Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-17, 07:08 AM
All World

Bballer05
got the 11 seed, as expected, although when you're an at-large bid and you're the LAST one called, it did get somewhat nerve-racking.

not a bad matchup vs Maryland at all.

6:50 Thursday in Orlando.

if the Muskies can get that first W, i think they have a good shot at either FSU or FGCU.

i'm sure the committee never once thought about the possible Miller/Mack matchup in the Sweet 16.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-17, 07:31 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
If it's a close game, I like Maryland. Melo Trimble is a guy who can close out a close game.
Old 03-13-17, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
Nice try getting your jabs in, though.
No jabs there, I'm not a Xavier fan but I respect what they've accomplished in the tournament. Point I was trying to make is that they made some runs out of that #10 spot (I was corrected that two of those runs came as a #7, which is the same game as the #10). The thing about playing Lehigh instead of Duke was just a fact, not a jab.
Old 03-13-17, 10:28 AM
All World

Bballer05
i can't name all 8 teams, but X is one of them to be in the NCAA tourney 11 out of last 12 years. that's a pretty nice run.

in regards to the BE tourney, for 4 straight years since joining the league, X made it to AT LEAST the semis of the tourney. on the flip side, Butler has yet to win a BE tourney game.
Old 03-17-17, 07:01 AM
All World

Bballer05
down 46-40, then end the game on a 36-19 run. that's solid.

O'Mara was easily player of the game. Bluiett obviously got going in the 2nd half.

gonna need a lot more out of Gaston and Jones if we want to beat FSU. Need Bernard to stay out of foul trouble as well. that hampered him a bit but he did have a solid line despite the fouls.

thought Q did a great job at the point. still need to fix the turnover problem.

let's get this, boys.
Old 03-17-17, 07:03 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Honestly I got nervous for Xavier's sake after JP missed three free throws in a row. Was thinking collapse, but then a turnover on back to back posessions erased that thought.

I liked them switching defenses constantly
Old 03-17-17, 12:37 PM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
down 46-40, then end the game on a 36-19 run. that's solid.

O'Mara was easily player of the game. Bluiett obviously got going in the 2nd half.

gonna need a lot more out of Gaston and Jones if we want to beat FSU. Need Bernard to stay out of foul trouble as well. that hampered him a bit but he did have a solid line despite the fouls.

thought Q did a great job at the point. still need to fix the turnover problem.

let's get this, boys.
The team as a whole needs to fix the turnover problem, but Q isn't really part of the problem. He had 9 assists to 5 turnovers(1 of which should have been a foul) 9 assists to 4 turnovers is very good and way more than we should realistically expect from a freshman PG thrown into the fire halfway through the year
Old 10-24-17, 07:18 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
You Xavier folk haven't made a thread for the new year yet so I'm putting this here:

Old 10-27-17, 08:51 AM
All World

Bballer05
someone can change the name, please.

here's my projected starting 5 for the season:

Q
JP
Tre
Gates
T. Jones

should be deep enough to play 9, maybe 10. we shall see which frosh step up and become ready to contribute some kind of role.

should be a great season if we stay healthy.
Old 10-27-17, 10:22 AM
All World

Bballer05
side note - recruiting wise we seem to be losing out on A LOT of 4 and 5 star guys where X has been one of their final choices.

i realize that in X's case, classes may fluctuate talent-wise but X seems to be "0 for" on whoever they've gone after for next year.

just wondering.
Old 10-30-17, 08:45 AM
All World

Bballer05
scary news yesterday (initially) that Trevon Bluiett hurt his shoulder in practice. non-contact. thought it could've been torn rotator cuff but turned out to not be as serious.

he missed the secret scrimmage vs. OSU yesterday (which X lost 87-80. i believe JP was also held out of the scrimmage) and he most likely will miss the exhibition game but shouldn't miss any regular season games.

whew.
Old 11-01-17, 08:25 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
he missed the secret scrimmage vs. OSU yesterday (which X lost 87-80. i believe JP was also held out of the scrimmage) and he most likely will miss the exhibition game but shouldn't miss any regular season games.

whew.
JP played but was limited.

Expect Naji Marshall to start if Tre misses any action. Apparently Kerem Kanter is great offensively but very bad on defense.
Old 11-07-17, 06:47 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Doesn't really mean anything, but it's kinda nice to see X actually getting some nat'l recognition. 3 from ESPN predicting Final 4 for X, with one calling for X to win the title.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ar-player-year

Personally, I'll be interested to see how this team progresses as the year keeps unfolding. That has been Chris Mack's MO all through his time as head coach.
Old 11-08-17, 07:33 AM
All American

Tom Crean lol
Old 11-08-17, 10:32 AM
All World

Bballer05
X to win it all? Really, Crean? not coaching must be driving him to drink.

i mean, that would be unreal, but there's no way i'm predicting that now.

if this team stays healthy and a couple of the frosh progress to not play like frosh by the end of the season, then i'd say they have a decent shot of at least making the sweet 16. if you get to the second weekend, anything can happen, as last year's team proved.

the NCAA tourney is such a crap shoot - depends on matchups, venues, injuries, other better teams losing, etc that it's so impossible to predict.

i'm excited for this Xavier basketball season, though.

should be a fun one.
Old 11-08-17, 10:59 AM
All American

I admire the bold prediction.
Old 11-08-17, 11:01 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Some on the 247 board think Crean is trolling X because he hates Mack and the staff. I'm not sure of exact reasons why he hates them, but posters seem to think he did it to put any added pressure on the team that he could.
Old 11-08-17, 11:44 AM
All American

He probably was upset Mack got some former IU players. If that's the case he is an idiot
Old 11-09-17, 09:01 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Long history with Xavier, Chris Mack and Crean. Jordan Crawfords transfer, Tu Holloway, Trevon Bluiett, Dee Davis and on were all kids Xavier got over Indiana or in Crawfords case, he transferred into Xavier after playing at IU as a freshmen.

Idk if Crean is messing with Mack or not, however I gaurauntee wether he is serious or not the reasoning revolves around Paul Scruggs. Scruggs played with Kris Wilkes, another name we all remember. Those two, both top 40 recruits, both top recruits in Indianapolis, could have possibly saved Creans job. Xavier, UCLA and Indiana were the final three schools for both. Mack landed Scruggs and shortly after Wilkes, the slightly more coveted PF went to UCLA. That to many fans at IU was the last straw, in addition to their struggles on the court last season.

So either Crean really likes Scruggs as a player, thinking he is as good as any freshman in the country or he is pissed off at Mack. I think he really likes Scruggs and is just going out on a limb with that pick. He knows Xavier's talent pretty well since he and Mack recruited against each other all the time.
Old 11-09-17, 09:18 AM
All American

Let be honest, we all know there are many variables that need to fall into place for a deep run in the tournament, however the biggest one is simply how talented and good of a team you have. This team was a trendy top 10 preseason pick after last year, now they are a top 20 team, yet the talent on this years Xavier team will more than likely go down as the best ever. They have arguably their best recruit in history with Scruggs at PG, return a Sophmore PG in Q who had a very good run to end last season. They return a preseason All-American, National Player of the Year candidate in Bluiett, along with another projected NBA draft pick and great player, JP. Inside, they return Tyrique Jones, who after the way he finished last season, should be set for a breakout sophomore season. Kaiser Gates and Sean O'Mara are back. They added an instant impact Senior transfer in Kanter, who can score from anywhere on the court.

They have no holes, plenty of depth, and the most experienced and talented team in school history. If injuries and other unforeseen issues can finally stay away this year, there is no reason to think that Xavier is not primed for its best chance to have its best season yet.

This is the season we all have waited for. In the past when we thought we had everything lined up for a season like this, there would be a huge early departure leaving a hole in the roster. Or in the case of the Brawl season, we completely fell apart after an unfortunate event. If they can just keep it all together, they may make Tom Crean look like a genius.
Old 11-09-17, 10:22 AM
All American

Are you saying JP is a potential NBA draft pick or was that in reference to someone else?

Should be interesting to see if Kaiser steps it up and if he will play more aggressive down low.
Old 11-09-17, 11:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Are you saying JP is a potential NBA draft pick or was that in reference to someone else?

Should be interesting to see if Kaiser steps it up and if he will play more aggressive down low.
JP, in nearly everyone's mock draft board right now.
Old 11-09-17, 11:56 AM
All American

Who is nearly everyone? Most sites I found don't go past the lottery yet, even fewer go into the 2nd round. Of the ones I did find that went into the 2nd, he only appeared in one, http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft
Old 11-09-17, 09:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Who is nearly everyone? Most sites I found don't go past the lottery yet, even fewer go into the 2nd round. Of the ones I did find that went into the 2nd, he only appeared in one, http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft
I don't have time to look tonight, however I have seen late first round to 2nd round pick on JP. Also just FYI the site you linked is the go to mock draft site. It is updated every day.
Old 11-09-17, 09:26 PM
All American

The funny thing is you argue about JP, yet if Scruggs is as good as people think Xavier will have atleast 2 if not three draft picks next year
Old 11-09-17, 09:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I don't have time to look tonight, however I have seen late first round to 2nd round pick on JP. Also just FYI the site you linked is the go to mock draft site. It is updated every day.

However the all-american is not on many at all. It does not matter. Xavier is set to have two of the best players in college basketball and one of the best recruits. Those three plus Q make the most talented backcourt in school history.
Old 11-10-17, 07:42 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post

However the all-american is not on many at all. It does not matter. Xavier is set to have two of the best players in college basketball and one of the best recruits. Those three plus Q make the most talented backcourt in school history.
i don't have time to debate that one today but it would be fun.

it's GAMEDAY, BABY!

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 11-10-17, 07:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Late first round? Not a chance 2nd round is possible but he isn't sniffing the 1st round
Old 11-10-17, 08:13 AM
All American

Yeah. He'll be a late 2nd round pick, unless he just strokes from 3 all year. Then I could see a late 1st rounder, but that's very unlikely. He's just too old, for NBA draft standards. And he isn't on most people's mock draft boards right now. Not sure why CHSFF said that.
Old 11-10-17, 08:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Xavier is set to have two of the best players in college basketball and one of the best recruits.
Are you talking about Macura again? Macura is very good, no doubt. But one of the best players in college basketball? He might not even be a top 10 player in his own conference.