Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-18-17, 03:12 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
I dont think here that anyone is complaining about talent disparity in any one year, youll get that. I think the issue here is that some schools are better able to put more talent on the floor year after year than others. Some argue the difference is between public vs private, others that it is urban vs rural. Im more sold on urban/suburban vs rural, as D1 is a clear demonstration of the validity of the public vs private theory, of which, it doesnt seem like the numbers back it up that premise too well. If you look at d3 and d4, it is vastly different between the talent the urban schools are able to put on the floor vs what the rurals can do. And I say this as someone who is not necessarily a rural school supporter (although there are some in my league), in fact, my public school gets almost 40 percent of its students from open enrollment, we are well primed to take advantage of our urban inherent advantages. Regardless, I do recognize that these advantages are out there and can see the argument about more directly separating the rural schools in the playoffs. But there is really no easy way to resolve this in a satisfactory manner for all parties involved, competitive balance, which I hate, will do nill. No easy solution, and I shudder to think of the messes that further top down solutions are bound to make, should they happen. But the problem so clearly still remains.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-17, 11:01 PM
Freshman

VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
Roger Bacon heads to Columbus for the 3rd time in four years. Is anybody screaming that they should be moved up? Or are we going to only attack VASJ. I am not a hater of Roger Bacon and I am glad for their program. The reason I am posting this is to show that getting rid of VASJ is not the answer for a more fair DIII. You can't get mad at teams for having a great run of players that come through the school.

In reality, Joes should not be going to States for the fifth time in a row. These past two years, they should have been eliminated in the districts. 2016 took a miracle for Joes to get past Warrensville and Beachwood. Both teams were bigger, faster, and stronger. Joes had no varsity experience and went to regionals by beating a loaded Beachwood team on a buzzer beater shot. This year, Beachwood missed a left handed layup at the buzzer that would have beat Joes. VASJ is going through basically another golden era of basketball at the school. You can't fault us for getting the kids who grow up two minutes away from the school.
Old 03-19-17, 05:53 PM
All Ohio

beaker is on a distinguished road
9 out of 16 teams in final fours are private. In northeast region of the state all 4 divisions, the representative from the Northeast is a private school. All from the Cleveland area. All have good basketball programs that attract good players. Its no secret thats why the VASJ and SVSM are always good. Being a fan of McDonald this year and last year competed very well against Lutheran East and Warren JFK, just ran out of steam in the 4th qtr. Depth is the issue, some of the private schools have many more quality players year in and year out. A public school has that kind of depth much, much less often. Maybe McDonald will get some transfers this year to get some quality depth at key positions. If you can't beat them, join them in the transfer game...
Old 03-19-17, 07:04 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
9 out of 16 is only one away from being 100% even. That is pretty darn close to 50/50. Hard to get more even then that. It's also worth noting that if Malven and Beachwood make open layups at the buzzer Lutheran East and VASJ are home watching instead of being amoung the favorites.
Old 03-19-17, 08:29 PM
All Ohio

beaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
9 out of 16 is only one away from being 100% even. That is pretty darn close to 50/50. Hard to get more even then that. It's also worth noting that if Malven and Beachwood make open layups at the buzzer Lutheran East and VASJ are home watching instead of being amoung the favorites.
That's true it's almost 50/50 until you take into consideration that private schools are outnumbered 4 to 1 by publics. I don't know exact number but this has been argued on here for years. Both Malvern and Beachwood did blow opportunities. The difference is next year likely they won't have that chance again. Malvern graduates 2 great players, I know nothing about Beachwood. I do know it's easier for LE and VASJ to reload and consistently go far in tourney. Good for them. Question is, how can McDonald or Malvern keep up.
Old 03-19-17, 08:58 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Your math appears to be pretty good, but considering the public/private mix of basketball playing schools is at least 90/10, it's really hard to understand the relevance of your 50/50 point?
Old 03-19-17, 09:31 PM
All Ohio

I see publics getting 2/4 state championships this season. T-Wood, and Jackson.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-17, 09:46 PM
All American

You cannot count the rural teams evenly with city teams. You have large contingent of teams that will have zero chance to win a district, regional or attend state no matter what system is in place. Example: you remove all the privates from D3 - what are the odds these rural teams beat the public from the larger cities ? I can tell you that Beachwood would have rolled every rural team last year - badly. In the years prior Warrensville Heights would have came out of Garfield Heights district and more then likely coasted to Columbus.

So where there may be a lot more public schools by number - many of those programs are not very good, for a variety of reasons. That makes the difference much closer.
Old 03-20-17, 08:27 AM
Junior Varsity

Norton21 is on a distinguished road
^^^^ while this is largely mostly true this regional winner doesn't always come from cleveland. In 2010 I believe Orville won this region and I believe won state. In 2013 Labrae won this region beating Beachwood in the region final by around 30 points. Thats 2 times in last 7 years the Cleveland winner didn't win the regional. My opinion is not 100% set on either side of this yet
Old 03-20-17, 03:58 PM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
LaBrae is in Warren and won't play Harding, won't play Ursuline, won't play Boardman, and won't even play little JFK.

No surprise their "perfect" season was ruined by a Garfield...a district champion that lost by 40 (could have been any number VASJ wanted.)

The same could be said for McDonald. The trapping "pressure" defense that they run, works well against smaller, slower teams...JFK had little trouble with it. CCA would have had little trouble with it too.

The competition is there...coaches just got to want to play against it and get better. A 25-2 record is meaningless if you can't even get to a regional championship, let alone win your district.
Totally agree with all of this. Some of these teams schedule their way to gaudy records in the regular season and play the vaunted "conference opponent in out of conference games" when they could schedule up.
Old 03-20-17, 07:01 PM
All American

Most teams have 6 to 8 games outside the conference to challenge themselves. Also how many rural kids play AAU in the offseason to develope their game against tougher talent. My guess is not many.
Old 03-20-17, 09:50 PM
Junior Varsity

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
This thread is interesting. Just joined here a few days ago, I am really enjoying the atmosphere. But I digress.

I coach youth ball. Now high school ball is not youth ball. But bear with me for a moment. In youth ball, they usually have school based teams and select teams in any given tournament. The concept is that as your drawing pool increases in number, so does your ability and depth.

Here in NW Ohio, a town with one school (Ottawa Hills) may have 30 boys in a grade. In a larger school district(Washington Local-Whitmer), you may have 300 in one grade. Even if the smaller school can get some talent, they simply cannot match the depth. The numbers won't allow it. These two districts border each other in West Toledo, but could in no way compete. Legit I think Whitmer JV beats or comes close to beating Ottawa Hills varsity.

At the same time, a school like St. Francis(also in West Toledo), only has 150 per grade. But the drawing area(often with a predilection for certain sports-Hockey and Swimming for the Frannies) really expands the pool to a size equal to or greater than Whitmer.

Additionally, at Whitmer or at St Francis, just making the team is hard, not to mention that just walking in the gym, you have competition all the time in order to keep your spot. You don't have to just schedule competition (which both do because they play in the TRAC), you have to outplay it every day to keep your spot. I would argue that larger schools will have better competition day to day in practice than smaller schools will ever be able to schedule. At Ottawa Hills, they are just looking for bodies.

As far as who should be classified what, I can't venture a guess. But I can tell you this. I saw a very good Leipsic team disassemble everyone up here in NWO a few years back, only to get to state and get run out of the gym by VASJ(I think). Leipsic is a tiny school with no way of being able to compete with the perennial powers drawing from large areas/numbers. I think they have 30 boys per grade.

Last year, I watched a diesel LCC squad with two D1 recruits dismantle a very good Milan Edison team and then a good Ottawa Hills team at Stroh. Neither was a game, the level of play was simply not comparable. Dixon, O'Connor and the other kid could have beaten both teams on their own(with two other bodies). The fact that they had Dantez Walton and Tre Cobbs, yeah, it wasn't even close.

I have no dog in the fight and am just a fan of youth and high school bball. But what is the problem with distinguishing between select teams and geographically limited teams? We all know the separation exists, so why pretend? Why not let the recruited/attracted and large school teams play, and then let the geographically limited teams play?

In boxing and wrestling, we have weight classes so people can go toe to toe on a level playing field(as long as you can cut weight). What I want to know is: What are the recruited/attracted/selected schools afraid of?
Old 03-21-17, 03:49 AM
All American

You are only looking at one sport - basketball. VASJ happens to be a tradition rich powerhouse that kids grow up wanting to play for. I don't see you mention the other sports that VASJ gets their teeth kicked in by public and private schools alike. Joe's is good in boys basketball, girls volleyball and track. They are decent in football - but nowhere like they used to be. In everything else they are pretty weak.

If you remove all the privates from the small school divisions the small inner city or urban schools will just move into that open spot and you will have the exact same problem and complaints.
Old 03-21-17, 07:27 AM
Junior Varsity

You may still have complaints, but you won't have them from me. I'm not for removing all the privates, because they don't all have the same depth of talent pool. I am for adjusting division placement based on the depth of the talent pool you draw from in that given sport.

This is why a school like Mentor can win state without a star. 300-400 boys in a grade can give a team tremendous depth.

Last edited by BacktoBack; 03-21-17 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Edited to correct for class size at Mentor.
Old 03-21-17, 10:09 PM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
As we head in to the final week of the season and this board winds down until next year, I'll start this post by giving my congratulations to VASJ on another championship season. No discussion of "competitive balance" or "quality competition" should detract from the outstanding effort and performance given by all associated with the program. Best of luck this weekend.

As I touched upon in a prior post, determination of a team's schedule is a delicate procedure that is very different for different teams. I think VASJ is scheduling appropriately for their particular team. I suspect Beachwood is as well. I would also contend -- in dispute of what is noted by the original post -- that our team is as well. We would get nothing out of playing teams like SVSM, Mentor, or Moeller. We're simply not even close to good enough. We did attempt to schedule Summit and Roger Bacon, but (understandably) neither was interested in playing us. In going 14-10, we went 3-5 in our non-conference games, including 0-3 against the Southern Buckeye Conference and a large regular season loss to North College Hill. In the tournament, we defeated Bethel-Tate (regular season champion of the Southern Buckeye Conference) in the first round and lost a very competitive game with NCH in the second round. Our team improved as the season went on, and we ended with momentum heading into next season.

With regards to banners, our school used to hang banners for team regional titles...and there were quite a few of them...but four years ago changed to only including state champions. Coincidence or not, we haven't had a regional championship team since. I used to be the head boys soccer coach, and I hated seeing a few of my team's banners come down, because I know how much pride my boys on those teams felt in achieving what they did. As a teacher and coach, I know these material recognitions are trivial in comparison to the experiences we had and the relationships we developed, but I again think the best policy is different for different schools.

I should note that I also disagree with the "competitive balance" provision, and I say this as a coach who has won a couple state championships (5 of our last 6 victories in both seasons against private schools, including some who were loaded) and lost a handful of excruciatingly tight regional and state games to private schools that went on to win it all. But just because I disagree with the "competitive balance" provision doesn't mean I believe the level of talent is anywhere close to level. Summit was already considerably more talented than our team when the best player from St. Xavier, a wonderful kid and soccer/basketball player, transferred there as a junior last year. Roger Bacon was already heads and shoulders ahead of us, and they had the good fortune of having North College Hill's most talented player transfer in. This doesn't happen for a suburban school like ours (we're closed enrollment, but I wouldn't expect anything different if we were open enrollment). The Reading 2003 state title (including numerous senior transfers) was aberrational for our league.

I don't begrudge VASJ's success, and I don't doubt players are there legitimately (though I had to chuckle about the "two minutes from school" comment; I think it takes longer than that for me to walk from my classroom to the gym). But I don't think yappi supporters of VASJ realize just how fortunate a position you are in. The fantastic picture of the coach flanked by Pardon and the current underclassman superstar alone represented far more talent than our school has seen in my 22 years there. We do have one current young Major Leaguer (Andrew Benintendi of the Boston Red Sox), who we were extremely fortunate in convincing not to leave us for Moeller. We're proud and gratified that playing at our small hometown public school, at least to this point, has not proven to be a detriment to his career development. Incidentally, Andrew was an Ohio D3 basketball player of the year for us (as well as a Gatorade Ohio baseball player of the year, selected for the best player in all divisions).

Bottom line. Congratulations. Good luck. Love watching the way your boys play. Keep in mind that different schools are in different situations than yours. While your schedule surely has helped your teams, those of us on the outside believe the outstanding talent in your program is a significantly greater factor in your success than the schedule.
Old 03-22-17, 07:09 AM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
True or False, private schools (I throw any public like Africentric, Eastmoor Academy etc in this list due to the fact that they operate like a private with limited lottery enrollment etc) have a physical boundary from which to draw students? False

True or False, do private schools have restrictions that they themselves place on enrollment to gain entry into their school? True

True or Fales, do public schools have to allow students who are home schooled, enrolled into a charter or internet school, or private school who doesnt offer a certain sport to participate at what WOULD be their home district? True

True or False, do public schools athletic enrollment numbers become inflated due to having to count students who no longer go to school within their walls, but are going to school home schooled, charter or online charter? True Columbus and other public metro schools had to accept these numbers, because the kid COULD participate, therefore they should be counted towards their enrollment!

So, tell me again how privates and publics are operating on a level playing field. I dont care if every kid in VASJ walks to school, the POOL of students around that school are a whole lot deeper than most public schools they end up playing against in the tournaments! This goes for every small private in metro areas. It is not racial, its NUMBERS!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-17, 08:29 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Most teams have 6 to 8 games outside the conference to challenge themselves. Also how many rural kids play AAU in the offseason to develope their game against tougher talent. My guess is not many.
So if they challenge themselves with tougher competition and if the kids play AAU jungle ball then it is a great equalizer. Give me a break. And of course rural kids are playing AAU ball. If they aren't playing baseball they are almost certainly playing AAU, now I will argue how much this helps a kids development.
Old 03-22-17, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirStanley View Post
As we head in to the final week of the season and this board winds down until next year, I'll start this post by giving my congratulations to VASJ on another championship season. No discussion of "competitive balance" or "quality competition" should detract from the outstanding effort and performance given by all associated with the program. Best of luck this weekend.

As I touched upon in a prior post, determination of a team's schedule is a delicate procedure that is very different for different teams. I think VASJ is scheduling appropriately for their particular team. I suspect Beachwood is as well. I would also contend -- in dispute of what is noted by the original post -- that our team is as well. We would get nothing out of playing teams like SVSM, Mentor, or Moeller. We're simply not even close to good enough. We did attempt to schedule Summit and Roger Bacon, but (understandably) neither was interested in playing us. In going 14-10, we went 3-5 in our non-conference games, including 0-3 against the Southern Buckeye Conference and a large regular season loss to North College Hill. In the tournament, we defeated Bethel-Tate (regular season champion of the Southern Buckeye Conference) in the first round and lost a very competitive game with NCH in the second round. Our team improved as the season went on, and we ended with momentum heading into next season.

With regards to banners, our school used to hang banners for team regional titles...and there were quite a few of them...but four years ago changed to only including state champions. Coincidence or not, we haven't had a regional championship team since. I used to be the head boys soccer coach, and I hated seeing a few of my team's banners come down, because I know how much pride my boys on those teams felt in achieving what they did. As a teacher and coach, I know these material recognitions are trivial in comparison to the experiences we had and the relationships we developed, but I again think the best policy is different for different schools.

I should note that I also disagree with the "competitive balance" provision, and I say this as a coach who has won a couple state championships (5 of our last 6 victories in both seasons against private schools, including some who were loaded) and lost a handful of excruciatingly tight regional and state games to private schools that went on to win it all. But just because I disagree with the "competitive balance" provision doesn't mean I believe the level of talent is anywhere close to level. Summit was already considerably more talented than our team when the best player from St. Xavier, a wonderful kid and soccer/basketball player, transferred there as a junior last year. Roger Bacon was already heads and shoulders ahead of us, and they had the good fortune of having North College Hill's most talented player transfer in. This doesn't happen for a suburban school like ours (we're closed enrollment, but I wouldn't expect anything different if we were open enrollment). The Reading 2003 state title (including numerous senior transfers) was aberrational for our league.

I don't begrudge VASJ's success, and I don't doubt players are there legitimately (though I had to chuckle about the "two minutes from school" comment; I think it takes longer than that for me to walk from my classroom to the gym). But I don't think yappi supporters of VASJ realize just how fortunate a position you are in. The fantastic picture of the coach flanked by Pardon and the current underclassman superstar alone represented far more talent than our school has seen in my 22 years there. We do have one current young Major Leaguer (Andrew Benintendi of the Boston Red Sox), who we were extremely fortunate in convincing not to leave us for Moeller. We're proud and gratified that playing at our small hometown public school, at least to this point, has not proven to be a detriment to his career development. Incidentally, Andrew was an Ohio D3 basketball player of the year for us (as well as a Gatorade Ohio baseball player of the year, selected for the best player in all divisions).

Bottom line. Congratulations. Good luck. Love watching the way your boys play. Keep in mind that different schools are in different situations than yours. While your schedule surely has helped your teams, those of us on the outside believe the outstanding talent in your program is a significantly greater factor in your success than the schedule.
Funny you mentioned Benintendi. I don't think people realize how close he was to going to Moe. But eh, It worked out for everybody.
Old 03-22-17, 11:11 AM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
Funny you mentioned Benintendi. I don't think people realize how close he was to going to Moe. But eh, It worked out for everybody.
Public may not have known, plaiboi, but we knew. Of course, Moeller could afford not to have him in both sports.
Old 03-22-17, 12:53 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
You know, for all the talk of how the rural schools cannot compete with the big city private schools, here is the list of the last 5 D2 champions in the State of Ohio.

2016- John Glenn
2015- Defiance
2014- Norwalk
2013- Bishop Waterson
2012- Elida

And with Trotwood Madison the heavy favorite to win D2 this year, it seems like this has been a pretty wide open division for public schools, with or without the CBP! And the rural schools have fared quite well.
Old 03-22-17, 01:19 PM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
You know, for all the talk of how the rural schools cannot compete with the big city private schools, here is the list of the last 5 D2 champions in the State of Ohio.

2016- John Glenn
2015- Defiance
2014- Norwalk
2013- Bishop Waterson
2012- Elida

And with Trotwood Madison the heavy favorite to win D2 this year, it seems like this has been a pretty wide open division for public schools, with or without the CBP! And the rural schools have fared quite well.
Lets take a look at D III!
2016 Lima Central Cath population 38,000
2015 VASJ population Euclid 48,000
2014 Lima Central Cath population 38,000
2013 Ottawa Glandorf population 4,500
2012 Cincy Country Day population Cincinatti
2011 Cincy Taft population Cincinatti
2010 Lima Central Cath population 38,000
2009 Cleve Central Cath population Cleveland

Like I have been saying for years, it isnt the number of kids that walk into your doors, its the number of kids to choose from, while keeping the rest out! lol
Old 03-22-17, 02:43 PM
Varsity

tndog is on a distinguished road
Quote:

2016- John Glenn
2015- Defiance
2014- Norwalk
2013- Bishop Waterson
2012- Elida

You might be surprised at the number on your list that got significant "help" from transfers. Also of note, it makes sense that people are less likely to complain when schools play in a higher (D1 or D2) division
Old 03-22-17, 04:00 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:

2016- John Glenn
2015- Defiance
2014- Norwalk
2013- Bishop Waterson
2012- Elida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndog View Post
You might be surprised at the number on your list that got significant "help" from transfers. Also of note, it makes sense that people are less likely to complain when schools play in a higher (D1 or D2) division
More like help from "open enrollment". I recall the last two years the discussions on yappi that both winning teams benefitted greatly from open enrolled students. Three of John Glenn's starters were from other districts.

Theese districts played by the rules and found a way to compete at the highest level.
Old 03-22-17, 05:05 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
More like help from "open enrollment". I recall the last two years the discussions on yappi that both winning teams benefitted greatly from open enrolled students. Three of John Glenn's starters were from other districts.

Theese districts played by the rules and found a way to compete at the highest level.
And don't even get us started on the MAC (although they are not super strong in Basketball, but still, the disadvantages allegedly inherent to these schools in Basketball should apply to football), a small school sport powerhouse league
Old 03-22-17, 07:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
So if they challenge themselves with tougher competition and if the kids play AAU jungle ball then it is a great equalizer. Give me a break. And of course rural kids are playing AAU ball. If they aren't playing baseball they are almost certainly playing AAU, now I will argue how much this helps a kids development.
Building a program takes time and it takes effort. Sure playing one Summer of AAU is not going to help. Other public schools do BUILD a program and they do it at the lower divisions. Kirtland is a perfect example in football. They were horrible prior to LeVerde showing up. He changed the culture.

You need to have the varsity coach involved in every level of basketball. You need to develop a system that works for the type of player you have. It takes player development, great coaching, parents and player commitment, etc. - it also takes time. AAU is not a place to go to develope. It does however expose you to all types of players in size and ability. You can learn how to play against players of that caliber. Will it assure a state championship, maybe and maybe not. But it will yield a program that is solid year in and year out that plays a cohesive style of basketball that works for them. Many small schools have won state titles over private schools - it can be done if your willing to put in the OT. The issue is many schools rather complain then to do all the work needed to BUILD a program.
Old 03-22-17, 07:32 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Please clarify what you mean by this terminology.
Old 03-23-17, 06:52 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Please clarify what you mean by this terminology.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the MOST COMMON gripe about AAU or any off-season hoops for that matter is that it is 5 1 on 1 games going on at the same time. Dribble into the front court, maybe a pass or 2, then iso for a layup/dunk or 3. The term "Jungle Ball" is rightfully so an outdated term usually has relaxed or no rules regarding contact, no fouls or violations, so as it would pertain to AAU the games are officiated differently and tend to allow a little more physical play and overlook many violations.

I'm using context clues to form this opinion, but it is a slippery slope.
Old 03-23-17, 07:52 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tndog View Post
So, is there now a litmus test for small town schools? Their championships only count if they meet some sort of purity standard? I realize last year's John Glenn team was cobbled together with transfers from Zanesville, but so what!?! The argument from the folks in Wayne County and elsewhere is that it is so unfair for my small town school to compete against the big city privates. And, in a lot of respects, I tend to agree. A metro school, whether public or private, has an advantage over a smaller school because there are simply more kids to choose from. And this advantage is more pronounced with private schools (although less so in the age of open enrollment) which can (and have to!) cast a wider net. But it sure seems like the people in New Concord and Defiance and Norwalk and Elida have figured out a way to compete.
Old 03-23-17, 10:41 AM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, is there now a litmus test for small town schools? Their championships only count if they meet some sort of purity standard? I realize last year's John Glenn team was cobbled together with transfers from Zanesville, but so what!?! The argument from the folks in Wayne County and elsewhere is that it is so unfair for my small town school to compete against the big city privates. And, in a lot of respects, I tend to agree. A metro school, whether public or private, has an advantage over a smaller school because there are simply more kids to choose from. And this advantage is more pronounced with private schools (although less so in the age of open enrollment) which can (and have to!) cast a wider net. But it sure seems like the people in New Concord and Defiance and Norwalk and Elida have figured out a way to compete.
Yes they have...for one year, maybe two, but not year after year like their private brethren (not all, just the ones we are always talking about on here). To me that's where the significant difference lies.
Old 03-24-17, 07:45 PM
Junior Varsity

If I'm reading it right, 6/7 finalists this year are from Private schools, we are still waiting on St. Ed's and Jackson...for anyone keeping track that is...