Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-14, 09:40 AM
Jtown5 Jtown5 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-25-12
Posts: 126
Jtown5 is on a distinguished road
AAC Schedules next year

Does anyone have an idea on what the schedules will look like for next year with the new teams and the realignments?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-07-14, 10:00 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 2,823
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown5 View Post
Does anyone have an idea on what the schedules will look like for next year with the new teams and the realignments?
I don't know if Tiers 3 and 4 have crossovers but this is how it's set up so far...I suspect Poland will need to jump up to Tier 2 only to balance out the 4 Tier 1 teams. If that doesn't work out things could get ugly.

Tier 1

Fitch-->plays East
Harding-->plays Howland
Boardman-->plays Canfield
Lakeside-->plays Howland

Tier 2

Canfield-->plays Boardman
Howland-->plays Harding+Lakeside
East-->plays Fitch
Niles-->plays all Tier 2 and 3 Teams
Poland-->plays all Tier 2 and 3 Teams

Tier 3

Edgewood
Hubbard
Jefferson
Lakeview
Niles
Poland
Struthers

Tier 4

Brookfield
Campbell
Champion
Girard
LaBrae
Liberty
Newton Falls
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-14, 10:04 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,086
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Why not just add Mooney and Ursuline to Tier 1 and bump up Howland and East to Tier 1 and have a very solid eight school league?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-14, 10:10 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,946
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Why not just add Mooney and Ursuline to Tier 1 and bump up Howland and East to Tier 1 and have a very solid eight school league?
That ain't happening. For about a million reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-14, 10:13 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,086
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
That ain't happening. For about a million reasons.
Are any of them good reasons?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-14, 10:14 AM
SteelValley SteelValley is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-02
Location: Boardman, OH
Posts: 2,583
SteelValley
I don't think Boardman, Fitch, and Harding would be opposed to the idea of Ursuline + Mooney in the upper tier, but the rest of the schools would not go for that.

Boardman will play all 4 former SVC schools starting next season, so that's good enough for me. Also, Canfield comes on the schedule, which could turn into a nice rivalry. Sounds like Youngstown East may become a regular on the schedule too, as well as Big Red. I'm just 100% clear on how AAC top tier champ is determined (do cross-overs count? and if some teams play 2 cross-overs, but others just 1, how does that work?).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-14, 10:16 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 2,823
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Are any of them good reasons?
You could argue that Boardman, Fitch, and Harding would have an easier time scheduling Ursuline and/or Mooney with them not in the league. Not saying I support that, but you'd lose Howland and Canfield (and probably Lakeside+possibly East) in a heartbeat. And Steel, I would doubt the crossover games count. It's just that adding Lakeside late created an imbalance between the 3 Tier 1 teams already present and the 3 Tier 2 teams who are playing Tier 1 crossovers. It's why I suggested that Poland may have to take the leap forward into Tier 2 only...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-14, 10:17 AM
Jtown5 Jtown5 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-25-12
Posts: 126
Jtown5 is on a distinguished road
Poland and Hubbard aren't going to be happy playing Edgewood every year, at least Jefferson will give them a few wins each year for points. Edgewood will not last in this tier for football, they have beaten PV and Ledgemont this year and been blown out by everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-14, 10:20 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,946
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Are any of them good reasons?
In my opinion? No. It's dumb. But I'm not from around here and there are grudges that go back longer than a lot of people here have been alive.

The biggest of all being that schools that won't play Mooney in football (POLAND, HOWLAND) and 1 school (CANFIELD) that has publicly stated they will never play them in ANY SPORT ever again certainly don't want to be in a conference with them.

Anyways.... So if I read this right, teams in the top tier only get 4 conference games out of this?

But then some other teams will get 9 games, like Poland and Niles?

I feel like I'm missing something here.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-14, 10:22 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 2,823
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
In my opinion? No. It's dumb. But I'm not from around here and there are grudges that go back longer than a lot of people here have been alive.

The biggest of all being that schools that won't play Mooney in football (POLAND, HOWLAND) and 1 school (CANFIELD) that has publicly stated they will never play them in ANY SPORT ever again certainly don't want to be in a conference with them.

Anyways.... So if I read this right, teams in the top tier only get 4 conference games out of this?

But then some other teams will get 9 games, like Poland and Niles?

I feel like I'm missing something here.
No, strangely enough, you're not. I think Poland and Niles wanted that solution so they didn't have to play Tier 1 crossover games. It's why I'm pretty skeptical on this particular arrangement working out long term. Here's the kicker, Poland and Niles are actually eligble for 2 conference titles out of this.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-14, 10:30 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,946
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
No, strangely enough, you're not. I think Poland and Niles wanted that solution so they didn't have to play Tier 1 crossover games. It's why I'm pretty skeptical on this particular arrangement working out long term. Here's the kicker, Poland and Niles are actually eligble for 2 conference titles out of this.
I just read that on a vindy article about the arrangement. That's absurd, but I guess that's the politics of putting together a football conference in this area.

I could definitely see the big schools splitting off and adding some combo of:

Ursuline
Mooney
Steubenville
Massillon

It seems these days conferences change all the time. It's kind of silly. Especially in football.

Though I know most people would lose their minds, I'd be all for districting and assigned schedules like they have in Texas and other places.

Just look at some of the games in this area this week. Howland plays Akron Firestone? Niles hosts Hamilton Ross? Harding going to Euclid?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-14, 10:55 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 2,823
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I just read that on a vindy article about the arrangement. That's absurd, but I guess that's the politics of putting together a football conference in this area.

I could definitely see the big schools splitting off and adding some combo of:

Ursuline
Mooney
Steubenville
Massillon

It seems these days conferences change all the time. It's kind of silly. Especially in football.

Though I know most people would lose their minds, I'd be all for districting and assigned schedules like they have in Texas and other places.

Just look at some of the games in this area this week. Howland plays Akron Firestone? Niles hosts Hamilton Ross? Harding going to Euclid?

I just think a lot of it these days has to do with the nature of the economy. A decade ago leagues were primarily being formed on competitive balance and to a lesser degree enrollment size. You had Boardman and Austintown going to the FED, the NOC becoming a monstrosity, etc. Now with the economic downturn and more expensive gas you have more leagues becoming localized. I feel like the new GCC is the lone exception to that.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if the big schools told the other ones to pound salt, but that would jeopardize the rest of the league. I think an informal sort of league/scheduling arrangement between Boardman, Fitch, Harding, Massillon, Steubenville, and Ursuline could be created. Call it the Steel Valley Cup or something and arrange the open dates. Would be great for the valley to have Harding-Massillon, Mooney-Boardman, and Ursuline-Fitch all on the same night. And with all these schools being either independent or in small leagues, the games could be spaced out so nobody is getting destroyed at either the beginning or end of the season.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-14, 11:23 AM
Worm02 Worm02 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Warren, OH
Posts: 6,793
Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Why not just add Mooney and Ursuline to Tier 1 and bump up Howland and East to Tier 1 and have a very solid eight school league?
The current AAC teams don't want to schedule the privates. Kind of petty considering that at least two of them bring in kids from outside their districts, but oh well.

I just wanted the old SVC back and next year, WGH plays all of the former schools. I'll accept that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-14, 12:49 PM
theveer theveer is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 8
theveer is on a distinguished road
The powers who came up with 4 tiers ought to be hung out to dry.
3 tiers would be sufficient to accomodate this league.

Tier 1
Fitch Div. I
Harding Div. I
East Div. I
Boardman Div. II
Lakeside Div. II

Tier 2

Hubbard Div. III
Canfield Div. III
Howland Div. III
Niles Div. III
Poland Div. III
Jefferson Div. IV
Lakeview Div. IV
Struthers Div. IV

Tier 3
Edgewood Div. IV
Brookfield Div. VI
Campbell Div. V
Champion Div. V
Girard Div. V
Liberty Div. V
Labrae Div. V
Newton Falls Div. VI

If Edgewood shows a competitive advantage can move to Tier 2.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-14, 12:59 PM
Paladin1aa Paladin1aa is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-16-06
Location: Mahoning Valley
Posts: 841
Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
There are strong rumors floating around that several Trumbull teams are leaving. One is considering moving to another league that shocked me.. I'm expecting this to get unstable real quick over the next few years.

BTW, Poland and Niles both being able to play for two titles in one league isn't going to fly for very long. Other teams are now looking to see what are alternatives to the AAC if that happens.

Last edited by Paladin1aa; 10-07-14 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-14, 01:58 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,946
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by theveer View Post
The powers who came up with 4 tiers ought to be hung out to dry.
3 tiers would be sufficient to accomodate this league.

Tier 1
Fitch Div. I
Harding Div. I
East Div. I
Boardman Div. II
Lakeside Div. II

Tier 2

Hubbard Div. III
Canfield Div. III
Howland Div. III
Niles Div. III
Poland Div. III
Jefferson Div. IV
Lakeview Div. IV
Struthers Div. IV

Tier 3
Edgewood Div. IV
Brookfield Div. VI
Campbell Div. V
Champion Div. V
Girard Div. V
Liberty Div. V
Labrae Div. V
Newton Falls Div. VI

If Edgewood shows a competitive advantage can move to Tier 2.
And you throw the privates into the first tier and you don't have to have any crossovers at all and everyone has at least 6 league games. One big league with just about everyone.
Tthen if say Boardman wanted to play Canfield or Poland, they could schedule it as an OOC game.

As mentioned above, you could also play all the big rivalry games the same week - Poland/Canfield, Mooney/Ursuline, Boardman/Fitch, etc.

The only thing that would be a pain would be having an odd number of teams in the top tier, meaning someone would have to find an out of conference game every week.

If you don't want that, you see if Steuby or Massillon is interested to really even it all out and have 3 tiers of 8.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-07-14, 06:17 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,385
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
It really doesn't matter if Ursuline/ Mooney join the conference. They are competitve in every sport. Football is the only one where the problem arises. As long as the lower tiers didnt have to play them, whats the issue? But i understand the point of view the schools have against the privates.

The tiers really set up nicely for competitive purposes (in football at least)
But i see Niles really struggling in tier 2.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-07-14, 06:18 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,385
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
and we'll see about jefferson lakeside and edgewood. I dont think any of them will be able to compete on a yearly basis. Jefferson maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-07-14, 06:35 PM
Worm02 Worm02 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Warren, OH
Posts: 6,793
Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
And you throw the privates into the first tier and you don't have to have any crossovers at all and everyone has at least 6 league games. One big league with just about everyone.
Tthen if say Boardman wanted to play Canfield or Poland, they could schedule it as an OOC game.

As mentioned above, you could also play all the big rivalry games the same week - Poland/Canfield, Mooney/Ursuline, Boardman/Fitch, etc.

The only thing that would be a pain would be having an odd number of teams in the top tier, meaning someone would have to find an out of conference game every week.

If you don't want that, you see if Steuby or Massillon is interested to really even it all out and have 3 tiers of 8.
BINGO!!!

While they probably won't see it that way, the "unfair thing" about placing Steubenville in the top tier is that they have a smaller enrollment than Howland, Niles, Hubbard, Poland, Canfield, etc. Then again, that's the difference between Big Red & the local programs in that they are willing to play anybody. Massillon goes without saying. It's always great to have the Tigers on the slate!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-08-14, 07:38 AM
Jtown5 Jtown5 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-25-12
Posts: 126
Jtown5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
and we'll see about jefferson lakeside and edgewood. I dont think any of them will be able to compete on a yearly basis. Jefferson maybe.
Jefferson should at least be able to compete with Lakeview, Niles, and Struthers most years. Poland and Hubbard not likely. Edgewood has no business in Tier 2 they would struggle with Newton Falls and Champion this year, and there JV is even worse. Lakeside should be in Tier 2 , they may be
D2 size wise but they are more like an average D4 team in talent.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-08-14, 08:38 AM
Buckeye Elite Buckeye Elite is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-10-14
Posts: 1,340
Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Neither Jefferson or Edgewood will ever have a chance to win, maybe an upset here and there but that's it. This comment isn't trying to be rude or disrespectful, but playing struthers poland hubbard and lakeview most likely back to backs is too tough if a task, only team I see them competing with is Niles and you never know how Niles will be it's a roller coaster over there as of late
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-08-14, 08:43 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,946
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Neither Jefferson or Edgewood will ever have a chance to win, maybe an upset here and there but that's it. This comment isn't trying to be rude or disrespectful, but playing struthers poland hubbard and lakeview most likely back to backs is too tough if a task, only team I see them competing with is Niles and you never know how Niles will be it's a roller coaster over there as of late
Jefferson has been in the top 10 of their region most of the last 5 years, so they aren't exactly bad, They will probably be in the top 10 again this year as well.

Seems to me Lakeside is a little over their heads in teir 1 as well. Especially if any of Steuby, Assillon, Mooney or Ursuline ever is allowed in.

The thing is, over time, going by enrollment is really all you can do. Talent always goes up and down.

Unless of course you have teams willing to play up, like I would imagine Steuby and the privates would.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-08-14, 04:11 PM
gotti544 gotti544 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-22-11
Posts: 502
gotti544 is on a distinguished road
I think you can forget Ursuline or Mooney getting in. Last year Commisioner of the AAC stated in a press release the league isn't interested in private schools. Youngstown Christian applied and was turned down.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-09-14, 12:44 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 4,385
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
I'm not saying Jefferson is bad, but they aren't going to be playing labrae, champion and conneaut anymore. I think it'll be a tough road.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-09-14, 01:39 PM
Paladin1aa Paladin1aa is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-16-06
Location: Mahoning Valley
Posts: 841
Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
My understanding is there is some interest in bringing in Steuby but it was put off because of the legal problems and publicity down there. But the upper tier would welcome them. Massillon won't be interested. Not enough home games for them ( lol).

THe AAC is on record of being against bringing in any private schools.

The challenge moving forward is trying to keep all in the league and not having teams leaving.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-09-14, 02:02 PM
sportster4321 sportster4321 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-11-12
Posts: 1,626
sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
I don't understand how Steubenville could land in the upper tier if it were to ever happen. Wouldn't they be in the middle tier being a d4 school.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-09-14, 02:08 PM
Spartan0505 Spartan0505 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-07
Posts: 2,182
Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
I would not mind Steubenville joining the upper tier.... Would also like to see Boardman keep playing 1 or 2 teams from the FED (McKinley, Lake).

Also, are Boardman and Ursuline playing next year for sure?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-09-14, 02:17 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 8,946
EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
I would not mind Steubenville joining the upper tier.... Would also like to see Boardman keep playing 1 or 2 teams from the FED (McKinley, Lake).

Also, are Boardman and Ursuline playing next year for sure?
If so, that means almost the entire old SVC will be playing one another next year... hilarious!

So Boardman and Fitch will play an AAC conference schedule the 2nd half and a steel valley conference schedule the first half. Kudos to those schools for making their scheduling easier.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-09-14, 03:09 PM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 2,823
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Boardman 2015 Schedule

@Mentor
Mooney
@Jackson
@Perry
Canfield
Lorain
Warren Harding
@Ursuline
Fitch
Lakeside


So a mix of Fed, AAC, and SVC lol.

Reminds me of the late 90s/early 00s schedules. 2 Fed schools, 1 marque D1 (Ignatius now Mentor), the entire old SVC, a couple cupacakes, and a local rival in Canfield.

Last edited by BHSspartans13; 10-09-14 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-09-14, 03:32 PM
AtownFalcon201 AtownFalcon201 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-13-02
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 972
AtownFalcon201
Fitch's 2015 schedule so far is:

Hudson
@Brunswick
-----
@Harding
East
Massillon
@Lakeside
Erie McDowell
@Boardman
-----

So far no cross-over games from Tier 2. How many games are supposed to be cross-over? 1?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz