as Wittaker is the coach, they were decent up to 2014 and fell off to being trash the last 3 years and it isn't changing anytime soon.
I understand what you're saying, but this is what we have. It's weaker than last year's schedule...maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, who knows. We are no where close to the McD teams of the late 2000's. With what we return from last year's team, we should be very competitive in our league.

Malvern made the playoffs back in 2013 (8-2 in the regular season) & went two rounds in 2012. Whittaker resigned at MR...though, I don't see much improvement from them in the next 2-3 years regardless of who's coaching.
Old 11-11-16, 03:00 PM
Varsity

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but this is what we have. It's weaker than last year's schedule...maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, who knows. We are no where close to the McD teams of the late 2000's. With what we return from last year's team, we should be very competitive in our league.

Malvern made the playoffs back in 2013 (8-2 in the regular season) & went two rounds in 2012. Whittaker resigned at MR...though, I don't see much improvement from them in the next 2-3 years regardless of who's coaching.
Jackson Milton probably had one of the easiest schedules in 2016, that I have ever seen. Still made the playoffs easily. So, I don't think the schedule is as important as wins.

I would imagine Coach Tsilimos doesn't mind a lighter schedule to start the season, as he will be breaking in some new players early in the year. Confidence is important, and wins bring confidence.

That being said, Jackson Milton got crushed in the first round this year, after having played that ultra light schedule.
Old 11-14-16, 03:20 PM
All American

Exclamation

Quote:
Jackson Milton probably had one of the easiest schedules in 2016, that I have ever seen. Still made the playoffs easily. So, I don't think the schedule is as important as wins.

I would imagine Coach Tsilimos doesn't mind a lighter schedule to start the season, as he will be breaking in some new players early in the year. Confidence is important, and wins bring confidence.

That being said, Jackson Milton got crushed in the first round this year, after having played that ultra light schedule.
First off, maybe the first game could be a patsy, but you need to have a couple respectable teams your next two games.
EP has redundantly started with a quality opponent the first 3 games almost every year. Not saying anyone else in this new league hasn't, but don't seem to recall anyone in this new league playing D3/D4 schools other than EP in the OOL games.
Old 11-14-16, 07:38 PM
Varsity

Quote:
First off, maybe the first game could be a patsy, but you need to have a couple respectable teams your next two games.
EP has redundantly started with a quality opponent the first 3 games almost every year. Not saying anyone else in this new league hasn't, but don't seem to recall anyone in this new league playing D3/D4 schools other than EP in the OOL games.
2016 EP (Division 5) first three games:

Division 4 - Salem
Division 7 - Wellsville
Division 6 - Columbiana
Old 11-14-16, 09:56 PM
All Region

Thomas Paine is an unknown quantity at this point
I see nothing wrong with lisbons scnedule. Obviously they will not be at all prepared for post season play, but that isn't the goal. The goal for all of these teams is to have fun games each week and have every team competitive with one another. Imvho this has been accomplished with the new league setup. Any team can win or lose each game, and that is great. Due to the declining population at all of these schools, coupled with all of their good players being stolen by crestview, the bar has been appropriately set a bit lower. Post season success is not what these programs are looking for. if they happen to get in, wonderful, but to be frank, 10 weeks of high school football is plenty anyways. after all of the hard work including running and weights and practice, the season should be ended after 10 weeks for everyone. I believe they should do away with the post season all together so that more schools could end their season on a positive note. I personally think that if the season ended after 10 weeks many more children would be happy about their season and wouldn't be so heart broken. It's really not fair that only the good teams have fun after week 10 anyways. I for one would be in favor of shortening the length of the game or perhaps utilizing the running clock from the start so that all of the games are much closer scoring wise and all of the teams have a chance to win if they use good strategy and stall like high school basketball teams do without a shot clock.

I think we could teach a lot of valuable life lessons if we called it quits after 10 weeks and had a large banquet amongst all of the teams, maybe at the columbiana county fairgrounds if that makes everyone happy. everyone could meet and greet and reminisce. I would assume a local company would donate shirts if they knew it was for such a good cause.

Please refrain from rooting for any specific school moving forward. All of the children in our league work very hard. GO LEAGUE!
Old 11-15-16, 05:14 AM
All American

Quote:
2016 EP (Division 5) first three games:

Division 4 - Salem
Division 7 - Wellsville
Division 6 - Columbiana
You just made my point, tell me none were competitive.
Old 11-15-16, 05:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
I see nothing wrong with lisbons scnedule. Obviously they will not be at all prepared for post season play, but that isn't the goal. The goal for all of these teams is to have fun games each week and have every team competitive with one another. Imvho this has been accomplished with the new league setup. Any team can win or lose each game, and that is great. Due to the declining population at all of these schools, coupled with all of their good players being stolen by crestview, the bar has been appropriately set a bit lower. Post season success is not what these programs are looking for. if they happen to get in, wonderful, but to be frank, 10 weeks of high school football is plenty anyways. after all of the hard work including running and weights and practice, the season should be ended after 10 weeks for everyone. I believe they should do away with the post season all together so that more schools could end their season on a positive note. I personally think that if the season ended after 10 weeks many more children would be happy about their season and wouldn't be so heart broken. It's really not fair that only the good teams have fun after week 10 anyways. I for one would be in favor of shortening the length of the game or perhaps utilizing the running clock from the start so that all of the games are much closer scoring wise and all of the teams have a chance to win if they use good strategy and stall like high school basketball teams do without a shot clock.

I think we could teach a lot of valuable life lessons if we called it quits after 10 weeks and had a large banquet amongst all of the teams, maybe at the columbiana county fairgrounds if that makes everyone happy. everyone could meet and greet and reminisce. I would assume a local company would donate shirts if they knew it was for such a good cause.

Please refrain from rooting for any specific school moving forward. All of the children in our league work very hard. GO LEAGUE!
Participation trophies.
Old 11-15-16, 07:30 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post

Wow...you really have it bad. Where did anyone say that Crestview is stealing Lisbon kids?? I know I didn't...I never blamed open enrollment or any of that. I've stated FACTS about the Lisbon school population and stated the OPINION that we don't need to be playing D5 schools if we are going to be D7 very soon. We didn't compete for 10+ years of the ITCL...we were smallest or second to smallest school in the top tier every year. It didn't work for us...it didn't make sense for our kids to struggle with that type of schedule.

Crestview has the 2nd to 3rd biggest for most of that run IIRC. Currently 161 boys to Lisbon's 102 boys. So, have Crestview jump in a league where they are playing teams with 250+ boys in the 3 grades and see how that works for them. Most of the schools in the new league see this setup as a balanced league with teams that should be able to compete with each other, even when they have a down year.

Not everyone in the area is looking to the playoffs. And not everyone can play a meat grinder schedule and come out healthy enough for the playoffs. Only 25% of the teams in the state make the playoffs anyway...so, most of us only play 10 games.

Based on your theory, this is the best situation for Crestview. They can finally go out and find teams that will make them better. They can finally stop beating up on smaller/weaker schools that don't get them ready for a deep playoff run. Load up the schedule and get better for weeks 11 thru 15. For 7 of the 9 years that Crestview made the playoffs, they were beating a Lisbon team that didn't win anymore than 2-3 games a year...how did that help Crestview?

I honestly don't know why you give a crap about this new league? Outside of Bulldog (who's never happy), everyone else in the league seems pretty happy with the new setup.
Old 11-15-16, 07:30 AM
All Region

bop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Participation trophies.
We have handed them out to Crestview the past three years. Paine is an A## hat and has shown his true colors after trying to initially be friendly. He also fights with people on other threads I have perused as well, bitter man. Anyhow, the ITCL is gone, I am taking a break for awhile since not much should be happening during the winter months. I suggest that all of you EOAC posters ignore Paine and Joker, don't even respond to them. They do not like us and quite frankly have nothing to do with this league. Let them go talk to.....,oh there is no one for them to talk to. Oh well.

As for Malvern being on the schedule and people implying they are weak, they have a very strong football tradition. They may have been down for a couple of years, but they play football out there. It is a great pickup for Lisbon and one that I hope stays on the schedule for years to come. If and when any of the larger schools in the new league decides to leave, they would be a great addition if relationships can be built.

Same can be said for Mineral Ridge. They are a school our size and have a history of good football as well.

I don't like Youngstown Christian. They have not been good and I just do not see them staying on the schedule very long. It is not a game people want to see and they will bring no gate. If we were to step up, this would be the game I would change moving forward just before league play begins. East Canton, Beaver Local, McDonald, W. Reserve, N. Springfield all come to mind.