Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 04:39 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on this article written in The Post by Todd Stumpf

Many in the VASJ vs Northwestern thread already heard of this story by now and is now starting to make its rounds on social media. It's an absolute lack of professionalism. I'm curious what are some of the other users thoughts on this article.

http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/nor...ign=user-share
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 04:44 PM
Freshman

VilleBooster is on a distinguished road
blatant racism. sheesh... how does an editor let that get published?!?!
Old 03-20-17, 04:48 PM
All Region

Lakeshore5 is on a distinguished road
This is already being discussed in the game thread for that regional final.
Old 03-20-17, 05:00 PM
Junior Varsity

farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Is this guy writing a legitimate article or is he just an angry South Pole Elf? And he gets the Northwestern coach to play into it. Sour grapes?? You got beat, deal with it. Writing an article and making accusations about high school kids is wrong. nothing during that game was unsportsmanlike from what I could see. several times VASJ helped up players from Northwestern, etc. and vice versa. The VASJ coach went out of his way to congratulated the Northwestern big kid after he fouled out. I didnt see the Northwestern coach doing anything like that. The bad sportsmanship may start with the losing coach. Back to my question. Bad sport writing?
Old 03-20-17, 05:05 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Sour grapes. Some people just need to keep their mouth shut. VASJ was better end of story.

By writing something like this it makes the writer and the school look like cry babies.
What is gained by writing this article? Nothing.

How about writing an article congratulating your team on a great season instead of looking like a fool.

The sad thing is people see what they want to see, it's obvious that this gentleman came into this game with some preconceived notions, which is never a good thing.

This article screams "hey they were a better basketball team, but we are better people." Which is a very elitist and poor attitude, would the same article have been written had Northwestern won? Haha, doubt it!

Last edited by afwpatfire; 03-20-17 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 05:12 PM
Varsity

22 Acacia Ave is on a distinguished road
Great article! Couldn't be more true!
Old 03-20-17, 05:20 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Wow, that's absolute garbage. I am from a small rural school that has had a lot of basketball success on the tourney trail....but would have had a lot more if we hadn't run into the big city privates (and some guy named Lebron) a couple times. Sure, it would have been great to win more, but I don't think one kid who has ever gone thru our program would want to win a championship without beating the best....no matter what school it is. Hard to believe that the paper would publish that. The Northwestern kids chanting "spoiled rich kids" is no different than the VASJ kids chanting "tractors".....considering a lot of the guys on the VASJ team are far from "spoiled" or "rich", it's even worse in my eyes.
Old 03-20-17, 05:26 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
considering a lot of the guys on the VASJ team are far from "spoiled" or "rich", it's even worse in my eyes.
How do they afford tuition?
Old 03-20-17, 05:48 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Sour grapes. Some people just need to keep their mouth shut. VASJ was better end of story.

By writing something like this it makes the writer and the school look like cry babies.
If you think it reflects on the school at all, then the problem is in your corner. However if you're correct and the school does actually think this way (not implied in the article) then this is another case where the adults need step out of the way, get the kids opportunity to meet and they'll see there's not a whole lot of difference. Got a LOT of flack for suggesting that on the Tipp-Wapak threads but I still feel it's the best way to bring understanding. Adults propagate problems that kids if given opportunity, will solve. Old dogs versus new dogs.

What's most odd to me about the writer, he acknowledges Northwestern started the chant with "spoiled rich kids," fairly standard, not too derisive chant and VASJ replied with an equally standard, not too derisive chant. That's pretty gentle poking back and forth and this guy turns it into the Cuban Missile Crisis. That's pretty laughable.
Old 03-20-17, 05:54 PM
All World

Sadly it does refelect on the school simply because the article is about them. I know they aren't the ones crying, but if I was associated with the school I would not be happy about the article and I would be in the process of writing a letter to the editor to let my thoughts be known.
Old 03-20-17, 05:58 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
If you think it reflects on the school at all, then the problem is in your corner.

What's most odd to me about the writer, he acknowledges Northwestern started the chant with "spoiled rich kids," fairly standard, not too derisive chant and VASJ replied with an equally standard, not too derisive chant. That's pretty gentle poking back and forth and this guy turns it into the Cuban Missile Crisis. That's pretty laughable.
You are right that his reflects on the writer and not the school. But this guy had an agenda and he knew the story he intended to write before the game began. If you look at his previous article about the Northwest win over St. Thomas Aquinas, he was laying foundation for his vitriol against VASJ even in that article. The back and forth between the student sections seemed pretty even and pretty benign. One poster who was at the game said both teams exhibited good sportsmanship; helping the opposing player up from the floor. But none of this supported the writer's preordained conclusions, so he misrepresented what happened to suit his own ends. This is just terrible journalism, and I am disappointed that any legitimate newspaper would allow this story to go out under its banner.
Old 03-20-17, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

And I'm saying, that's a choice YOU are making so it reflects on you. You don't have to choose to reflect it upon the school. You want to.

No one at your school ever did something wrong? Does reflect on you? At least see my point?
Old 03-20-17, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
You are right that his reflects on the writer and not the school. But this guy had an agenda and he knew the story he intended to write before the game began. If you look at his previous article about the Northwest win over St. Thomas Aquinas, he was laying foundation for his vitriol against VASJ even in that article. The back and forth between the student sections seemed pretty even and pretty benign. One poster who was at the game said both teams exhibited good sportsmanship; helping the opposing player up from the floor. But none of this supported the writer's preordained conclusions, so he misrepresented what happened to suit his own ends. This is just terrible journalism, and I am disappointed that any legitimate newspaper would allow this story to go out under its banner.
Is there good journalism anymore?

Thinking more on afwpatfire's POV, I could say it does reflect on the community a bit, if they don't have the good Christian values and strength to shout down this kind of nonsense. They have an opportunity, let's see.
Old 03-20-17, 06:04 PM
All World

I do see your point, I just see it differently.

If someone at my school does something wrong it doesn't reflect directly on me, but it does reflect on the school district that I am a part of so yes, it does reflect on me because when others talk about it they are bound to mention the name of the school. Either way that's not really the topic of the thread.

I guess my point is that no one probably knew besides him and the editor, what the tone of the article would be. So as you said above and I also said, it's time to see how the community of Christians reacts to this article.
Old 03-20-17, 06:07 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 Acacia Ave View Post
How do they afford tuition?
Being a smart alec I say, how do you afford putting gas in your car and buying your kids school clothes? But to answer your question, while that is discussed in another thread, the bottom line is for some people, there are vouchers because their public school systems are horrible and for others that don't qualify, you do what you have to do for your family.
Old 03-20-17, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

I looked at the writer's bio and past articles. He, trying to be fair, hasn't taken this kind of approach on any other article I've found and he has written on private schools. Credentials are legit, Masters in Comm.

Maybe he had a button pushed but I still think he should be called out on it. I'm about as public education a supporter, private chooser derider as it gets but fairness is an issue here.
Old 03-20-17, 06:21 PM
All District

pete penny is on a distinguished road
Right or wrong, I believe that he just said what the majority of people think.
Old 03-20-17, 06:26 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
What even scarier is if in fact a majority does think that way.
Old 03-20-17, 07:17 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
for some people, there are vouchers
I see. Thanks!
Old 03-20-17, 07:35 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
I have seen a lot of schools that are basically Christian in name only with regards to how they act.

I can't say anything about VASJ as I've only seen them play once in my life, but there are schools out there that act like is described in the article that proclaim they are Christian schools.
Old 03-20-17, 08:14 PM
Freshman

VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
This article is wrong on so many levels. For one, VASJ did help NW players up. Maybe not all the time but they did. Same thing NW did. He failed to mention that when the big man from NW fouled out, the head coach Babe Kwasniak went out of his way and hugged the kid and congratulated him on a great season. As for the VASJ player taunting. After he dunked on a kid and had an and-1, he looked at their student section and had some words to say. Is this right? HELL NO. The coaching staff tore him a new one about it. As for NW student section, they heckled our players the entire warm-ups. This is fine except for some of the senseless stuff they called our players. I talked with some players from VASJ and names like "hood rats" "wiggers" "n******" were yelled out from the stands. I hope this is not true but if so, you cant blame the VASJ player for saying stuff back. The article then tries to make VASJ look like the bad guy by yelling "start the tractors" after being called a bunch of spoiled rich kids. This is just two student sections going back and forth. He also states that the people of VASJ have a silver spoon in their hands. This is hilarious considering VASJ is located on the border of Euclid and Collinwood. Not saying that people are poor in this area but are for sure not rich. The people work hard to send their kids to VASJ because the public schools are bad in the area. Besides this all, there is a racist undertone to the article. This article is pathetic in every sense and if you agree with what he put, you are a part of the issue.
Old 03-20-17, 09:23 PM
All World

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Not to defend the article, but I suspect the writer is in tune with the thoughts of his audience (Northern Wayne County) and wrote it as a commiseration piece rather than one man standing alone.

I wonder if we'll hear any backlash from his community.
Old 03-20-17, 09:25 PM
Freshman

EdzSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Eds plays VASJ every year....those are humble kids, great parents, down to earth coaches. We see it every time we beat a public...they start their crap every time they lose - it's why us parents put our kids into private schools, lol. VASJ kids/parents/coaches have a ton of Class and have NEVER shown anything but. Good luck post "Koch" !!

Last edited by EdzSportsFan; 03-20-17 at 09:26 PM. Reason: The edit
Old 03-20-17, 09:41 PM
All District

RedEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post

I wonder if we'll hear any backlash from his community.
Absolutely not!
He indeed was playing to his audience. His narrow-minded, racist mindset has thrived in his subscription area for decades. Very, very surprised this freshman-like column came from a seasoned "professional." While a column is supposed to be an opinion piece, there are lines which are dangerous to cross. Funny thing is, had this been written for a high school newspaper, it would have likely been nixed before it hit print. Its glaring juvenile nature just wouldn't have gotten past a journalism teacher. It's obvious his lone goal was to be looked favorably on by a county which has lived and died with the public vs private debate. While he has every right to share his opinion, the column was littered with inaccuracies and obvious prejudice and hatred. Very sad that a grown-up has this much pent-up anger toward children. Very, very sad, and very telling!!!!

Last edited by RedEagle; 03-20-17 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 09:53 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Terrible article, but I've read crap from newspapers that blatantly take shots at their own hometown schools. It's sad that some people use their platform to promote their agendas.
Old 03-20-17, 10:12 PM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Am I the only one that finds it amusing that Wayne County is the biggest origin of the anti catholic/private sentiments. Wayne County. What grievance do they have against the privates? Its not like if it wasnt for the privates, wayne county schools would be winning state titles regularly. Truth is, Wayne County is as a whole a rather weak area in sports ( although I will point out Orrville which is fairly respectable in football) that stand little to gain if they achieve the goal of shutting down every last catholic school. I find it ironic how its these guys who are a bit more vocal, not, you know, Macland, the Federal League, public schools who have actually a tradition of being excellent/state calibre, and actually do have something to gain with private schools out.

I will tell you one story I find amusing. I am a track/cross country guy. I graduated from Coventry in 2015. Over the last 3 years, my track team has risen from being the worst team in the area to a very competitive team with some impressive stats. One invitational we traditionally attended every year was The Ernie Moor Invitational in Chippewa. In 2014 when our team had its initial breakout season, our team fell 4 points short of winning the meet, unprecedented for our team. We returned almost everybody for 2015 season. Guess who didn't invite us back since 2014. They wanted to keep a cupcake invitational, and not face a real challenge in Coventry. Of course Imdown with that, we can now chase better competition. Still amusing, I have to wonder, if wayne county is like that in the main sports, they talk loud, they complain, but they wilt against real outsider challenges. Kinda sad.

Again, Im not even a private school supporter, in fact I care little for the private schools. I just dont like incessant obnoxious complaining from teams that still have a lot of improvements to make internally (no AAU? Whats up with that...) Plus Im not a fan of Wayne County because they gave us Competitive balance garbage, which I do NOT like.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-17, 11:28 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdzSportsFan View Post
Eds plays VASJ every year....those are humble kids, great parents, down to earth coaches. We see it every time we beat a public...they start their crap every time they lose - it's why us parents put our kids into private schools, lol. VASJ kids/parents/coaches have a ton of Class and have NEVER shown anything but. Good luck post "Koch" !!
Thanks Edz! Good luck to the Eagles this weekend.
Old 03-21-17, 12:04 AM
All District

Bbear44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Am I the only one that finds it amusing that Wayne County is the biggest origin of the anti catholic/private sentiments. Wayne County. What grievance do they have against the privates? Its not like if it wasnt for the privates, wayne county schools would be winning state titles regularly. Truth is, Wayne County is as a whole a rather weak area in sports ( although I will point out Orrville which is fairly respectable in football) that stand little to gain if they achieve the goal of shutting down every last catholic school. I find it ironic how its these guys who are a bit more vocal, not, you know, Macland, the Federal League, public schools who have actually a tradition of being excellent/state calibre, and actually do have something to gain with private schools out.

I will tell you one story I find amusing. I am a track/cross country guy. I graduated from Coventry in 2015. Over the last 3 years, my track team has risen from being the worst team in the area to a very competitive team with some impressive stats. One invitational we traditionally attended every year was The Ernie Moor Invitational in Chippewa. In 2014 when our team had its initial breakout season, our team fell 4 points short of winning the meet, unprecedented for our team. We returned almost everybody for 2015 season. Guess who didn't invite us back since 2014. They wanted to keep a cupcake invitational, and not face a real challenge in Coventry. Of course Imdown with that, we can now chase better competition. Still amusing, I have to wonder, if wayne county is like that in the main sports, they talk loud, they complain, but they wilt against real outsider challenges. Kinda sad.

Again, Im not even a private school supporter, in fact I care little for the private schools. I just dont like incessant obnoxious complaining from teams that still have a lot of improvements to make internally (no AAU? Whats up with that...) Plus Im not a fan of Wayne County because they gave us Competitive balance garbage, which I do NOT like.

Being very familiar with the Wayne county area, you actually hear very little anti catholic school sentiment. Although it is a weak area in sports, they have a legitimate gripe. A school like VASJ has their pick of athletes in a city of 500k people, while a school like Northwestern or other WCAL has to scrape to get decent talent in a village of 5k. You may not see a problem there, but it is pretty obvious. It's very difficult to make improvements when the odds are stacked against a district that bad.

Last edited by Bbear44; 03-21-17 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 12:51 AM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
You are right, it is a disadvantage. But it is very possible for schools like the ones in Wayne County to see far more success. MAC country, as I understand, isnt too different from Wayne County. Why are they so succesfull over in MACland do you think?

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 03-21-17 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 01:35 AM
All District

Bbear44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
You are right, it is a disadvantage. But it is very possible for schools like the ones in Wayne County to see far more success. MAC country, as I understand, isnt too different from Wayne County. Why are they so succesfull over in MACland do you think?

Because they are so close to the Indiana border, and in that area, bball is life. The kids are taught very young, starting in Y-ball.

Wayne county has very little for young kids, a few of the schools are getting some traveling youth teams and there is some very good talent coming up but they are so far behind the times.