Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 09:58 AM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Distance Training

Do some of you, who solely train distance events do "true" speed work with their guys on a regular basis or during any cycle of training? By "true" I mean anything that doesn't exceed the 3-6 second mark and at 100%... If so, how often?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 10:48 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
It's in the plan ~1/week. Late Base phase we begin Flying 30's. To stay warm, we generally slog 370m in between ~3:00 recovery. As the season progresses we move up to Flying 40's. Reps are 8-10.

Early in base phase we also do 8 second hill sprints, so a bit longer than your 3-6 sec range but still primarily a CP/neuromuscular activity.

Note that our phases are ~ 6 weeks - we use a 24 week season that begins right after Christmas.

I have guys that are running anywhere from 20 mpw to 70 mpw. It depends on their training age, there off-season work, and what they can handle mentally, emotionally, and physically. Once they have a couple weeks of lower intensity work, we would include newbies in the flying 30s.
Old 03-20-17, 11:12 AM
All District

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
It's in the plan ~1/week. Late Base phase we begin Flying 30's. To stay warm, we generally slog 370m in between ~3:00 recovery. As the season progresses we move up to Flying 40's. Reps are 8-10.

Early in base phase we also do 8 second hill sprints, so a bit longer than your 3-6 sec range but still primarily a CP/neuromuscular activity.

Note that our phases are ~ 6 weeks - we use a 24 week season that begins right after Christmas.

I have guys that are running anywhere from 20 mpw to 70 mpw. It depends on their training age, there off-season work, and what they can handle mentally, emotionally, and physically. Once they have a couple weeks of lower intensity work, we would include newbies in the flying 30s.
Thanks Madman... I love to see coaches that individualize their training to the actual kid and not the group.... Great Stuff! I really like the 24 week season, I will add that to my notes for next year
Old 03-20-17, 12:21 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
We do a little most days. The MIT coach wrote an interesting piece on using strides at the end of practice to do high intensity, so 2 or 3 ~40m sprints. It is too early to tell for sure, but XC season seemed to show some positive results from this. We also have a few workouts (one or two in each cycle) that are primarily designed for 95-100% max effort for less than 10 seconds with long recovery.

As with madman, it depends on the kid. Some of our more fragile middle distance kids do more of this, since it tends to be work they can do without putting a ton of pounding on the kid. Our distance kids are almost all in the range of 25-50 miles per week total volume. (A few of them use the pool to extend this volume a little.) But we have several different primary training groups depending on events and volume.
Old 03-20-17, 01:37 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
we sprint every day. 100 meter buildups with the last 50 at a pretty good clip
Old 03-20-17, 01:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
We do a little most days. The MIT coach wrote an interesting piece on using strides at the end of practice to do high intensity, so 2 or 3 ~40m sprints. It is too early to tell for sure, but XC season seemed to show some positive results from this. We also have a few workouts (one or two in each cycle) that are primarily designed for 95-100% max effort for less than 10 seconds with long recovery.

As with madman, it depends on the kid. Some of our more fragile middle distance kids do more of this, since it tends to be work they can do without putting a ton of pounding on the kid. Our distance kids are almost all in the range of 25-50 miles per week total volume. (A few of them use the pool to extend this volume a little.) But we have several different primary training groups depending on events and volume.
Also good info mathking, does the amount of sprinting depend on the distance the kid is also competing in? So would a 800M runner, sprint more than a
3200M runner? I have been a predominant Sprint coach and have only coached adolescent kids in distance races, so I'm really trying to get as much information on training high school distance kids as possible to compare my research with as well as what I've experienced so far..
Old 03-20-17, 06:42 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Yes, our primarily 800 kids do more full speed stuff. Their race requires better top end speed. Less for the longer kids. We have really only been doing the speed stuff like this for the distance kids about five or six years now. Earlier in my career (in particular back in the early 90s) almost all the speed work was really speed endurance.
Old 03-20-17, 07:22 PM
All District

Seppo Kaitainen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach View Post
Also good info mathking, does the amount of sprinting depend on the distance the kid is also competing in? So would a 800M runner, sprint more than a
3200M runner? I have been a predominant Sprint coach and have only coached adolescent kids in distance races, so I'm really trying to get as much information on training high school distance kids as possible to compare my research with as well as what I've experienced so far..
One of the proposed benefits of true speed work is improved running economy throughout all speed ranges. There aren't really true "distance" races in OHSAA track. At the top end, the 3200 kids are still running faster than some JV kids race a 400. While those kids aren't using a lot of anaerobic fuel, they're still constrained by their top speed and having good sprint mechanics can help them maintain their efficiency.

We do either short hill sprints of around 30m or flying 40's on the track once a week. I've only been doing this for the last two and a half years, but it seems to help.
Old 03-21-17, 08:02 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Watching distance kids run 30-40 meters at 100% is just pathetic, so we have them do it at 110%. It helps speed things along, and also a good bonding exercise with the football kids on the team.
Old 03-22-17, 05:23 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo Kaitainen View Post
One of the proposed benefits of true speed work is improved running economy throughout all speed ranges. There aren't really true "distance" races in OHSAA track. At the top end, the 3200 kids are still running faster than some JV kids race a 400. While those kids aren't using a lot of anaerobic fuel, they're still constrained by their top speed and having good sprint mechanics can help them maintain their efficiency.

We do either short hill sprints of around 30m or flying 40's on the track once a week. I've only been doing this for the last two and a half years, but it seems to help.
Great, thanks for the response
Old 03-22-17, 05:25 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Yes, our primarily 800 kids do more full speed stuff. Their race requires better top end speed. Less for the longer kids. We have really only been doing the speed stuff like this for the distance kids about five or six years now. Earlier in my career (in particular back in the early 90s) almost all the speed work was really speed endurance.
I think early on everyone was doing speed endurance instead of speed work, I think the level of coaching over the last several years has really elevated on the high school level. Thanks for your input, much appreciated